Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help choosing rigid fork size. GT transeo 4.0

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 02:03 PM
BehrCaptain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I am new here and recently started building bikes. I aquired a 2013 GT transeo 4.0 with a sr suntour nex 4110 front suspension fork. It has 63mm of travel. I would like to replace this fork with a rigid fork. I have done some reading but do not know if I need a suspension corrected fork or not. This is not a mountain bike and is a commuter / hybrid from the factory. This model year has no lockout so I want to just shed the weight and go rigid. Any advice would help. It seems from axle to crown is 18 inches if I am measuring correctly. Tires are 700c with V-brakes. The steerer tube is 1 1/8 non threaded. Frame size 16". I know that a star nut will have to be installed on a new fork and it may need to be cut down. I just am not sure what I am looking for size wise. Thank you ahead of time.

Last edited by BehrCaptain; 06-29-20 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 08:36 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
You could try finding a suspension corrected fork but it isn't necessary. Any rigid fork that fits a wider 700c tire with V-brakes will be tall enough not to change the geometry much.

Do you have any bike co-ops nearby? The one near my has bins of forks for cheap. You just have to make sure the steerer tube is long enough.
Old 06-30-20, 08:45 AM
BehrCaptain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
You could try finding a suspension corrected fork but it isn't necessary. Any rigid fork that fits a wider 700c tire with V-brakes will be tall enough not to change the geometry much.

Do you have any bike co-ops nearby? The one near my has bins of forks for cheap. You just have to make sure the steerer tube is long enough.
Thanks a bunch. We have 1 nearby that I will stop at. I was hoping this was the case but was not sure after reading about other rigid conversions. I noticed that most of those had longer travel though. Hopefully I find something. Thanks again.