Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

planetcyclery.com warning !

Old 08-11-12, 08:35 PM
BTGAS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
planetcyclery.com warning !

FYI...I recently ordered 6 tires and 2 chains from planet cyclery.com. The box showed up with only 2 tires. After about 50 emails most of which do not get responded to they have not provided either a product or my $330 dollars back. I am attempting a chargeback but their bank is now providing problems. It appears they have a decent feedback on amazon and ebay so I am not sure if it is just me but I have been ripped off. buyer beware as I bought directly through their web site. There is no phone number and they are unlisted.
Old 08-11-12, 08:38 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Date Ordered?
Date Shipped?
Date Received?

What details were on the packing invoice?

Might be back ordered?

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 08-11-12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-11-12, 09:05 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
They Lack a physical address and phone number.

We at Planet Cyclery set our expectaions a little high.
Just like our altitude our attitude is to save you time and money when you purchase from us. As the trends and the bike industry grow so are we. Settled in our new location in the Foothills of the Rockies in Colorado, we are always researching and testing our products to provide our customers the level of satisfaction that exceeds their expectations. If you are starting out or an intermediate to an advanced cyclist we have the products you need.
Give us a call or send us an email today. We're here to help...
Have a great ride...
Planet Cyclery Team

Old 08-16-12, 12:28 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
I had them on my list of possible EPS retailers since they have the best prices online, even better than PBK and Wiggle. Looks like I'll have to pass and not take a chance when I'm ready to buy the EPS upgrade kits.
Old 01-10-13, 09:42 PM
CORoadie
Colorado Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope they resolved your issue but if you need it here is some more info. Apparently Planet Cyclery is actually KMKPC Inc.:

[h=1]KMKPC Inc[/h][h=1]PO Box 86[/h][h=1]Lafayette, CO 80026-0086[/h][h=1][/h]
[h=1]President -[/h][h=1]David Kindrachuk, 60[/h]Fort Collins, CO

The phone number I found for them is 970.691.3464

Also their BBB info is as follows:

[h=1]Planet Cyclery[/h](303) 466-8543PO Box 516, Broomfield, CO 80038-0516www.planetcyclery.com

Following is from a newspaper article:

BROOMFIELD - Planet Cyclery, a distributor of bicycle components, is moving to Broomfield from California.
Company owner David Kindrachuk signed a lease for 2,500 square feet of industrial space at 6901 W. 117th Ave., Unit 11. Kindrachuk said he is moving from his current San Diego location to Broomfield to take advantage of Colorado's lower cost of doing business.
"We're excited to move into the area. It's a family-owned business, and we're going to stay put, unless Colorado turns into California in terms of expense," Kindrachuk said.
Kindrachuk declined to say how much he will pay for the lease. Broker Tom Conarro at The Colorado Group said square-foot lease prices at that location are about 25 percent lower than similar square-foot spaces in Boulder. He declined to give a baseline lease price amount.
Mark Dwyer at Lincoln Property Management was the listing broker on the deal. Conarro was the selling broker.

Old 01-11-13, 12:15 PM
CORoadie
Colorado Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did want to say I followed up with Planet Cyclery on an order that they had shipped only half of and they took care of the problem without an issue. They did say they had some issues with their shipping system that they were working on correcting but when I contacted them and let them know I had only received half my order they apologized and said they were getting the other half out immediately. I can forgive a problem as long as their customer service department (Dave) takes care of it in a timely and for me, minimal hassle manner.
Old 01-31-13, 03:55 PM
rjbmke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just FYI...ordered a shimano 105 cassette this weekend from planetcyclery.com. Needed it quick, so paid $6+ extra for Priority Mail shipping over and above standard free shipping. Cassette arrived, delivered by regular First Class mail, not Priority, without any original packaging despite there being a photo of a cassette in a box on the site and no mention of this being an "open box" item. To me, if something isn't in its original packaging, it's not new. This is extremely sketchy to me. Heads up...
Old 02-01-13, 08:37 AM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW - I ordered a pair of Shimano Ultegra pedals from them last week on eBay and they were free shipping, shipped very fast, arrived new in the box, and exactly like described. Not discounting what others have said but my one experience with them was positive.
Old 02-02-13, 08:54 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have order at least a dozen times from planet cyclery and never had a problem with them. They are one of my top vendors.
Old 02-28-13, 05:07 PM
slattekd
Radfahrer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Giant TCR, Trek Remedy, Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently ordered a Campy Record 13-29 cassette from Planet Cyclery which was advertised as coming with a lockring. When it arrived the cassette was new in box with instruction manual etc, but no lock ring. I contacted Planet Cyclery by email and they responded that some cassettes are not supplied by Campy with lock rings anymore, but they said they would send one to me since that is the way they had advertised it. I received the lock ring within a few days. I was satisfied with the response as it could have gone the other way and this indicated that the company does have integrity, although the transaction was not completely trouble free.

Actually the purchase of this cassette was a trial order from this company as I have been considering the purchase of two full Record groups for building out two frames and was less than certain that it was a good idea to trust them for direct purchase of the materials outside of the ebay's protective envelope.
Old 02-28-13, 11:09 PM
LDB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
They Lack a physical address and phone number.

We at Planet Cyclery set our expectaions a little high.
Just like our altitude our attitude is to save you time and money when you purchase from us. As the trends and the bike industry grow so are we. Settled in our new location in the Foothills of the Rockies in Colorado, we are always researching and testing our products to provide our customers the level of satisfaction that exceeds their expectations. If you are starting out or an intermediate to an advanced cyclist we have the products you need.
Give us a call or send us an email today. We're here to help...
Have a great ride...
Planet Cyclery Team
That explains a lot.
Old 04-01-13, 09:44 PM
speedemon

Bikes: Seven Cycles (Ti) Litespeed (Ti) Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, reading this thread really makes me uneasy about slapping $1800 for a groupset. They have a great price on it, but I'm not sure I'm willing to deal with the headaches if it comes along with that great price. Any other feedbacks from anyone else?
Old 04-24-13, 07:12 PM
David Paly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a set of pedals from them at an amazing price which arrived quickly but not in a box and with no cleats. I was very annoyed but contacted them and found out that the item I had bought on eBay described them as separate in the details. They were nice to send me the cleats anyway understanding that the description was in the fine print. I have no complaints with this seller.
Old 08-19-13, 12:04 PM
yukonjack11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have purchased two full sets of Campagnolo Chorus 11s and many other parts from planetcyclery over the past 1.5 years. They always the best price and I am always satisfied. I will continue to buy from and highly recommend planetcyclery.
Old 08-29-13, 02:29 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a pair of A530 pedals off eBarf from planetcyclery. They arrived new, in the box, well packed and fast.

No problems.
Old 12-19-13, 12:43 AM
paramount3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In spite of the "100% satisfaction" banner on their website, Planet Cyclery does not accept reasonable returns. I bought a set of Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL pedals. Mounted them carefully on bike, mounted cleats carefully on shoes. Wife tried to clip in while I held her bike upright in the garage. Clipped in and out three times, decided they didn't work for her, and decided to go back to Look pedals. I took the pedals and cleats off and asked for return authorization, giving a clear and honest description of the situation, as above. Two days later, Planet Cyclery asks for photos. I send photos--reply is "The pedals being mounted and cleats being clipped in and out is considered used and is therefore not eligible for a return."

I would gladly have paid a restocking fee (which is stipulated on the website), but that was not even offered. So you have to decide if this is the company you want to buy from. Sooner or later something you buy will not meet your expectations, and if you are not able to return it, then all the nickels and dimes you saved by buying from the bargain basement vendors are gone.
Old 12-28-13, 06:54 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never again

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ry-as-a-vendor
Old 01-20-14, 09:41 AM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've ordered two sets of pedals from them off their website and an Ultegra 6800 11 speed group with zero problems. All items were shipped quite fast. But there was even a screw up in my favor. The front derailleur in the box was a Dura Ace 9000!
Old 06-23-14, 12:43 PM
roadtar2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you brother! I recently bought what I thought were some Sidi Ergo shoes from Planet Cyclery and took them out for a ride this weekend and the buckle was not functioning correctly. I called the Sidi importer, Ciclista America, who told me that they can not ensure I have even received a true pair of Sidi shoes as Planet Cyclery is not an authorized Sidi retailer as far as they are concerned! I have boxed the shoes up and am sending them to Ciclista America so they can verify if a bought real Sidi shoes or have been the victim of some kind of scam....
Old 07-16-14, 11:46 PM
CAADRIDER217

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 BBQ Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me preface by saying, sorry this is so long but it you are considering purchasing from this company please take the time to read this.

I just got finished dealing with a messy warranty situation because of Planet Cyclery. I bought one of their Ultegra 6800 groupsets because hey, it was 500 bucks cheaper than everywhere else. Received the package a few days later, everything packed nicely, although not in individual Shimano boxes, but the bags that the components would be packaged in from the factory anyways. Had the parts installed at my trusted LBS and 5 days later a shifter broke mid-ride. I contacted Planet Cyclery using their warranty request page on the website and heard back by the next day. They said that it would be faster for me to go through Shimano using their warranty program. I returned to my LBS to have them take a look at the part to make sure it was in fact broken and to see if they could help contact Shimano. They said they would contact their rep to see what they could do.

The next day I called Planet Cyclery, and actually got a hold of them. I got a hold of someone there who transferred me to another employee as, apparently, I wasn't supposed to be able to contact that person. Hmmmm... The next person I spoke to told me to, again, contact Shimano. I asked why they couldn't handle the warranty themselves, and they said they could not process the warranties themselves, much less accept returns. They also admitted to not being able to guarantee their own products. Luckily, my LBS is close with Shimano and was able to get the warranty processed, but had I known I was buying "gray market" products that can't be warrantied, I would've just gone to performance bike to buy parts as they came available.

Do not buy from Planet Cyclery. The price is very tempting, but the amount of time and stress you will go through if and when something eventually breaks and needs replacement is not worth it.
Old 07-31-14, 05:27 PM
angelo212

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadtar2
I'm with you brother! I recently bought what I thought were some Sidi Ergo shoes from Planet Cyclery and took them out for a ride this weekend and the buckle was not functioning correctly. I called the Sidi importer, Ciclista America, who told me that they can not ensure I have even received a true pair of Sidi shoes as Planet Cyclery is not an authorized Sidi retailer as far as they are concerned! I have boxed the shoes up and am sending them to Ciclista America so they can verify if a bought real Sidi shoes or have been the victim of some kind of scam....
I notice this is your only post but thought I try to find out what ever happened with the shoes?
Old 09-18-16, 09:04 AM
dazerb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to Revive the Planet Cyclery Rip-Off warnings

These clowns send me the wrong item and then admit their mistake, but will NOT refund nor give me the promised mailing label to return.
I've called multiple times and jumped through all their A-Hole loops, but they keep dicking me around.

Avoid these A-Holes, you won't know if you get what you order, and you will definitely be treated like dirt!!!

Plus, their gear is crap!! Tires can be Years old, you'll get a 10-yr-old version of a part that is sold as new.... total risk
Old 09-18-16, 11:21 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Just be aware in dealings with Planet Cyclery: as I have been told by numerous people in the business, Planet Cyclery is what's classified as a "gray market" dealer-- most anything you buy from them will not be covered by the mfr. warranty. This is the downside of super-low prices. They're like a Big Lots for bike parts. I routinely see parts on there selling, shipping included, for less than distributor invoice.

And this doesn't mean I haven't bought from them-- I have. Sometimes, I just can't pass up a deal. But I recognize the risk.
Old 11-20-16, 12:56 PM
qwksti

Bikes: litespeed C1R, GT GRADE carbon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive had bad and good issues with many on line bike places. ive also had good and bad issues with brick mortar stores. you just never know these days. ive been buying less on line just due to the fact of returning stuff is easy when the store is near your house. but you will always pay more at a store. hard trade off.

Last edited by qwksti; 11-20-16 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 06:58 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qwksti
ive had bad and good issues with many on line bike places. ive also had good and bad issues with brick moter stores. you just never know these days. ive been buying less on line just due to the fact of returning stuff is easy when the store is near your house. but you will always pay more at a store. hard trade off.
brick moter lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.