Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I tested out 2 Bikes today

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-01-15, 07:39 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

I went to Summits Bikes. The first bike I tested was the ALR Emonda. 56 inches. It felt good. Smooth, but worked more muscles than the mountain bike I ride on the roads. I'm serious. I feel that it was easier on my body and an easier ride, but as a bonus it worked a lot of muscles. I was sweating just riding that bike around the block but when I ride my mountain bike it takes me a long time to sweat. So I guess that's a good thing because even though the bike is easier on my body and more efficient, I do feel that it works my muscles more. It works the heart too, but it's easy on my body.

The 2nd bike I tried was the One Series 1.2 Madone. This one was 58 inches. It didn't feel quite as smooth. But the other issue was that 58 inches was too long for my body. At a little over 5 ft 10, the guy estimated that 58 inches was gonna be the right size. But I told him that my legs were shorter for my body and that I don't have a long arm reach. Boy that one felt too long and it was a drag. Going up the hill on it was impossible and it really hurt my groin.

So the bottom line is that the right bike size is very important and I underestimated it. I could have just walked out with the 58 inch bike and I would have never rode that thing. I did like the ALR Emonda though. I didn't flip down the stem because I don't know how yet, but the ride was smooth for what it was. Much nicer than my mountain bike (which I ride on roads.) It felt very easy and natural, but a challenge for my muscles in a good way.

Now he does have a 56 inch One Series 1.2 Madone. He's going to have the other bike shop bring it in and he's going to give me a call. But he did say that the ALR Emonda was a better bike. It did feel better, but at the same time I don't know how the One Series would feel if it was a 56 instead of 58. The length really didn't feel right. But I asked him his opinion on Fuji and he said that there's nothing wrong with a Fuji, but based on his and his customers experience, the Trek is a much better experience.

I'm really thinking about getting the ALR. Price isn't a concern. It's about 1,599. But he said it's better than the Madone 2.1. He said it's actually replacing the Madone 2.1
Old 08-01-15, 08:16 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Centimeters not inches :/
Old 08-01-15, 09:39 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
The ALR is getting rave reviews all over the place. I haven't ridden it yet, but I think Trek is going to be investing more into this model, so I think this is a good choice. If you are 5-10, I guess in certain bikes a 58 would fit, but I'd lean more toward a 56. I'm 5-9 and ride a 54 Trek.
Old 08-01-15, 09:45 PM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
58 too big 4 U
Old 08-01-15, 11:38 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
58 too big 4 U
+1.

I'm a hair under 5'11 and ride 54-56 depending on bike
Old 08-02-15, 07:49 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Now he does have a 56 inch One Series 1.2 Madone. He's going to have the other bike shop bring it in and he's going to give me a call. But he did say that the ALR Emonda was a better bike. It did feel better, but at the same time I don't know how the One Series would feel if it was a 56 instead of 58. The length really didn't feel right. But I asked him his opinion on Fuji and he said that there's nothing wrong with a Fuji, but based on his and his customers experience, the Trek is a much better experience.
If you're testing AL Trek's above the Trek 1.x line in the Madone/Emonda/Domane series or ARL, then I would hope that the Trek would be a better experience, because Fuji (to my knowledge) does not have a comparable AL bike. Fuji does have comparable bikes to the Trek 1.x series.

If you like those types of bikes, make sure to try the Cannondale CAAD10 or CAAD12, as they are comparble bikes.

And you should try the One Series 1.2 Madone in 56cm. Try as many bikes in your correct size as possible.

GH
Old 08-02-15, 08:18 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
If you're testing AL Trek's above the Trek 1.x line in the Madone/Emonda/Domane series or ARL, then I would hope that the Trek would be a better experience, because Fuji (to my knowledge) does not have a comparable AL bike. Fuji does have comparable bikes to the Trek 1.x series.

If you like those types of bikes, make sure to try the Cannondale CAAD10 or CAAD12, as they are comparble bikes.

And you should try the One Series 1.2 Madone in 56cm. Try as many bikes in your correct size as possible.

GH
Roubaix is comparable
Old 08-02-15, 08:26 PM
ColaJacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Roubaix is comparable
I was more talking about how the Emonda/Madone/Domane are a little more advanced in their construction, not in the geometry.

GH
Old 08-04-15, 02:17 AM
DreamRider85

The 58 was too long. The 56 felt right. Should I try a 54? I felt that the 56 felt right.
Old 08-04-15, 07:47 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to Summits Bikes. The first bike I tested was the ALR Emonda. 56 inches. It felt good. Smooth, but worked more muscles than the mountain bike I ride on the roads. I'm serious. I feel that it was easier on my body and an easier ride, but as a bonus it worked a lot of muscles. I was sweating just riding that bike around the block but when I ride my mountain bike it takes me a long time to sweat. So I guess that's a good thing because even though the bike is easier on my body and more efficient, I do feel that it works my muscles more. It works the heart too, but it's easy on my body.

The 2nd bike I tried was the One Series 1.2 Madone. This one was 58 inches. It didn't feel quite as smooth. But the other issue was that 58 inches was too long for my body. At a little over 5 ft 10, the guy estimated that 58 inches was gonna be the right size. But I told him that my legs were shorter for my body and that I don't have a long arm reach. Boy that one felt too long and it was a drag. Going up the hill on it was impossible and it really hurt my groin.

So the bottom line is that the right bike size is very important and I underestimated it. I could have just walked out with the 58 inch bike and I would have never rode that thing. I did like the ALR Emonda though. I didn't flip down the stem because I don't know how yet, but the ride was smooth for what it was. Much nicer than my mountain bike (which I ride on roads.) It felt very easy and natural, but a challenge for my muscles in a good way.

I'm really thinking about getting the ALR. Price isn't a concern. It's about 1,599. But he said it's better than the Madone 2.1. He said it's actually replacing the Madone 2.1
Road bikes absolutely engage more of your body's muscles in riding, that's the main appeal to me for the geometry, so don't go thinking that is unique to that particular bicycle, all road bikes enable you to ride and climb more efficiently because with a more upright bike you are mainly using your legs only to climb while with a road bike you are using your whole body.
Old 08-04-15, 07:59 AM
sw686blue

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Try the 54, what do you have to lose?
Old 08-04-15, 08:39 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus 1 on trying out the Cannondale Caad 10/12 - and I'd try the Synapse as well. The Caad8 is kind of in between the Caad10/12 and the Synapse for geometry but only available with 105 or lower components. 105 is fine, but I wouldn't go lower.
Old 08-04-15, 08:47 AM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might be a little biased, but the ALR is a ridiculously nice bike for the money. On my 60cm frame with mtb pedals installed, the bike (ALR 5) weighed right about 20 lb stock when I brought it home. The full 105 5800 gruppo is so smooth and provides great braking. If you really liked the 56 ALR, try another H2 bike from Trek in a 54 and see if you like it. If so, it sounds like that might be a good choice for you. I don't really think there's anything comparable (components-wise) at $1600. The CAAD10 and Allez are great, but you won't get full gruppos. The Madone 2.1's only advantage over the ALR is the internal cable routing, which...whatever. If you're really vain, it might matter. Other than that, the components and frame are much better on the ALR than the Madone 2.1.
Old 08-04-15, 08:47 AM
ColaJacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 58 was too long. The 56 felt right. Should I try a 54? I felt that the 56 felt right.
If you're wondering if you should, then you should. The 56 will probably be the right size, but it won't hurt to ride the 54 for a few miles to make sure. Otherwise, you might have that nagging feeling that you should have tried the 54 before buying.

By the way, we're glad that you're actually getting out there and riding bikes. Test as many as you feel necessary before buying. You may buy the first bike that you tested, but at least you'll feel more secure that you tested all the possibilities, and you got the one that was best for you.

GH

Last edited by ColaJacket; 08-04-15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-04-15, 08:50 AM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
If you're wondering if you should, then you should. The 56 will probably be the right size, but it won't hurt to ride the 54 for a few miles to make sure. Otherwise, you might have that nagging feeling that you should have tried the 54 before buying.

GH
QFT. I'm a little over 6' 3" and my LBS recommends a 62cm bike, but it just doesn't feel right with my reach, so I ride 60. It's a little less weight, and feels better to ride.
Old 08-04-15, 09:46 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a little taller than you and my current bike is a 54 with a 120mm stem and it fits me great. Obviously people have different proportions and different bike frames have different geometry but it doesn't hurt to try...especially if the shop will put different length stems on for you to test
Old 08-05-15, 04:07 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist
Road bikes absolutely engage more of your body's muscles in riding, that's the main appeal to me for the geometry, so don't go thinking that is unique to that particular bicycle, all road bikes enable you to ride and climb more efficiently because with a more upright bike you are mainly using your legs only to climb while with a road bike you are using your whole body.
Well it's weird because even though it feels like an easier ride, it's also a tougher ride. Hard to explain. It's more efficient, but more effective. With the mnt bike on the road, the bike is more of a drag. When you're just sitting upright and letting the bike spin, that's not really better than using a road bike, where you use your whole body, but get from point A to b easier.
Old 08-05-15, 04:09 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by rms13
I'm a little taller than you and my current bike is a 54 with a 120mm stem and it fits me great. Obviously people have different proportions and different bike frames have different geometry but it doesn't hurt to try...especially if the shop will put different length stems on for you to test
Yea, I'll test out a 54. But I'm pretty sure that 56 is the right size, I'm pretty sure but I'll test 54. 56 felt even smaller than my mountain bike I've been riding for 2 years. Now the 58 is out of the question.
Old 08-05-15, 04:10 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by cicatrize
I might be a little biased, but the ALR is a ridiculously nice bike for the money. On my 60cm frame with mtb pedals installed, the bike (ALR 5) weighed right about 20 lb stock when I brought it home. The full 105 5800 gruppo is so smooth and provides great braking. If you really liked the 56 ALR, try another H2 bike from Trek in a 54 and see if you like it. If so, it sounds like that might be a good choice for you. I don't really think there's anything comparable (components-wise) at $1600. The CAAD10 and Allez are great, but you won't get full gruppos. The Madone 2.1's only advantage over the ALR is the internal cable routing, which...whatever. If you're really vain, it might matter. Other than that, the components and frame are much better on the ALR than the Madone 2.1.
I'm most likely going to go with it. I'm gonna do some more testing this week, but I'm leaning towards getting the ALR.
Old 08-05-15, 05:47 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, I'll test out a 54. But I'm pretty sure that 56 is the right size, I'm pretty sure but I'll test 54. 56 felt even smaller than my mountain bike I've been riding for 2 years. Now the 58 is out of the question.
Not all 54's from different makers are the same, not all 56's are the same.
Old 08-05-15, 05:48 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it's weird because even though it feels like an easier ride, it's also a tougher ride. Hard to explain. It's more efficient, but more effective. With the mnt bike on the road, the bike is more of a drag. When you're just sitting upright and letting the bike spin, that's not really better than using a road bike, where you use your whole body, but get from point A to b easier.
I think this just means you are used to using certain muscles to ride and with the road bike you are having to use different ones.

If you give it more time, I think you'll get used to it, and really like it.
Old 08-05-15, 05:48 PM
moppeddler

Bikes: Trek 1.5, Scwinn Sporterra comp, Cannondale Synapse carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek measures bikes a little differently I think. I'm 5'10" and have a 58. I'm a 56 with other brands.
Old 08-05-15, 06:05 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moppeddler
Trek measures bikes a little differently I think. I'm 5'10" and have a 58. I'm a 56 with other brands.

How so? The geo on Madone and Emonda he rode look pretty typical of other brands. the only real difference are stack and head tube which varies depending on how aggressive a particular model is. I don't see anything particularly different about Trek sizing than any other brand