Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Time to do the wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Time to do the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 12:07 AM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Time to do the wheels

Hi everyone, I have aluminum Weinmann's on my Motobecane Grand Jubilee . Both my wheels are badly in need of a full service. No loose spokes, but the wheels Are way out of true, and I think the hub needs adjusting ( rocks up-and-down ), regreasing and new bearings. I have the New bearings and grease . I have never done any wheel work on a bicycle and would love to learn from you all. What tools will I need? And what video tutorials do you like, and advice and experiences can you share. Oh, and I just bought a nice old Var spoke wrench . love beautiful old tools .

Alex
Old 08-10-20, 02:04 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
First of all, before investing much time, make sure those hubs aren't wrecked from being ridden loose. If the bearing races are OKish, overhaul them first before moving onto to truing the wheels, as you don't want significant play when truing wheels. To overhaul them you'll need cone wrenches, probably 13 and 15mm, and a 17mm wrench. If have access to a vise, an axle vise will make precise adjustment easier. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...and-adjustment is a good tutorial.

While perhaps excessive to your needs, I recommend the classic The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt as providing a good theoretical and practical overview of bicycle wheels. Park tool is also always a good reference: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...and-rim-truing . I mostly don't dig videos for mechanical work, but I looked and
isn't terrible, though far inferior from the the other two resources I mentioned.

For basic truing, you need at the minimum a well fitting spoke wrench. For really all wheels, but especially older ones, I strongly recommend a spoke wrench that engages all 4 sides of the nipple to avoid stripping. Before doing anything I'd recommend running a little bit of light oil into each nipple and at each rim eyelet to hopefully get things moving smoothly. Your work will be easier and more consistent if you have a wheel truing stand but you can do an adequate job using your brake pads as references, or a zip tie attached to a fork or seat stay. A spoke tensiometer and a dishing gauge are also recommendable if you plan on doing much wheel work.

My major tip is that, besides dimensional tolerance, the goal is to get the tension of each side of a wheel as even as possible. Without a tension meter, the best way to do this is comparing the relative pitch of plucked spokes on the same side--if you don't have good relative pitch, maybe try an instrument tuner, or invest in a tensiometer. Generally endeavor to correct deviations from true by addressing the greatest outliers in the zone maybe 2" on either side of the deviation--in most conventionally spoked wheels, a 4ish spoke area. A lot of common advise just tells you to adjust the spokes closest to the deviation, but this can lead to greater tension imbalances and can reduce your final achievable dimensional tolerance.
Old 08-10-20, 10:40 AM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I learned something already . I must make a correction of sorts . fortunately it is not my hubs that are causing the up and down movement it is that the wheels have radial buckles . which is good news . As I spin the wheels ( just tightened 3 loose spokes rear ) there is a certain amount (not a lot ) of vibration and sounds but they are stable in there respective seats . the var spoke wrench fits nicely and is older like the bike . do I still need an axle vise? And more on cone wrenches please . The bike is from 1978 . I have good relative pitch, musical too . When I squeeze the spokes together ,like in the video I have little idea of what to feel for being inexperienced.
Thanks for now .
Old 08-11-20, 07:25 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I've got a few videos relevant to your situation you may find helpful as well:

I also made a Youtube video series playlist on a 1983 Rossin road bike that might be useful if you're looking to dig deeper than just the wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmfp9gQQh4&list=PLyNdrtUfdbn2kh9jtUD1wbhgK9jl0JGMT
Old 08-12-20, 11:49 AM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
I've got a few videos relevant to your situation you may find helpful as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvP7CLE9rzc&t=1074s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A64LMXjK-Dc

I also made a Youtube video series playlist on a 1983 Rossin road bike that might be useful if you're looking to dig deeper than just the wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmfp9gQQh4&list=PLyNdrtUfdbn2kh9jtUD1wbhgK9jl0JGMT
That is really really interesting and helpful I like your approach. when I have more time I will view them in there entirety. hopefully I will find a nice old truing stand . To service the Hub of 1978 Moto, with Normandy Hubs what exact tools will I need? what size wrenches to open it up ? please
Old 08-16-20, 07:01 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexthe
That is really really interesting and helpful I like your approach. when I have more time I will view them in there entirety. hopefully I will find a nice old truing stand . To service the Hub of 1978 Moto, with Normandy Hubs what exact tools will I need? what size wrenches to open it up ? please
Generally, most front and rear hubs use cone wrenches in 13mm to 17mm sizes.