Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

LFS having sale, shopping for first Roadbike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 04:54 PM
decosse

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Oops! LBS* Apologies in advance for rambling, if you'd like to cut to the chase, the bottom paragraph will do it.

Tomorrow my favorite LBS is have their bike clearance sale, and I'm ready to move up from my Vita Sport hybrid to a road bike ( I think ) I thought I had an idea of my size, but things just got a little more confusing.

Background- I'm a woman in my extremely late (lol) 50's, and hadn't been on a bike in 40+ years until 18 months ago. And I had never ridden a real road bike until 2 days ago. Cruisers and an old Raleigh Sport as a kid, then started back on a Bianchi Milano (city bike). A year ago I got a Specialized Vita (a woman's Sirrus) and have had a blast with it- but doing charity/ group rides are a challenge- the Vita is fast for a hybrid, but it's tough to keep up and after 2 hours, everything is either numb or hurts. It's a fitness bike, not endurance.

I decided the only way to see if a road bike was easier, faster, etc was to rent one, and my favorite LBS has a demo program which refunds your rental if you buy within 30 days.

So here is where the confusion starts. My Vita is an XL, equivalent to an L Sirrus. It's long wheel-based, very lanky, and fitted to me. In the last year, I have visited different LBS around town, shopping around. In two shops, both run by semi-retired pro road racers, both said they'd try me on a 58cm and go from there. A couple of younger guys at my LBS and a Cannondale shop said 56cm for sure.

The kicker is my LBS guy who rented me the Roubaix SL-4, put me on a 54cm. I questioned him, and he told me to try it, and if I had a problem with it, to come back. Since I was doing a 14 mile loop around the area, ok. And I was pleasantly surprised.

He gave his reasons why when I got back. A Roubaix is relaxed geometry, and he didn't want me stretching. I'd never used road bike shifter/brakes before (Vita is an Acera Rapidfire Triple) so he wanted to keep some weight off my arms while I got used to the shifting and switching to drops (which I'd never done before either).

Impressions- very comfortable, easy to ride. I didn't feel cramped, though I definitely wished for longer cranks and/or higher seat. I liked not reaching and my back and shoulders really liked it-no pain there like I usually have. It climbs much faster, and I could run it harder on the flat. I use the Cyclometer app, and went on the same 14 mile route I've done a half dozen times on the Vita, and despite fumbling shifts, not hammering downhills (not used to the brakes-harder pull unless your in drops), taking 100 yards to get clipped in (egg beater type SPD vs my MTB style SPDs) and too short cranks, I beat my best time.

I'll be looking at endurance style road bikes only tomorrow, so it will likely be Roubiax, Sectuer, Ruby, Dolce, and Lapierre Sensium.

Question is what size? Best measurements I could get are Bike inseam: 32.5" , height 70", arm (from collar bone at shoulder to palm) 25.5", torso (from upper crotch to hollow of neck) 23.5". The websites with fitting tools have me at 55, 55.5, 56 and 57. And suggest I not discount a 54 or 58 depending on geometry.

(Sigh) Opinions?
Thanks!

Last edited by decosse; 11-21-14 at 03:24 AM. Reason: lol, local bike* shop. Don't think my local fish shop has bikes
Old 11-20-14, 05:30 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The bike shop folks will determine the right sized bike for you.
Let us know what you get.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-20-14, 08:08 PM
Igualmente

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree... the bike shop people should be able to get a good fit for you. That said, here are my reactions to your story:

1) I would think a 58 cm road bike would be too big because it would require you to reach too far forward. Your Vita XL, which might not fit properly if you have back and shoulder pain riding it, has a 580mm top tube length, but with flat handlebars. If you had a road bike with the same length top tube, the hoods would be farther forward which would demand a longer reach. This might be harder on your back and shoulders.

Note that I'm only slightly taller than you and ride a 56 size endurance geometry.

2) You rode a 54 Roubaix (which has a 548mm top tube) without it feeling wrong and without pain. That sounds like a good starting point. Maybe also try riding something one size up or with a slightly longer top tube (a 56 Roubaix or other bike with a top tube length in the 550-565mm range).

3) You said you wished for a higher seat on the test ride? Presumably it could have been raised? The one warning sign is that raising the saddle will require you to lean down to the handlebars further. So, if on your test ride the seat was way too low (an inch or more), maybe that is why your back and shoulders were happy. Maybe not, though.

Regardless of the above comments, it sounds like you have good options at bike shops for getting the right size.
Old 11-20-14, 08:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3911 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,398 Posts
It sounds to me like you are getting into the sport and already have some commitment to it. In which case, well, it's a lifetime sport. You might be riding this bike for 10-15 years or as long as you can get components for it. Which brings up a possible concern: sort of like buying a computer, you want to buy a device near the start of its life cycle. So probably 11 speed bike. Which I think means a compact. And you'll have to think about what cassette to get, if that makes any difference.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I suggest buying for the long term rather than trying to get a fit closer to what you have now. I suggest going for the full roadie fit. This is the best thing I've seen on fitting/being on a bike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z04uoO7U_SA

You can ignore the stuff about pedaling, maybe come back to that later, maybe weeks later. But look at her position, back angle, upper arms coming off her torso at 90°, good reach to the bars, and especially her balance on the saddle. You can see she has a lot of reach, but very little weight on her hands. You may or may not be flexible enough to get into the same positions she uses, but you will be able to if you ride your new bike. Buy a properly sized bike and let your bike teach you how to ride - that's how one buys a new pair of skis for instance. The skis teach you what to do with them.

Similarly, look at the positions of the riders in this post:
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post12953035

You can ignore the stuff about hands for now, but come back to it later. For now this is just for the photos. This is what it's supposed to look like. Get a bike that will enable you to look like this, too. If not now, in the near future. Because you won't believe how much fun it's going to be to own a fast road bike.
Old 11-20-14, 09:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

When I'm looking for a new bike, I get the shop to put the bike on a trainer, preferably in front of a mirror, and have the LBS' fitter work with me on position, try different things, move the saddle around, maybe even swap stems. You're paying a lot of money and you want the right thing. Once you have the fit dialed on the trainer, then take the bike for a ride. Huge difference having it fitted perfectly for you before going outside. Can't evaluate a bike fairly any other way, IMO.
Old 11-21-14, 04:44 AM
decosse

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and encouragement!

Originally Posted by RonH
The bike shop folks will determine the right sized bike for you....
They've been pretty good, so hopefully...

Originally Posted by Igualmente
I agree...... here are my reactions to your story:

1) I would think a 58 cm road bike would be too big because it would require you to reach too far forward. Your Vita XL, which might not fit properly if you have back and shoulder pain riding it, has a 580mm top tube length, but with flat handlebars. If you had a road bike with the same length top tube, the hoods would be farther forward which would demand a longer reach. This might be harder on your back and shoulders.

Note that I'm only slightly taller than you and ride a 56 size endurance geometry.

2) You rode a 54 Roubaix (which has a 548mm top tube) without it feeling wrong and without pain. That sounds like a good starting point. Maybe also try riding something one size up or with a slightly longer top tube (a 56 Roubaix or other bike with a top tube length in the 550-565mm range).

3) You said you wished for a higher seat on the test ride? Presumably it could have been raised? The one warning sign is that raising the saddle will require you to lean down to the handlebars further. So, if on your test ride the seat was way too low (an inch or more), maybe that is why your back and shoulders were happy. Maybe not, though....
I'm thinking the Vita may need adjusting. The fit was optimized to get my legs in exactly the right position, but after riding the Roubaix, I think I have too much weight on my hands and I'm stretching.

The Roubaix indeed felt very good with the exception that I wanted to extend my legs more. The seat position itself felt good, too, and they did raise it to where it was just a hair above the steering post. (you can see the seat position here) I almost think longer cranks would've helped that. From that, and what you've said, I'm thinking- the 56 would be a very good starting point. I notice the 56 cranks are 5 mm longer, too

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It sounds to me like you are getting into the sport and already have some commitment to it...... you want to buy a device near the start of its life cycle. So probably 11 speed bike. Which I think means a compact. And you'll have to think about what cassette to get, if that makes any difference.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I suggest buying for the long term rather than trying to get a fit closer to what you have now. I suggest going for the full roadie fit. This is the best thing I've seen on fitting/being on a bike:

..... look at her position, back angle, upper arms coming off her torso at 90°, good reach to the bars, and especially her balance on the saddle. You can see she has a lot of reach, but very little weight on her hands. You may or may not be flexible enough to get into the same positions she uses, but you will be able to if you ride your new bike. Buy a properly sized bike and let your bike teach you how to ride - that's how one buys a new pair of skis for instance. The skis teach you what to do with them.

Similarly, look at the positions of the riders in this post:

You can ignore the stuff about hands for now, but come back to it later. For now this is just for the photos. This is what it's supposed to look like. Get a bike that will enable you to look like this, too. If not now, in the near future. Because you won't believe how much fun it's going to be to own a fast road bike.
Yes, I have caught the bug-I've ridden the Vita over 3000 miles in the last year. The Roubaix SL-4 and the LaPierre are both upgradable. The Roubaix also was a double, and I found I could stay on the big ring even on climbs. Thanks for the links, they are going to help a lot! Interesting techniques, and yes, I can see how things should look.

When I'm looking for a new bike, I get the shop to put the bike on a trainer, preferably in front of a mirror, and have the LBS' fitter work with me on position, try different things, move the saddle around, maybe even swap stems. You're paying a lot of money and you want the right thing. Once you have the fit dialed on the trainer, then take the bike for a ride. Huge difference having it fitted perfectly for you before going outside. Can't evaluate a bike fairly any other way, IMO.
This LBS does have a good fitting setup, they said they would do a complete one for me. I'd not thought about putting it on the trainer before buying, a great idea. I'm sure they'd do it as long as they have a serious buyer. You can tell so much more from that than a ride around the parking lot.

Thanks again! I'll let you know what happens-even if there is nothing for me at this sale, I'll know how to look!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20141118_001.jpg (107.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-22-14, 01:29 AM
decosse

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Well, the sale had some interesting bikes -some NOS Cannondales- CAAD and Six they dug out of the warehouse , a few years old, kinda rough. Some cruisers, a few really nice '14 road and Mtn bikes that were either very high end or odd sizes. Nothing that I wanted/could afford/ and or fit.

That being said, we did establish that a 56cm is right for me. The sales person was trying different sizes- we knew a 54 was small, tried a 57cm Dolce entry level. At first they were saying it looked like a possible fit, but it was not a good looking bike, and frankly it felt big. They finally found a 15 Roubaix Sora in 56, and just getting on it felt right. They said it the same time I did. Unfortunately 56cm Roubaix of any level sell out every year, so they don't go on sale However, in the next week or two they are working on a discount- maybe low retail and/or 10% off. In all honesty, they can sell all the Roubaix they can get, so it won't be much. Oh and it will include a full body geometry fit. So we will see! Thanks for all the advice, it established a direction to go and kept things focused
Old 12-19-14, 06:57 PM
decosse

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Follow Up

Originally Posted by RonH
The bike shop folks will determine the right sized bike for you.
Let us know what you get.
I finally got my road bike- a 55cm Lapierre Sensium -and at a nice sale price My guy at the LBS went over geometry charts, and the Lapierre has the same size top tube as a 56 Roubaix, and share similar other measurements. Once it came in, we did a fitting-it took about 45 minutes. The seat position was optimized first, then we went to the handlebars. Because I'd never had a road bike, it was decided to do a (for lack of better term) soft fit at first. The 110mm stem was replaced by a 100mm and turned up. My salesman knows me pretty well and is their primary fitter- he sold me the Vita a year ago. He said as I learn and progress physically, he will refit me. It's all part of their service after the sale. He analyzed my pedaling while I was on the trainer, and made a few suggestions as to technique and to how to strengthen my core. I know my shoes are marginal, so I'll be watching for sales.

Thanks again to you all for the advice and encouragement!

Attached Images
WP_20141218_11_48_17_ev1_edit.jpg (104.6 KB, 105 views)
WP_20141219_12_35_06_ev1_Pro.jpg (109.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by decosse; 12-21-14 at 04:35 AM. Reason: photo link wasn't working correctly
Old 12-21-14, 03:40 PM
Doc V

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. Let the addiction begin. It looks like your shop did a good sizing of the bike since they fit you by the top tube length. Also your fitter is correct that as you progress you will adjust your fit. Next stop is seeing if the stock saddle will work for you, but of course that requires miles in the saddle so have fun.
Old 12-23-14, 01:59 PM
decosse

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc V
Congrats on your new bike. Let the addiction begin. It looks like your shop did a good sizing of the bike since they fit you by the top tube length. Also your fitter is correct that as you progress you will adjust your fit. Next stop is seeing if the stock saddle will work for you, but of course that requires miles in the saddle so have fun.
Thanks! . I've only been able to ride three times so far, (about 14-15 miles each time) but what a difference! Compared to my other bike, it accelerates like a rocket. I have also discovered triceps . The seat is a Selle Italia X1, and seems pretty comfortable. Actually, I don't even notice it when riding-and that is a good thing. We'll see how it feels when weather, work, and headcolds allow a 25-30 miler.
Old 05-30-15, 04:34 PM
decosse

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Update on fit

Originally Posted by Doc V
You were spot on The saddle was fine for 10-15 mile rides, but once I started 20 mile rides, it became uncomfortable, as you and my LBS guy had hinted. I valiantly tried to HTFU, but when I upped to a 32 mile ride preparing for the 40 mile Tour de Summerlin, I had to cry "uncle". My backside was so sore I stood and coasted the last 5 miles-which was downhill, thank god. Though my LBS allows 30 day trials on saddles I only had 2 days before the TdS, so I tried a couple for ten mile circuits. My fitter sat me on a memory foam pad and used ball bearings in the indentations to measure sit bones. I ended up going with an Oura Expert Gel - Specialized Bicycle Components. I thought it might be too aggressive, but it almost "locked" me in place, and for the first time, I was actually riding on my sit bones, not pelvic bones. So a quick fitting adjustment on the trainer, and the next day, the Tour. Yep, I finished, somwhere south of the middle (but not last in ) . I was sore (the tour has around 2800 ft of climbing) but all over

The bike had been starting to feel a little tight riding as well, climbing I actually was resting my palms the topmost part of the hoods. My fitter suggested we adjust that after the ride, one change at a time was best. So 2 weeks after, we flipped the stem down, did a quick fitting adjustment and yep, I like it! He said we'd switch the stem out to the original 110, maybe even 120 after a couple more months. You can see the progress if you compare the above photos with these-

It sounds to me like you are getting into the sport and already have some commitment to it. In which case, well, it's a lifetime sport...

....I suggest buying for the long term rather than trying to get a fit closer to what you have now. I suggest going for the full roadie fit. This is the best thing I've seen on fitting/being on a bike:

....Buy a properly sized bike and let your bike teach you how to ride - that's how one buys a new pair of skis for instance. The skis teach you what to do with them...

....Similarly, look at the positions of the riders in this post:

....Get a bike that will enable you to look like this, too. If not now, in the near future. Because you won't believe how much fun it's going to be to own a fast road bike.
The links are still proving to be very useful, and mean more as I learn more. As my fitness increases and abdominals gain strength, it becomes easier to maintain a proper position, and remember not to clench my arms or hunch my shoulders. I've also learned to do stretches even on brief rest stops.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I have learned so much from the forum in the last couple of years- I can go to any LBS and appear to be knowledgeable, or at least having a clue It has saved me a lot of time and money as well.
Attached Images
WP_20150516_12_31_56_Pro.jpg (95.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by decosse; 06-03-15 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-30-15, 05:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by decosse
Y<snip> I ended up going with an Oura Expert Gel - Specialized Bicycle Components. I thought it might be too aggressive, but it almost "locked" me in place, and for the first time, I was actually riding on my sit bones, not pelvic bones. <snip>
Good job! That's the same saddle my wife uses. She's done double centuries on it. The sit bones do take some breaking in, sure enough.
Old 05-31-15, 12:52 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The thing about saddles and bike fitting in general is that sometimes the difference between pain and bliss is minute. No doubt people vary in the degree of sensitivity between fit and comfort. For myself and many others, tiny differences in saddle tilt can make a world of difference.

After fooling around this Spring with several saddles that ought to work but never have, I went back to the old saddle which suddenly did not seem right either. I had inadvertently set the nose a fraction of a degree too high. After re-leveling with greater care, comfort was back. I have also found that by midsummer after accumulating more miles, I like the bars a bit lower. So best fit is a moving target that varies over time.