Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Visiting Twin Cities - looking for rides

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 03-07-19, 08:46 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are good, scenic, safe routes to ride in the twin cities? any specific greenways? any particular shops to ride with? any shops do weekday rides? any rides further away that's worth the drive? let me know, thanks.
Old 03-07-19, 09:29 PM
Ratman6161

Bikes: So

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
What are good, scenic, safe routes to ride in the twin cities? any specific greenways? any particular shops to ride with? any shops do weekday rides? any rides further away that's worth the drive? let me know, thanks.
i can't tell you much about the twin cities specifically as I work there but don't live or ride there. But I know if you get out to more rural areas of MN, most of the state and larger county roads have nice wide paved shoulders. The state also has quite a few paved rail bed trails that are quite nice.,,if you are willing to get out of the cities.
Old 03-08-19, 04:16 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Depending on your level of riding, there are a couple shops which lead rides .

Contact Dan Casebeer at Grand Performance in St Paul for a lead....................
Old 03-08-19, 05:37 AM
ober27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.bikeverywhere.com/twin-cities-bike-map/

This map is a great resource, well worth the price. There are a lot of great trails in the Twin Cities, I would look into riding any of trails near the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers.
Old 03-12-19, 07:09 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Take a look at google-maps with 'bicycling' turned on or search ridewithgps.com for routes in the twin cities..you'll find lots of options.

Or look at traillink.com..looks like there's plenty to sift through.

Old 03-14-19, 09:35 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'd definitely check out Twin Cities Bicycling Club - they put on a lot of rides (which, I believe, are open to non-members.)

If you'll be around for a while and want scenic and hilly, c'mon down to La Crosse, WI. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive or so, but there's plenty of good routes (road and gravel with little traffic) and fairly regular group rides. The Root River Trail might be a bit closer, and also worth checking out.
Old 06-13-19, 01:28 PM
MNwj48

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban 1974

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Google Maps is useful, and will show you bicycle routes to use to get from point A to point B, but it does not distinguish those bicycle routes that are road shoulders, from sidewalks, from dedicated routes.

Some good bicycle routes in Mpls. that are off the roads.
Starting at Wirth park (has parking) and there is a bicycle shop where you can rent a big-tired bicycle, and get maps.
There are numerous dirt paths at Wirth park.

Starting at the new chalet:
Paved route, going West through the woods, underpass at Hwy 100, along railroad tracks through Golden Valley to points West (I have never reached the end of this trail).
At the end you can circle Medicine Lake (a big lake, and a bit hilly), or visit Parker Lake (a small lake).
This connects to the Luce line, which I have not seen open yet, but disappears off into the far countryside.

Paved route, going south, leads to Cedar Lake.

Starting at the old chalet parking lot:
Paved route, starts out going east, but circles behind Wirth lake, along Basset creek, along the railroad tracks, lost in the woods, underpass at the Hwy, leads to the south half of Wirth Park, where there are beach and volleyball courts. There are no lights and it is pitch black at night so either have a good headlight, or take the other route at night.

Cedar Lake:
The North Cedar Lake trail, goes east and west, along an old railway right-of-way, flat, very few road crossings, underpasses at hwys..
East is somewhat hampered by being blocked off for the light rail construction.
West goes out to Hopkins where it eventually meets two other trails, the Cedar Lake trail (Hopkins to Lake of the Isles, which is being blocked off in sections for LRT construction), and the Minnesota River Bluffs LRT regional trail (going SouthWest for about 9 miles), which goes past the Hopkins train station (and museum) and after about a mile becomes a dirt (and rock) trail.
If you get off the trail for any reason, remember where you did, because it is an old railway, there are only a few ways to access it, and you will have to go back to the same spot to get back on for a return trip. Coming at it from odd directions will not work.
This connects to several other trails, many of them are sidewalks along side busy streets. Avoid those at night because the headlight glare will make it difficult.

Each of the Lakes has a trail around it, and they are all interconnected. These are all off the road, dedicated, separated from walkers. Some of them are one way, CLOCKWISE ONLY.

The Minnehaha trail: I start at Wirth park, go south to Cedar Lake, go south to Lake of the Isles south end, get on the elevated trail along the old railway heading East, leading to the Midtown Greenway, 7 miles to the West River Road along the Mississippi. Go south along the West River Road trail to Minnehaha Park (see Minnehaha falls).
From Minnehaha Park, take the Minnehaha trail back West. This follows Minnehaha creek along the lakes on dedicated trails. There are several streets that must be crossed at intersections with the lights. Leads back through Lake Hiawatha, Lake Nokomis, Lake Harriet, and Lake Bde Maka Ska parks, back to Lake of the Isles and Cedar Lake.
For me this is a 5 hour round trip (on a 1974 Schwinn Suburban), but I stop off a few times along the way.

Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center:
Start at the Hennepin County library in Brooklyn Center. Behind the library is the regional trail. Head north, use the bridge over Hwy 694, leading to the park at Palmer Lake, circle it to the east side if you like the woods, but beware which path you exit going North. The Shingle creek route is much farther west than you may expect.
The Shingle creek regional trail in Brooklyn Park, has some very nice trails through the woods. They don't mark the trails so you need a compass, you will get lost, probably several times.
The trail leading north is just a sidewalk along side a wide road, but it leads to the Coon Rapids Dam, which has more bicycle trails.
However it is a long ride alongside the road, and the north end is on some paths that have not been repaired in 20 years.
Coming back, you can take the West River road. At the north end it is nice, but in the middle part is a sidewalk that runs for 5 miles alongside houses. Get back on the West side of Hwy 252 when you can at a street light, because that is the only way across. Otherwise you end up in a dead-end wondering where you went wrong, and have to back-track up a hill.
Old 07-20-19, 08:44 PM
bonked_fred

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
Hennepin county puts out a bike map you can access if you google "hennepin county bike map," i cant post links.

If you download an arcgis app you can look at it on your phone (arcgis explorer for example of app)

Originally Posted by MNwj48

Paved route, going West through the woods, underpass at Hwy 100, along railroad tracks through Golden Valley to points West (I have never reached the end of this trail).
At the end you can circle Medicine Lake (a big lake, and a bit hilly), or visit Parker Lake (a small lake).
This connects to the Luce line, which I have not seen open yet, but disappears off into the far countryside.
That specific bike path has a a fairly large pond that i don't recommend trying to cross.

EDIT: I need to look at the dates for these threads
Old 07-20-19, 09:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Google the Minneapolis Grand Round. Great trail system.

One of my personal favs is in maple grove. Its a big recreation area with a good paved trail
Old 07-24-19, 12:58 AM
MNwj48

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure where the pond on the Luce line is at.
It tried to explore the west end of the Luce Line on Monday and got blocked at the Hwy 494 tunnel, by new asphalt.
They are re-paving the Luce Line trail. There are barriers west of Hwy 494.
Starting July 29, they are re-paving the Luce Line east of Hwy 494, up to St. Louis Park. Little signs everywhere.

With so much rain lately, I keep running into water everywhere.
Minnehaha creek has taken over the Minnehaha trail at a low spot east of Hwy 35W.
Long enough and deep enough that you cannot just ride through.
It has a warning that the trail is closed, and in this case it is effective.
If you go down near the creek, you will have to back-track for a couple blocks when you reach the water.

Last edited by MNwj48; 07-24-19 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 01:11 PM
esteward

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info here. Thanks for Sharing!
Old 09-10-19, 10:51 AM
MNwj48

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cedar Lake trail is closed where it crosses Hwy 100, near-by the Nordic-Ware plant. This is where the light-rail project is storing their rail. Each piece of rail looks to be a 1/4 mile long.
There is a detour, but it is badly marked and it is easier to just head two blocks south to get across Hwy 100 at the Target store.
A road one block south looks promising but is just a dead end at an Industrial park.
Trying to go around to the north will take you across a bridge to the north side of Hwy 7.

Beware some high curbs on Golden-Valley road near Wirth parkway. I am currently healing after being dumped by a pedal catching on the curb.
I had seen a pizza box laying in the path and swerved around it towards the curb.
I was standing on the pedals as it is an uphill climb there.
When the pedal caught on the curb, the bicycle turned horizontal under me in an instant, and gravity did the rest.
A bunch of scrapes, and one huge bruise (from landing on a pedal I think).
My dinger got smashed (on the handlebar, work it with your thumb, goes DING, not as fancy as those bells), so now I have to figure out where it got it in the first place.

Last edited by MNwj48; 09-10-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 07:01 AM
MNwj48

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water warning:
The bike trail through Wirth Park is under water just west of the Wirth Park new Chalet (it goes west from the new Chalet into Golden Valley).
I could see the other side and thought I could make it, but it is deeper than it looks.
Got my shoes soaked. Even taking them off the pedals each time a pedal went under water did not save them.

It is a short stretch, so take your SHOES and SOCKS OFF before trying to cross it. You can put them back on, on the other side.
Saves you from squishing as you pedal.
Even people with baby carriages are crossing it using this technique.

We will have to just hope that the water recedes a bit before it starts forming ice. Only got a couple months.

Last edited by MNwj48; 09-11-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-18-19, 10:33 PM
MNwj48

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a day trip Wirth Park to Baker Park.
Left Wirth Park around 1 PM, arrived Baker Park around 5 PM, got back to Wirth Park around 8:30 PM.
I now have some new and improved information on the Luce Line trail.

------------
Luce line Regional trail:
Wirth park (Wirth Pkwy, Golden Valley) to Parkers Lake park (Vicksburg Ln, Plymouth).
New asphalt.
Wanders about some.

Through Wirth park, it is alongside a railway line, in the woods, and water.
Right now, you may have to take your shoes off to wade a 50 meter section.
It stays with the railway until it reaches Douglas Drive. It follows Douglas Drive, in a radical jog to the south, to get around
the golf course.
The trail wanders around downtown Golden Valley on sidewalk trails, along the golf course, and one section alongside the tracks.
At Hwy 169 it crosses under the bridge using the intersection (street lights).
Must also cross to the north side of the street to reach the off-road paved trail, West to Medicine Lake.
At the Medicine Lake map it joins with the Medicine Lake trails.
Go south, across the street, to follow the Luce Line West, where it finds the railway again.
This section is heavily wooded, and can be very dark at dusk.
You must have a light after dusk, as the trees are very large, the water hazards could be dangerous, and the trail curves about.
A couple of trestles cross the wet areas on the south side of Medicine Lake, alongside the tracks.
A tunnel under Hwy 55.
The bridge over Xenium Ave. is essentially a small hill, the highest climb of the trail.
This would have been a grade level crossing of Xenium, alongside the tracks, but a dedicated group of people raised money to put in a bridge over the industrial area traffic. There is another trail along Xenium Ave., going under the bridge, which can be reached by a ramp off the west end of the bridge (feels like a Hwy interchange for bicycles).
A small dark tunnel under Hwy 494.

The Parker Lake park trails meet the Luce Line trail at the West side of Parker Lake. Parker Lake park has water fountain and facilities,
so it is a good place to make a stop.

Crossing the tracks and going a few blocks West is the end of the Luce Line regional trail, meeting the Luce Line State trail.

------------
Luce Line State trail:
Vicksburg Ln, Plymouth, going West off the map.
Packed clay trail with small gravel on an old railway right-of-way.
Will need treaded tires due to the loose small rocks.
Typical speed is 5 to 6 mph, (half normal speed, but taking twice the effort), so plan accordingly.

You will need a light.
Going on this trail for any distance will likely result in you returning at dusk or later. You travel slower, get more tired, and will be much later returning than expected. There are no lights, and most sections are heavily wooded.

The trail is fairly straight, with only gradual curves.
This will help some if you were foolish enough to be out there after dusk without a light.
There were only a few of us on the trail who had any lights. It was difficult to avoid running over people in the dark (at least they could see me, I assume).

One section has a slight grade going to the East, which you will find when you are returning and are already completely spent.

There are porta-potties at several places along the trail.

There is a park at the east end of the bridge over Wayzata Blvd (Hwy 12).
The park has a bicycle repair stand with tools and an air pump.
There is a trail leading north that goes into downtown Long Lake, and the bicycle shop at the east end.

Farther West on the Luce Line, is the Old Crystal Road trail, which leads north to Baker Park and Lake Independence. This is mostly the
trail alongside the road type. Stay on the East side of the road, as that side has the trail.

Long Lake is a convienent place to stop for food. It is strung out along Hwy 12.
The Market Coop on Willow Drive (near the Old Crystal Road trail on the west end of town), is a small grocery store with booths and a microwave.
Across Hwy 12 is the McDonalds. The east end of town has a Mexican resturant.

-------------
Baker Park Reserve:
Baker Park reserve has extensive park trails, which circle Lake Karina.
It is good destination for a day trip.
It is about 4 hours from Wirth Park to Baker Park, and 4 hours back to Wirth Park, including stops in Long Lake.

At the north end of the Old Crystal Road trail, the trail crosses to the north side of Cty Rd 6 and turns West.
Stay on the trail for another 1/2 mile and it will turn and enter Baker Park.
Use this same trail to exit Baker Park.

DO NOT follow the sign that says Park Entrance, as that leads down a county road (Homestead Tr) which is 55 mph, and has no shoulders, and that entrance is more than 2 miles away on Cty Rd 24. That entrance is for cars, leads to parking lots, and the campgrounds.

There are signs in Baker Park that say To Luce Line.
There is one that leads south to a closed gate, with a regular road on the other side.
DO NOT go around the gate onto the roads.
The regular roads have in-the-street bicycling. The bicycle signs will point you south to Cty Rd 6, with in-the-street bicycle lanes, right next to 55 mph traffic.
If you then go 2 miles west on Cty Rd 6 (and survive), you will finally reach the Luce Line at North Shore Drive, 3 miles west of Old Crystal Road.

Last edited by MNwj48; 09-18-19 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 09:14 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Thanks for posting! I live in Eagan and am always amazed the little titbits you pick up. I'll try the route through Golden Valley. I ride at least 3-4 times a week on West River Road, starting at Minnehaha Falls, ending up past Broadway and back again. Easy ride. East River Road through St. Paul in pretty rough shape in spots.