Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official 2020 Quarantine Challenge

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official 2020 Quarantine Challenge

Old 05-04-20, 08:23 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
I finished my 50 miles yesterday and did my good deed the day before: Repaired a sewing machine for a neighbor. A very simple fix but my first foray into sewing machine repair. The machine's owner is keeping herself occupied by sewing during these hunker at home times and the sewing machine shops are all closed.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 05-06-20, 09:13 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 118 Posts
Long idle project

All,

I just got my Ironman ride-able again, making progress on a project for which I bought the parts in 2011.

Story and photos here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21460174

Thank you to this thread for helping me get motivated!

And, full disclosure, I was not able to complete it with parts fully on-hand. In addition to those, I needed:

+ A new 8-speed chain; the unit purchased in 2011 having been re-purposed to kidback-stoker duty.
+ A derailleur-hangar extender, because I could not get the mountain rear to clear the large cog of the 14-32 megarange without it.
+ A stainless washer to get just a smidge of clearance for the chain when it was on the smallest cog.

I'm 25 miles into the 50; all on-road so far. Likely to be only a token amount of fire-road.

I'm also giving myself leeway on the brake pads, as consumables, I'm replacing those before going off-road, for sure!
Likes For tgot: