Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair/Replace Thru Axle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-20, 02:19 PM
mrspock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all. I loaned my bicycle to a friend who it turns out did not know how to remove the front wheel properly. It's a 15mm thru axle and he basically popped four parts off the non-lever side: a rubber grommet (broken), a washer, some sort of lock washer (bent) and a piece of metal that looks like it broke off from an existing piece. I've never replaced one of these and when I look them up online the photos only show the lever/axle part, not the complicated nut assembly that goes on the other side. Does that come with a new axle? Do I need a whole new axle? The bike is a 2015 Novara (REI) Pondarosa 29er. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-05-20, 05:25 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Since it's the front wheel you will need to look into the fork manufacturer and replacement parts offered. A quick Google search shows a Suntour fork. Wish I could help more than that...pics of the fork, thru axle, and the bits that were damaged would help. You could also take the bike to REI for help.
Old 08-05-20, 06:57 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Best bet is REI as some parts can be specific to the fork
Old 08-05-20, 08:38 PM
mrspock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it's a Suntour air fork. Here are some photos. I got it back together and it seems very solid clamped down but it just comes apart now when I try to remove the axle. It seems pretty standard from the perspective of wheel and fork, I am hoping this won't be a nightmare to fix. I know it's a cheapo fork but I am not in the position to replace it right now.

Thanks!

Oh crap, I can't upload photos yet. Maybe you guys can look at it with these links?

ibb.co/fX4LwKd
ibb.co/SJjt0q8

Last edited by mrspock; 08-05-20 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 09:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I thought that SunTour forks had a straight bore and a bayonet axle

edit: yeah, I looked at your fork picture and it’s the kind I remember from a bike I had about two years ago. All of that is on the axle, none of it goes on the fork leg. When you loosen the lever, you can push on the cylinder part and it pushes in the jaws. Then it all slides through the straight bore on the fork leg
Old 08-05-20, 09:08 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Interesting design. Here's an explanation of how if works (and marketing's explanation of the benefits): https://www.srsuntour.com/technologies/q-loc/

And here's spare parts, including the endcap for that thru axle: https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/xcr-service-parts
Old 08-05-20, 09:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
From when I owned that bike and wanted it lighter, I remember that their website had a titanium version that was always sold out. Here’s your excuse! If it’s not sold out still.

It really was a convenient design.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-05-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 09:51 PM
mrspock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, ok. Looks like I might just need that Q-Loc endcap, though I don't know what it will take to install it (does it just screw on?). And the plastic seat for the QR lever cracked while I was trying to put it back together so I don't know what that means for the function of the release mechanism.

Another question, if the whole thing just slides into the hub and doesn't interact with the fork, can I just put any old 15mm thru-axle in there if this doesn't work? Must I stick with the stock axle? And what endcap do I put on there if I do use another axle? I just wish it was a standard skewer.

Thanks for the info, I never dreamed they would still offer parts for this thing.
Old 08-05-20, 10:03 PM
mrspock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to this thread, I should be able to thread a standard skewer endcap onto it if all else fails. Seems I am not the only one to have had this problem. Either way, I have some options to look into. Thanks for everything guys.

forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/suntour-qloc-thru-axle-wtf-1060407.html