Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

SPD or flats?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

SPD or flats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 10:08 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Nothing works better and costs less than going out for a moderate ride and seeing how it goes.
Repeat often, looking at what works and what doesn't and adjust. It also serves as a training regime to htfu a bit.
I consider myself lucky that I commute daily and ride most weekends so that I am very familiar with how my touring bike performs and how I fit on it. I couldn't imagine buying or building a ride and worrying about performance without a good breaking in period first.

Those who tour for a while generally find a sweet spot that works for them but also get to see other people touring successfully but differently. That diverse exposure helps to keep opinions true for themselves but humble enough to avoid absolutism. Pedals are just one of those things.
Old 05-05-16, 09:17 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Nothing works better and costs less than going out for a moderate ride and seeing how it goes.
Repeat often, looking at what works and what doesn't and adjust. It also serves as a training regime to htfu a bit.
I consider myself lucky that I commute daily and ride most weekends so that I am very familiar with how my touring bike performs and how I fit on it. I couldn't imagine buying or building a ride and worrying about performance without a good breaking in period first.

Those who tour for a while generally find a sweet spot that works for them but also get to see other people touring successfully but differently. That diverse exposure helps to keep opinions true for themselves but humble enough to avoid absolutism. Pedals are just one of those things.
I'd only get a pro-fitting if buying a pricey custom. Experienced riders can just sit on a bike & see if it fits OK though as you note one has to do a real ride (not just around LBS parking lot) to see handling etc.

I prefer riding flats vs previous toe-clips. Quite possible that flats are popular among tourers since one can instinctively position foot in the best position w/o binding or toe-clip interfering?

Rode up a hill today w/flats while paying attention to pedaling/muscles & yes, it's surprising that one can feel like they're pulling up but it's just the effort of lifting legs. Avg leg weighs a surprising 12+ kg. Cut body fat for an upcoming tour & legs spin easier.
Old 05-05-16, 11:12 PM
Happy Feet

I use toe clips on platforms but really only to keep the foot roughly oriented; the straps are not tight. The clips create a sort of backstop for my toes and my foot just rests where it rests. Riding a bicycle ain't rocket surgery as some would suggest

Last weekend I rode up and down part of the Fraser Canyon and this weekend I'm riding another mountain hwy towards Manning, noted on CGOAB as the single hardest day of riding across Canada. In another couple of weeks I'll be doing the Coquihalla pass, a 50 km non stop hill climb to the summit - crank crank crank... all using platforms and a stiff soled shoe. On all of those my goal is low gearing and high spin with little effort, otherwise my knees would give out. I am definitely not strapping in or clipping in and using that attachment so I can put more stress on my knees. I'm pushing myself a bit to train now but on a longer tour the real goal is effortless cycling all day long. People don't "need" to be clipped in for effortless riding, though I don't knock anyone who does it because that is what they prefer or are used to.

Other things that don't necessarily translate directly from road cycling to touring: Shaving your legs and drafting.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-05-16 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 08:18 AM
suburbanbeat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was going to start a new thread to ask this, but this seems like as good a home for my question as any. Has anyone ever used SHIMANO SAINTS on tours? I'm a flat-pedal person myself, but this would be my first time moving away from toe clips, and that makes me a bit nervous. They are also fairly pricey, but apparently bomb-proof. Any thoughts?

Attached Images
Old 05-06-16, 11:09 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Yep, I use Saints on tour, and commuting and around town, all with my Surly Troll. I also have Saints on my fat bike. They are indeed bombproof.
Old 05-06-16, 01:04 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are some here in St. Louis. I sat quietly and watched one at Big Shark , I was impressed. Yes the rotating lasar for knees and ankles. But also upper arm measure, and fore arm measure, same for legs, and a protractor for elbow and knee angles. seat width and sit bone measure. plumb bob to ball of foot. Cleat adjustment. dual scale for front vs rear wheel with cyclist wt.
I don't think I can help with one in Detroit call around.
Old 05-09-16, 04:47 PM
PhilPub

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

If you can wait a month, I'll have a nice review for you on walking long distances on cobblestone streets in the Rumbles!
As of a couple of days ago I can give you a bit more of a review myself! Just back from a 5 day tour and I'm glad to say that on the bike there was plenty enough stiffness in the sole of the Rumbles that I didn't notice any discomfort from 5-7 hours of riding in the day. Also very comfortable to walk in, although I'd occasionally feel a bit of a scrunching with the cleat coming into contact with rough ground. I suppose in theory I'd consider hiking in them after removing the cleat between rides, but I'd be a bit concerned about damaging cleat bolt threads, etc. so more likely in practice to just use non-SPD shoes, since I would definitely have a second pair in my luggage even if trying to pack reasonably light.
Old 05-10-16, 07:34 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilPub
As of a couple of days ago I can give you a bit more of a review myself! Just back from a 5 day tour and I'm glad to say that on the bike there was plenty enough stiffness in the sole of the Rumbles that I didn't notice any discomfort from 5-7 hours of riding in the day. Also very comfortable to walk in, although I'd occasionally feel a bit of a scrunching with the cleat coming into contact with rough ground. I suppose in theory I'd consider hiking in them after removing the cleat between rides, but I'd be a bit concerned about damaging cleat bolt threads, etc. so more likely in practice to just use non-SPD shoes, since I would definitely have a second pair in my luggage even if trying to pack reasonably light.
Good to hear! I am actually not using them with a cleat, and leaving the cover in place, I have toe clips on my pedals. I just wanted something with a stiff sole, walkability, and "normal" shoe look, as I had been having a bit of numbness in my left foot while riding in my indoor soccer gumsole shoes of late and will be on and off the bike regularly enough that I don't want to change.
Old 05-10-16, 01:53 PM
canamdad

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search, 2018 Ritchey Breakaway, 2019 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe someone already mentioned Power Grips. They work on a lot of plain pedals and are easy to get into and out of. I use them on my around town bike as I like the feeling of being attached to the pedal but not having to use a cycling specific shoe. Google to take a look.
Old 05-10-16, 02:32 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by damo010
For me personally I have almost no experience with flats! Nearly all my cycling has been done with SPD and TBH I like the idea of flats but am so very use to SPD now.

"I have a pedal system I'm comfortable with and have experience with. Should I switch to something completely different before I go out on a tour?"

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-10-16, 02:50 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
It's not marketing hype it's real. Sounds like many of the "clipless is unnecessary" folks have not ridden clipless.
The last time I forgot my cycling shoes and rode about 100km in crocs it tore up my legs so bad I could not ride a bicycle for a month, could hardly walk for 2 days. When I go to the grocery in tennis shoes I feel the stress of mis-aligned ankles and knees. Not so with my cycling shoes. I would never ride on flats more than a few miles for fear of significant injury.
Geez it takes about 30 seconds to change shoes , Max. The 1 pr of shoes argument just does not hold water compared to your safety.
That's my experience.
I have 14,725 miles touring on SPD's

Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I'ld use something heavier than a plastic grocery bag or such for the extra shoes on the bicycle. Consider a stuff sack maybe from Rei, or a turkey baking bag.
I can feel my ankles and knees poorly aligned on the 1 mile trip to the grocery. Maybe that's just my anatomy? 60 miles in crocs on Look pedals was a mistake I'll never repeat.
But let me ask, is riding 60 miles in trainers any much better? I'll take your word on it, but I'm not gonna try it.
By the way my around town bicycle does have clips and straps, I feel more secure in those than flats.
My last tour I did 2300 miles in ultralight trainers on flat BMX pedals. NO problem! Including one day >100 miles and many days >60 miles. I understand you admitted what you did in Crocs was moronic (my paraphrase ) but your extrapolating your experience to others is equally misguided.

Last edited by BigAura; 05-10-16 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 06:32 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
"I have a pedal system I'm comfortable with and have experience with. Should I switch to something completely different before I go out on a tour?"
Tis exactly what I'm doing.... Heck, the bike (well, frame) that is supposed to be on a plane next Friday, that I've got exactly two circuits around the apartment complex on, is still on the bike stand with not so much as a headset cup on it

I don't ever suggest my way is a way that anyone should follow!
Old 05-10-16, 09:33 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
I have 14,725 miles touring on SPD's

My last tour I did 2300 miles in ultralight trainers on flat BMX pedals. NO problem! Including one day >100 miles and many days >60 miles. I understand you admitted what you did in Crocs was moronic (my paraphrase ) but your extrapolating your experience to others is equally misguided.
Ultra-light trainers might work better than than the avg one's with thicker soles. I've ridden a lot with flip-flops due to extreme difficulty in finding properly-fitting street or cycling shoes. I don't recommend it but OTOH the flexible flip-flops' soles don't cause as much of a problem as I would have thought. Also I read about some runners who use minimalist thin-sole sandals, just enough protection against gravel/pebbles. Still though, I don't really understand why folks w/o fit problems do big rides w/non-bike shoes.
Old 05-12-16, 12:42 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've used spd clips for touring, and I now think that half spd half platform is the way to go. It's easy enough to use one side for the spd during the serious riding days, and the platform side is there when you just want to chill around the block in flip flops.
Old 05-12-16, 04:21 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spectastic
I've used spd clips for touring, and I now think that half spd half platform is the way to go. It's easy enough to use one side for the spd during the serious riding days, and the platform side is there when you just want to chill around the block in flip flops.
Yep!!
Old 05-12-16, 05:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
FWIW, I recently bought a pair of these:

https://www.rei.com/product/892627/p...ike-shoes-mens

Have used them for two three-day tours and general riding/commuting. Stiff soles with very comfortable uppers. Like most shoes of its type, you can use them with or without cleats.
Old 05-12-16, 08:26 AM
Happy Feet

I have a pair of similar shimano's. Just a stiff soled shoe that I took the cleat off of and use on platforms.

Originally Posted by spectastic
Depends though on what you use. If you really only use clips or platforms you have a pedal that you can only use one side of. It would annoy the heck out of me to have to flip the pedal around every time I put my foot on it, especially if by weight it always oriented the way I didn't need it.

But if you use both systems then it is a good compromise.
Old 05-12-16, 10:27 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have a pair of similar shimano's. Just a stiff soled shoe that I took the cleat off of and use on platforms.

Depends though on what you use. If you really only use clips or platforms you have a pedal that you can only use one side of. It would annoy the heck out of me to have to flip the pedal around every time I put my foot on it, especially if by weight it always oriented the way I didn't need it.

But if you use both systems then it is a good compromise.
that's what I thought when i first bought dual sided spd pedals.. however, I find that finding the spd side is a very minor inconvenience, and that the luxury to pedal around town without having to put on spd shoes is actually a pretty nifty thing. in my opinion, unless for competition, the spd/platform style pedals are the way to go