Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fixing Tires In The Middle of Nowhere - Tubeless vs. Tubes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fixing Tires In The Middle of Nowhere - Tubeless vs. Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-20, 02:46 PM
mikecart1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilbiker
A pine needle caused a flat? That’s a first for me, didn’t think a pine needle would go through a tire, even a cheap one. Definitely need to upgrade your tires. Most importantly you need to learn how to change a flat out on the road. I can’t imagine going out and not having that skill, especially with a gravel bike where you may be miles from any any paved roads. Lean the skill and equip yourself with the right tools when you ride.
That's what the lady told me at the bike shop. Although I have since rode on the same path and can't picture a pine needle doing that. But that's what she told me LOL!

Originally Posted by aliasfox
I'm going to bet a pine needle didn't puncture your tire - unless it was made out of brass. Given that you don't have a pump, chances are you were running on low pressure and possibly pinch flatted it over a square-edged bump.

Learning how to fix a flat is a vital rite of passage for a cyclist. These days, I have a spare tube, a patch kit, and a CO2 canister in my saddle bag, and I routinely listen for leaks and bounce my tires at stoplights to confirm that I'm at adequate pressure.

As for pumping tires - almost anybody on this forum will suggest at least checking tire pressure with your thumb before every ride. I like my tire pressure in a consistent range, so I top up my tires before every ride. Some people even run latex tubes, which pretty much demand to be reinflated on a near daily basis. But even if you run standard tubes, slow leaks that take hours (or even days) to be noticeable are definitely a thing, and valves can get damaged, especially somewhat fragile presta valves. So always check.

Worst case, I think you can buy tires pretreated with Slime (a sealing compound), and you can even get plastic puncture strips to line the insides of your tires. Of course, all of that adds weight, rolling resistance, and ruins the ride, so might just be worth learning to fix your flats yourself. Besides - fixing your flat yourself = $4-8 for a tube, taking it to a shop is likely $15-20, so you win out in the long run.
I now ride with a pump, the flat kit they gave me, the saddle bag that gave me to put the flat kit in, and a spare tire in my backpack. I hate the thought of adding all this stuff to my bike because it was originally around 21lbs. Now it's a little heavier, but at least I won't be walking home. I also pump the tires before I leave too. I did 22 miles on my last ride and no issues. Had no idea bike tires go flat so fast LOL. Never had to do this on my bikes before and never pump tires in my motorcycle or cars.
Old 08-05-20, 03:26 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by mikecart1
I now ride with a pump, the flat kit they gave me, the saddle bag that gave me to put the flat kit in, and a spare tire in my backpack. I hate the thought of adding all this stuff to my bike because it was originally around 21lbs. Now it's a little heavier, but at least I won't be walking home. I also pump the tires before I leave too. I did 22 miles on my last ride and no issues. Had no idea bike tires go flat so fast LOL. Never had to do this on my bikes before and never pump tires in my motorcycle or cars.
It's not that you never needed to bring some of that gear along with you, it's that you've been lucky never to have needed it in the past. So my saddlebag (with tube, patch, and CO2 canister) adds about 1lbs to my 20lbs bike. Ya know, it would add 1lbs to a 15lbs bike too. Or a 30 lbs bike. And it'll likely be there unless there's a support car trailing me, and that's not happening in this lifetime...

Think of it this way: you've never had a flat in your car, does that mean you'll leave your spare and your jack at home?

I guess just be happy that you were 4 miles from home on pavement when it happened, and not 25 miles from home, in the woods, with no cell phone signal. Happened to a guy I saw on the road - luckily it's a common cycling route, and I had just enough signal in my phone to call him a Lyft - that's the difference between 2 bars of signal and 0 bars.
Old 08-08-20, 11:18 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Always a fun debate. Based on my experience, tubes are a lot easier to deal with than tubeless. So damned simple. And, if you flat out a tubeless tire in the middle of nowhere, it's likely you'll need to install a tube to get home. So...why bother?
Old 08-08-20, 11:39 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Always a fun debate. Based on my experience, tubes are a lot easier to deal with than tubeless. So damned simple. And, if you flat out a tubeless tire in the middle of nowhere, it's likely you'll need to install a tube to get home. So...why bother?
They're called plugs. I haven't touched a tube in over 2 years-- and in 2018 I used one tube. The sealant prevents about 95% of punctures from being a problem-- most don't even leak, and the ones that do I don't notice until I get home. The "sprayers" are the only times that require a plug, I've had two this year. The second incident was a cut so big that it effectively destroyed the tire. Two plugs held for the remaining 20 miles for me to get home.

I say with authority that if I tried to run any tire lower in puncture protection than a Gatorskin, I would have to buy both tubes and patches in bulk. I would much rather not ride a horrible tire, and I just simply don't want to spend time fixing roadside flats. So as I've said for the umpteenth time, tubeless it is.
Old 08-08-20, 12:25 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by mikecart1
Not to add to your costs, but do you have a proper sized track pump for home use? Those piddly little pocket pumps are ok to get you going if you flat, but for regularly pumping your tires, get a proper floor-standing pump. Should cost about $20-30.
Old 08-08-20, 12:32 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
They're called plugs. I haven't touched a tube in over 2 years-- and in 2018 I used one tube. The sealant prevents about 95% of punctures from being a problem-- most don't even leak, and the ones that do I don't notice until I get home. The "sprayers" are the only times that require a plug, I've had two this year. The second incident was a cut so big that it effectively destroyed the tire. Two plugs held for the remaining 20 miles for me to get home.

I say with authority that if I tried to run any tire lower in puncture protection than a Gatorskin, I would have to buy both tubes and patches in bulk. I would much rather not ride a horrible tire, and I just simply don't want to spend time fixing roadside flats. So as I've said for the umpteenth time, tubeless it is.
Not sure what kind of roads you ride on that you get that many flats, but well, so be it. What happened to me is something different, and not a simple puncture that a plug can remedy. I hit a pothole, and the bead broke. There is no way to address this on the road, so a tube it was. A plug was useless in this case. And now the tube is glued to the tire so neither can be salvaged.

I ride GP 4000s and get...maybe...two flats a year. Maybe. If tubeless works for you, have at it. Just understand that for many of us the experience is quite different.
Old 08-08-20, 12:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
And, if you flat out a tubeless tire in the middle of nowhere, it's likely you'll need to install a tube to get home. So...why bother?
Is this really not obvious? Because you're much, much less likely to flat out with a tubeless tire? In the ~15k miles that I've been running tubeless, I've needed to put in a tube twice - that's considerably less than my flat frequency pre-tubeless. Hell, prior to tubeless, I've had multiple rides where I've needed to address two unrelated flats.

If the nature of your flats is that they're rare and/or are almost always greater than ~5mm, then no - tubeless wouldn't make much sense. For many people, it's a lesser evil. A much lesser evil.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-20, 01:55 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is this really not obvious? Because you're much, much less likely to flat out with a tubeless tire? In the ~15k miles that I've been running tubeless, I've needed to put in a tube twice - that's considerably less than my flat frequency pre-tubeless. Hell, prior to tubeless, I've had multiple rides where I've needed to address two unrelated flats.

If the nature of your flats is that they're rare and/or are almost always greater than ~5mm, then no - tubeless wouldn't make much sense. For many people, it's a lesser evil. A much lesser evil.
That's my only point. Honestly, I ride with a group, a lot, and we've never experienced the frequency of flats that's being described in this thread. Anyway, this debate could go on forever and I doubt either of us would change their minds. Ride what you like....but ride!

Be safe.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 08-08-20, 02:11 PM
WhyFi

That's my only point. Honestly, I ride with a group, a lot, and we've never experienced the frequency of flats that's being described in this thread.
I ride with a group, a lot. Many of them are anti-tubeless even though they've never touched it. Most probably aren't aware that I'm even running tubeless because it never calls attention to itself. I have twiddled my thumbs many, many times while waiting for them to address their flats, yet my system is the one that sucks. Go figure.

Anyway, this debate could go on forever and I doubt either of us would change their minds. Ride what you like....but ride!

Be safe.
That's the thing: most people here that are tubeless advocates aren't trying to change anyone's mind - they're giving examples in which tubeless makes sense. It's certainly not for everybody, but when it makes sense, it makes sense.

The most vocally critical are often people that are: a) lacking in meaningful experience and b) paint with broad strokes. So when you say something like, "So... why bother?" it's a really broad statement that shows that your experience probably isn't representative of the reality that many of us live and it's literally inviting rationalization from others like me. If it doesn't work for you, that's fine - I'm cool with that. Insinuating that's it's dumb and useless is propagating ignorance, though.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-20, 02:31 PM
dmanthree

I ride with a group, a lot. Many of them are anti-tubeless even though they've never touched it. Most probably aren't aware that I'm even running tubeless because it never calls attention to itself. I have twiddled my thumbs many, many times while waiting for them to address their flats, yet my system is the one that sucks. Go figure.
I never said tubeless sucks. I only said I prefer working with tubes for the one or two flats I get per year. I'm not anti-tubless, I just go with my preferences.

One thing I have noticed is that tubeless riders seem to be very defensive about their choice. Can't understand that.
Old 08-08-20, 03:22 PM
WhyFi

I never said tubeless sucks. I only said I prefer working with tubes for the one or two flats I get per year. I'm not anti-tubless, I just go with my preferences.
I was talking about my group - context, yo. No need to be defensive.

One thing I have noticed is that tubeless riders seem to be very defensive about their choice. Can't understand that.
Like when ignorant people insinuate that it's pointless and then tubeless users respond with scenarios in which it's not pointless? Yeah, people are funny like that, sometimes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-09-20, 06:59 AM
dmanthree

I was talking about my group - context, yo. No need to be defensive.

Like when ignorant people insinuate that it's pointless and then tubeless users respond with scenarios in which it's not pointless? Yeah, people are funny like that, sometimes.
Sorry, I had no idea disagreeing would hit such a sore spot. My comment referred to*my* usage, not everyone. So please, relax and go for a ride.
Old 08-09-20, 07:15 AM
WhyFi

Sorry, I had no idea disagreeing would hit such a sore spot. My comment referred to*my* usage, not everyone. So please, relax and go for a ride.

You're having a hard time with this, aren't you? If you think that you've hit a sore spot and that I'm not relaxed, you're either projecting, giving yourself too much credit or you have a hard time interpreting tone.

I didn't respond to you disagreeing with your usage - you've never explicitly stated that you actually have any meaningful experience with tubeless - I responded to your assertion that flatting with tubeless was the same as flatting with tubes and that it was therefor pointless; that kind of ignorant statement misses the broad-side-of-the-barn mark that punctures with tubeless are much, much less likely to result in an actual flat in the first place.

And I've got 250 miles on the week already, but thanks for being concerned with my riding.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-09-20, 07:30 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Tubeless is, for the most part, an expensive fix to a largely self imposed problem. - Getting flats from running too puncture prone and fragile tyres all the time. Ppl should stop brainwashing them selves into running race day tyres to save a few watts on training/fun/group rides. Whats the point any way? Of course endless marketing and hyperbole claims that a bit of protection makes the tyres feel like frozen garden hoses with tractor like drag doesn't help either. Its not true tho.
Old 08-09-20, 07:50 AM
Racing Dan

You're having a hard time with this, aren't you? If you think that you've hit a sore spot and that I'm not relaxed, you're either projecting, giving yourself too much credit or you have a hard time interpreting tone.

I didn't respond to you disagreeing with your usage - you've never explicitly stated that you actually have any meaningful experience with tubeless - I responded to your assertion that flatting with tubeless was the same as flatting with tubes and that it was therefor pointless; that kind of ignorant statement misses the broad-side-of-the-barn mark that punctures with tubeless are much, much less likely to result in an actual flat in the first place.

And I've got 250 miles on the week already, but thanks for being concerned with my riding.
Sure, but the tubeless guys also always misses the broad-side-of-the-barn in silently assuming punctures, that causes flats, are inevitable, or cant be reduced to a trivial/negligible amount. Well, they are not, except maybe for a few select areas littered with goat heads. This silent, but fallacious, assumption permeates all tubeless vs tubed "debates" and no one the wiser. In the tubeless guys mind the argument is "the more punctures the sealant can plug, the more proof it is that tubeless is the better system". Well duhh! Isnt that opposite world? Im my mind the argument is "the less punctures I get in the first place the better".
Old 08-09-20, 07:59 AM
WhyFi

I've tried the Jedi mind trick with myself, but I just can't seem to convince myself that ****ty tires don't feel ****ty or that the punctures that happened didn't really happen. I must not be trying hard enough - I accept this as a personal shortcoming.
Old 08-09-20, 08:03 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
. In the tubeless guys mind the argument is "the more punctures the sealant can plug, the more proof it is that tubeless is the better system". Well duhh! Isnt that opposite world? Im my mind the argument is "the less punctures I get in the first place the better".
Puncture proof tires ride like crap, so there's no chance I'll use them. There are sensible training tires that ride well(Michelin Pro4 Endurance/Krylion 2 Endurance), but they still flat regularly in the SW. Using tubes and a Michelin training tire, I get about 1 or 2 flats per month(1k miles), With tubeless Schwalbe G-One Speed tires I've had 1 flat in over 18k miles, and the ride is buttery smooth.

YMMV, but there's no chance I'm going back to tubed tires.
Old 08-09-20, 08:19 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you live in a place with "actual winter" you probably won't benefit from tubeless... but there are even some exceptions to that. Here in the Land Without Seasons® (a few years ago it was 100º on Halloween) the weeds never stop growing. It's goatheads 24/7/365, and that doesn't even account for the blossoming homeless population and their penchant for whippin' glass everywhere, or the fact that the city filed for bankruptcy in 2017 (what's a street sweeper again?) Tubeless is not a solution looking for a problem. It's a solution for those of us that already have a problem.

What will forever boggle my mind are the folks who have zero issues over years and years running tubes, then just out of the blue decide to try tubeless. When it doesn't turn their bike into a maintenance-free rocketship, as it's just a tire full 'o juice...

Old 08-09-20, 08:19 AM
Racing Dan

I've tried the Jedi mind trick with myself, but I just can't seem to convince myself that ****ty tires don't feel ****ty or that the punctures that happened didn't really happen. I must not be trying hard enough - I accept this as a personal shortcoming.
Again with the hyperbole and deliberate misreading ... Great arguments tho ... :-)
Old 08-09-20, 10:11 AM
WhyFi

If you live in a place with "actual winter" you probably won't benefit from tubeless... but there are even some exceptions to that.
Oh, I have actual winter and it's because of winter that spring was always one of my worst seasons for flats. All through winter, they lay down grit for traction on ice and there's always some little sharp **** mixed in there. Because it's common to get snow through April, and because it just takes time, that stuff is usually around in to May. I obviously ride in the cleaner, tire-swept lanes as much as I can, but the stuff isn't completely avoidable.

That said, one of my good friends has been dabbling in road for the last couple years and I have to constantly try to talk him out of going tubeless. He's only 25-30 miles away from me, but he lives in the sticks, where the shoulders are more generous, there fewer streets to sweep, and debris is generally less of a problem. He's also still a low-mileage rider (~1500/yr?). He is a tri-geek at heart, though, so I think that he's looking for some watt savings even if it doesn't make much sense.
Old 08-09-20, 10:15 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
If you live in a place with "actual winter" you probably won't benefit from tubeless... but there are even some exceptions to that. Here in the Land Without Seasons® (a few years ago it was 100º on Halloween) the weeds never stop growing. It's goatheads 24/7/365, and that doesn't even account for the blossoming homeless population and their penchant for whippin' glass everywhere, or the fact that the city filed for bankruptcy in 2017 (what's a street sweeper again?) Tubeless is not a solution looking for a problem. It's a solution for those of us that already have a problem.

What will forever boggle my mind are the folks who have zero issues over years and years running tubes, then just out of the blue decide to try tubeless. When it doesn't turn their bike into a maintenance-free rocketship, as it's just a tire full 'o juice...

Similar challenges here in the desert, less tax revenues, less street cleaning. Been really bad since the July 4th weekend, can't remember a time where we've had so much glass in the road as recent.
Old 08-09-20, 11:44 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Tubeless is, for the most part, an expensive fix to a largely self imposed problem. - Getting flats from running too puncture prone and fragile tyres all the time. Ppl should stop brainwashing them selves into running race day tyres to save a few watts on training/fun/group rides. Whats the point any way? Of course endless marketing and hyperbole claims that a bit of protection makes the tyres feel like frozen garden hoses with tractor like drag doesn't help either. Its not true tho.
To me, that's the win with tubeless. I can run the highest performance tires which I really enjoy not for the speed but for the comfort and feel a supple tire provides. I get Gatorskin flat resistance with GP5000 performance. Late last winter went out and it was a couple of degrees above freezing and raining when I saw the telltale sealant oozing from my rear tire which sealed the leak. That repair alone made it all worthwhile.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 08-09-20 at 05:14 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-09-20, 09:10 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Funny, I've had the exact same experience in my group too.
Likes For NoWhammies: