Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano RS 10 replacement/upgrade

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-03-20, 10:27 AM
Dave115

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a stock 2010 CAAD9 5 compact 10 speed with RS10's. I want to replace the wheels but am at a loss at to what will fit the bike and my needs.
I ride primarily on clean asphalt and do about 120 miles weekly with speeds not exceeding 30 mph.
Wanting to use my new Continental gp 5000's in 23 so i was told to stay away from tubeless, tubular and UST wheels.
Whats left?
All alloy is fine carbon with an alloy breaking surface.
Mavic, Shimano, Fulcrum?

Thank you all.
Old 06-03-20, 10:44 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
What's wrong with your current wheels or what are you hoping to gain with the new ones? There are so many wheels that it's difficult to make one recommendation, but I will say that I avoid "wheel systems" like Mavic and others that use proprietary parts that will be obsoleted in a few years and difficult or impossible to repair when they break.

If you are using clincher tires you definitely cannot use tubular wheels. I'm not sure of the reason behind staying away from tubeless/UST wheels, but I suspect it's because they have a reputation for being more difficult to remove and install tires.

If you are looking for extra speed, switching to wider 25-28mm tires is probably the easiest thing you can do: https://www.renehersecycles.com/12-m...es-are-slower/
Old 06-03-20, 11:17 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Check out Velomine. They have very nice complete wheelsets with Shimano hubs and H+Son or Mavic rims for excellent prices...think under $250.
Comsider getting newer 105/7000 hubs; they are nominally 11 speed but come with a spacer to run 10 speed, and can be used on a new bike or component group if you upgradein the future.
Plus, they last pretty much forever. Have a pair of Velomine Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro wheels on my Cannondale and they’ve got maybe 10,000 miles on them. Still look, roll like new.
Old 06-03-20, 12:19 PM
Dave115

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rear wheel has an bend at the lip that bumps when i start to brake. Drives me crazy. It happened when my tire blew while in my trunk in the summer.
Old 06-03-20, 01:57 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave115
My rear wheel has an bend at the lip that bumps when i start to brake. Drives me crazy. It happened when my tire blew while in my trunk in the summer.
If that is the only problem, why don't you have a new rim put on the existing wheel?
Old 06-03-20, 02:32 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave115
You have several options:
- The bend can possibly be bent/smoothed/beaten out. But if that doesn't work to your satisfaction you can:
- Find a replacement RS10 rim and swap it over
- Have the hub laced to any 20 hole rim of adequate strength
- Get a new wheelset. I've never bought complete wheels from Velomine before, but they seem to get good reviews and I think rccardr's suggestion is a good one
Old 06-04-20, 01:26 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
RS10s are reasonable. While you MIGHT have issues with slightly harder tire installation, you can certainly install the non tubeless GP5000s on a tubeless road rim, which at this point represent the bulk of the new market. You need pretty unexotic wheels:
100mm QR front with rim brakes
130mm QR rear with Shimano 8/9/10sp HG freehub
With 23mm tires you can use pretty much any rim that's narrower than 19mm internal will work fine, but I'd probably recommend 17-19mm generally.
You can also use a 11 sp rear wheel but will need to put a 1.8mm spacer behind the cassette. All else being equal, an 11 speed wheel will be slightly weaker due to the longer freehub body requiring more dish. You may be able to find slightly better deals on 10 speed specific wheels. By all means Shimano make very good factory wheels so if you're happy with them you can buy new ones--all their wheels are hand built, and pretty well at that. They have some of the best aluminum wheels with carbon fairings if that's your fancy.
As someone who sometimes gets paid to build wheels for people, I have to of course point out that you can likely get a very lovely pair of wheels built by a custom wheel builder, which can result in excellent quality at often not-unreasonable prices.
For factory wheels I've also been fairly impressed by Easton, for what it's worth.