Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official 2020 Quarantine Challenge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official 2020 Quarantine Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 11:07 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 148 Posts
Finished?

I think I've gotten it all sorted and managed a test ride with only a single, self-inflicted issue.

Here it is on a 5-ish miler this morning:

Getting the rear shifting to behave came down to inserting a small piece of shift cable liner in the cable guide at the bottom bracket. This significantly reduced the friction of the whole system.

Gearing is still taking getting used to, as its a bit steeper than I typically ride and with massive jumps. I'm both getting older and spoiled by my more modern drivetrains, I think.

There's plenty of clearance with these tires (27 x 1-1/4" Paselas), and I suspect I could go up to 38mm if I switched the rims to 700c. The main issue is getting the rear wheel into the dropouts - the conflict is with the chainstay bridge. You'd need to have the tire under-inflated.

Bike handled fine on the groomed gravel trail I was on this morning:

which leads to a nice overlook of the Colorado Front Range:

I took a paved descent back home and found the bike to handle much more comfortably in the drops. I almost always ride on the flats or hoods, so that will take some getting used to as well.

One more pic of the bike itself:

And the issue? I forgot to correctly route the drive-side toe strap through the top loop on clip, and so it got loose on the descent.

Also, I must confess to one sin - I bought some brown Cane Creek hoods to replace the black Dia-Compe hoods I had on hand, as I thought the black levers, hoods and tape was too much.
Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 04-07-20, 07:56 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
That is a fine bike, and a perfect build. I have an orange semi-pro in the pipeline. This inspires me to get working on it. It's nice you were able to get the black rings and Cyclones. Cool bike!
Old 04-08-20, 06:38 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 192 Posts
I think I've gotten it all sorted and managed a test ride with only a single, self-inflicted issue.

Here it is on a 5-ish miler this morning:

Getting the rear shifting to behave came down to inserting a small piece of shift cable liner in the cable guide at the bottom bracket. This significantly reduced the friction of the whole system.

Gearing is still taking getting used to, as its a bit steeper than I typically ride and with massive jumps. I'm both getting older and spoiled by my more modern drivetrains, I think.

There's plenty of clearance with these tires (27 x 1-1/4" Paselas), and I suspect I could go up to 38mm if I switched the rims to 700c. The main issue is getting the rear wheel into the dropouts - the conflict is with the chainstay bridge. You'd need to have the tire under-inflated.

Bike handled fine on the groomed gravel trail I was on this morning:

which leads to a nice overlook of the Colorado Front Range:

I took a paved descent back home and found the bike to handle much more comfortably in the drops. I almost always ride on the flats or hoods, so that will take some getting used to as well.

And the issue? I forgot to correctly route the drive-side toe strap through the top loop on clip, and so it got loose on the descent.

Also, I must confess to one sin - I bought some brown Cane Creek hoods to replace the black Dia-Compe hoods I had on hand, as I thought the black levers, hoods and tape was too much.
Really came out nicely!!!
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 04-08-20, 07:27 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Oooh. AND Aaaaah.

Originally Posted by Ottomotion
It was a fun project....
Before

During...

After

Diggin' it
Old 04-08-20, 07:37 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Originally Posted by jeirvine
That is a fine bike, and a perfect build. I have an orange semi-pro in the pipeline. This inspires me to get working on it. It's nice you were able to get the black rings and Cyclones. Cool bike!
Thanks for the compliment.

You should get to that Semi-Pro. The pearl paint and chrome is just such a nice combination; and the orange version is an iconic look.

Wish I would have gone with 700c rims to allow for larger tires, but I was mostly trying to keep to the spirit of the Challenge and work only with what was on hand.
Old 04-08-20, 09:24 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
I'm working on this sad Holdsworth Mistral I picked from OfferUp on my birthday last fall.

Two issues held up the tear down. The stem was stuck solid. It took a couple of weeks of PB Blaster applications and daily gentle persuasion with a rawhide mallet before it came out. I thought the bottom bracket fixed cup was frozen too, but after several tries, I took a closer look and saw the markings indicated Italian threads! The bottom bracket shell is 68mm, so it must have been a Monday hangover build and repair.

I should be able to make it ride-able and looking more like a proper road bike using parts on hand. I'll keep the Dura Ace crankset, the Suntour 7 front and VX-GT rear derailleurs and Superbe calipers. After I've put some miles on it to be sure I like it, I plan to have it powdercoated where I work and get new decals.
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 04-11-20, 03:53 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Certainly nothing C&V with this bike,2006 Schwinn SS DBX. It is what I had to do the challenge with. An earlier post showed the bike disassembled, and being rebuilt. I did a fifty mile ride today, pavement, gravel, cinder and forest trail. I estimate about 17 miles were off pavement. Took some pictures along the way. A beautiful day with sunshine, increasing wind, and a high of about 57 deg. F. Left home at 10am and got back at 3:15pm, numerous stops. Actually, it's my first 50 miler this year.

Holts Landing state park

HLSP boat launch

James Farm fresh pond area

Indian River inlet with Coast Guard ship

Muddy Neck Wildlife area and my lunch spot.

Assawoman Wildlife area, South Bethany in the distance.

Back home with 50 miles

I don't mind saying that with the gravel/dirt/cinder, the wind and the weight of the bike, my legs were feeling it. It was a really nice exploration ride. I very seldom ride off road, and I discovered that in the past few years there has been a big increase in areas available to do this kind of riding. Pretty cool!
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-11-20, 05:28 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,130 Posts
A lot of good work and nice bikes here!
I'm afraid I'm a little late to the party: I think I can make the April 19th build deadline if I can come up with all the pieces in my collection.
This one is actually a rebuild. I tore this bike down to sell a while back when the number of bikes was getting too large and the funds in the bike account were getting too small. I sold some of the components but was asking too much for the frame. Maybe I didn't really want to sell it! I've accumulated a few more components since then, so I'm pretty sure I have everything to build it back up.
Wish me luck.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 04-11-20, 07:27 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Obrentharris,

Good luck! My bike was also torn down to do a major cleaning in anticipation of selling it. I discovered an issue with the headset and the BB and postponed the sale. I saw this challenge thread and voila. The BB just needed to be cleaned, regreased and reinstalled. The headset had to be rebuilt and I used some of the original set and a couple of parts from another headset I had on hand, bearings, top race and top cap. I also switched wheelset to an OEM from a different bike, and put the front rack and wider tires, 35mm Conti Contact plus, back on it. Oh yeah, just remembered, I switched handlebars to an FSA adventure bar. I am now going to keep the bike. I have a new respect for it.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-11-20, 08:59 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
I'm not sure if this counts, I've been collecting parts for many months, but I did finish this bike today, Its not a lightweight, but it eats gravel beautifully, and the tires roll surprisingly quickly on asphalt, Sturmey 5 speed in the back.

Likes For jackbombay:
Old 04-12-20, 09:50 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I'm not sure if this counts, I've been collecting parts for many months, but I did finish this bike today, Its not a lightweight, but it eats gravel beautifully, and the tires roll surprisingly quickly on asphalt, Sturmey 5 speed in the back.

I love it. Especially if that's a Campy 10s crank on a Raleigh Sprite.
Old 04-12-20, 12:01 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by jeirvine
I love it. Especially if that's a Campy 10s crank on a Raleigh Sprite.
It is a Campy crank! With a 103mm BB spindle the chain line is actually perfect with the rear cog flipped and all the way outboard.

I have Diacomp Weinmann center pull knockoffs on it too so the bike really is multicultural!

Last edited by jackbombay; 04-12-20 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 04-12-20, 07:32 PM
obrentharris 

Small victories today.
First I actually had a Campy French bottom bracket in my Campy box. I'm fond of French bikes so I seldom part with any French dimensioned parts.

I glued tires to rims today.

Unfortunately one of the two NOS tires that I bought cheap at a swap meet held air just fine before I glued it but chose the moment right after I mounted it to tear where the valve attaches to the tube. In the defense of the seller he made no guarantee as to the condition of these tires. If the other one holds up I'm still way ahead on my $10 investment.
Victory number two - I had a used spare tubular I can use for this build.

Brent
Old 04-15-20, 09:08 PM
obrentharris 

I finished building the LeJeune today with no further mishap. My 14-mile shakedown cruise was half pavement and half dirt or gravel.
I had to use a rather unusual spare tire since I used up all my other spares building this bike.

Brent
Old 04-17-20, 08:11 PM
jackbombay

Put 25 miles on my quarantine build today, it was cold, high of 42*, but pretty clear skies...I wasn't shooting for 50 miles, just giving it a good leg stretcher. probably 8 miles on gravel, probably need to drop pressure for a more comfy gravel travel, I'm at 40 up front 50 in the back, with a 41c tire, I weight 160 pounds... All in all I'm digging this bike though!

Old 04-20-20, 12:09 AM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts

I work in an essential industry and have been in my office throughout the quarantine / shelter period, but managed to finish the Holdsworth this weekend from parts on hand. I kept the Dura Ace cranks and found another spindle that gave a better chainline. The Suntour VX-GT rear derailleur had a bent cage and was changed to a Shimano XT. The bars, stem and brake levers were on hand with barely long enough cables and blue tape. The wheels and tires were intended to be at Eroica California 2 weeks ago. I took a short ride around the block Sunday and after I make a few adjustments will try a longer ride soon.
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 04-20-20, 01:36 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
CO_Hoya
You may need a bigger rudder with that big of a frame to ride on the hoods.
Old 04-20-20, 08:52 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Technically the build portion of the challenge was up on Sunday...

...but much like the shelter in place orders let's extend the build due date by 2 weeks.

Absolutely enjoy everyone's bikes so far, most of you are finished building and working out the ride portion of the challenge. Now we all need to work on the good deeds.

Keep up the good work everyone! I thought it always better to have a bike able to ride verse letting them hang there collecting dust.
Old 04-20-20, 09:58 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Originally Posted by merziac
CO_Hoya
You may need a bigger rudder with that big of a frame to ride on the hoods.
If you're saying I need a big butt to keep things stable, then I've got that covered these days thanks to COVID-19.

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
.Absolutely enjoy everyone's bikes so far, most of you are finished building and working out the ride portion of the challenge. Now we all need to work on the good deeds.
Agreed, it's fun to see how this went many different ways depending upon what we all had available.

Good deed is already planned and being worked on. Hoping for good weather and enough of a window for that 50mi ride.

Last edited by CO_Hoya; 04-20-20 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-20-20, 11:45 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
If you're saying I need a big butt to keep things stable, then I've got that covered these days thanks to COVID-19.

Agreed, it's fun to see how this went many different ways depending upon what we all had available.

Good deed is already planned and being worked on. Hoping for good weather and enough of a window for that 50mi ride.
I was talking about even wider handlebars, probably should have used tiller, I have realized on some of my big frames, they can calm them down,
Old 04-20-20, 04:09 PM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
Finished my TVT build (originally posted in post 59 of this thread) on arrival of the 9 speed chain and finding a different set of pedals which I was able to use.

Rode around the neighbourhood for a couple of KMS but the bike as configured is much too big for me. Narrower bars, a shorter stem, shorter cranks and dropping the seat a few cm should do the trick.

IMG_4946 by bj.stevens, on Flickr

That will be a project for a rainy day.

Cheers.

Brad
Old 04-22-20, 10:00 AM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
donated ten miles short,,,,

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
...but much like the shelter in place orders let's extend the build due date by 2 weeks.

Absolutely enjoy everyone's bikes so far, most of you are finished building and working out the ride portion of the challenge. Now we all need to work on the good deeds.

Keep up the good work everyone! I thought it always better to have a bike able to ride verse letting them hang there collecting dust.

After overhearing a conversation when ridden to cafe breakfast I donated it to waitress (for husband) who was being stressed by their two kids with new bikes to get out of lock down. So I put together another from a carbon/Al frame trek I no longer trust. It was a wreck salvage rebuilt and wrecked hard again (by me) two years ago. Can't bring myself to throw it out but certainly can't sell or give it to anyone either. So I will use it as a left outdoors beater bike and try to give my nice single speeder to a younger brother. My wife keeps saying "not everyone needs a bike" but since she married me I clearly can't trust her judgement about everything! So I should finish the ride part of the challenge on this.

I had a nice Sora groupset on it when I crashed it and stripped it down to build out a Giant Carbon/Al CFR-1. Which is good, but the Trek rode much better.
Old 04-22-20, 05:22 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
finished?

Rode 12 miles today and stopped at the cafe for a pic on the way home. Best news about this bike is entire thing consists of parts I have no use for or real money in, so it won't bother me me if it vanishes. I've managed to go from 14 to 7 bikes (with 2 yet to get rid of). And I really want to get back to riding my favorite, an ultegra fitted '86 Ironman.

Although a carbon "beater bike" with a campy triple crank is almost disturbing...
Old 04-24-20, 09:34 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Originally Posted by grayEZrider
After overhearing a conversation when ridden to cafe breakfast I donated it to waitress (for husband) who was being stressed by their two kids with new bikes to get out of lock down. So I put together another from a carbon/Al frame trek I no longer trust. It was a wreck salvage rebuilt and wrecked hard again (by me) two years ago. Can't bring myself to throw it out but certainly can't sell or give it to anyone either. So I will use it as a left outdoors beater bike and try to give my nice single speeder to a younger brother. My wife keeps saying "not everyone needs a bike" but since she married me I clearly can't trust her judgement about everything! So I should finish the ride part of the challenge on this.

I had a nice Sora groupset on it when I crashed it and stripped it down to build out a Giant Carbon/Al CFR-1. Which is good, but the Trek rode much better.
Awesome story! The trek looks great as well, way to keep in the spirit!
Old 05-02-20, 10:40 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Aborted challenge ride

This thread has fallen far off the front page so thought I'd give it a bump.

The clock is ticking on 50-mile ride deadline for the challenge. I was hoping to get out this morning but the weather this morning wasn't having it, with cool overcast skies and a light drizzle (hey, I'm soft).

Instead, I took a 12-mile loop around town with the bike in "final" configuration. I scrounged up a mirror, Flickstand and rear trunk from the shed, and swapped out the clip pedals for SPDs. Coffee mug mounted and off I go.

Town is still quiet with the COVID-19 restrictions in place for another week at least in my country. The barbershop is dark. The phone decided to eat the back wheel for some reason.

I rode the perimeter of town on the various MUPs and gravel trails we have. This means I get to tour the various farms and pastures rather than the suburbs.

Lots of cattle pastures on three sides of town. To the north:

And to the west. That's Boulder Valley in the fog and drizzle down there.

And finally to the south of town, near home. The bike got quite muddy on the ride (check the head tube).

Hopefully I can get a longer ride on the bike one of these weekends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.