Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

new tire sidewall abrasion diy fix/protection ideas?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

new tire sidewall abrasion diy fix/protection ideas?

Old 08-04-20, 10:57 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Just wondering, how much is a a new tire?
Old 08-04-20, 02:35 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Shoe Goo lasts for about 2 miles of walking on pavement - it's next to useless for repairing shoes and probably worse on a tire sidewall at working load (60-100 psi). Buy a new tire, one less thing to worry about.
Old 08-04-20, 03:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
So, my thoughts are to put a Parks sticky boot on the inside of tire as a precaution
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I figure a boot where not needed is likely to cause more problems than not using one. It may eventually rub a hole in the tube​​​​​​​
I had a Schwalbe Marathon Plus that picked up a deep cut by a shard of glass about the first ride out.

I chose to put in a Park Boot a couple of days after it happened as it was a pretty large/deep cut.

The boot was so large, it caused the tire to bump. So I peeled it out (easy to do), and cut it in half and put it back in.

Over about 500 to 1000 more miles it ground a slit into the tube and caused a puncture that would be difficult to reliably patch.

I took some electrical tape and taped the boot back in, hoping to relieve some of the harsh edges. A couple hundred miles down the road the boot just disintegrated. I think that was the tire that I also wore a hole through the boot.

My conclusion is that the rotating tire is a fairly dynamic process, and the harshness of the Park Boots doesn't work well with the tire and tubes.
Old 08-04-20, 03:25 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by seeker333
Shoe Goo lasts for about 2 miles of walking on pavement - it's next to useless for repairing shoes and probably worse on a tire sidewall at working load (60-100 psi). Buy a new tire, one less thing to worry about.
I've had shoe goo last for quite some time on shoe soles. But, I have tried it on other applications such as patching an inflatable kayak (PVC), with less success. It tended to get hard over time and just peel off. I haven't tried it on a bike tire, and would be reluctant to do so.
Old 08-04-20, 03:40 PM
CliffordK

Ok, two posts on what I would NOT do.

I would probably just leave the damage above alone and watch it. I have had a Continental tire (Gator?) that had a lot of their cross-hatch sidewall strands go fuzzy without any ill effects (although I did blow a sidewall of a Gator Hardshell with no obvious pre-existing damage.

What I might try. Ideally one could find some butyl rubber paint, but unfortunately it costs more than the tire.

In one case with some moderate sidewall damage (bottomed out hitting a road crack), I put a radial tire patch on the inside of the tire with tapered edges. On the outside I glued a REMA style patch with tapered red edges. The two patches seemed to last fine, although I think over the life of the tire I developed some sidewall bulging near the damage.

Anyway, if aesthetics weren't a high priority, I might just glue on a Rema style patch on the outside and just call it good.
Old 08-04-20, 05:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have had much better luck than you with Shoe Goo. Every few hundred miles, I put a little more on.
Old 08-05-20, 04:43 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have had much better luck than you with Shoe Goo. Every few hundred miles, I put a little more on.
Every few hundred miles? Is that on shoes or tires? I m hoping that is on shoes. On shoes that would be fine, on tires it doesn't sound so great. On something like the damage shown in the original post which is largely cosmetic other than UV protection, I'd live with the UV degradation rather than carry a tube and apply every several days on a long tour. If several hundred miles means three or four hundred you'd be applying something like 10-15 times on a coast to coast trip.

Or are you maybe nursing a cut in the tread area with shoe goo? I can see it not lasting long in that usage.
Old 08-05-20, 04:53 AM
staehpj1

I'd agree if the damage was enough that I was worried about the integrity of the tire. I'd have no worries about the tire pictured in the first post in the thread unless it looks a lot worse in person. I'd expect it to last for a full normal life with no problems from that little scuff. I might keep an eye on when I did routine maintenance it but it definitely wouldn't keep me up at night. Shoe goo would be to prevent UV degradation if applied IMO, but I wouldn't bother.
Old 08-05-20, 07:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Every few hundred miles? Is that on shoes or tires? I m hoping that is on shoes. On shoes that would be fine, on tires it doesn't sound so great. ....
On shoes to build up the sole where abraded.

I had a glass cut in a tire, the cut was in the tread and a small bit of glass had caused a puncture. I obviously was worried about the cut damaging the tire cord, but it appeared to work ok. I had forgotten that I put some Shoe Goo into the cut until your post, but yes I put some Shoe Goo in the cut to try to glue the cut shut so sand and other particles could not get in and cause further damage to the cord.

But, a month or two later I decided that I was too nervous about that tire possibly having damaged cord, so I replaced it simply because I hate riding a bike that makes me nervous. That was on my rando bike that I have since used for some brevets, so don't want to be nervous about it.
Old 08-05-20, 08:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Just wondering, how much is a a new tire?
$115 + 15% tax, so 132 bucks, but the kicker is that on top of this rather high price (I've bought new car tires for less) the supply chain is buggered right now so who knows when they would get here.
I meant to order some 1.6 inch versions of these 2 inchers before covid but didn't and have my hands full with family stuff.

This specific tire situation isn't a critical thing, I just have this unused folding tire and will use it. Not planning to head off to outer Mongolia any time soon, so all is cool.
Old 08-05-20, 08:11 AM
djb

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I had a Schwalbe Marathon Plus that picked up a deep cut by a shard of glass about the first ride out.

I chose to put in a Park Boot a couple of days after it happened as it was a pretty large/deep cut.

The boot was so large, it caused the tire to bump. So I peeled it out (easy to do), and cut it in half and put it back in.

Over about 500 to 1000 more miles it ground a slit into the tube and caused a puncture that would be difficult to reliably patch.

I took some electrical tape and taped the boot back in, hoping to relieve some of the harsh edges. A couple hundred miles down the road the boot just disintegrated. I think that was the tire that I also wore a hole through the boot.

My conclusion is that the rotating tire is a fairly dynamic process, and the harshness of the Park Boots doesn't work well with the tire and tubes.
thanks clifford. A very good piece of personal experience that ill keep in my noggin. Don't know if a more lower pressure thicker 2-2.2in tube would fare better, but I'll remember your experience.
Old 08-05-20, 08:22 AM
djb

Re the shoe goo, so far it seems to be ok on the actual part of exposed sidewall threads, which is maybe a cm long but not much more than one mm high. I figure even if some of the goo peels off, the stuff in the little worn down section will probably stay in there and essentially protect the threads from dirt etc, and I can live with that, and I can live with putting a bit more once in a while.

but no, will not head off to Mongolia or Scotland with this tire. But that's fine.

thanks though for all the discussion, it is interesting to see people's experiences and views, entertaining anyway.
I'll post how it's holding up when I ride it more. Just busy with family.
Old 08-08-20, 03:14 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
$115 + 15% tax, so 132 bucks,
This piqued my curiosity. What tire is that? (sorry if I missed that in the thread) 🍻
Old 08-08-20, 03:23 AM
djb

Originally Posted by imi
This piqued my curiosity. What tire is that? (sorry if I missed that in the thread) 🍻
schwalbe supreme , mine is a 2 inch, but was quoted that price for the 1.6 inch version
and yes, this is about twice as much as common prices in Europe
Old 08-08-20, 04:22 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Ah that explains things. Thanks djb
Old 08-08-20, 06:52 AM
staehpj1

Something just occurred to me regarding the level of the damage and risk tolerance,

As I said, I figured the risk was low enough that I would have just used the tire and probably would have done nothing to repair it. I had not really given any thought to what the OP said about their situation so I was basing that judgement on my usage which would have been touring without a spare. I still feel the same way.

It only just occurred to me that djb carries a spare. Given that I can't imagine having any reservation about using the tire in the condition pictured. If you have any slight concern that the tire is more likely to strand you the fact that a spare was available should removed that concern.
Old 08-08-20, 07:41 AM
djb

Something just occurred to me regarding the level of the damage and risk tolerance,

As I said, I figured the risk was low enough that I would have just used the tire and probably would have done nothing to repair it. I had not really given any thought to what the OP said about their situation so I was basing that judgement on my usage which would have been touring without a spare. I still feel the same way.

It only just occurred to me that djb carries a spare. Given that I can't imagine having any reservation about using the tire in the condition pictured. If you have any slight concern that the tire is more likely to strand you the fact that a spare was available should removed that concern.
I have carried a spare on some of my longer trips, but wasnt planning to take one on this 5 or 6 day trip. Remember that this is my old spare, so I just wanted to put it on the bike and use it as one of my tires is getting squared off a fair amount. I even didnt carry this spare when crossing France a few years ago, I figured it would be easy to find a reasonable 26in tire in France if the need arose.

I'll take a photo sometime, but really, the shoe-goo has done a pretty good job of filling in the small wear area, and will protect the threads from stuff. I'm hoping it will stay on reasonably well for the time being.
Old 08-08-20, 07:55 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by djb
I have carried a spare on some of my longer trips, but wasnt planning to take one on this 5 or 6 day trip. Remember that this is my old spare, so I just wanted to put it on the bike and use it as one of my tires is getting squared off a fair amount. I even didnt carry this spare when crossing France a few years ago, I figured it would be easy to find a reasonable 26in tire in France if the need arose.

I'll take a photo sometime, but really, the shoe-goo has done a pretty good job of filling in the small wear area, and will protect the threads from stuff. I'm hoping it will stay on reasonably well for the time being.
Ah, okay. Still wouldn't worry much about it. Glad the shoe goo did a good job of covering it. If I had any concern it would be long term UV damage and the shoe goo should address that.

Have a great trip.
Old 08-08-20, 10:14 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
... when crossing France a few years ago, I figured it would be easy to find a reasonable 26in tire in France if the need arose.....
I mentioned above that some trips I carry a spare, some I do not.

It is getting harder to find 26 inch tires in USA bike shops. With some of the brands jumping onto the 650b bandwagon, some dealers are reducing inventory of 26 inch. Based on that, I am starting to think that I will probably carry a spare on all of my 26 inch bike trips in the future.

I do not think I have carried a spare on any of my 700c tours, I will revisit that decision before each trip, but my 700c trips are more likely to take me past bike shops that have a good inventory. That said, at a swap meet a couple years ago I picked up a new bargain priced cyclocross 700c tire, 33mm wide that was only 290 grams. Has small knobs, but I am sure I could ride on it for a few days and at only 290 grams, it is light enough that I might have to look for a reason to leave it at home.
Old 08-08-20, 01:11 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Not always but I often carry a Conti foldable Gatorskin 28mm just for emergency. Rolls up to the size of your fist and weighs in at about 280 g. Peace of mind.
Old 08-08-20, 01:21 PM
djb

Thanks stae
and the idea of a really light spare is a good one.
Old 08-08-20, 09:00 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
$115 + 15% tax, so 132 bucks, but the kicker is that on top of this rather high price (I've bought new car tires for less) the supply chain is buggered right now so who knows when they would get here.
I meant to order some 1.6 inch versions of these 2 inchers before covid but didn't and have my hands full with family stuff.

This specific tire situation isn't a critical thing, I just have this unused folding tire and will use it. Not planning to head off to outer Mongolia any time soon, so all is cool.
I would also be trying different ways to repair a tire too, at that price.
Old 08-23-20, 07:46 PM
djb

Follow up
so after 6 days of riding, the shoe goo has held up extremely well. The day after i put it on, a bit of it loosened, i suspect from riding it too soon. (The white parts in the photo).
but after about 500kms, 300 miles for you Imperialists, with a good 40lbs on the bike, and some riding over some really bumpy and loose dirt and gravel roads, the coatings i put on seem to look as they were before the trip.
I feel that it protected the threads you can see in the photo, just above the red line, and stayed on really well considering all the tire flexing going on.

may not be perfect, but pretty darn good, so I recommend this stuff if a need arises.
Old 08-23-20, 09:22 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
shoe goo...who knew?
Old 08-23-20, 09:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
This would be a good candidate for dacron sailcloth and contractor's contact cement on the inside. Dacron sailcloth as in the stuff a sailmaker would use for say an older class of racing dinghies, not the "sailcloth" in fabric stores. The repair would outlast the tire and be just as strong (or stronger than the casing.

I don't know if Montreal has a sailmaker. (I did sail with a guy who used to trail his boat down to Massachusetts from Montreal 50 years ago.) Might do a web search and if yes, give them a call and ask about getting a scrap. A square foot would keep you in first class boots a long time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.