Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike already has a stripped seat post bolt

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 04:27 PM
rushncrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Only adjusted the seat about 4-5 times and the bolt is already stripped.. I have been using the right tools, the allen wrench fit perfectly until it stripped so easily..

Why do $700+ bikes still use these cheap materials on the bolts? especially a bolt that could be used and adjusted a lot? My expensive bike is now completely useless as my seat is now sitting on the frame, which is WAY TO LOW!!!

1. How do I extract this bolt? Its stuck in there good yet not tight enough to keep seat in position

2. Can I just get a bolt replacement, or do I need a new seat post clamp? where to buy either of these

Thanks
Old 12-26-15, 04:29 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Not enough information. Picture?
Old 12-26-15, 04:29 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by rushncrush
Only adjusted the seat about 4-5 times and the bolt is already stripped.. I have been using the right tools, the allen wrench fit perfectly until it stripped so easily..

Why do $700+ bikes still use these cheap materials on the bolts? especially a bolt that could be used and adjusted a lot? My expensive bike is now completely useless as my seat is now sitting on the frame, which is WAY TO LOW!!!

1. How do I extract this bolt? Its stuck in there good yet not tight enough to keep seat in position

2. Can I just get a bolt replacement, or do I need a new seat post clamp? where to buy either of these

Thanks
What bike you got? Got pics of bolt?
Old 12-26-15, 04:35 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I doubt the bolt stripped, most likely the threads in the clamp. You could go to the bike shop if that's where you bought it. If you bought it on line it may be easier to just buy a new clamp. And go from there. I am not a big fan of single bolt clamps but that's just me. You could put a helicoil in the clamp but not sure vwhat you capable of or have access too.
Old 12-26-15, 04:37 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
How is it stripped? The Allen hole is rounded? The threads are stripped or clamp threads are stipped or the bolt is actually broken into two pieces? I am assuming the hex hole is rounded. An easy-out will take it out if the hole is rounded. But usually the stripping only occurs in one direction, like for tightening. Normally removal is still possible even after the hole rounds off for tightening. Is your Allen wrench possibly rounded and that is the cause of the damage to the bolt? Also if the head of the bolt is exposed, you should be able to grab it tightly and unscrew it with a Vise Grip locking pliers. Same from the other end if the thread end of the bolt is exposed.

Finally you should consider the possibility that you were overtightening the bolt. You shouldn't need more than 6 Nm torque on the bolt to hold the saddle in place. And you should grease the bolt well before replacing it. By lowering the torque due to dry threads, you make sure that only enough torque to secure the saddle is required. That way you don't put too much stress on the hex hole.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-26-15, 04:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
If you have a separate seat collar it's a cheap and easy fix. If integrated in your frame it may be a problem.

Not enough info to say whether you have a defective part or overdid it. Agree pics would help, but ultimately your best solution is take it back to the shop.
Old 12-26-15, 07:24 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
You cranked it too tight, plain and simple.

Don't feel bad, though; it's a common error.

Seat bolts only need to be snugged; the circular force of the clamp is very effective in holding the seat post securely.

A few photos will help us suggest a fix...
Old 12-26-15, 08:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
You cranked it too tight, plain and simple.

Don't feel bad, though; it's a common error.

Seat bolts only need to be snugged; the circular force of the clamp is very effective in holding the seat post securely.

A few photos will help us suggest a fix...
I had some slippage issues with tightening at 6nm. Afraid of damaging anything (threads or clamp) added some assembly paste (for CF and alum). Helps a lot in making the tightness you're allowed, actually work.
Old 12-28-15, 10:35 AM
rmfnla

Yeah, materials do matter. I'm a steel guy so I sometimes forget the issues that come with other types of frames...
Old 12-28-15, 12:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I assume over-tightening (have done it myself.) Bikes nowadays come with lighter, more expensive alloy hardware and if you treat the bolts like steel, you will damage them---or damage whatever they screw into. Hopefully the bolt can be extracted and replaced, and the frame is not damaged.
Old 12-28-15, 01:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by rushncrush
If the collar is integrated with the seat tube and you stripped the hole in the bolt then use a Dremel to grind a slot into the head of the bolt and use a large flat tipped screwdriver to remove the bolt.

If you stripped the threads on the fastener then you are going to have to drill it out.
Old 12-28-15, 10:15 PM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try using the tightest Torx bit you can tap in the bolt head if the hex key just spins. Failing that, there are extraction tools you can also try/buy.
Old 12-28-15, 10:51 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Still no picture or better description of issue, was it fixed?
Old 12-29-15, 12:49 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Worst case scenario, you drill out the bolt and replace the seatpost clamp. This is not that difficult.

Old 12-29-15, 12:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
While the OP describes it as stripped -- implying threads -- I suspect he's referring to a rounded hex socket because he mentions using the right tools. If so, it's a relatively simple matter of removing the bolt by one of a number o methods and replacing it. Worst case, if he has a removable collar, would be replacing the whole collar.

No a serious crisis either way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-29-15, 07:04 AM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
While the OP describes it as stripped -- implying threads -- I suspect he's referring to a rounded hex socket because he mentions using the right tools. If so, it's a relatively simple matter of removing the bolt by one of a number o methods and replacing it. Worst case, if he has a removable collar, would be replacing the whole collar.

No a serious crisis either way.
I read his post the same. Camed/ rounded out socket head on the seat post bolt. Easy fix is as previously posted is to hammer tap in a snug fit Torx and back the bolt out. Another trick is to take the next size up allan key and grind the sides down a little at a time until it can be jammed into the socket. (I have a whole set of "oversize" allan bits just for this) Valve grinding paste has an odd but handy side effect. A little dab on a socket head or phillips head screw can increase the friction enough to allow removal before it cams out.

Another trick for split ring type seat post collars with camed out bolts is to compress the collar a bit with a padded C clamp placed on the sides and pressing the split together. Gently and carefully increase the pressure and keep testing the bolt. This will lower the torque required. If you can see the bolt in the split in the collar you can take a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut the bolt. Cut on the bolt head side so there is a stump you can grab on the threaded side.

Cheap tools are more likely to be loose than snug fit and loose socket head tools suck. A lot of allan keys are slightly tapered at the end. You can grind the tip down a bit and the fit tighter and bite a bit better. Don't let the metal heat as you remove metal. Grind a little and dip the tip in some water then grind off a little more.
Old 12-29-15, 08:41 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
I like these threads. Somebody posts a question. Then multiple responses ask questions or seek more information to help. Except the OP doesn't have the courtesy to respond. I understand people get busy but why ask if you know you don't have time to get back? It's been three days.
Old 12-29-15, 09:02 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Old 12-29-15, 09:59 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, materials do matter. I'm a steel guy so I sometimes forget the issues that come with other types of frames...
And this is helpful?
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I like these threads. Somebody posts a question. Then multiple responses ask questions or seek more information to help. Except the OP doesn't have the courtesy to respond. I understand people get busy but why ask if you know you don't have time to get back? It's been three days.
This is always curious, isn't it?

Originally Posted by TimothyH
That is actually awesome. I have never thought of that. If you do not have the right tools handy a little improvisation goes a long way. I had this happen at my office the other day and did not have access to much in the way of tools. I did have a dremel but did not think of this. I had to use vice grips and it took forever.
Old 12-29-15, 12:11 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by Shuffleman
And this is helpful?
It's called conversation.

Posting on the Road Cycling forum doesn't mean you have to be a dick...
Old 12-29-15, 12:13 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by Shuffleman
That is actually awesome. I have never thought of that. If you do not have the right tools handy a little improvisation goes a long way. I had this happen at my office the other day and did not have access to much in the way of tools. I did have a dremel but did not think of this. I had to use vice grips and it took forever.
This is a basic repair technique, can also be done with a hacksaw.

Instead of being a dick you might want to cultivate friendships with those of us who can teach you something...
Old 12-29-15, 12:19 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
dick...
dick
Helpful!
Old 12-29-15, 01:56 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
It is usually an angry poster. That is what I have noticed.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-29-15, 02:00 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a basic repair technique, can also be done with a hacksaw.

Instead of being a dick you might want to cultivate friendships with those of us who can teach you something...
The proper term would be Richard Head, but getting into name calling on a message forum is quite silly. Helpful is helpful. Your post essentially read---You should have bought steel like I do..... You may not have intended that to be the case but that is how I read it. If that makes me the adjective that you described, than so be it.
Old 12-29-15, 02:13 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Helpful!
Why are we talking about my favorite food?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.