Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

How's biking in Denver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 03:07 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's biking in Denver?

I work for Nike and am considering a move to the Denver area as Nike is moving some departments out of Oregon. We've been given the chance to move to Denver, Sioux Falls, Albuquerque, or Minneapolis and Denver is by far the most appealing of the four.

Our offices will be in Westminster. I don't drive so am wondering how the biking is around the Westminster area? Could I live in the city and safely bike to Westminster?

Would love to hear locals thoughts about the city and am open to suggestions.
Old 07-16-17, 06:22 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I live just a little north of Westminster (in Broomfield) and ride/take the bus to work every day in Aurora (E of downtown). So I do intermodal transport daily. 15 miles of biking, about 8 miles of bus. If you lived downtown, you could bike to Westminster: take the S Platte trail out of downtown, then connect to the Clear Creek trail, then Lowell Blvd, then the US 36 bikeway to get to Westminster. The S Platte trail has some people "camping" (squatting) along it, I haven't ridden through that section much and I don't know if it would be much of an issue. There was a thread a while ago about someone concerned for their safety in that stretch, I don't know if that's really warranted. There are other options to get north from downtown, including RTD bus (they all have a front bike rack that's free to use, if that's full your bike goes in the luggage bays)
Old 07-16-17, 06:44 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)
Liked 5,547 Times in 2,878 Posts
Here is the Denver bike map: https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...bike-maps.html
When I lived in Denver, I did a lot of biking around Denver.

But now I live in Broomfield, literally next door to Westminster, and I never bike in Denver.
There are just too many better places to go.

Last year the US 36 Bike Path opened, and you can ride from 88th St in Westminster...to Broomfield...to Superior...to Louisville...to Boulder. 15 miles w/o a stop sign, nor stop light, nor motor vehicle.

Lots of canyons to climb, as well as Lookout Mt (overlooks Golden), and Flagstaff Mt (overlooks Boulder).

Here is the CDOT state bike map: https://www.codot.gov/programs/bikep...bicycling-maps
Old 09-15-17, 05:04 PM
BluGnat
Happy Hack

Bikes: '14 Giant MTB and a 2018 BMC Alpenchallenge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Westminster (US36/Church Ranch area), and would LOVE to ride to work (Uptown Denver) but can't stomach the narrow, scary (to me) Lowell portion. Having said that, x2 on the US36 Bikeway. Also, the Big Dry Creek Trail is right there, as well, if you like more gravel.

Also, re: not having a car - with a combo of your bike and the public transportation (or just public trans), I think you can get pretty much anywhere along the front range. I've heard (and seen) that the public transportation system is pretty amazing here.
Old 09-16-17, 07:48 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
OP is a banned sock puppet.