Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 07:38 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I rode a VAAST for 1/2 of the summer last tear and was very impressed. As a stock bike you just cannot do better for under $2,000. Extremely comfortable and light too. Magnesium is 20x more dampening than steel, yet 2x the strength of titanium and still 1/3 lighter than aluminum. A super metal for bikes that costs just a bit more than aluminum!
Originally Posted by jetboy
Just make sure to keep it sealed up. Any exposure to air/elements and it can corrode and fail from the inside out. (And you don't see it coming- ask why they stopped making magnesium motorcycle wheels).
(Ps I have a magnesium bike myself ..so not saying it's a bad idea...just know what you are getting into)
I ride/prefer steel bikes from an era when 9-speed was a stock set up. While not so interested in more modern bikes, if I did pop for something new..Vaast has my attention.

I've heard about the Mg corrosion issues..Vaast addresses this on their website.. You think the issue has been resolved?

From Vaast:
"The main disadvantage of vintage cast magnesium wheels was their low corrosion resistance. Since then scientists and engineers have investigated the superior characteristics of magnesium to find a solution to the problem. Today, new magnesium surface treatment technologies have completely resolved the issue, allowing manufacturers to provide extended warranties on magnesium wheels (up to 10 years in some cases). As an example, in 2014/2015 60% of buyers of Porsche 918 Spyder have opted for the forged magnesium wheels package."

"Before paint, all of our Super Mag™ frames are treated with a proprietary Plasma Electrolytic Oxidation (PEO) coating that produces a hard, dense finish optimized to provide corrosion protection, wear resistance, improved hardness, strain tolerance, and improved fatigue performance inside and out…and a better bonding surface for durably cool colors and effects."
Old 09-01-23, 08:11 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
I ride/prefer steel bikes from an era when 9-speed was a stock set up. While not so interested in more modern bikes, if I did pop for something new..Vaast has my attention.

I've heard about the Mg corrosion issues..Vaast addresses this on their website.. You think the issue has been resolved?

From Vaast:
"The main disadvantage of vintage cast magnesium wheels was their low corrosion resistance. Since then scientists and engineers have investigated the superior characteristics of magnesium to find a solution to the problem. Today, new magnesium surface treatment technologies have completely resolved the issue, allowing manufacturers to provide extended warranties on magnesium wheels (up to 10 years in some cases). As an example, in 2014/2015 60% of buyers of Porsche 918 Spyder have opted for the forged magnesium wheels package."

"Before paint, all of our Super Mag™ frames are treated with a proprietary Plasma Electrolytic Oxidation (PEO) coating that produces a hard, dense finish optimized to provide corrosion protection, wear resistance, improved hardness, strain tolerance, and improved fatigue performance inside and out…and a better bonding surface for durably cool colors and effects."
I would say nothing has intrinsically changed: I am sure coating tech has improved but still any chip or damage of any sort that penetrates is an entry point - so its just something to be aware of. I am not sure Porsche 918 drivers take their car off road -which the very purpose of a gravel bike - also car wheels are cast and quite thick. it could take years for the corrosion to spread till breaking as the sheer volume of magnesium it needs to eat through(maybe 10!- thus the warranty) bike frame tubing is very thin and relies on its shape and integrity to maintain its structure. it would take far less for it to fail. .

Again, I have a magnesium bike so don't take this as a hater. Just be informed and take care and inspect your frame -- titanium it aint.
Old 09-05-23, 08:11 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Likes For EnzoRWD:
Old 09-23-23, 05:47 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
SO after 10 weeks of having to be completely non-mobile, because a cager ran a stop sign and T-boned me, resulting in multiple fractures to foot, ankle and lower leg.
Labor day deals rolled around and I figured a New Bike was just what the doctor ordered....
SO I ordered me one of these

NINER RLT RDO 2-STAR
Looked at a bunch of other CF bikes (and the VAAST...) and decided this was the one for me - had everything I wanted in the config I wanted.
Got the OK to try some light load mobility on my left leg - Doc was thinking some shuffling around with a walker (which I did do also...)
I also figured 'one-legged' cycling would be an appropriate therapy for my recovery... 3 days on a fluid trainer convinced me, again, how awful a trainer can be...
So, gingerly, I got on my older gravel bike and rode around the neighborhood for 2 days. All good! That's when I got the 'New Bike itch'.
Voila !
Just enough pressure on the bad foot/leg to keep the sandal on the pedal during a pedal rev, and the right leg doing 97% of the work...
Low gears, mostly road w/ some light gravel path also, and a comfortable spin for any terrain - but no serious uphill...
So, after 2.5 weeks 'cycling therapy' and 300 miles, using flat pedals, wearing a river/water sandal on my bandaged foot/leg and a flat MTB shoe on the other - I love this bike!
I really like the APEX 1 drivetrain/brakes, saddle is middlin but ok.
Mostly I'm super happy to be out of 'isolation' !
I will be selling an older (1 yr old) Gravel bike - the NINER suits me very well.
When things are not quite as rosy as one could hope for - going for a ride, is again, a great way to love life !
Rode On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-23-23 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-23-23, 09:07 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I don't think I ever showed off the kid's bikes in here, just my rock lobster. Since today is the first time ever taking pics of just the bikes, here they are waiting for the hose down.

10yo's is a Worx aluminum frame/carbon fork with 12sp rival and hydraulic disc. Its running 1x since there's no 145mm 12sp double crankset I've found, went with a bmx crank. Wheels are my wife's old touring wheel, XT hubs with WTB inferno 23 MTB rims built 32h with wheelsmith XL spokes so not too heavy. Bar tape is purple in case you can't tell.

13yo is running a Milwaukee frameset with a mostly Rival groupset. After her first grand fondo I had to ditch the 1x and she was tall enough, so I bought a previous gen Force crankset. Wheels are Mavic CXP pro carbon rims, 35mm deep built with King hubs.

Little upscale for the usual kid's bike but the 10yo snagged 4th while the 13yo podiumed in 2nd and they don't mind getting them muddy. Tomorrow I'll have to rewax the chains I suspect.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 10-09-23, 12:45 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Old 11-14-23, 07:29 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts

1972. 8 speed IGH. Dyno front hub. 700x42c.

Kubota 4130 chrome molly butted tubing

Last edited by chain_whipped; 11-15-23 at 12:41 PM.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 11-14-23, 07:45 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
The main gravel bike:

This abomination that I built, it's also my CX bike:

Finally, one of my road bikes with its "groad" wheel set up. 99.9% of the time it's running 50mm deep hoops with GP5000s, but occasionally I throw a cheap alluminum wheelset on with 32mm tires(for light gravel.)
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 11-19-23, 10:19 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
My latest project - classic steel Salsa El Mariachi MTB has been sitting, unused for years now since I started riding my full squish MTB's. My friends do a lot of gravel riding in the winter and encouraged me to join in the fun, so I decided to convert. It's a "mullet" in every sense of the word - mix of Shimano, SRAM, MicroShift, TRP, and Sunrace, but everything works perfectly and after a few rides, I'm loving it. That classic steel frame and longer wheelbase is really comfortable, and it's smooth and fast. A bit of a weight penalty, but I'm not racing - it's a winter bike for training, fitness, and fun.

BTW - the MicroShift 110 levers are specifically designed to work with Shimano 11s mountain bike derailleurs - and I can attest that they are a perfect match. Once tuned up, I never miss a shift. Worthwhile - and much less expensive than a full gear swap.

Likes For tgenec86:
Old 11-26-23, 10:17 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
I liked my Domane SL so much that I got its country cousin:

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 11-27-23, 11:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
New frame!!!...with (mostly) parts from the old frame. Niner RLT 9 RDO (53cm).

The build of this thing became a battle. Everything went smooth and easy until the final step of installing the brakes. With the old calipers, I blew out a seal on the front, and couldn't get it resolved, so I took it as an excuse to update to newer Ultegra 8070 calipers. Mounting the new rear caliper, the threads for both mounting bolts stripped, which cost me another new caliper. Bleeding the rear was a bit of a pain, but it got resolved, and I got decent performance out of it pretty quickly. With the front, I could not get a decent lever feel, not matter what I did, and once I finally got it to be moderately usable, the pads would glaze almost immediately, and the brake would howl something fierce. I cleaned the rotor with alcohol multiple times, changed pads, sanded pads, and changed pads again. I finally just took it for a ride...

...and everything was fine.

The front brake bedded in, and bumping around shook the bubbles out of the system, I guess. Whatever it was, it worked.

The handling is a little quicker than my previous bike, but I like it. Being able to run up to 50mm tires is a definite bonus. I'm currently running the 40mm version of my favorite combination - Pirelli Gravel H and M. They're a little more sluggish on the road than the 35s I was using before, but not bad. The additional cushion in the dirt is definitely appreciated.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-27-23 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-28-23, 11:32 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
New frame!!!...with (mostly) parts from the old frame. Niner RLT 9 RDO (53cm).
The build of this thing became a battle. Everything went smooth and easy until the final step of installing the brakes. With the old calipers, I blew out a seal on the front, and couldn't get it resolved, so I took it as an excuse to update to newer Ultegra 8070 calipers. Mounting the new rear caliper, the threads for both mounting bolts stripped, which cost me another new caliper. Bleeding the rear was a bit of a pain, but it got resolved, and I got decent performance out of it pretty quickly. With the front, I could not get a decent lever feel, not matter what I did, and once I finally got it to be moderately usable, the pads would glaze almost immediately, and the brake would howl something fierce. I cleaned the rotor with alcohol multiple times, changed pads, sanded pads, and changed pads again. I finally just took it for a ride...

...and everything was fine.

The front brake bedded in, and bumping around shook the bubbles out of the system, I guess. Whatever it was, it worked.

The handling is a little quicker than my previous bike, but I like it. Being able to run up to 50mm tires is a definite bonus. I'm currently running the 40mm version of my favorite combination - Pirelli Gravel H and M. They're a little more sluggish on the road than the 35s I was using before, but not bad. The additional cushion in the dirt is definitely appreciated.
That's a nice frame! It's probably one of the last carbon gravel frames that allow a clamp on FD. If you want to get a few more bubbles out of the hydraulic hose lines, you can attach a funnel with some mineral oil to the shifters and squeeze out any additional bubbles. I even slightly tilt my bike to force more bubbles out. Works great without having to do a full bleed. I'd also consider fin brake pads later on. I find they actually help keep the calipers cooler on the steep single track trail descents.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-28-23, 11:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
That's a nice frame! It's probably one of the last carbon gravel frames that allow a clamp on FD. If you want to get a few more bubbles out of the hydraulic hose lines, you can attach a funnel with some mineral oil to the shifters and squeeze out any additional bubbles. I even slightly tilt my bike to force more bubbles out. Works great without having to do a full bleed. I'd also consider fin brake pads later on. I find they actually help keep the calipers cooler on the steep single track trail descents.
I've done all of that...and more. Since I was running new hoses in a new frame, I had no choice but to do a full bleed. I hunted down every trick and tip I could find regarding brake bleeding, and tried it all. In the end, it sorted itself out, and I greatly expanded my knowledge of hydraulic disc brake systems. The L05A pads that come standard with the new Ultegra 8070 calipers are finned. They are the same pads as the older Ultegra calipers, too.
Old 11-29-23, 03:04 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
L05A pads replaced the L03A pads (which replaced the L02A pads)

had squealing issue with one bike equipped with contaminated L03A pads - no amount of cleaning / sanding / scuffing / alignment of pads or rotors would correct … new L05A pads solved the issue
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-10-23, 07:55 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Bike Friday All Packa. They say you have to run fatter tires on a 20" bike to simulate the ride/comfort of ~40mm+ tires on a 700c bike. So these are Schwalbe Marathon 365 2.4". It's a hoot to ride but it's definitely more engaging than a 700c bike. My partner's Long Haul Trucker, for example, feels like a Lincoln Continental vs. this VW Rabbit All Packa.

Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 01-19-24, 09:13 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts

13yo's new cross bike, mix of D1 and D2 Force AXS. Took her to have a professional fitting yesterday, typical girl, too much leg not enough torso. That's a 70mm stem to get the right fit. I have the hubs to match the headset but can't pick up the rims till probably March.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-23-24, 04:43 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Waiting for my bronchitis to go kick the bucket so I can go ride this

Likes For DarKris:
Old 01-23-24, 05:06 PM
Samac

Bikes: ‘23 Salsa Cutthroat, ‘12 Cannondale Synapse, ‘09 Cannondale Rize, ‘00 Jamis Tangier, ‘87 Trek 1000

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Hope you feel better soon, DarKris. What kind of fork are you running on that? This is a drop bar conversion, correct?

Cheers,

Scott
Old 01-25-24, 09:10 PM
Samac

Bikes: ‘23 Salsa Cutthroat, ‘12 Cannondale Synapse, ‘09 Cannondale Rize, ‘00 Jamis Tangier, ‘87 Trek 1000

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Looking forward for the weather to break. Should be a fun time.

Cheers,

Scott
Likes For Samac:
Old 01-29-24, 09:43 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Winter '23 project bike. Went with a wide flat bar set up with a mix of parts bin & new parts. And a little paint customization. First ride of the year on a new bike!

Likes For commo_soulja:
Old 02-04-24, 10:58 PM
jonathanf2

I've accumulated way too many spare parts, so I've opted to assemble a commuter gravel frame. Though I did have to buy some new cabling housing and an FD clamp. The rest of this build was sourced from my parts bin! Even the tubes were old TPU tubes that were punctured and later patched!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 02-07-24 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-06-24, 01:20 PM
Cyclohi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool bike!
Old 02-06-24, 03:48 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Cyclohi
Cool bike!
I hate to admit it, but I have way too many spare parts laying around trying to chase performance and weight weenie gains. Though along the way I've really honed my bike tuning skills (after assembling several framesets). This bike was actually fun to put together because I wasn't aiming for performance, but something a casual cyclist would enjoy while making sure everything was tuned perfectly. The chain is immersive waxed, the derailleurs finely indexed and every screw hole has a dab of Shimano premium yellow grease!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-06-24, 04:40 PM
Caliwild

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 287 Posts
Stigmata

Posted here before, but here she is with new rubber and contact points...

Old 02-06-24, 04:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Posted here before, but here she is with new rubber and contact points...

That is a very good looking gravel bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.