Ohio Erie Trail

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 01:06 PM
Jeremiesmith77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I also live in Columbus and will be doing the entire Ohio to Erie trail (Cleveland to Cinci), starting on June 1. I will give an update on conditions after I finish it for others hoping to do it later this summer.
Old 07-10-19, 06:55 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeremiesmith77
I also live in Columbus and will be doing the entire Ohio to Erie trail (Cleveland to Cinci), starting on June 1. I will give an update on conditions after I finish it for others hoping to do it later this summer.
Did you do your ride? I'm grateful to have easy access to the Ohio to Erie trail nearby my house (the Heart of Ohio Trail section). I've done from Columbus to Fredericksburg. Toying with doing the south half from Cinci maybe later this summer, and maybe the whole trail next year. Not really sure though depends on days off. Its just too hard to dedicate multiple days to a bike ride for me.. most of my vacation time is spent out of state. Something more than 2 days I need to plan a year out lol.

It seems every year or two they are paving new sections, its really progressing. When I moved into the area in 2008 none of the Heart of Ohio Trail was paved, but now its almost complete just 1 mile gap remains and I believe they have plans to complete it soon as well as the continuation of the trail in Delaware County, they just went through and cleared the brush east of Sunbury on the old railbed.
Old 07-10-19, 08:16 AM
Jeremiesmith77

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
Did you do your ride? I'm grateful to have easy access to the Ohio to Erie trail nearby my house (the Heart of Ohio Trail section). I've done from Columbus to Fredericksburg. Toying with doing the south half from Cinci maybe later this summer, and maybe the whole trail next year. Not really sure though depends on days off. Its just too hard to dedicate multiple days to a bike ride for me.. most of my vacation time is spent out of state. Something more than 2 days I need to plan a year out lol.

It seems every year or two they are paving new sections, its really progressing. When I moved into the area in 2008 none of the Heart of Ohio Trail was paved, but now its almost complete just 1 mile gap remains and I believe they have plans to complete it soon as well as the continuation of the trail in Delaware County, they just went through and cleared the brush east of Sunbury on the old railbed.

Yes, I did. I meant to provide an update but forgot. My mate and I departed Edgewater Park in Cleveland on the morning of June 1 and finished in downtown Cincinatti around lunchtime on June 5. It was a wonderful ride, especially the Cleveland to Columbus sections. There are a few odd detours in the Akron area as there is still some work being done but I think we did a grand total of about 45 miles on roads, mostly in Amish country where there were no cars around anyway (the best part of the whole trip in my opinion). Nearly all of the trail ride was on well maintained dedicated bike trails. We went pretty slow, stopping at 1-2 breweries each day (look for the free "Ohio on Tap" smart phone app!) and generally taking our time seeing the sights. I plan on doing the whole thing again over 3 days in November with a lighter setup and more speed, planning to average about 115 miles per day.

My house is right off the trail where Galloway Road intersects the Camp Chase Trail SW of Columbus so we stayed there on night 3. We camped in Massilon, Danville, and Morrow for the other three nights. The only hiccup we had was a wrong turn at the start of our day 2 in Massilon where we continued to follow the Erie Canal towpath instead of veering off towards Apple Creek. It was about an hour before we realized our mistake so that day ended up being about 85 miles. Here are my Strava entries for each day:

Ohio-to-Erie trail day one (Cleveland to Massillon) - https://www.strava.com/activities/2415754758
Ohio-to-Erie trail day two (Massillon to Danville) - https://www.strava.com/activities/2419077980
Ohio-to-Erie trail day three (Danville to Galloway) - https://www.strava.com/activities/2421371963
Ohio-to-Erie trail day four (Galloway to Morrow) - https://www.strava.com/activities/2424148786
Ohio-to-Erie trail day five (Morrow to Cincinnati) - https://www.strava.com/activities/2426010637

Here are a few pictures from the trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pecGXiLAzsmoFR5H6

Let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to share details or provide some advice. The ride from Columbus to Cinci is VERY flat and honestly, kind of boring. It is probably the easiest 120 miles you will ever do. If you are going to do just 1 day on the trail, I recommend the section between Akron and Columbus as the best part of the OTET.

Last edited by Jeremiesmith77; 07-10-19 at 08:26 AM.
Likes For Jeremiesmith77:
Old 07-12-19, 11:16 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the update, and sharing pics @Jeremiesmith77 Kudus for whichever one of you using the old school bike too, that's my style lol.

I've heard the southern half is very flat and boring. One reason I'd like to do that first, and work up to the more exciting stuff.

I don't know if I'll do the southern half this year or not... my vacation plans have changed a bit with my Mom recently retiring, se we have made a lot of plans out of state. But maybe next year, or perhaps the whole thing.

My biggest concerns are about the road portions... as I mainly cycle the trails I am not fond of roads especially in the cities. I don't mind backroads, I've gotten quite used to the many gaps around my stretch of the trail but I'm a bit nervous about Cleveland. How bad is it from the end of the trail through the downtown parts to the lake? I assume I'll want to actually go to the proper end on the lake... also really want to visit Great Lakes Brewing and likely nearby lodging. Seems like the biggest gap is from Dalton to Fredericksburg, how are those roads?
Old 07-14-19, 07:52 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Great update Jeremie. Thanks for the Strava data too. Very helpful. I haven't hit any of the towpath this season yet. Good to know Akron is still detoured. I very much don't like that southbound hill at the Hickory ST detour.

I've been very curious of the Edgewater park to Harvard road area. I know they've been working on sections up there. Is there good and clear signage directing you? Were the roads there that busy? Decent curb space. Like Stew, I'm not fond of roads. But if it's not bad, I can tolerate it for a time. I've been wanting to try that stretch next, then a portion from downtown Akron on south for some odd miles. I'm far off from doing over night sessions. More like 25 mile jaunts for now.
Old 07-15-19, 07:24 AM
JodyBikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ohio to Erie Trail

The Akron detour is no longer in effect and flooding has cleared in Canal Fulton.

To ask about current conditions before your trip, join the peer to peer Facebook group called "Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail / Ohio To Erie Trail Enthusiasts".

A bit of advice, make sure you have several options for navigation besides using signage.
People trying to use only signage have many moments of indecision, that's when it's good to consult the paper guide, the digital interactive map or even Google bicycling directions. In the metropolitan areas with multiple trail intersections, people get confused thinking every "bike route" sign is for the Ohio to Erie Trail, be prepared.

Likes For JodyBikes:
Old 07-18-19, 08:58 PM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JodyBikes
The Akron detour is no longer in effect and flooding has cleared in Canal Fulton.

To ask about current conditions before your trip, join the peer to peer Facebook group called "Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail / Ohio To Erie Trail Enthusiasts".

A bit of advice, make sure you have several options for navigation besides using signage.
People trying to use only signage have many moments of indecision, that's when it's good to consult the paper guide, the digital interactive map or even Google bicycling directions. In the metropolitan areas with multiple trail intersections, people get confused thinking every "bike route" sign is for the Ohio to Erie Trail, be prepared.
The Akron detour is most definitely in effect. I trekked up the Hickory Street hill today. I think what JodyBikes is referring to is the detour of the detour. For a short while part of the Hickory Street detour was blocked and so you had an additional detour. Bikes and pedestrians can now get through on Hickory street but not cars.

I wouldn't be surprised if the street becomes blocked again as construction is ongoing in the area.

There is a big rough rock path leading you off of (or on to) the towpath to/from Hickory Street. The hill is a pretty tough climb if you have been riding for awhile and are heading south into Akron.

By the way, I'm hoping to ride the entire OTET next summer.

Last edited by JDandy; 07-20-19 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-19, 08:06 AM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I rode the towpath section of OTET from Akron to Canal Fulton on Sunday 8/25. In addition to the Hickory Street detour in north Akron, I found the towpath to be really rough south of downtown Akron. It's not just crushed limestone but actual gravel and a less than smooth path in some areas due to ongoing construction activity.

Also, I noticed a sign saying that the towpath is closed M-F 7AM-4PM with no detour signage, So be advised that it is best to have wide tires when riding the towpath approaching the Akron area. Unexpected closures may occur where you will need to self-navigate and find your own detour.
Old 12-11-20, 03:11 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Great news for Akron Towpath riders. The Hickory Street Detour that we've had to endure for the last 5 years is no more. The towpath is now open again there. No more monster hill.
Likes For Karmajack:
Old 12-12-20, 11:56 AM
JDandy

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Karmajack
Great news for Akron Towpath riders. The Hickory Street Detour that we've had to endure for the last 5 years is no more. The towpath is now open again there. No more monster hill.
That is great news for those passing through Akron on the towpath. I have to say though that since I am local, I've gotten used to the Hickory Street detour and kind of look forward to the challenge of the climb when riding through the area. However, I can't imagine too many folks riding with loaded panniers making it up that hill without hoping off the bike and pushing for a short bit to get to the top. It's great that the tourers/ bikepackers passing through while riding the OTET won't have to deal with that climb but I imagine some of us locals will keep that detour in our route plans for the challenge.
Old 12-17-20, 07:43 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
And good riddance to it! I am usually about to tip over by the top of it, if I don't walk.
Old 12-17-20, 08:13 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I will miss that hill. best ride on that one was on our tandem I had a 8 year old stoker and a 5 year old probably asleep on a tag along. so we start getting close and get past by a group of road bikes on way to hill. we hit the base of hill full gas hooting and making noise, road bike group is already gassing out on hill and walking we "blast" pass them kids were smiling and waving. those guys caught back up were telling kids how good a job they did made their day I was ready to puke from the climb, LOL
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 12-19-20, 11:45 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by sloppy12
I will miss that hill. best ride on that one was on our tandem I had a 8 year old stoker and a 5 year old probably asleep on a tag along. so we start getting close and get past by a group of road bikes on way to hill. we hit the base of hill full gas hooting and making noise, road bike group is already gassing out on hill and walking we "blast" pass them kids were smiling and waving. those guys caught back up were telling kids how good a job they did made their day I was ready to puke from the climb, LOL
HA! That's a hilarious mental image.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 01-03-21, 03:16 PM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I did a section of this last fall. I live close enough to the Westerville trail system so I can leave my house and get on the trail by Lazelle/County Line then up the Genoa trail and then went to Centerburg. A couple links depending on which system you have accounts on:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5601100638
https://www.strava.com/activities/4121852060

I need to work back up to 50 miles soon and then maybe make the my next milestone be Mt. Vernon.
Anyone else planning for this year?
Likes For enine:
Old 01-22-21, 09:50 AM
Dfreeman617 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am making plans for the end of September. This will be my first unsupported tour and I plan to have this be a shakedown for a tour around Lake Michigan in 2022.
Old 01-22-21, 02:07 PM
enine

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Are you making plans for the whole trail? And just one run?

What I've been doing is riding out and back and increasing the distance a little bit each time.
Old 01-24-21, 06:35 PM
Dfreeman617 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by enine
Are you making plans for the whole trail? And just one run?

What I've been doing is riding out and back and increasing the distance a little bit each time.
Yes, the whole trail over 5 days. I’m leaning toward going from Cincinnati to Cleveland.
Old 01-24-21, 06:43 PM
enine

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What about training to work up to that distance?
Old 01-25-21, 07:16 PM
Dfreeman617 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am zwifting all winter to maintain fitness and will do regular training rides during the summer. In addition, i have three supported tours that are between 200 and 300 miles, so the fitness angle is handled. I just need to figure out what i need to take with me, and more importantly what I can leave behind.
Old 02-06-21, 06:37 PM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by Dfreeman617
Yes, the whole trail over 5 days. I’m leaning toward going from Cincinnati to Cleveland.
You'll have a better chance at a tailwind going that way.
Old 02-06-21, 08:33 PM
Dfreeman617 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to hear. My biggest challenge is logistical. Coming from Lansing, I am looking for options to getting back to the starting point. Amtrak is not an option, and I don’t want to take the bus. So I am considering renting a car or arranging for a ride through Vega’s Velo Transport. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 02-09-21, 06:28 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by Dfreeman617
Good to hear. My biggest challenge is logistical. Coming from Lansing, I am looking for options to getting back to the starting point. Amtrak is not an option, and I don’t want to take the bus. So I am considering renting a car or arranging for a ride through Vega’s Velo Transport. Anyone have suggestions?
If I was riding solo, I'd just rent a car in Cleveland and drive back to Cincinnati. But with three riders in my group in August, we are opting for VVT, since 3 bikes + gear + people won't fit (easily) in a minivan, and big vans are pricey.
Old 02-09-21, 07:46 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Cleveland has Uhauls. reserve one ride right to the uhaul joint and pick up a van.
Old 02-09-21, 07:50 AM
Dfreeman617 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
If I was riding solo, I'd just rent a car in Cleveland and drive back to Cincinnati. But with three riders in my group in August, we are opting for VVT, since 3 bikes + gear + people won't fit (easily) in a minivan, and big vans are pricey.
Renting a car seems the easiest, most flexible. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your ride.
Likes For Dfreeman617:
Old 02-10-21, 03:03 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by sloppy12
Cleveland has Uhauls. reserve one ride right to the uhaul joint and pick up a van.
When I run my date/vehicle criteria through the U-Haul website, it says "not available for your move". Hence, us going with VVT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.