Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Profile hub flange cracks

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 07:01 PM
Jeremy967tree4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Under normal cruising street conditions on a 29" BMX (S&M ATF) with Profile Elite hubs professionally laced, my front hub flange has cracked twice. The rear cracked once. The first time my foot stuck in the front spokes and pulled two spokes hard enough to break a chunk off the flange. The hub shell was replaced through warranty. I assembled the new wheel and experienced the same type of break on the flange, but the reason is unknown. The third time was my rear Profile Elite hub flange. All breaks look as if it was a pulling force. I only cruise the streets. I do not bunny hop, jump, etc... It's just crazy to me. All hubs were gloss or flat black. This post is mostly to tell the story, but if you have input, please give. Aloha

I am too new to post a photo....?
Old 07-23-23, 11:05 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
5 posts a day for newbies and 10 posts for photos. But you can load photos into your album and we forum rats can see and embed them.

With three hub failures I'd go asking about the build. Lacing and tension and spoke choice.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-23-23 at 11:07 AM. Reason: imbed embed imbued
Old 07-23-23, 11:56 AM
Jeremy967tree4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
5 posts a day for newbies and 10 posts for photos. But you can load photos into your album and we forum rats can see and embed them.

With three hub failures I'd go asking about the build. Lacing and tension and spoke choice.
Thanks for the reply. I have had numerous wheels built by this same shop. I am waiting for his reply to see if this is some sort of trend outside of my own hub failures. I have been using Profile with DTSwiss forever and a day. This almost feels like some sort of vandalism, but there is no other evidence to support it. Time will tell I suppose. It is just really odd. Aloha
Old 07-24-23, 08:29 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I had similar problems with Onyx BMX race hubs. I warranteed several hubs over a period of 5 years for cracked flanges both front and rear. I finally gave up and just went with Profile hubs and have not had a problem since.
I have no explanation why it kept happening. The spokes were tensioned according to Onyx's specs with a normal 3x lacing pattern, Sapim Race spokes. I was using them for BMX racing, which is what they were designed for. I wasn't abusing them. I am not a heavy person. I did not have extraordinary crashes with them. I've never had a problem with any other hub.
Old 07-27-23, 08:40 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
When I worked in a shop last, the resident bmx guy told me Profile stuff isn't really any better than other brands. They just have the MUSA angle and are willing to (usually) stand behind their products when QC issues arrise. IMHO, if you really want bombproof, then Phil is the only answer.