Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How often do you weigh yourself?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How often do you weigh yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 08:58 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I did it every day until I noticed a pattern of fluctuation that did not seem to be connected to my eating and exercise habits. Now I do it every Sunday morning.
Given the daily fluctuation, how do you know whether any given weekly weigh in is on the high or the low side of your normal fluctuation? If you had consistent daily weigh ins, you'd eventually be able to spot factors (sodium intake, sleep, carbs, stress, etc) impacting your weight, and have a better feel for what your base range is.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-02-18, 09:01 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Weighing yourself too often is one of the worst mistakes most people make.
Wearing white after Labor Day is one of the worst mistakes people make!

There is no such thing as too much data or too much consistency. The only potential flaw is not using the data to make good decisions, or misinterpreting the data (i.e. - I" I lost 2 lbs yesterday, I can quit exercisnig now!").

Old 04-02-18, 09:02 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by caloso
This makes as much sense as telling drivers only to look at the speedometer once every 20 miles. You know, because speed fluctuates so much, it will mess with your mind.
I'm the same way with my power and HR. I only look at random intervals, because I wouldn't want the data to mess with my mind.

Old 04-02-18, 09:44 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Everyone knows what a good diet and exercise program looks like, and they know if they're failing without weighing themselves everyday. Even "Biggest Losers" only weighed in once a week... and then sent a loser home.

A healthy persons weight really shouldn't be fluctuating all that much. If it is, somethings not right.
Old 04-02-18, 09:50 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Everyone knows what a good diet and exercise program looks like, and they know if they're failing without weighing themselves everyday.
If it was that easy there would be a lot more healthy thin people.

Everyone knows whether their car is going fast, too, but we still check the speedometer on a regular basis.

Old 04-02-18, 10:53 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by bbbean
If it was that easy there would be a lot more healthy thin people.

Everyone knows whether their car is going fast, too, but we still check the speedometer on a regular basis.
Of course it's not easy to achieve and maintain healthy weight!

I really enjoyed this thread, and reading how difficult it can be for some:

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...-so-big-3.html

Interestingly, pretty much all said their weight gain was from too much food/booze, and too little exercise. Some blamed their lifestyle choices on jobs/family/relationships, but just as many or more, said it was all on them. Not one blamed it on not weighing themselves often enough, which was the point I was making.

The difficult part is making the right choices.
Old 04-02-18, 11:01 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I used to weigh myself every day. Same time every day. Doing that made me realize what foods had a bigger impact on my weight (rice for dinner) and what food had no impact (almost everything else)

Now I weigh myself occasionally. I have learnt to use better measures for my fitness. Like how fast or how much further I can ride my bike And also how well my clothes fit me.
Old 04-02-18, 12:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
A healthy persons weight really shouldn't be fluctuating all that much. If it is, somethings not right.
Old 04-02-18, 12:57 PM
bbbean 

Thank you so much for clearing that up.

Old 04-02-18, 02:48 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Some blamed their lifestyle choices on jobs/family/relationships, but just as many or more, said it was all on them. Not one blamed it on not weighing themselves often enough, which was the point I was making. The difficult part is making the right choices.
It is easier to make the right choices when one is paying attention to diet and weight, and the daily weigh-in helps focus my attention. I knew I had gained some weight in my 50s but I was shocked when I finally pulled the scale out of storage and saw the number. I've been at my target weight, +/- 2 lbs, for a couple of years, but I still like the positive reinforcement when I check the number each morning.
Old 04-02-18, 04:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts

I disagree with the above....I think it's very easy to loose and maintain healthy weight...Most people who are having trouble with weight loss fall into one of those categories listed below:

- bad lifestyle choices
- laziness and lack of self-discipline
- following "fad diets" and following wrong type of workout routines which do nothing for fat loss
- those who have medical issues or are genetically predisposed to extreme weight gain
- those who are trapped into a lifestyle which prevents them from exercising and eating right
Old 04-02-18, 05:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I disagree with the above....I think it's very easy to loose and maintain healthy weight...
Horse****. The human body gets acclimated to a level of activity very quickly. So someone can be eating XX number of calories of all the right things, exercising regularly, and over time, will still begin to gain weight. I know this because even with dietary restrictions (divirticulits,) monitoring my daily calorie intake (limited to 2,800 a day) and riding 180-200 miles a week, I was gaining weight. I'm down to 2,200kcal a day, ride 160 miles and hike 25 miles a week, and lose roughly 1.5lbs per week.

None of it is easy. Averaging 16 hours of cardio a week, always under my calorie goals, still 15lbs over my optimum weight. If you think it's easy, you're either young, skinny, or have a hard time gaining weight. I can gain weight by sitting still and breathing heavily. A typical week for me looks like this:

15,330kcal weekly (2,190kcal per day)
14,689kcal recorded (2,099kcal per day)
10,196kcal burned (1,457kcal per day)
Net kcal per day: 642kcal

But I can't do this forever. I just want to sit down and eat a whole meatloaf and chase it with a cheesecake.
Old 04-02-18, 05:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The human body gets acclimated to a level of activity very quickly.

I agree...and cardio is one of those activities that is easiest for your body to get acclimated to.

None of it is easy. Averaging 16 hours of cardio a week, always under my calorie goals, still 15lbs over my optimum weight.

That's your problems right there. Too much cardio and not enough of anything else. Your body has become very efficient at cardio and it burns less and less calories...The more efficient you become at certain exercise the less fat and calories you burn...If you want to loose fat you should try doing some resistance training, weight training and some higher intensity stuff, do something that your body is less efficient at doing.
Old 04-02-18, 06:58 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's just that easy, folks! Give up everything you love: eating, riding a bike, taking hikes, and replace it all with kale and resistance exercises!

If that's the "easy" way, I want nothing to do with it. Because the body gets used to stuff like weight lifting, too. Then when you stop lifting weights, you turn into a meatball.
Old 04-02-18, 07:25 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someone here fall in "more is better" traps hehehehe...

I been trapped in loophole of "more is better" mindset for 2 years before I finally to cracked a code how to stay "healthy" and "maintenance" for whole life.

Balance and sustain is a key. You *can* do it forever. Not *must do* it forever.
Old 04-02-18, 07:35 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Most people who are having trouble with weight loss fall into one of those categories listed below:

- bad lifestyle choices
- laziness and lack of self-discipline
- following "fad diets" and following wrong type of workout routines which do nothing for fat loss
- those who have medical issues or are genetically predisposed to extreme weight gain
- those who are trapped into a lifestyle which prevents them from exercising and eating right
Agreed. And the latest "fad" diet is low carb. A poster above claimed they can see it on the scale the next morning when they had rice the night before for dinner! Really? How many pounds of rice are they eating, and what is mixed in with it?

There are entire civilizations with extremely low levels of obesity that ate/eat tons of rice as a main staple. Go figure.
Old 04-03-18, 01:36 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Actually, how you look is determined primarily (80%~) by your diet. If you want to change how you look, focus the majority of your attention there. No exercise necessary.

That said, for overall good fitness and health, you need to exercise. Cardio for good cardiovascular fitness, and weight training for your muscles. These encompass the remaining 20%.
Agreed. And the latest "fad" diet is low carb. A poster above claimed they can see it on the scale the next morning when they had rice the night before for dinner! Really? How many pounds of rice are they eating, and what is mixed in with it?

There are entire civilizations with extremely low levels of obesity that ate/eat tons of rice as a main staple. Go figure
That's because those civilizations burned those calories as fuel and maintained a lower overall caloric intake. Americans, on the other hand, consume twice their caloric intake they need daily. It begins with total caloric intake, and second, how these calories are used.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-03-18 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 09:32 AM
Seattle Forrest

It's just that easy, folks! Give up everything you love: eating, riding a bike, taking hikes, and replace it all with kale and resistance exercises!
Why on earth would you give up hiking and riding a bike to lose weight?

You have a power meter. You know exactly how many calories you're burning on the bike, within 5 % of the gods' honest truth anyway.

Your power meter doesn't get wronger and wronger the more you get better at cycling.
Old 04-03-18, 09:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Agreed. And the latest "fad" diet is low carb.
Vegans eat a high carb diet, and everybody's idea of the typical vegan is an emaciated waif. That alone makes it pretty obvious carbs don't cause fatness. (Energy imbalance does.)
Old 04-03-18, 09:59 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Vegans eat a high carb diet, and everybody's idea of the typical vegan is an emaciated waif. That alone makes it pretty obvious carbs don't cause fatness. (Energy imbalance does.)
Guns don't kill people, people do. So true. On the other hand, I never me anyone overweight that didn't get that way by not gorging themselves on excess carbs.
Old 04-03-18, 10:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

I never met anyone who was overweight who didn't get that way by eating more calories than they burned.

Some of those calories came from carbs. Some came from fat. Some came from protein. It's not like people are sitting around mainlining granulated sugar.
Old 04-03-18, 10:31 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I never met anyone who was overweight who didn't get that way by eating more calories than they burned.
A fundamental truth that cannot be denied.

Some of those calories came from carbs. Some came from fat. Some came from protein. It's not like people are sitting around mainlining granulated sugar.
On that point I must disagree. In fact, that's exactly what they do. Typically almost all of those excess calories come from carbs. Fats are satiating, and proteins need to be chewed. Carbs, on the other hand, are the only macro nutrient that can literally be consume indefinitely.
Old 04-03-18, 02:56 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts

I really enjoyed this thread, and reading how difficult it can be for some:

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...-so-big-3.html

Interestingly, pretty much all said their weight gain was from too much food/booze, and too little exercise. Some blamed their lifestyle choices on jobs/family/relationships, but just as many or more, said it was all on them. Not one blamed it on not weighing themselves often enough, which was the point I was making.

How do you know if you're making the correct choices unless you weigh yourself?
Old 04-03-18, 02:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
I weigh myself just about every morning. Myfitnesspal (I know, I know) reminds me to weigh myself every Monday morning. I just started using it a few weeks ago. I was 165 lbs, and it asked me if I wanted to lose or gain weight. I couldn't decide but then I decided to say my goal is to weigh 175 lbs. I'm up to 171, and I'm not sure if that's good, bad, or indifferent.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-18, 03:02 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts

There are entire civilizations with extremely low levels of obesity that ate/eat tons of rice as a main staple. Go figure.
The rice is causing him to retain some water which (temporarily) causes him to gain weight. It's not permanent and I don't think he implied it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.