Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Old 07-23-20, 05:22 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's good quality stuff that's generally understated in design and they present a quite good value with their Core line. If someone takes issue with that, they're projecting.
If they stand by their claims, it's also heavily warranted. They claim to repair damage. It looked like nice stuff to me and I like the look, however I often just wear cross functional athletic wear that I use for more than one activity. My merino stuff costs that much or more full price although I watch for close out sales. I wouldn't even notice what brand someone else was wearing.
Likes For gear64:
Old 07-23-20, 06:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20804 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
If they stand by their claims, it's also heavily warranted. They claim to repair damage. It looked like nice stuff to me and I like the look, however I often just wear cross functional athletic wear that I use for more than one activity. My merino stuff costs that much or more full price although I watch for close out sales. I wouldn't even notice what brand someone else was wearing.
Rapha has some great merino base layers, FYI.
Old 07-23-20, 06:16 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I think you are a bit too easily affected by marketing....
well, that’s what they market.

I just buy my racing cycling club gear
Old 07-23-20, 06:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Once worked for a Mercedes dealer and found out informally that the markup from manufacturing cost to MSRP was 100%. I carry that thought with me when shopping for cycling attire. I imagine the retail markup is well over 100% for these up-market brands. I just do not like getting greased by any brand.
This isn't surprising at all. "Manufacturing cost" would probably be the marginal cost (the additional cost of building the car), which would not include R&D and design and other overhead costs, marketing, transportation, distribution, warranty service, etc -- and hence it is lower than the actual total cost of building a car. A 100% markup from marginal cost to MSRP doesn't seem that high, and is probably pretty typical. The conclusion that MB's markup is not unusually high is further supported by the fact that they are in a fairly competitive market (i.e., one with many close substitutes such as BMW), which constrains their pricing power.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-23-20, 06:30 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by gear64
See my post (#16) above.
Old 07-23-20, 06:42 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by dr_max
Nope. That's what you choose to see.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-23-20, 07:19 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Under what circumstances would I care what some other cyclist is wearing, or what they paid for it? As long as they didn't take my money out of my pocket to buy their gear, I quite literally could not care less.

I have no opinions about Rapha one was or the other. I don't own any, because I'm cheap, and they sell bibs that cost more than my shoes (and I wear expensive shoes.) I'm a Black Bibs and jerseys-on-clearance-who-cares-what-brand kinda guy.

I do own a Cervelo though. Not a dentist.
Agree

When it comes to cycling "kit" I struggle much. It has only been in the last 3 or 4 months if that since started wearing road cycling pants in public.In the past I've always worn mountain bike shorts or way back touring shorts. Anyway, I want clothing that fits and is comfortable. I'm not big into brands or using my person as an billboard, all of my items of "kit" are as plain as possible. I cannot see me wearing a pro team jersey or bike brand, I'm just not that good and that seems pretentious anyway and I lack cycling talent. I do belong to two recreational teams/clubs and have team jerseys for them but I only wear them when I have to. I think the $60 or $70 bucks I paid for each of them is upper limit for me, 90% of my riding is with plain $20 jerseys.

But as others have said well it's their money.
Old 07-23-20, 07:35 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts

I’m confused, because I don’t think I’ve seen any Rapha marketing with 3/4 pants or people combing their mustache.

Seems more you have an axe to grind with people that look a particular way and not so much with the clothing.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-23-20, 07:57 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
About 5 yrs ago I "discovered" Assos. Their kit fits me perfectly and is high quality. I'm a total fan now. I have nothing bad to say about Rapha. Actually I have nothing at all to say. Buy what works for you.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-23-20, 08:04 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

Make sure it is an Ineos team kit so you don't look like a dork in Rapha gear...
Old 07-23-20, 08:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I also collect watches and there is a lot of hand-wringing about how people are treated at various dealers. Sometimes, how you dress does play a role - but some of it is also how you interpret the interaction. When I go into a shop, the only thing i care about is whether the salesperson answers my questions - his opinion of me is entirely irrelevant (and of course, the transaction part of it). I ask my questions, they usually answer. As long as i get the info i need, the rest doesnt matter - and that pretty much always happens.
I was once car shopping, just at the exploratory stage, and the salesman walked up to me for the usual schmooze, but then he started cataloging what I was wearing OUT LOUD. I don't imagine he lasted long in that business, saying the quiet part out loud.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-23-20, 08:44 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I was once car shopping, just at the exploratory stage, and the salesman walked up to me for the usual schmooze, but then he started cataloging what I was wearing OUT LOUD. I don't imagine he lasted long in that business, saying the quiet part out loud.
That’s gotta be hard these days, when the person showing up in running shorts might be buying a $50k car. Or $100k.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-23-20, 08:46 AM
WhyFi

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-23-20, 08:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That’s gotta be hard these days, when the person showing up in running shorts might be buying a $50k car. Or $100k.
Right. Is that guy in a worn T-shirt and jeans, with a 5 day growth of beard a wealthy Silicon Valley guy trying to project an air of insouciance? Or some working class guy who wants to sit in a Porsche?

In this case, the guy seemed especially taken with my Timberland shoes. I mean, he literally said, "And you've got your Timberland shoes." I didn't tell him I'd gotten them on sale for half price.

Old 07-23-20, 09:03 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
As with just about any manufactured product there can be a big difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap".
Disclaimer: Don't own any Rapha gear and am completely neutral on them.
West
Old 07-23-20, 10:43 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Where I'm located, when I see folks wearing Rapha, there's a 90% chance that they came from San Francisco.
I don't know, I see a lot of people around Marin wearing Rapha. They can't all be from SF.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-23-20, 11:03 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Right. Is that guy in a worn T-shirt and jeans, with a 5 day growth of beard a wealthy Silicon Valley guy trying to project an air of insouciance? Or some working class guy who wants to sit in a Porsche?

In this case, the guy seemed especially taken with my Timberland shoes. I mean, he literally said, "And you've got your Timberland shoes." I didn't tell him I'd gotten them on sale for half price.
There is some evidence that customers who appear to be well-educated professionals (i.e., well-groomed people in nice clothes and etc) get better prices on new cars. Salespeople just assume that such customers are better-informed and better negotiators, and so they allow them to more successfully negotiate down the prices. At least, that was the conclusion from a study that was done about 25 years ago.

I did test this during my next new car purchase. I put on a nice suit, combed my hair, and - when the car salesman approached to introduce himself - I gave my name as "Dr. Wily Koyote" - which is something I would normally never do, because I'm not a d-bag. And I'll be damned - I got a great price on that car, with almost no pushback from the salesman. Still, wearing a suit and tie is so onerous that I haven't used that method for either of the two new cars I have purchased since then.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-23-20, 11:40 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I'm just a a normal schmuck, well nearly normal. But, when I rolled into a Porsche dealership on my Ducati I got lots of service.
Old 07-23-20, 11:47 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by koyote
there is some evidence that customers who appear to be well-educated professionals (i.e., well-groomed people in nice clothes and etc) get better prices on new cars. Salespeople just assume that such customers are better-informed and better negotiators, and so they allow them to more successfully negotiate down the prices. At least, that was the conclusion from a study that was done about 25 years ago.

I did test this during my next new car purchase. I put on a nice suit, combed my hair, and - when the car salesman approached to introduce himself - i gave my name as "dr. Wily koyote" - which is something i would normally never do, because i'm not a d-bag. And i'll be damned - i got a great price on that car, with almost no pushback from the salesman. Still, wearing a suit and tie is so onerous that i haven't used that method for either of the two new cars i have purchased since then.

lol

Last edited by woodcraft; 07-23-20 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-23-20, 11:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by sfrider
I don't know, I see a lot of people around Marin wearing Rapha. They can't all be from SF.
Isn't Marin like SF, only more so?

Old 07-23-20, 11:52 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by sfrider

No, but 90% of them could be...
Old 07-23-20, 11:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Koyote
There is some evidence that customers who appear to be well-educated professionals (i.e., well-groomed people in nice clothes and etc) get better prices on new cars. Salespeople just assume that such customers are better-informed and better negotiators, and so they allow them to more successfully negotiate down the prices. At least, that was the conclusion from a study that was done about 25 years ago.

I did test this during my next new car purchase. I put on a nice suit, combed my hair, and - when the car salesman approached to introduce himself - I gave my name as "Dr. Wily Koyote" - which is something I would normally never do, because I'm not a d-bag. And I'll be damned - I got a great price on that car, with almost no pushback from the salesman. Still, wearing a suit and tie is so onerous that I haven't used that method for either of the two new cars I have purchased since then.
One of the best deals I ever got on a car was the time my wife and I took our 3-month old baby to the dealer. Feeding and changing the baby unsettled the salesman, and then when he said, "Sorry, but that's the best we can do" and wife and I exchanged a glance and wordlessly began packing up to leave, he dropped another $1300.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-23-20, 12:02 PM
woodcraft

Isn't Marin like SF, only more so?

SF= hipster/dentist, rando/techie

Marin= hippy/dentist, MAMIL/mtnbiker, neo-hip gravel groupies
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-23-20, 12:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by woodcraft
SF= hipster/dentist, rando/techie

Marin= hippy/dentist, MAMIL/mtnbiker, neo-hip gravel groupies
Now do the Peninsula.

Old 07-23-20, 12:18 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Another one of these threads?
Likes For Marcus_Ti:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.