Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire pressure gauges: Should you take one on your rides?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 02:07 PM
Nicholas L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This seems like a completely obvious and dumb question, but it's not something I really hear much about in the world of cycling. In the event of a flat, I'd say that you would need some kind of gauge, unless you can do it by feel. So do you take a small pressure gauge with you on your rides? If so, what gauge do you use? I've looked at several on Amazon, but they all seem to have the same issue of either inaccuracy, major air loss when using the gauge, or both. What gauge have you found to be most reliable?
Old 02-17-18, 02:09 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
No need for a gauge. Most just shoot in the contents of a 16oz CO2 cartridge or pump until they're tired. Tire pressure doesn't have to be exact.
Old 02-17-18, 02:16 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
On all of my bikes, I develop a sense for how much the tires should pooch out under my weight when it's inflated to my satisfaction. This gets me good enough for dealing with a flat tire while out on a ride.

This also helps me with noticing if a tire is going low.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 02-17-18 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 02:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I gather you're talking about one day trips. So consider the implications of not having a pressure gauge. \

If you've pumped, gauged and checked your tires by hand a number of times, you probably have a good sense of what right pressure feels like. I'll venture that you also know what low pressure feels like, and probably use a hand check to tell you whether it's time to pump them.

While hand pressure checks aren't precise, they're good enough to get you to the ballpark. So, the worst that can happen on the road is that you finish your ride with a slightly under inflated tire. Depending on how much you trust yourself, and how OCD you are about precise pressure, it's up to you to decide whether carrying a gauge is warranted.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-17-18, 02:24 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I lean my weight on the bike and check the tire squish. I only use CO2's in emergencies or foul weather.

Last edited by Darth_Firebolt; 02-17-18 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 02:36 PM
Nicholas L

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I gather you're talking about one day trips. So consider the implications of not having a pressure gauge. \

If you've pumped, gauged and checked your tires by hand a number of times, you probably have a good sense of what right pressure feels like. I'll venture that you also know what low pressure feels like, and probably use a hand check to tell you whether it's time to pump them.

While hand pressure checks aren't precise, they're good enough to get you to the ballpark. So, the worst that can happen on the road is that you finish your ride with a slightly under inflated tire. Depending on how much you trust yourself, and how OCD you are about precise pressure, it's up to you to decide whether carrying a gauge is warranted.
Makes perfect sense. As a new road rider, I think I may be overthinking this. I guess I view road tires as being very fagile, and I don't want to risk getting something wrong when pumping them up. On my mountain bike, I have always just inflated the tires by feel. Shouldn't be any different on a road bike.
Old 02-17-18, 02:38 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I don't carry a gauge, I do the thumb and lean on test. If it seems good, its good. I do then check and proper inflate when I get home though.

close is good enough. You will know very quickly if its not enough pressure.
Old 02-17-18, 02:49 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Depends on how you inflate your tires. If using CO2 just approximate per the chart below to figure out what size cartridges to bring. If you bring a pump, just get one with an integrated gauge if you don't want to go by hand feel (eg. Lezyne makes a few models).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CO2 Inflation Chart.JPG (81.6 KB, 213 views)
Old 02-17-18, 03:12 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Same here, just empty 16 oz. CO2 into tire and ride on. KB
Old 02-17-18, 03:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Short answer is "No."

I used to worry about air pressure a lot more than I do today. In the 80's I thought that my road bike tires had to be 120 psi and I topped them up before every ride. Through the years I gradually cut back on air pressure, eventually inflating my road tires to 90 psi front and 100 psi rear. I still topped them up before every ride. I don't keep records of stuff like that but during that whole period I generally rode with the same group of folks and didn't notice any subjective speed or performance difference. I did definitely notice a road comfort difference after I switched to lower tire air pressures.

I'm riding fatter tire recumbents today and I've gotten lazy. I pump my tires up to 75 psi (or so) and give them a squeeze test with my hand before every ride. When they leak down to about 50 psi (or so** I top them back up. That usually takes around 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 02-17-18, 03:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Incidentally, I was interested by Sy Reene's CO2 inflation chart. For years I carried only a CO2 inflator with me - no back up pump. After I started riding recumbents I punctured my 20 X 2.0 front tire on our Screamer tandem. I was shocked to discover how soft the tire felt after inflating it with 16 grams of CO2. I'm guessing that the 48 psi on the chart is accurate. That's when I started carrying a pump again. I'm too cheap to use more than 1 CO2 cartridge per puncture.
Old 02-17-18, 03:27 PM
DimplePimple

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Crank Brothers Mini pump has a built in pressure gauge. Realistically, I just pump it up until my arm is sore & then fix it at home.
Old 02-17-18, 05:42 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
It depends on how you ride.

Here's what I bought for my commuter: https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-fra...p/-/A-14787924
It's an inexpensive Schwinn frame pump with a toe-hold and a gauge. I bought it in-store at Target for $14and it looks like they have it online for $8.

It has lasted me 2-years.

I need a gauge for 2 reasons.

1) My AirZound Airhorn. You can't estimate the PSI by squeezing the cannister, especially the newer metal ones (vs plastic)

2) Studded snow tires. I run them 55-65psi on dry pavement, ~36psi on ice and ~25psi on loose snow. It really makes a difference.

I had originally carried a separate gauge, but that was too much trouble to attach the pump and inflate, remove the pump, use the gauge, attach the pump again, etc. It is so much nicer to just pop on a pump with a built in gauge.

If weight-savings and minimal gear are your thing then CO2 cartridges are for you. If you don't mind adding weight for convenience and versatility, then a frame-pump is for you...and one with a built in gauge of adequate accuracy is much faster and more convenient than a separate gauge.
Old 02-17-18, 05:53 PM
NTX_Cycler

Bikes: Giant MB (need to determine model)

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclingdeal 20X Bike Bicycle Air Pump Inflator 16G Co2 Threaded Cartridges

I bought this package a few weeks back. At $1 a pop, I'll carry 2 or 3 with me. If I were buying CO2 through my LBS or just about anywhere else I can find CO2, I would certainly be more cautious with their use.
Old 02-17-18, 07:20 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Less pressure equal to better comfort and speed. Do the experiments. Most road paved is not perfectly smooth flat, there no exact pressure.

If you are not racing, don't bother . . . . gauge it by your hands.
Old 02-17-18, 09:34 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I think a tire pressure gauge on a bike would be just extra weight. Not much, but unnecessary. Just air up your tires until they're nice & hard and not squishy any more. And every time you check the air in your tires, you're letting a little air pressure out. On a car-sized tire that's not much air to worry about, but with a bike tire it's a much larger percentage of the air.
Old 02-17-18, 09:57 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
My frame pump has one. Easy problem solved.
Old 02-17-18, 10:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I've never had a tire gauge except on floor pumps. I just squeeze the tires after inflating to the pressure I want at home. Remembering what that squeeze felt like for the rest of the ride isn't hard. And if I get it wrong it will be obvious very soon. So I just stop and let a little air out or take my frame pump and add a few pounds. (Now it does appear to be popular to sell bikes that are hard to put frame pumps on. I get as an engineer that the time and effort it takes to design that ability into the bike costs money and precious brain time. Still, I see it as just lazy,sloppy, and/or poor engineering not to incorporate the requires 3 grams for a pump peg onto a multi-thousand dollar bike. At least until the day when those manufacturers can offer bikes with tires that are not subject to air pressure loss.)

To the OP - get in the habit of squeezing properly inflated tires. Your fingers will learn what good riding pressures feel like. You will even start appreciating that different tire widths, ride types and tire types want different feels.

Ben
Old 02-17-18, 11:14 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
The only pressure gauge I carry is for my fat bike where 1 psi makes a difference between riding on dry pavement and packed snow with ruts and footprints.

For road bikes as long as you feel the tire is hard it'll get you back home where you can adjust the pressure with your floor gauge. You won't likely blow your tire with a hand pump. The heat of the tire chamber may make you take some caution when the tire gets hard.
Old 02-18-18, 02:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I usually bring 2 thumbs with me.

They're durable, easy to keep track of, last "forever" and rarely break.
Old 02-18-18, 09:31 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Current Road Morph 'G' pump that I carry on all bikes/all rides has a built-in gauge. Don't know how accurate it is, but close enough.
Old 02-19-18, 04:13 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My Road Morph pumps have a gauge so yes, I carry one on my bike. However, I chose those pumps because they're good pumps, not because they have a gauge, the gauge is just a bonus.

One thing, if you're going to carry a gauge, you need to have a pump that can put that amount of pressure in your tyre - the Road Morph can because it converts to a small floor pump but I doubt anything you just hold in your can can.

I wouldn't worry about not having a gauge.
Old 02-19-18, 05:59 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I use one of these. It's really small, light, no leaks, holds pressure until released, and cheaply priced. I use a Topeak Mini Road Morph pump that doesn't have a gauge. My tires top out at 85psi and I only use between 60-70psi. Finger test doesn't work great for me on my road bike...it was fine on the MTB though.

Old 02-19-18, 11:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I do carry one. I believe it's this one in my bike bag
Milton S-927 Dual Head Truck Tire Gauge
covers the range of 20 to 120 pounds
$9 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-927-...CSSPEX0BNQX34B
Old 02-19-18, 11:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Since I started carrying CO2 on my road bike, several years ago, I've had to use it maybe three times for flats. One of those was helping a random family at the park. So carrying a gauge would be low priority, when it's that rare that I'd even use it.

When I'm carrying a pump on another bike, I'll pump it up until I'm tired and it's full enough not to be squishy, less pressure than I'd likely use with a real pump. So either way, no reason to carry a pressure gauge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.