Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stationary Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stationary Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-17, 08:35 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Let's just put some numbers to this: a ride at 100 watts average, for one hour, will burn .1lbs of fat. This assumes a 24% efficiency factor, which is regarded as a reasonable estimate. It doesn't matter what kind of bike you have. So if your stationary bike can read watts accurately, you can basically use this to lose weight at that rate, all other intake remaining constant.

Let's say that you can actually push 200 watts, which can be difficult for someone out of shape, and do that 5 days in a week. Do the math, but that will have burned one pound of fat from your body. Do that for a few months and you will see your weight go down, and you'll be in better shape than when you started.

And if you can't measure power, get a HR monitor, speed and cadence sensor for cheap, and use one of the free apps on your phone. Average HR is a decent proxy for watts and can be converted to calories. It isn't precise but studies have shown that the correlation is strong. And you don't need to convert these numbers, the apps will do it for you.

As for spin classes, I watched one from Peloton and was totally turned off. I felt much better off using workouts on Zwift or The Sufferfest. I don't care about looking good on the bike, I just care about getting in shape and losing weight. 25 pounds since September, and my numbers all match up. 95000 calories, divided by 3700 calories per pound of fat = 25.xxx My calories are all based on HR since I don't have a power meter yet (on order!!!). And with that I didn't stop eating, just watched what I did in excess. I still drink beer, wine and liquor, but don't have ice cream or eat other sweets, not that I ate much to being with.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter how you do the exercise, but you have to do something, and it needs to be more than you may think. And in the end it will work.

Edit: One thing I've noted during my rides is that until HR goes up, the calories on my bike computer don't go anywhere, which is consistent with what I said above, except that I'm riding at about 100 watts. I can ride at that estimated 100 watts all day and barely feel it, nor get my HR up. One metric or the other is not correct. At 200 watts estimated (based on the trainer type) my HR starts going up, and at 250 watts, it gets up to around 150. All I'm really saying here is that the correlation between watts displayed and HR doesn't seem quite right in MY setup. At the end of the ride, the averages all work out.

Last edited by zacster; 12-26-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-27-17, 04:08 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by learning2ride
I workout at lifetime fitness and use the stationary bike(that has wattage meter) to do some indoor training due to the weather. I was told that I'm wasting time on that bike and wont see any benefits. I was told rollers and trainers offer waaaaay more benefit.

Here are my benefits:
anytime you can spin your legs is a positive
I can crank up the tension and work on power
I can do intervals

Disadvantages
you are not fitted for the stationary bike
the trainer or rollers allow u to use your bike which is fitted for you.
you are not in the wind
you don't use your core since bike is stationary

My main focus is overall cardio and increasing leg strength and power with the weights and stationary bike.

what are your thoughts?
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Riding outside > Rollers > trainers > stationary >>> sitting on the couch.

It is what it is.
IMO

Riding outside > Rollers (if you can do them) > Trainers > Spin Bikes (different from stationary bikes) > Good quality stationary bikes > Poor quality stationary bikes > Sitting on the couch.
Old 12-27-17, 12:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
IMO

Riding outside > Rollers (if you can do them) > Trainers > Spin Bikes (different from stationary bikes) > Good quality stationary bikes > Poor quality stationary bikes > Sitting on the couch.
Have you made a mistake there? I can't figure what kind of distinction you're making between spin and stationary bikes which makes either less beneficial than turbo trainers...or maybe you mean that's your ranking of how they appeal to you? Even still, why do you feel a spin bike is better than a stationary, and what's the distinction you're making between the two?
Old 12-27-17, 06:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by chaadster
Have you made a mistake there? I can't figure what kind of distinction you're making between spin and stationary bikes which makes either less beneficial than turbo trainers...or maybe you mean that's your ranking of how they appeal to you? Even still, why do you feel a spin bike is better than a stationary, and what's the distinction you're making between the two?

Have you ridden a spin bike? It's completely different from a stationary bike.
Old 12-27-17, 07:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

I have. Can you address the questions I raised to you?
Old 12-27-17, 08:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I have. Can you address the questions I raised to you?
If you have, then you fully understand the difference between the two.
Old 12-27-17, 09:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

If you have, then you fully understand the difference between the two.
I do, but that wasn’t my question to you. Can you address my questions, or do you not understand what I’m asking?
Old 12-28-17, 12:15 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Over the past week, I've ridden 80 road miles, enjoying the muted colors and contrast of a sun that barey rises and then disappears too soon, done three rides on the smart trainer feeding video of routes that I have actually ridden in real life, and spent an hour on the stationary recumbant that I bought to rehab from a broken hip four years ago.

All good in their own way.
Old 12-28-17, 04:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I do, but that wasn’t my question to you. Can you address my questions, or do you not understand what I’m asking?
I did answer your questions.

So glad we cleared that up.
Old 12-28-17, 08:29 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I did answer your questions.

So glad we cleared that up.
That’s a silly thing to say, but I see you don’t want to explain or examine your posted opinions, which while a strange position to take on a discussion board, is your prerogative.
Old 12-28-17, 02:59 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
maybe you mean that a stationary bike is this...

and you probably mean a 'spin bike' machine is this???.....

Old 12-29-17, 12:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Duo
maybe you mean that a stationary bike is this...

and you probably mean a 'spin bike' machine is this???.....

No. Absolutely not.

I'm talking about a Spin Bike.
Old 12-29-17, 05:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

IMO

Rollers

Trainers

Spin Bike

Good Quality Stationary Bike ... and the site linked below actually shows several stationary bikes (upright exercise bikes) and several spin bikes. Click the photo to access the site I'm referring to.

Lesser Quality Stationary Bike

Sofa
Old 12-29-17, 05:39 AM
Duo
Banned.

the sofa looks nice. the stationary and spin bike look about like the same thing, both would seem to do the job, however i am not up to date on what all the differences are.
Old 12-29-17, 06:19 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
the sofa looks nice. the stationary and spin bike look about like the same thing, both would seem to do the job, however i am not up to date on what all the differences are.
From what I read after doing a quick search, stationary bikes allow you to coast between efforts whereas spin bikes don't allow coasting---i.e., if the flywheel is moving, the pedals are moving. Some people might prefer the feel of one of the two types, but it's unlikely that there's a significant benefit for either.
Old 12-29-17, 06:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Duo
The stationary bike and spin bike are quite different. It's hard to explain. Go to a spinning class and you'll see. Basically the spin bike has a flywheel and is, essentially, a fixed gear. It also has a set up much more like a real bicycle. Just generally, it is so much more realistic.

If you get into a good spinning class, you'll have a great workout! We go to one about once a week in the winter. Of course, it does depend what you put into it.

Having used both ... the spin bike is just so much better.
Old 12-29-17, 08:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

As a cyclist, it’s much smarter to simply understand that “spin bikes” are exactly as they appear, namely that they are stationary bikes.

For what we call “spinning,” stationary bikes with heavy flywheels, brake pad resistance, and fixed gearing are preferred.

Some other stationary bikes have lighter flywheels and freewheel (i.e. allow coasting), or different resistance methods, such as air (fan units).

Additionally, stationary bikes vary in terms of setups (e.g. bar shapes) and features (e.g. infinite resistance adjustment, power).

For road cycling training, I think the ideal stationary bikes have the following:

— micro-adjust set up like a road bike for rider position (drop bars with hoods)
— freewheel for realistic feel, feedback, speed adjustment, and true-to-life workouts
— offer resistance fine tuning across an infinite range for optimizing output for workouts
— have an accurate power meter
— accommodate sensors for cadence and speed, or have them integrated with a head unit for display and recording ride data
— are electronically controllable for resistance (FE-C enabled)

Despite upthread assertions to the contrary, there is not necesarilly any functional difference between equivalently capable stationary bikes and trainers/“turbos”. All of the features I just described for an ideal stationary bike can be had using a trainer (specifically a “smart” trainer). Stationaries offer the advantages of being a dedicated piece of equipment, but are not functionally any different, nor more or less suited in terms of training capability, than trainers.

Of course, not everyone needs real cycling-specific indoor cycling, and for those just looking for general aerobic workouts can take advantage of any type of stationary bike (incl. “exercise bikes”), trainer, or rollers.

For reference-grade stationary bikes for cycling-specific training, see CycleOps Phantom and Stages SC series. Reference grade trainers for cycling specific training include Wahoo Kickr and Tacx Neos.
Old 12-30-17, 09:34 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
^ see also the Wattbike Atom stationary bike / smart indoor bike trainer
Old 12-30-17, 08:53 PM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like rollers

FWIW - I've put maybe 1500 miles on my rollers the last 2 winters and say I think they give a pretty good workout. Using a heart monitor I can watch my zone training while watching my fav show - One "danger" to look out for though, just today I was on rollers in the spare room and I was watching a YouTube vid of "not lost in Africa" Mountain biking in Kenya. GoPro footage made me the 3rd guy back on single track. It was so realistic that I swerved to avoid a boulder and..... rode ride off the rollers. no harm done but I was startled.

I like the YMCA spin machines that have class with HR and power. Don't care much care for my my older MAG magnetic resistance trainer.

My 2 cents anyway -
t
Old 12-31-17, 02:14 PM
Duo
Banned.

Some other stationary bikes have lighter flywheels and freewheel (i.e. allow coasting), or different resistance methods, such as air (fan units).

For road cycling training, I think the ideal stationary bikes have the following:

Of course, not everyone needs real cycling-specific indoor cycling, and for those just looking for general aerobic workouts can take advantage of any type of stationary bike (incl. “exercise bikes”), trainer, or rollers.
my ancient Schwinn Air Dyne allows coasting. above the fan wheel are bars to rest your feet, and then you can do the upper body rowing workout instead.

the 'ideal stationary' bike gives me an upper body workout; again the Schwinn Air Dyne has that firmly in place.

'looking for general aerobic workouts' that would be us, we didn't care much about all the high tech stuff: just basic upper/lower workout. yesterday i looked at the bicycle ads on craigslist and facebook, lots of old machines under 100 bucks and some were free.

It also has a set up much more like a real bicycle. Just generally, it is so much more realistic.

Having used both ... the spin bike is just so much better.
realistic? could be, but these machines are lackluster, better off watching some video, reading or listening to music. can't wait till spring when Reality hits and the Real Bicycle hits the road.

Last edited by Duo; 12-31-17 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 06:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Duo
my ancient Schwinn Air Dyne allows coasting. above the fan wheel are bars to rest your feet, and then you can do the upper body rowing workout instead.

the 'ideal stationary' bike gives me an upper body workout; again the Schwinn Air Dyne has that firmly in place.

'looking for general aerobic workouts' that would be us, we didn't care much about all the high tech stuff: just basic upper/lower workout. yesterday i looked at the bicycle ads on craigslist and facebook, lots of old machines under 100 bucks and some were free.

realistic? could be, but these machines are lackluster, better off watching some video, reading or listening to music. can't wait till spring when Reality hits and the Real Bicycle hits the road.

Take a spinning class at your local gym. A good spinning class is anything but lackluster. Put some effort into it, and you'll see some good results come spring.

Then whilst you are at the gym, pay the rowing machine a visit. Maybe the weights too.
Old 01-01-18, 11:52 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The last three posts just reminded me why I got into cycling in the first place: I hadn't had a bike in decades, and while at the gym one day, to warm up had taken a seat at one of the stationary bikes that showed videos of simulated rides in France. As I sat there watching the scenery go by on the little screen, I couldn't help but think: this is most unsatisfactory, I must have a real bike. I've tried it a couple of times since, but watching scenes go by while pedaling a stationary bike drives me nuts - I keep finding things wrong with the view - the worst is how the bike position is all wrong on corners and hills, and I can't swerve. If I ride a stationary bike to warm up at the gym these days, I just take one where I can watch the news instead.
Old 01-06-18, 03:37 AM
janejskelton
janejskelton

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as far as I know, exercise bike have lots of advantages, just little bit disadvantages.here is some advantages of exercise bike

1.A stationary bike is good for your heart.
2.good for lungs and breathing capacity
3.the stationary bike to gain muscles and strengthen your legs
4.the stationary bike to lose weight
5.the stationary bike reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes
6.the stationary bike can make you feel good with the secretion of endorphins
7.the stationary bike :a gentle sport for your joints.
8.cycling on your stationary bike can lower your cholesterol.
9.the stationary bike : an effective prevention against degenerative diseases like Alzheimers and Parkinsons
10. the exercise bike is good for your health and to live longer

there are just little disadvantages of exercise bike.its not effect on your body.
Old 01-06-18, 03:47 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by janejskelton
as far as I know, exercise bike have lots of advantages, just little bit disadvantages.here is some advantages of exercise bike

1.A stationary bike is good for your heart.
2.good for lungs and breathing capacity
3.the stationary bike to gain muscles and strengthen your legs
4.the stationary bike to lose weight
5.the stationary bike reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes
6.the stationary bike can make you feel good with the secretion of endorphins
7.the stationary bike :a gentle sport for your joints.
8.cycling on your stationary bike can lower your cholesterol.
9.the stationary bike : an effective prevention against degenerative diseases like Alzheimers and Parkinsons
10. the exercise bike is good for your health and to live longer

there are just little disadvantages of exercise bike.its not effect on your body.
How many more posts do you need before you can post your links?
Old 08-07-20, 07:19 PM
paulmalva

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Athens80
^ see also the Wattbike Atom stationary bike / smart indoor bike trainer
This bike is the reason I am still sane after all this lock down. It has tons of features and is really stable.
Maybe the looks are not for everyone but it works for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.