Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Is autumn the season?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 10:38 AM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Is autumn the season?

I know there's no right answer, but do you think that autumn is THE season for gravel (more generally, trail) riding? I suppose it depends where you live, but I can't think of a place it wouldn't be lovely.
Old 09-18-16, 10:40 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,422 Posts
IMO Autumn is THE season for all kinds of riding. Best weather combined with best scenery can't be beat.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-18-16, 01:47 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Definitely. IMHO fall is the most pleasant, although I'd prefer to ride anytime of year over summer here in Kansas. Heat + humidity + very little shade = no fun.
Old 09-18-16, 01:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I like fall for gravel riding around me as it seems spring is when the most road work (ie laying down new gravel or regrading current) is done, so some roads can be really tough to ride.
Summer is fantastic and only the heat is a potential negative.

So fall is when it all comes together. Great weather plus roads that are typically more packed/not sloppy.
Old 09-18-16, 05:41 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fall is pretty nice in No. California too for gravel riding. Temps are nice, breeze is sweet, and starting to get some great fall colors.

Just came back from a quick overniter at Lake Tahoe. Have the fat tire bike stashed up there but didn't get a chance to get out and enjoy spectacular fall weather. Seemed like everyone was out on two wheels today.
Old 09-19-16, 03:48 PM
Heyspike

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Carbon Synapse,2016 Cannondale Beast of the East, 2014 Cannondale CAADX, 1990's Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Guys/Gals quick question, it's bee a long time since I wrenched on bikes, I have a Cannondale CAADX with 700C wheels and tires, If I go road tires, I would use the same 700C wheels and skinnier tires? Would I have to move the brakes in a bit? I'm running Continentals 700x35's now. Thanks.
BTW- Doing my 1st CX race in November sounds like a blast. Just gotta get past my calf cramps after 10 miles or so.
Old 09-19-16, 04:00 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Heyspike
Hey Guys/Gals quick question, it's bee a long time since I wrenched on bikes, I have a Cannondale CAADX with 700C wheels and tires, If I go road tires, I would use the same 700C wheels and skinnier tires? Would I have to move the brakes in a bit? I'm running Continentals 700x35's now. Thanks.
BTW- Doing my 1st CX race in November sounds like a blast. Just gotta get past my calf cramps after 10 miles or so.
the good thing about cross is that they are usually shorter than 10 miles . You can use your normal wheels with skinny tires and tubes
Old 09-19-16, 04:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Heyspike
This really belongs in the mechanics forum, but I might as well answer.

The brakes work on the rims, so if you use the same wheels with thinner tires, then the brakes are totally unaffected in any way.

Likewise if you go to wider tires, except then you'd have to worry about the tire maybe being too tall and touching the top of the arch. (under the pivot bolt)

While we're on the subject, there's plenty of latitude for tire width on any rim, but there are optimal ratios. If you do a quick search for bicycle tire and rim width, you'll find a variety of charts all pretty much in agreement. You can go beyond optimal, but try not to go too far out in either direction.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-27-16, 02:52 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Summer is best for max amount of sunlight but fall is good because I don't sweat like a roast in the oven when I go out for a ride.