Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zero offset seat posts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zero offset seat posts

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 09:50 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Zero offset seat posts

I was about to sell my Breezer Venturi when a fellow member suggested I try a zero offset seatpost. The change in comfort and power were drastic. I'm wondering whether it would be even better with something more than a zero offset. Does such a thing exist?
Old 07-25-20, 10:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10414 Post(s)
Liked 11,875 Times in 6,082 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
I was about to sell my Breezer Venturi when a fellow member suggested I try a zero offset seatpost. The change in comfort and power were drastic. I'm wondering whether it would be even better with something more than a zero offset. Does such a thing exist?
Isn't the effect of a zero offset seatpost just to move the saddle forward? Couldn't you just move your saddle forward on the zero offset post, unless it's already as far forward as it can go?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-25-20, 10:05 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yeah. Just turn your setback seatpost around.

But that looks super, super ugly.

And it might position you so far forward that you fall over the first time you try to take a corner at speed.
Old 07-25-20, 10:09 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Yeah

Originally Posted by genejockey
Isn't the effect of a zero offset seatpost just to move the saddle forward? Couldn't you just move your saddle forward on the zero offset post, unless it's already as far forward as it can go?
A zero offset supposedly increases the seat tube angle by 2 degrees. The saddle is already as forward as it can go. Recall this bike has a very long ETT (57.5cm) for a size 54cm.
Old 07-25-20, 10:10 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yeah. Just turn your setback seatpost around.

But that looks super, super ugly.

And it might position you so far forward that you fall over the first time you try to take a corner at speed.
That's what I thought, but it turns all the seat posts I have can't level a saddle when turned around the other way. Are there seat posts designed to level saddles no matter the direction?
Old 07-25-20, 10:12 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
That's what I thought, but it turns all the seat posts I have can't level a saddle when turned around the other way. Are there seat posts designed to level saddles no matter the direction?
Yep. Lots of aero bikes with aero seatposts have that. My Felt has that. Can run the seatpost in either position.
Old 07-25-20, 10:17 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
There's this...

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-25-20, 10:26 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Thanks

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yep. Lots of aero bikes with aero seatposts have that. My Felt has that. Can run the seatpost in either position.
So any aero seat post can be run in either position/direction or just some? I'm looking for keywords I can search for when buying.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Thanks.
Old 07-25-20, 10:44 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Pro bike fitters would not recommend this. The saddle should be back far enough to keep the weight off your hands. The exception might be a bike with a 72.5 STA. I've always used a 25mm setback post. If I moved the saddle 20mm forward, the stem should be made 20mm longer, otherwise you're moving the saddle to correct a reach problem, which also wrong.
Old 07-25-20, 11:24 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Pro bike fitters would not recommend this. The saddle should be back far enough to keep the weight off your hands. The exception might be a bike with a 72.5 STA. I've always used a 25mm setback post. If I moved the saddle 20mm forward, the stem should be made 20mm longer, otherwise you're moving the saddle to correct a reach problem, which also wrong.
It depends a bit on your body type. I find a set-back seatpost closes up my hip angle way too much - i ride zero setback seatposts and am perfectly well balanced. I suspect my long legs/short torso may have something to do with it.
Old 07-25-20, 11:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by guadzilla
It depends a bit on your body type. I find a set-back seatpost closes up my hip angle way too much - i ride zero setback seatposts and am perfectly well balanced. I suspect my long legs/short torso may have something to do with it.
I have one bike with a zero setback seatpost, but it's got a 72.5 STA and I have shortish thighs, so that's a bad match. My bikes with 73 or 73.5 STAs, the saddle's all the way forward on setback posts.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-25-20, 11:35 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by genejockey
I have one bike with a zero setback seatpost, but it's got a 72.5 STA and I have shortish thighs, so that's a bad match. My bikes with 73 or 73.5 STAs, the saddle's all the way forward on setback posts.
To what end? Knee over pedal, or some other criteria? I pay no attention to the idea of knee over pedal and neither do some of the most respected fitters, like Steve Hogg. I ride a fairly small frame and those tend to have 74-74.5 degree STAs, Each degree is only about 10mm.
Old 07-25-20, 11:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

To what end? Knee over pedal, or some other criteria? I pay no attention to the idea of knee over pedal and neither do some of the most respected fitters, like Steve Hogg. I ride a fairly small frame and those tend to have 74-74.5 degree STAs, Each degree is only about 10mm.
KOPS, because it works for me. Funny thing is, I'm working off a fitting that was done...Oh, about 22 years ago now, but that fit is comfortable for any distance I've been capable of riding, allows me to spin freely, climb without knee pain, and descend as fast as I can go without panicking. So, I replicate it on every bike. If the saddle's too far back I can't get comfy.

Old 07-25-20, 11:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
Keep in mind this is the notorious Breezer Venturi OP is trying to make rideable. Nothing "normal" applies....
Old 07-26-20, 02:21 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
I ride a 56 at 177cm due to a long torso.
My fitter also has me setup on a 0 offset post with saddle forward. I have a gorilla frame with very short femurs. This setup is required to get me close to KOPS.
I feel fine on it.

Likes For illdrag0n:
Old 07-26-20, 08:52 AM
DaveSSS 

Your knee could be 2cm behind KOP and it wouldn't hurt a thing.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-26-20, 09:37 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
KOPS is just a starting point for weight distribution between hands, saddle, & feet. There are countless examples of other fits where KOPS doesn't apply either because of the bikes intended use, be it maybe a couple of miles at a time like a dutchie, or some styles of mountain biking, or because the weigh is not bourne by the sit bones like the fit on a recumbent or by elbows & shoulders like a TT bike.

But there are also countless examples of where it *is* an appropriate starting point. Road bikes.

In any case, to get back on the OP's question: RedShift Sports makes a dual position seat post that will move your seat 5cm forward to a TT position & up an appropriate amount for proper distance to maintain the same leg extension. Effectively it temporarily converts your bike to a TT bike & back again in an instant.

Most people pair the dual position seat post with aero bars because that is what it is designed to mate to. But I just use it to strongly stay in the drops for extended periods or to fight wind & can stay there until my neck, shoulders/arms get tired of holding up my torso. Then I flip back to the standard KOPS road position & carry on further on down the trail & faster on that segment than I was before.

Last edited by base2; 07-26-20 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-26-20, 12:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
Maybe these can be merged. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...r-venturi.html
Old 07-26-20, 08:20 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Maybe ask Yoda?

Fit you I will ...

The bike is fine. Im just bw sizes with it.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Keep in mind this is the notorious Breezer Venturi OP is trying to make rideable. Nothing "normal" applies....
Old 07-26-20, 09:14 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
If you need the saddle further forward than what you can get with a zero setback post something is wrong.
What is your saddle height and set back from the BB?
Old 07-28-20, 07:47 AM
DaveSSS 

At 5'-6" or 168cm, with an 83cm inseam and 73cm saddle height, I have long legs and short torso. I use a 25mm setback post with the saddle further back than the midpoint. I also use a fairly large saddle to bar drop of 10cm. That requires no steering tube spacers and a -17 stem. If I have a frame with a reach that's in between stem sizes, I choose the shorter 100mm stem and push the saddle back further rather than use a 110 with the saddle further forward. I do a lot of climbing and the further back position works better for climbing, IME. Part of the post setback is due to the steeper STA of 74-74.5 degrees, used on smaller frames. I could even use a frame with a 75 degree STA, in some brands. That would require a 32mm setback post for me.

The forward positions on the pro bikes are accompanied by a large saddle to bar drop and long reach, similar to that of a time trial bike, but without the aero bars. With the vast majority of cyclists not competing, pro positions aren't all that relative to the average Joe cyclist. Most would find the position to be uncomfortable.
Old 07-28-20, 05:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
A seatpost shouldn't be chosen based on the reach of a bike.

you have the wrong fit. Get yourself a new bike.
Old 07-28-20, 06:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Fit you I will ...

The bike is fine. Im just bw sizes with it.
I suspect that if you're between two sizes, both of them are smaller than this bike.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-28-20, 07:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
That would either force me to a more acute torso/thigh angle and limit my breathing, esp diaphram or force me to raise my handlebars to open the angle, also increasing my wind resistance.

Now I am long limbed. A 73 ST and traditional setback post would have the seat pushed back a bunch. But I would also be riding a slammed 140 stem to get the reach. And I'd have real weight on my hands. (Since my bike is custom I get to do what I want. 74 st, 60 mm setback post and the rails centered. 120 stem simply because that is what Eddy and God ride. The ST angle and post setback are to 1) get the rear wheel forward for my forward weight and 2) centered seat rails means the ti rails go forever. Ti rails = butt comfort for me.)

To ride without hand issues I have to pay real attention to details like handlebar shape and rotation and lever size, shape and rotation. But that is (at least still, at 67 yo) doable, I get to ride a low, powerful position without issue and not work a lot harder than I have to to go upwind.

Edit: I am in mo way badmouthing zero offset posts. They do not work for me unless I do some pretty unusual things with frame geometry, but the goal is to get what works for that rider. I know probably no one I would put on my setup!
Old 07-28-20, 10:02 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Saddle position also has a lot to do with the type of riding that you are doing. For example saddle position for time trialing or the track racing. A zero setback post might be completely appropriate for events other than road riding.