Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ISO and for trade thread part 5

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ISO and for trade thread part 5

Old 07-31-20, 09:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
This is a long shot, but I'm trying to see if I can built up a motorized bike for a friend: ISO a modern, 26" (559) front fork with disc brake mounts. Rigid, not suspension. 1-1/8" threaded or threadless steerer, if threaded, minimum steerer length of 185mm if threaded, 210mm if threadless.

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
So today's special value to another C&V member...
PM me. Smiles, MH
MH, you're too good to us. Really. My hat is off to you.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-31-20, 09:54 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Folks,
Once again the war department has gotten wound up. The thing that started it was another city deer issue (eating her garden plants like it was a salad bar) and the fire spread quickly. So today's special value to another C&V member is this Parks double repair stand assembly with two heads and new clamp parts. I think I have roughly $600 in this set up destined for my local co-op who said no thanks! As always cost of shipping which may be close to a C-note. I trust this will move along to a person who is upgrading and will pass the stand they are using along to another member. No fighting and again order of replies will determine the one who gets it. Pics:
PM me. Smiles, MH
Man, this is really tempting. I would love to get rid of my secondary Minoura stand and ditch the crappy Bikehand stand I have bolted to my shop bench. I'll defer to another member though. Your most recent hook-up from last year was kindness enough to last me a couple years. If nobody cashes in on the stand, let me know. I'll cover both S&H expenses. Time is money.

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
​​​​​​ Don't you dare leave the rest of us in suspense.
I'll leave it to @noglider if he wants to share the details. I'll just say he sent me some spoke nipples. They went in an envelope, so to keep them stationary they got taped to a piece of paper ripped out of a magazine, if I recall. To whom and where they landed was immeasurably hilarious, although I believe it may've been unintentional at the time.

Oh, and Tom, since I already tagged you here, you should have email. Give me a shout over there and I'll get some rat traps out to you on my dime. I owe you one, and I'm still steadily paying forward Mad Honk 's generosity from last year.

Likes For francophile:
Old 07-31-20, 11:15 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Folks,
Once again the war department has gotten wound up. The thing that started it was another city deer issue (eating her garden plants like it was a salad bar) and the fire spread quickly. So today's special value to another C&V member is this Parks double repair stand assembly with two heads and new clamp parts. I think I have roughly $600 in this set up destined for my local co-op who said no thanks! As always cost of shipping which may be close to a C-note. I trust this will move along to a person who is upgrading and will pass the stand they are using along to another member. No fighting and again order of replies will determine the one who gets it. Pics:

PM me. Smiles, MH
Pm sent
Old 07-31-20, 04:34 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
ISO Topeak Quick Track mounting gear "fixer" the plastic mounting hardware, not bags.

I have an MTX Explorer rack and wanted to diy some mods.

Preferably for postage, or small coin.

Something like the Fixer 4, 6, or one scavenged from an MTX bag.

Merci!

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 07-31-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 05:10 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Folks,

PM me. Smiles, MH
Well folks,
Mountain Dave is doing a summer vacation as a mechanic at a shop which will upgrade to this set up. Hopefully they will pass along the single unit they are currently using to a person as a pay it forward gesture. Thanks to the three people who were interested in this item. Now on to find something to stop the deer from firing up the WD again! Thanks all!
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-31-20, 05:53 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Hey all,

Bought some wheels for a nice price and had this mystery frame thrown in. Cleaning it up brings out Easton Elite race tube marks. Actually fits me at 55cm square for race size!

wheels came with it but are don’t belong with original equipment. The BB is, DA 7700.

I would like to put to this a 1” CF fork, maybe one of the Nashbar ones. Whatever comes out of this quest would be fine!

BTW, Nalsima turns out to be a big racing team in Japan. I think this came out of the shop which sponsored them or it might have been one of their early racers. I still researching...

Thanks all!

Need to get a pic of the blue sticker and find out what it says.

EDIT: a great BF member happened to have a few 1” CF forks so I am set. Arrival on Tuesday puts this surprise project moving quick!

Last edited by 3speedslow; 08-08-20 at 05:10 PM.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 07-31-20, 06:59 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Well folks,
Mountain Dave is doing a summer vacation as a mechanic at a shop which will upgrade to this set up. Hopefully they will pass along the single unit they are currently using to a person as a pay it forward gesture. Thanks to the three people who were interested in this item. Now on to find something to stop the deer from firing up the WD again! Thanks all!
I might have something for you. It's a have-a-heart deer zapper... It's a little gizmo on a stake you push in the ground. It works on a battery with a scent lure. When the deer touch it with their nose, or stick out their tongue to check it out, it gives them a small but surprising electric shock. I'll check to see what I have around. Unobtrusive, not hazardous, blah,blah, blah. Yours, whatever I find for shipping, if you're interested. The least obtrusive of the few things that they don't get quickly accustomed to, besides having a dog outdoors*... Cyclists riding on the local MUPS, passing them nibbling away on the 6 foot verge? Around here? Bah, not terribly concerned, not unless you stop or do some abrupt unexpected movement... Which no sane person would do, as they are almost as likely to jump into you, than away.
I can still remember as a kid, being excited, seeing my very first deer, on Mt. Katahdin, in Maine, it was 100 yds from us and already startling away...

*Or you could put up a 7 foot high fence, which will keep them out, unless they want to get in, in which case they will just jump over it...
Cheers, Eric
Old 07-31-20, 07:42 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Last Ride,
The seven foot fencing is on order but needs to be shipped into Bloomington. The deer have decimated the hostas, and went after the pepper plants as well. interesting that they don't touch the basil or sage plants, spring time they go after the buds and blooms of the tiger lilys. If I were on the farm I could shoot them nuisance animals, but here in town discharge of a firearm would get me jail time. And these city deer would not make enough meat to make a few rolls of sausage. Smiles, MH
Old 07-31-20, 09:06 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Last Ride,
The seven foot fencing is on order but needs to be shipped into Bloomington. The deer have decimated the hostas, and went after the pepper plants as well. interesting that they don't touch the ba Blsil or sage plants, spring time they go after the buds and blooms of the tiger lilys. If I were on the farm I could shoot them nuisance animals, but here in town discharge of a firearm would get me jail time. And these city deer would not make enough meat to make a few rolls of sausage. Smiles, MH
Experience gained produce farming on Martha's Vinyard, (where there were more deer than woodchucks, raccoons and skunks combined), I can tell you deer generally prefer plants that do not have strong scents. Capsaicin, however, bothers them not in the least. I've seen them decimate a row of Habaneros overnight ... Sending a PM. Not exactly C&V, this.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-31-20 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 07:50 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Stronglight & TA BB Spindles

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
ISO: Stronglight triple spindle (122mm+)
Have: double spindle 118mm
Both Stronglight and TA changed their published BB dimensions several times.

1974 Stronglight catalog:

1978 Stronglight catalog:

TA spindles interchange plus they are better quality than Stronglight. TA changed length specs several times. You have to go by actual measured length rather than by the Ref number.

1970's TA Ref # 374 spindle = 123.5mm

1983 TA Catalog Ref # 374 = 121.5mm.

TA Ref # 373 spindle listed as both 121mm and 118mm:

This one measures slightly under 118mm long.

Is it wrong... or just French?

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-01-20, 11:51 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Got the 68mm spindle squared away. Now I'm hunting a 120-123ish 70mm spindle (measuring 55mm between edge races, "B" measure below versus the 52mm most 68mm spindles show). A+B+C measure is negligible for me as long as overall is 120-123mm

I don't have any of the old rubber-block pedals, but I do have a pair of older rat traps that may fit the bill. Yours for the cost of shipping. I can measure any part of the rat-traps you want, just let me know.

Did you get what you need? This is 124mm OAL, but looks like 55 for the B dimension. Marked 5SB Cr-Mo 84-J. Sugino Italian cups were with it. Let me know and I can grab more pictures/dimensions.

edit: well crap, this is what I get for wiping off only half. Looks like the races on this side are pitted like crazy.

Last edited by AJI125; 08-01-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-01-20, 09:19 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Have: Right side Shimano 600 Arabesque shifter lever. No hardware.

Want: Pay the shipping and it’s yours.

-Kurt

Old 08-02-20, 07:30 AM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Last Ride,
The seven foot fencing is on order but needs to be shipped into Bloomington. The deer have decimated the hostas, and went after the pepper plants as well. interesting that they don't touch the basil or sage plants, spring time they go after the buds and blooms of the tiger lilys. If I were on the farm I could shoot them nuisance animals, but here in town discharge of a firearm would get me jail time. And these city deer would not make enough meat to make a few rolls of sausage. Smiles, MH
I build deer & elk fencing for a living and 8ft minimum for deer is my recommendation. 10ft for deer and elk. While seven feet may discourage them, they can still get in if so inclined. Not the brightest creatures in the world, especially in flight mode, but their physical jumping prowess is amazing.

Kevin
Old 08-02-20, 08:03 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Capsaicin, however, bothers them not in the least.
My understanding is only primates have receptors which respond to capsaicin.
Old 08-02-20, 08:18 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
My understanding is only primates have receptors which respond to capsaicin.
Mammals, in general, with varying degrees of sensitivity. Squirrels are said to be 1000x more sensitive than humans to it.
Old 08-02-20, 11:03 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Up for trade: 1992 Trek 930 frame, fork, headset, m501 cantilevers, stem, and True Temper bars.

More photos here.

Frame is in very good shape, is straight. It is a Trek 20" size - seat tube 20" CTT. Some interior corrosion present, but nothing an OA bath won't clean up. Small chips here and there, but no major paint issues.

I'm looking to trade for a mid to late 80's or later steel road frameset in 56-57 cm size in very good condition. Paint has to be good, frame has to be straight. Looking along the lines of an Ironman, Raleigh Racing USA Competition, and comparable.
Old 08-02-20, 12:38 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by AJI125
Did you get what you need? This is 124mm OAL, but looks like 55 for the B dimension. Marked 5SB Cr-Mo 84-J. Sugino Italian cups were with it. Let me know and I can grab more pictures/dimensions.
edit: well crap, this is what I get for wiping off only half. Looks like the races on this side are pitted like crazy.
Got it covered. smontanaro and I worked out an amicable trade, my pedals for a box full of spindles, mostly 68, one 70, and one 73. The single 70mm spindle he had was stamped '5SP' and was PERFECT. It was an Italian spindle with overall 123 length, if memory serves. Put the non-drive arm about 2mm out from original and the drive side is within 1mm, best I could measure. Crank arm clears the chainstay nicely. Now I just need to break it all down again, lube it up (I did a dry fitting).

I let one of my buddies who works with our co-op on French cottered conversions like this semi-regularly, and he scored two NOS spindles from SR marked 5SP with both bolts. He's hoping he'll get the same results, seller was cool enough to let them go for $16/ea which I know will help out the co-op a lot..

Old 08-02-20, 09:01 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Looking for a set of basic non-aero hooded Dia Compe brake levers with quick releases on the handles. Prefer the type without the adjusters on them. Need them for an '81 Miyata 1000 I picked up.

Will pay fair value or can work out a trade.
Old 08-03-20, 06:32 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
I ran out of chainstay stops

The wee little clamp-on ones for the rear mech cable. Any brand is ok - can't ride without one.
Old 08-03-20, 07:51 AM
rhender 

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2; 1988 Cannondale SR500; 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
WTB 26.2mm diameter seatpost

My new bstone takes a 26.2mm seatpost... This is proving very difficult to find and the Kalloy one that came stock doesn't allow for adjusting saddle angle so it's not going to work. Only thing I can really find in this size is Campy or Cinelli which is just too expensive. If anyone has a Nitto or Shimano 26.2 sized seatpost, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll probably go the shim route which I wanted to avoid, but I'm getting desperate.
Old 08-03-20, 08:30 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by rhender
My new bstone takes a 26.2mm seatpost... This is proving very difficult to find and the Kalloy one that came stock doesn't allow for adjusting saddle angle so it's not going to work. Only thing I can really find in this size is Campy or Cinelli which is just too expensive. If anyone has a Nitto or Shimano 26.2 sized seatpost, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll probably go the shim route which I wanted to avoid, but I'm getting desperate.
Dont get desperate. I have a few adjustable ones. Hold on and I will try and sneak past the dragon and avoid the hurricane we have coming to get some particulars for you. Might take a day or two...

What length do you need in the mean time?

3SSlow
Old 08-03-20, 08:36 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by rhender
If you can live with black, there’s this one:https://www.ebay.com/itm/203012510580
Old 08-03-20, 09:10 AM
rhender 

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Dont get desperate. I have a few adjustable ones. Hold on and I will try and sneak past the dragon and avoid the hurricane we have coming to get some particulars for you. Might take a day or two...

What length do you need in the mean time?

3SSlow
230mm but could probably take a little longer if needed. Thank you for your help and no rush! I appreciate it.
Old 08-03-20, 09:11 AM
rhender 

Originally Posted by nlerner
If you can live with black, there’s this one:https://www.ebay.com/itm/203012510580
I know beggars can't be choosers... but I can't go with black for this bike. Thank you for the heads up though!
Old 08-03-20, 11:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Man, this is really tempting. I would love to get rid of my secondary Minoura stand and ditch the crappy Bikehand stand I have bolted to my shop bench. I'll defer to another member though. Your most recent hook-up from last year was kindness enough to last me a couple years. If nobody cashes in on the stand, let me know. I'll cover both S&H expenses. Time is money.

I'll leave it to @noglider if he wants to share the details. I'll just say he sent me some spoke nipples. They went in an envelope, so to keep them stationary they got taped to a piece of paper ripped out of a magazine, if I recall. To whom and where they landed was immeasurably hilarious, although I believe it may've been unintentional at the time.

Oh, and Tom, since I already tagged you here, you should have email. Give me a shout over there and I'll get some rat traps out to you on my dime. I owe you one, and I'm still steadily paying forward Mad Honk 's generosity from last year.
I regret to say I barely remember mailing some spoke nipples to @francophile. He reminded me last week that I had wrapped them safely in Anthony Weiner's crotch. I guess it was a newspaper clipping? He sent me this image, apparently related.

I regret not remembering this as well as francophile does, but I'm glad it keeps entertaining, and it has entertained me again, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.