Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 12:33 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
If my behavior is so offensive, I think by now I would have been called out on it. Generally if I can stick with a group for 10-20 miles then I might get a few words in with a couple riders. But most rides I get in on there isn't much talking. And when I drop off or head home I usually get a couple "good ride"s. So whatever you guys are talking about, I haven't experienced. I like to think there is a sporting class of cyclist that excepts other fellow riders based on the simple abilities one shows on the bike. Thats why I say a glance at a group and I know their abilities and if I want to attach onto the group or not.
Old 07-14-20, 12:38 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I love getting behind a UPS truck that's driving through a residential neighborhood.
What do you do when they stop to deliver a package?
Old 07-14-20, 12:42 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Its called training and conditioning. Ride with guys faster than you. Build up your endurance and strength. It's why we are out riding in the first place, to get better and faster. Its like my friend used to say about the Sheridan Rd. rides..."Sunday is race day".
Its also staying out of the way of their ride. If they are way faster than me I dont want to disrupt their ride. If I appear stronger than the others then I participate and rotate thru. But basically I look for the faster riders to get the best workout.
Many years ago in South Africa, we had a local circuit that was a free-for-all and it was - and still is I believe - for anyone to jump in and out of at any time and groups would form. If you could hang in, no problem, if you could work, great. It is much as you describe and there is a Youtube Vlog of Willie Smit, SA Pro doing just that on a circuit near his home town. Great training. If this is how your circuit operates then have at it and enjoy!

Outside of that specific circuit however, if anyone drafted and was unwelcome then they were simply dropped - if a weaker rider needs the draft, it really isn't hard to jump clear and create a gap they can't get across. Naturally, this would be more difficult if an equally strong or stronger rider wanted to draft uninvited but there is an etiquette that ought to be followed in those situations and this means asking if you can join first if not invited by a group out on a ride that they have organised. I too love to train with stronger riders but I wouldn't want to get in the way of their training when weaker riders would be unwelcome for whatever reason.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-14-20, 12:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
All this seems to boil down to it may be local etiquette where the OP rides to wheelsuck, but don't do it anywhere else, or people will blow snot rockets at you. Regions differ - when I moved to CA from NY, I discovered that telling somebody "You're full of crap" in the course of a friendly discussion was taken far more seriously, and some folks actually get offended! It would surprise me a bit if etiquette even on Sheridan Drive encouraged riders to grab a wheel and never take a pull. Even if only for 30 seconds with an apologetic, "Sorry, guys, that's all I can manage today!"

WRT what's safe? Define safe. I've seen a fast group ride that never has problems almost get taken down by some clown who came up alongside and tried to cut in, so even the safety of the best behaved group is subject to change without notice. So, "What's a safe distance" is a question that has no one answer. Sometimes it's in inches, sometimes it's in feet, sometimes it's in bike lengths. But in any case you need the wheelsuckEE to know you're there, or it's not safe at all.

WRT sitting on being good training, I'd say it's good training for sitting on. If it were me, I'd take pulls even if it blew me up, because then I'd be training to take pulls. And much as I hate the prevailing headwind on the Northbound part of my rides, fighting it does make me stronger.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-14-20, 01:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
You run into the back of the truck, or course.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-14-20, 01:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I confess to once grabbing the last wheel of a passing group of riders, but in my defense, it was mile 98 of the first century I'd ever ridden, and I was facing the usual SF Peninsula afternoon headwind. And I only sat on for about 1/2 mile.

But I felt guilty about it afterwards....
Well that's a shame.. you came that close to an unassisted century and then caved in?
Old 07-14-20, 01:09 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by genejockey
You run into the back of the truck, or course.
Sometimes when you're trying to get up to the leading group, holding onto a sticky package from the UPS truck can really help you out.

That sounds wrong.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-14-20, 01:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Well that's a shame.. you came that close to an unassisted century and then caved in?
Well, to be fair, the distance I sat on was shorter than the distance I rode to and from the start/finish, so in total I did an unassisted century. Right?

Old 07-14-20, 01:20 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I shamelessly wheelsucked for a whole half a mile this morning-- moving along around 27-28mph. But it was a twin-trailer sand 'n gravel truck, so I don't think he minded... or even saw me. He made a left and I continued straight. Took about 500W to get into his slipstream. No guilt.
how close do you follow? don't you worry about him slamming on the brakes? we are only supposed to do stupid things when we are younger and invincible. (no offense, saying in jest!)

-scott
Old 07-14-20, 01:28 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
how close do you follow? don't you worry about him slamming on the brakes? we are only supposed to do stupid things when we are younger and invincible. (no offense, saying in jest!)

-scott
I used to draft trucks a lot in my wayward youth. We would often catch the big sugarcane rigs joining the highway and slip those upwards of 65mph! Then one day we dropped off and seconds later the rig trailer bounced as it slowed for something...literally back wheels off the ground for a second or two...we would've been squished on the back of that if we had stayed a little longer. No way would we have braked as fast. Never again! I ride with some younger guys now and I've warned them but they have a go anyway...I just shake my head and watch them go.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-14-20, 01:28 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What are you getting out of that that you couldn't get in your own wind?
Probably just better stats to show off on Strava

Originally Posted by velopig
The debate is not about if drafting is safe but rather jumping on some strangers wheel risking both him and yourself. Last thing I want on a solo ride or outing with my friends is some yokel of questionable ability sitting on our wheel. If you want company find a local riding group and join them. As stated earlier it’s usually the writers of questionable ability to jump on a random groups wheel. Competent riders if they want a group will find one or will ride alone.
+1. Often a cyclist will get behind me and stay there for a while. I am not the type to stop during a ride, but I'm sure one day I'll have to & might get rear ended by the person behind. I wouldn't find it funny at all. Roads are and will always be full of jackasses driving vehicles (motorized or not...).
Old 07-14-20, 01:30 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Think of it as a kind of motorpacing. I'm getting great training out if it. When a rider rotates back I layoff the back and let the rider drop in ahead of me so not to get in there way. Get it?
If I took a turn I would only hinder their progress. The other guys pointed out road debris fir me and had no issue with me hanging on.
I'd bunny hop a tree branch or pothole and feed it to you.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-14-20, 01:31 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I slow down, and pull around. UPS drivers are very safe, and don't make sudden stops because they don't want their load to shift.

The size of a UPS truck allows you to draft from 20'-30' back.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-14-20, 01:34 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I'd bunny hop a tree branch or pothole and feed it to you.
+1

If the wheelsucker doesn't ask before hopping on, he's going to have a rough ride.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-14-20, 01:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger

-scott
You don't have to get that close to them-- at ~30ft you're fully in the pocket. And they don't brake for anything except red lights, so no worries of them stopping. Same for cement mixers. The local roads have both in massive numbers, year round.

The biggest concern getting within a football field of a gravel truck is the same as when driving a car-- stuff coming off of the uncovered loads.
Old 07-14-20, 01:41 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
You don't have to get that close to them-- at ~30ft you're fully in the pocket. And they don't brake for anything except red lights, so no worries of them stopping. Same for cement mixers. The local roads have both in massive numbers, year round.

The biggest concern getting with a football field of a gravel truck is the same as when driving a car-- stuff coming off of the uncovered loads.
Uncovered loads? Is that legal in CA?
Old 07-14-20, 01:41 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
If my behavior is so offensive, I think by now I would have been called out on it. Generally if I can stick with a group for 10-20 miles then I might get a few words in with a couple riders. But most rides I get in on there isn't much talking. And when I drop off or head home I usually get a couple "good ride"s. So whatever you guys are talking about, I haven't experienced. I like to think there is a sporting class of cyclist that excepts other fellow riders based on the simple abilities one shows on the bike. Thats why I say a glance at a group and I know their abilities and if I want to attach onto the group or not.
If you're so convinced you're right that you're going to disregard the chorus telling you you're wrong, why did you ask?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 01:54 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
If you're so convinced you're right that you're going to disregard the chorus telling you you're wrong, why did you ask?
And there ^^^^^ is the best post of the thread!
Old 07-14-20, 02:46 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
With riders I know and trust, it's usually between 3" and 12".
With riders I don't know, it starts out around 18" - 24", and then if I learn to trust them over the course of the ride, goes down from there.
With riders I don't trust and can't convince myself I ever will, it hangs out around 24" - 36" ...until I find an opportunity to leave the ride.
Old 07-14-20, 02:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
As far as any cyclist getting on the wheel of another cyclist, I don't mind. It's nice when you tell me you are there. However only one person has done that in the last 10 years.

As for me getting on the wheel of others. I sometimes have to and I'll tell them I'm there. What else should I do when overtaking another coming up on a blind curve or other section where oncoming traffic can't be seen? Or for areas that might have other oncoming traffic further ahead of you.

So please, don't slam your brakes on if I have to stay behind you for those times. I can't stay 20 or 30 feet back and then pass safely on some of the straight-a-ways after some of our blind curves. So be a little less paranoid that I'm going to run into you.

My son and I routinely ride inches off each others wheel and haven't crashed into each other yet. The lead person should be predictable and communicate.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-14-20 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 03:03 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
With riders I know and trust, it's usually between 3" and 12".
With riders I don't know, it starts out around 18" - 24", and then if I learn to trust them over the course of the ride, goes down from there.
With riders I don't trust and can't convince myself I ever will, it hangs out around 24" - 36" ...until I find an opportunity to leave the ride.
OMG, an actual answer. And it makes sense. Thank you.
Old 07-14-20, 03:07 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Iride01
As far as any cyclist getting on the wheel of another cyclist, I don't mind. It's nice when you tell me you are there. However only one person has done that in the last 10 years.

As for me getting on the wheel of others. I sometimes have to and I'll tell them I'm there. What else should I do when overtaking another coming up on a blind curve or other section where oncoming traffic can't be seen? Or for areas that might have other oncoming traffic further ahead of you.

So please, don't slam your brakes on if I have to stay behind you for those times. I can't stay 20 or 30 feet back and then pass safely on some of the straight-a-ways after some of our blind curves. So be a little less paranoid that I'm going to run into you.

My son and I routinely ride inches off each others wheel and haven't crashed into each other yet. The lead person should be predictable and communicate.
Stay a safe distance back until it’s clear to pass. Act like it’s a matter of safety. What if I stab the brakes because of a hazard? Your life is worth more than being closer for that period of time, right? Don’t be a tailgating *******.
Old 07-14-20, 03:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

OMG, an actual answer. And it makes sense. Thank you.
OMG, you get one person agreeing with you and you’re happy. That makes sense. Thank you... for making it transparent that you were just looking for affirmation.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 03:10 PM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Stay a safe distance back until it’s clear to pass. Act like it’s a matter of safety. What if I stab the brakes because of a hazard? Your life is worth more than being closer for that period of time, right? Don’t be a tailgating *******.
So what are your thoughts on drafting vehicles?
Old 07-14-20, 03:12 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

So what are your thoughts on drafting vehicles?
I don’t do it. Do you think I’m dumb? I value my life and ability to walk.

Did you really think that was going to be your Matlock moment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.