Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are taillights necessary for daytime riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-10-20, 06:48 PM
Imperatore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Picking up my FX 3 Disc in a couple days and trying to get a good idea what are necessary accessory purchases. This is my first real bike purchase ever, so I'm still figuring this out.

Are tail lights a must for my daytime riding? I'm looking at the Planet Bike SuperFlash, but I wouldn't mind spending in the $50-$60 range for a better one if it's worth it and you have recommendations.
Old 04-10-20, 07:09 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I started riding with both front and rear lights during the day about three years ago and will never go back to commuting without them. I am so much more visible to sleepy morning drivers now - including those who might think about checking texts as they approach me. A bright flashing light makes it almost impossible for drivers to miss or ignore you. YES! Spend whatever you need to get a powerful rear blinkie AND a good, blinking headlight, too!
Old 04-10-20, 07:11 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Not necessary, but I think they're a good idea. As a driver, I see cyclists much sooner when they have taillights. The super flash type work well under many conditions, but they tend to disappear in bright sun.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 04-10-20, 07:15 PM
Imperatore

All useful information, thank you.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm concerned about the super bright blinking, flashing taillight. Is this not a risk for epileptics? I'm a teacher and I have a student who's extremely sensitive to this, has a condition and faints to any strobe/flashing lights. So, obviously there will be others like this. Just a bit concerned about this. I suppose I don't have to use the blinking lights and just keep on the steady bright light and that should be fine.
Old 04-10-20, 07:21 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Bah. Lights are only desirable if you want to maximize your chance of being seen by drivers. The rear light is a no brainer. A front light is handy sometimes if you see a car in the oncoming lane. He'll probably stay in his lane, but the guy behind him trying to pass him is guaranteed to use your lane to get around him. Unless he sees your blinking headlight. At least, that's my analysis, and I went to college.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-10-20, 08:41 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
I never ride without a rear blinking light and almost always use a front blinking light, as well.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-10-20, 08:48 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperatore
Are tail lights a must for my daytime riding? I'm looking at the Planet Bike SuperFlash, but I wouldn't mind spending in the $50-$60 range for a better one if it's worth it and you have recommendations.
Yes, I believe they are.

In my area, there's a particular quality of the light that combines with the background colors and hues, such that it can be incredibly common to see a cyclist seemingly blend in with the background. Until getting quite close. I haven't seen that everywhere I've ever been, but it sure occurs where I live.

Cyclists who have two or more "daytime" flashing lights end up vastly more visible (to me) than otherwise. Granted, those are just my own observations from seeing hundreds of cyclists on various roads, but it sure seems to help. With brightly-colored (ie, DayGlo Green) jersey or jacket, visibility is improved further.

I also frequently see that the cyclists with two or three exceptionally-bright "daytime" flashers also get a wider berth from following vehicles.

If riding frequently on roadways with lots of following vehicular traffic, my own preference is for: one very bright flasher on the back of the rack or saddle; one very bright flasher on the seat stay, down lower, flashing a different pattern; and a flasher on the rear of the helmet. Pretty darned visible, by comparison to having none or even one.

I suppose the benefits in your own area would depend on conditions and lighting. But I can't see how it could hurt to have as much high-viz rear lighting as possible.

While there are some brighter ones on the market, I've used this one and have been impressed with the visibility: Bontrager Flare R rear light.

Here's a useful website of reviews: Reviews @ BikeLightDatabase.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-11-20, 06:36 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
What Papa Tom said...Also in the morning and afternoon when the sun is low and in driver's eyes, having a flashing light really helps with visibility.

I recently replaced my helmet light with one that has a bright strobe. I started using it along with my front/rear flashers during the day...and I have noticed a favorable difference in how cars behave around me.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 04-11-20, 06:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Using lights in a daytime is optional and it isn't a necessity. Personally I don't use lights in the daytime
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-11-20, 07:16 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I used the Planet Bike Super Flash for many years, then switched to the Super Flash Turbo when it came out which is twice as bright. I've received many compliments from motorists regarding my visibility.

I only use them when in heavy or higher speed traffic. Quiet neighborhood rides or rides to the local store don't need 'em.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-11-20, 07:23 AM
Imperatore

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Yes, I believe they are.

In my area, there's a particular quality of the light that combines with the background colors and hues, such that it can be incredibly common to see a cyclist seemingly blend in with the background. Until getting quite close. I haven't seen that everywhere I've ever been, but it sure occurs where I live.

Cyclists who have two or more "daytime" flashing lights end up vastly more visible (to me) than otherwise. Granted, those are just my own observations from seeing hundreds of cyclists on various roads, but it sure seems to help. With brightly-colored (ie, DayGlo Green) jersey or jacket, visibility is improved further.

I also frequently see that the cyclists with two or three exceptionally-bright "daytime" flashers also get a wider berth from following vehicles.

If riding frequently on roadways with lots of following vehicular traffic, my own preference is for: one very bright flasher on the back of the rack or saddle; one very bright flasher on the seat stay, down lower, flashing a different pattern; and a flasher on the rear of the helmet. Pretty darned visible, by comparison to having none or even one.

I suppose the benefits in your own area would depend on conditions and lighting. But I can't see how it could hurt to have as much high-viz rear lighting as possible.

While there are some brighter ones on the market, I've used this one and have been impressed with the visibility: Bontrager Flare R rear light.

Here's a useful website of reviews: Reviews @ BikeLightDatabase.
Originally Posted by BobbyG
What Papa Tom said...Also in the morning and afternoon when the sun is low and in driver's eyes, having a flashing light really helps with visibility.

I recently replaced my helmet light with one that has a bright strobe. I started using it along with my front/rear flashers during the day...and I have noticed a favorable difference in how cars behave around me.
Awesome, thanks for your replies. I purchased the Portland Design Works Danger Zone tail-light. I tried the get the Bontrager that Clyde linked, but it's out of stock at Trek and at my local bike shop. I'm sure the Portland Design Works will do the trick.
Old 04-11-20, 07:35 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
but I'm concerned about the super bright blinking, flashing taillight. Is this not a risk for epileptics?
Someone with such severe epilepsy is likely not allowed to drive a car...And a passenger can look away from the light.

I agree with some others that a blinking (and bright) taillight is nearly essential for even daytime riding if there is any motor vehicle traffic.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-11-20, 07:36 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Using lights in a daytime is optional and it isn't a necessity. Personally I don't use lights in the daytime
I agree and even at night both motor vehicles and bicycles are in constant arms race of ever brighter lights that I find counter productive and blinding. I feel like 'normal' lighting on newer motor vehicles are more blinding than high beams on older models, particularly on raised vehicles.
Old 04-11-20, 07:49 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I use both head and tail lights during the day in the hopes that they make me a little more visible to drivers. High visibility clothing and helmets also contribute an extra edge in safety. Bicyclists lose in almost every encounter with a motor vehicle, so every little bit helps.
Likes For RonE:
Old 04-11-20, 08:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by RonE
I use both head and tail lights during the day in the hopes that they make me a little more visible to drivers. High visibility clothing and helmets also contribute an extra edge in safety.

Bicyclists lose in almost every encounter with a motor vehicle, so every little bit helps.
10+ to the advantages, even “after the fact.”
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What I mean is, a distracted driver shouldn't be able to use "I didn't see him" when the cyclist has brightly colored clothing and bright flashing lights.

I hope my daytime lights attract the attention of drivers so they know I'm there, but we all know that all too often "I didn't see him" is what they say because they weren't looking.

So I would hope that a cop would ask the driver, "WHY didn't you see them? What were you looking at which made you not see them?"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… I was also in a cycling accident three six years ago, that kept me off work for three months and off the bike for five…
I have had the experience of being hit-and-run, presumably not intentionally, but by a distracted (?inebriated) driver. The police filed charges.
The police were great, and their report at the subsequent trial was spot on and particularly noted my details for visibility, including lights and high vis vest.
I think the police testimony in my accident about lights was favorable to my case, though was in the situation of a rear hit-and-run at night.

Nonetheless, I think that any safety practice, including daytime (front and rear) lights, helmets, FRAP, even if unproved by studies, would be favorably considered by even the non-cyling public, including judges and juries.

The driver got a year in jail.
and we did get a rather hefty settlement from his insurance agency. I even had two different lawyers offer their services to litigate.
Old 04-11-20, 09:32 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
A bright blinking rear light would be good. I feel it is also important to wear bright colors upper body. The neon yellow and green chartreuse jump out in a city of concrete . If Huston is plentiful in bright colors wear drab concrete colors. lol. Just be seen! Wish you safe travels in the street jungles.
Old 04-11-20, 10:32 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Yes, flashing lights front and rear. But the rear needs to be intense. I would recommend a Cygolite hotshot 150 lumen or better for the taillight.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 04-11-20, 10:38 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Picking up my FX 3 Disc in a couple days and trying to get a good idea what are necessary accessory purchases. This is my first real bike purchase ever, so I'm still figuring this out.

I nearly always use them, along with a front flashing light, and cameras. I also nearly always wear a helmet.
I also don't think any of these things should be "necessary".

They don't hurt to have.

Ultimately, safety depends on motorists paying attention.
Old 04-12-20, 09:23 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77
A bright blinking rear light would be good. I feel it is also important to wear bright colors upper body.
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that. Artists' supply stores often sell very inexpensive (like 3 for $10) neon yellow or orange t-shirts that are excellent for commuting. I find that, if I wear the same bright color every day, drivers start to recognize and look for me on the road.
Old 04-12-20, 10:32 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I have one with 250 lumens attached to my helmet. For daytime with sunlight I wouldn't go less.

At night I choose a lower setting.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 04-12-20, 10:35 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I don't, when it's sunny but I wear a bright top / jacket and my bike is a bright color and riding a bit in the road so you're not hidden in the side.

I do when it's cloudy, overcast, rainy, dark or the sun is low.

I also carry a spare light if it's a usb charged one and for my rear I have battery powered backup and I'll test my lights the night before

In pitch black riding I also add a fluorescent tabard with sliver reflective strips on
Old 04-12-20, 11:56 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
What's the harm in having one? It will increase your chances of being seen. I run rear and front lights day and night. It's a no-brainer.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 04-12-20, 01:19 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
In Germany, bikes are required to have a taillight. In general, I think the Germans are better at surface transportation than we are.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 04-12-20, 01:39 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I have a tail light on the back of my helmet and it's always on. My tail light at the back of my bike is always on. I also wear reflector bands on my ankles and wrists as well as a reflector vest.

On two occasions, motorists waiting at intersections told me they appreciate how I'm lit up like a Christmas tree.
If anybody were to remind me how my lights were on, I'd reply "Good, you can see me."
Old 04-12-20, 03:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'd have said no. My prejudice earned when motorcycling tells me drivers don't see anything anyhow. But now I've got some peer pressure telling me otherwise
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-12-20 at 03:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.