Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tires for wet weather riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tires for wet weather riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 06:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
As far as tread promoting grip, I fell last year in the wet on an off camber corner. The pavement was old concrete aggregate, where the surface was made entirely of polished stone marbles. No way was tread going to help there. My tires did in fact have small ripply tread on the cornering area, though smooth in the center.
Well, the tread pattern needs to be scaled for the road surface. Tiny file patterns aren't meant to work on macro deformities like polished stone aggregate, but rather on typical asphalt surfaces.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
As for those Ritchey Tom Slicks: well, for one thing they aren't a smooth tire, and for another, they have perhaps the worst wet weather rubber I've seen.
Hmm, you may be right; it was a long time ago, so maybe I'm not remembering the pattern or the brand correctly. Probably they were Specialized Fat Boys, because I remember them being perfectly smooth, and I was on Specialized tire kick back then. The Ground Control Extreme was my rear tire! Up front was a little more variable, but Onza Porcupines did well for me up until Panaracer Darts hit the scene. Oh, the Golden Era of MTB...
Old 11-24-13, 06:55 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get the biggest tires that will fit your frame/fork and run them a little softer. It's all about the contact patch.
Old 11-24-13, 07:31 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
Michelin says you have to be going 120 mph for a 23 mm to hydroplane.

https://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...oothtread.view
Stop being so sensible and logical. Let all the silliness of the forum run its course.
Old 11-25-13, 11:55 AM
NattyBumpo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuper
You must be one of those drivers who slow down to 55mph in the rain due to the fear of hydroplaning
Can you say nonsequitir ?

No, of course you can't, because you flunked Latin and physics.
Old 11-25-13, 06:17 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
Old 06-29-14, 02:17 PM
NattyBumpo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuper
You must be one of those drivers who slow down to 55mph in the rain due to the fear of hydroplaning
No, I'm a commercial airline pilot who has to recite this stuff verbatim to FAA inspectors. And I regularly drive airplanes around on wet asphalt at 150 mph.
Old 06-29-14, 04:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by NattyBumpo
No, I'm a commercial airline pilot who has to recite this stuff verbatim to FAA inspectors. And I regularly drive airplanes around on wet asphalt at 150 mph.
Did you really just come back to post a second reply to the same comment, only 6 months later?!
Old 06-29-14, 11:15 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Did you really just come back to post a second reply to the same comment, only 6 months later?!
He wanted to restate ad nauseam his Latin knowledge, I guess?
Old 06-30-14, 12:22 AM
superdx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pro4 Endurance lasted me 1.5 years. The tire is still working amazing on my backup bike.

I only switched to Pro4 Service Courses because I wanted a bit more speed and traction. Absolutely nothing wrong with Endurance's traction but when cornering at 30km/h+, the Service Course just provides more confidence. In wet, Service Course improve on traction a bit more as well.