Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Calorie intake during ride

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 12:13 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts

How long can you ride without calorie intake? Only drinking water.
Old 01-22-18, 12:23 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hard to say. Flat, hilly or steep?

I can probably hit about 50 miles or so without eating anything. Maybe further, but I like to force myself to stop and eat a few calories every 50 miles or so.

Hit 150 to 200 miles or so, and I'm eating everything in sight.

I have noticed that on the more challenging hilly courses, stopping and eating something can truly give one a boost of energy to continue to hit the hills.
Old 01-22-18, 01:15 AM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
100k on the weekend after breakfast. Have gone 160k in the past just to see if I could.
Old 01-22-18, 01:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Theoretically ... it depends what you've eaten before the ride, but let's say that a person who has been eating normally (not in deficit) had about 2000 calories in storage in liver and muscles, and let's say that the person ate 500 calories before setting off on the ride.

Theoretically, that person should be able to ride about 5 hours.

But reality is sometimes different from theory.
Old 01-22-18, 02:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
How far I can go without eating and how far I should go without eating are two very different numbers. It varies widely from day to day. For a typical 30 miler in moderate temperatures, I might not even drink. I've eaten nothing on decently paced 70-80 mile rides. But if I leave the house intending to get to the century mark, I'm generally eating at fixed intervals because I know I'm going to run out of reserves.
Old 01-22-18, 02:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Differs for most of us, depending on our fitness level, health factors (diabetes, for example), etc. There are fewer differences for elite level athletes, but that ain't most of us.

As I've become fitter and lost a bit of weight, from 175 lbs in 2015 when I resumed cycling to 160 now, I've been able to go longer without eating. I don't often stop at fast food joints for lunch on rides shorter than a metric or full century. I carry a couple of energy bars.

Problem with energy bars can be the ingredients, for some folks. I'm lactose intolerant (except for yogurt, oddly enough). And legume based protein makes me gassy. So I have to avoid certain energy and protein bars during a ride, or I'll be turbo charged and a smog hazard to any cyclist unfortunate enough to be in my wake.

If I eat too much on a long ride I slog home feeling burpy. Did that on my last century. Stopped at the 70 mile mark to join some friends for dinner at a German restaurant. Ate way too much heavy food and three delicious German beers. Then I was a foam machine for the last 30 miles home.

So now on rides up to 40-50 miles I just carry a tube of glucose tabs, the kind sold in pharmacies for diabetics. I've had occasional problems with hypoglycemia since childhood so I know the drill and symptoms. But if I eat properly the night before and about an hour before a ride, I'm good. My usual pre-ride meal, day or night, is a bowl of oatmeal with yogurt and a banana. That's good for a few hours.

Candy would probably do as well. Chocolate is nature's finest energy bar and health food. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. But chocolate makes a huge mess so I quit carrying it on rides. Glucose tabs in those plastic tubes are neat, clean and fit in a jersey pocket or saddlebag.

Saturday I rode a hard 40 miles with hill repeats into the wind and hard sprints with the 15 mph tailwind. It was mostly a conditioning ride, not casual cruising. I felt a bit bonkish after 30 miles so I chewed a couple of glucose tabs. That was good enough to get home. Then I was ravenous and ate everything in the house. Good way to get rid of those leftovers.

Water is critical too, especially for folks prone to blood sugar imbalances, thyroid conditions (which I also have) and anything that can disturb our normal temperature regulation including some prescription meds. Ditto, electrolytes for me, although some folks don't need it.
Old 01-22-18, 06:02 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I've gone 3.5 hrs (65miles) in recent months without actively eating during a ride. I routinely ride indoors up to 2hrs and never eat and many times I workout with just having had my morning latte (or 2 or 3 lol). Just as an example of workouts I've done recently, Saturday I did 2hrs with 4x20min intervals near FTP and yesterday was 2hrs with 3x30mins at 85% of FTP, each about 1500 calories worth of work. I haven't done a lot over threshold in a while so if I can't speak to how that affects me.
Old 01-22-18, 07:07 AM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Used to ride 3 hours straight without food and water (Yeah, no water!)

Its night time so its chill and silent so I decided . . . . (that's why I can manage to ride without water, its chill out there)

Just some crazy ride, not recommend, obviously nuts.

How I feel? last couple miles I felt a little drag, bit extra craving for sugar (or salt? I am not sure) but nothing special.

Of course, I eat like crazy after that lol (actually I just want to reward myself after crazy ride).

What I eat before ride? just black coffee, wait a bit and then I go.
Old 01-22-18, 10:28 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Rule of thumb is if I'm planning 3 hours or less, I don't need food. Can push that to about 5 hours, but prefer not to.

Peanut M&Ms work really well on the bike, and on skis too.
Old 01-22-18, 01:28 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
How long can you ride without calorie intake? Only drinking water.
At least 4-5 hours, although on 5 hour rides I like to eat an energy bar after 4 hours because I'm getting hungry and beyond five hours eat a Clif bar every 20-25 miles because back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest running out of glycogen is likely and I don't feel like dealing with that far from home. Around 100-140 miles I'm getting tired of sweet energy bars and want a little real food for variety - a chicken drumstick, sushi roll, 1/4 pound of Chinese food; but not much because two drum sticks gave me a bellyache for hours.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-23-18 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 01:34 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Theoretically ... it depends what you've eaten before the ride, but let's say that a person who has been eating normally (not in deficit) had about 2000 calories in storage in liver and muscles, and let's say that the person ate 500 calories before setting off on the ride.
It's more complicated than that.

You can't even move muscle glycogen between different fibers in the same muscle.

Conversely, a lot of your energy comes from body fat. As ride duration increases thus decreasing the maximum sustainable pace to your aerobic threshold, your energy substrate utilization shifts to fat. On 5 hour rides you can be at 60-80% fat.
Old 01-22-18, 08:33 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Personally, when properly fueled beforehand, about 2 hrs of hard riding before starting to feel hungry. I can go longer, but performance begins to drop after that. Even on a 2 hrs ride, I usually carry one bottle of drink mix (Infinit Go Far). I see no advantage in draining the tank to zero.
Old 01-22-18, 09:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Wow I didn’t expect the times to be that long. 2 hrs or less I won’t eat but more than 2 hours I will have a cliff bar or some crackers at the 90 minute mark. When I rode Katy Trail last summer I would have some energy drink or food every hour since I was basically touring having an adventure. I didn’t want to get tired, my longest day on the Katy was 96 miles with regular refuels every hour.
Old 01-22-18, 09:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The Katy always had somewhat more rolling resistance than bare pavement. 20%?

Anyway, that has to be factored in too.
Old 01-22-18, 09:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I’ve dome 2 hours fasted from the night before.
Old 01-23-18, 01:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Wow I didn’t expect the times to be that long. 2 hrs or less I won’t eat but more than 2 hours I will have a cliff bar or some crackers at the 90 minute mark. When I rode Katy Trail last summer I would have some energy drink or food every hour since I was basically touring having an adventure. I didn’t want to get tired, my longest day on the Katy was 96 miles with regular refuels every hour.
The general recommendation is something like ...

Under 2 hours -- no food needed, but you might want to bring a granola bar just in case.

2-4 hours -- aim for about 100 cal/hour, but it is good to have a little bit extra on board.

4+ hours -- aim for about 200 cal/hour. And if the ride goes over about 8 hours, you might want to have something that resembles a meal somewhere in the middle.

This is not set in stone, of course, and will depend on a number of factors including weather, fitness level, etc. But if you're unsure, this should get you through a long ride.
Old 01-23-18, 05:52 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I hiked the Appalachian Trail (AT) in 2006 and my biggest lesson on that hike is that I learned just how efficient the body is, or can be...

On a hike you must ration your food, simply because you can only carry so much and there's not a store at every corner, unlike a bike tour. In the beginning I do remember being grouchy and experiencing times where I felt very weak and light headed, but over time my body changed in incredible ways, it became extremely efficient at burning fat as fuel.

Long story short, I now keep my body as a fat-burning machine, by not eating in the morning and going on a long, hard ride and doing some stuff at the gym.

And then I saw this article and was surprised that it's basically how I train; however, the article probably wouldn't have caught my attention without the experienced I gained on my AT hike, because knowing and experiencing are two very different things.

It's tough in the beginning, you will feel weak, foggy-headed, and grouchy, but once you cross over to the other side it's an incredible feeling.

Excellent article!!

How To Tap Into Fat For Fuel | Triathlete.com

A good friend of mine once finished a six-hour ride in the mountains on nothing but pure water. No gels, no energy drinks—just water. And he was not out on a Sunday ride—he was hammering, riding hard on the ascents and flying down the descents. Can you do that? Or are you already thinking of how many gels and bars you would need to drag along for the ride?

Read more at How To Tap Into Fat For Fuel | Triathlete.com
Old 01-23-18, 08:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^ congratulations on the AT hike and thanks for that article. It is very interesting.

-Tim-