Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleat Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cleat Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 11:20 AM
Ajaxab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cleat Question

I just bought a Favero Assioma Uno which required me to swap out my old Ultegra pedals to install. It also required me to swap cleat style on my shoes. In moving to a Look Keo cleat style, I'm getting some loose forward movement with the cleat with each pedal stroke. It's as if there's some forward play in the cleat-pedal connection. For some reason, it's only on the left pedal. I never had any of this movement with my old cleats. They felt totally locked in. I understand that there's the notion of float, but from what I understand, that it is more about lateral rather than forward movement. It almost feels like the cleat isn't fully secured. It feels about 90% there, doesn't render the Uno unuseable, but it's just enough to be annoying. I've tried to tighten the spring tension, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Have I misunderstood float and this 6 degree float reall is the play in the forward movement? Or is something off and needs adjusting? Or did I just get a bad cleat?

It does seem like these cleats are much lower quality than my older Shimanos. They already look more beat up after a few hundred miles than my Shimanos after several thousand miles.
Old 08-06-20, 02:51 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Float is just lateral/twisting - not forward/back - in the pedal.

So something else is going on - either you're not fully clipped in, or there's something wrong with the pedal or maybe the cleat. Can you try swapping the cleats on your shoes (L->R and R->L)? That would isolate hte problem to the pedal or the cleat.
Likes For drewguy:
Old 08-06-20, 02:57 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Try reducing the tension to see if that gets you clipped in more solidly. I like to use the least tension I can without inadvertently coming unclipped.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-06-20, 10:25 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
That's weird. My new Favero's just arrived today. I replaced a pair of Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti pedals (with 16nm blade), so I just kept my same cleats (I use the grey cleats, which have a medium amount of float -- 4.5 degrees.) Based on your comment and some other threads, I was worried about clipping in and stability, but that was not the case at all. The cleats clip right in and out super smoothly, and they feel rock solid once clipped in. Totally plug and play. In fact, they clip in and out more easily than my Looks, and they just as solid once I'm in. Maybe I just got lucky, but I'm very impressed. Anyway, I'd try a pair of Look grey grip cleats and see how that works.
Old 08-07-20, 02:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Are these Look brand Keo cleats, or a knockoff? There's some variation in quality control with some off brand cleats. I've had some that were good, some not so good. I buy Shimano SPD-SL and Look Keo brand cleats, but for my older Look Delta pedals I buy off brand and take my chances since Look brand Delta cleats are almost impossible to find now.
Old 08-08-20, 01:44 PM
Ajaxab

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I tried switching the cleats to the opposite shoe and still had the issue. About 10 miles in to my ride this morning, my crankset seemed to break. My pedals were suddenly at an acute angle to one another. Looks like it might actually be a bracket issue in the end. That could explain the strange forward movement.

Now I'm off the bike for a few weeks while I wait for the shop to clear its maintenance backlog. Glad I got some extra miles in in July!
Old 08-08-20, 02:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I like the black "key" in the middle of the Look pedals. If you use it, it allows easy replacement of the cleat with exact same alignment.

Old 08-19-20, 10:01 AM
Ajaxab

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP update...turns out the issue had nothing to do with cleats. My crank was actually starting to strip and needed to be replaced. The forward play I was experiencing was the crank slipping and not a cleat issue. It was just coincidence that the problem started right after I put the power meter pedals on and read about the clip in issues with the Assiomas. The crank was ultimately the problem. Live and learn!
Likes For Ajaxab:
Old 08-19-20, 06:00 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
OP update...turns out the issue had nothing to do with cleats. My crank was actually starting to strip and needed to be replaced. The forward play I was experiencing was the crank slipping and not a cleat issue. It was just coincidence that the problem started right after I put the power meter pedals on and read about the clip in issues with the Assiomas. The crank was ultimately the problem. Live and learn!
What was causing your cranks to strip? The only time I've seen that is when the left crank arm was under-torqued during installation on some HollowTech II cranks. Are you using an older BB standard? Unless there was a crash that might have affected things, I would try to figure out why the cranks were stripped.