Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Can't get comfortable with new gravel bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-29-20, 01:00 PM
JGAN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a new bike that I'm having a lot of trouble descending and turning on looser gravel with. It just feels like the front end constantly wants to slip out if I'm not going straight.

Technique definitely plays a lot into this, but could this also be a result of things like higher trail, shorter front-center, or slick tires? I just cant seem to get comfortable with it compared to my other bikes.
Old 07-29-20, 02:28 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Are your other bikes also drop bar bikes that you ride on the same terrain with or are you comparing to something totally different like an MTB or some type of flatbar bike and what size (width) tires are on those bikes?

Last edited by u235; 07-29-20 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-29-20, 02:32 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Seems like it could be any of those things. What tires? And what type of loose gravel?
Old 07-29-20, 03:21 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Turning on loose gravel at speed is tricky - the same is true for motorbikes, too.

I'd aim for gradual and do most of my braking with the rear wheel - drift if ya gotta.
Likes For ph0rk:
Old 07-29-20, 04:56 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
Seems like it could be any of those things. What tires? And what type of loose gravel?
This is important info. Also what size tires and what pressure are you running?
Old 07-29-20, 05:33 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
This is important info. Also what size tires and what pressure are you running?
I know I just went from some wtb resolute 42 tires to Schwalbe g-one all around 38 tires. They’re nice a roll a bit faster but certainly are a squirrellier than my old tires
Old 07-29-20, 06:49 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Slick tires on a gravel bike?

Sounds like somebody tried turning it into a road bike. I'd start with putting on some proper gravel tires at least 38 mm wide. Use one of those on line tire pressure calculators to get a ball park figure to start.
Old 07-29-20, 07:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
lower your tire pressure, assuming they are big enough. What tires? And what pressure are you running them at?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-29-20, 08:35 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
What bike are you riding? What tires and pressure? What was your previous bike? What is the road surface like (deep and loose, hardpack, sand, mud, broken chipseal, loose rolly stuff on hard pack, Big chunly stiff, big cobbles, etc. Does it handle well on the road? What is your weight and experience level on gravel?
Old 07-30-20, 07:34 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by JGAN
Technique definitely plays a lot into this, but could this also be a result of things like higher trail, shorter front-center, or slick tires? I just cant seem to get comfortable with it compared to my other bikes.
Yes.

My bike is like that for the reasons you listed - although I'd say the short wheelbase is the biggest factor in my case. Climbs like a goat, but it will not drift. I can do all kinds of hooligan moves on my old school mountain bike, and go sideways all I want, but not on my gravel bike. The front end just washes out long long before the rear gets loose (even if I throw on a 54mm aggressive mountain bike tire on the front at 20psi).
Old 08-01-20, 09:25 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I have two gravel bikes, a 650B and a 700C. I just swapped tires on the 700c bike from Knards 41's to Nano 40's and man, it is a totally different bike now. Noticeably faster, but waaaaay more challenging in loose corners. The change is quite dramatic, actually, even though the tires aren't really THAT different. I'd say, start with trying some different rubber.