Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Numbness in left hand/arm? Causes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-06-20, 09:45 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts

I'm having a niggling issue where after 15-20 miles on my Specialized Roubaix, my left arm and hand will tingle and be a bit numb. Mostly my hand.

OEM bars, same Selle SMP saddle I've had since I bought the bike new in 2010.

I switch up my hand positions frequently.

I am in good shape, and otherwise have no issues on the bike.

The numb hand thing is fairly recent. I have changed nothing on the bike.

Any ideas? When I get home after a ride, the numbness will stick around maybe 30 minutes, and then it's gone.

I never have numbness or circulation issues otherwise.
Old 08-06-20, 11:23 PM
hebecb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you be more specific?

There was a good YouTube video on this not long ago (gcn maybe? )

different kinds of numbness have different root causes. If it's your whole hand it might be carpal tunnel which is not good esp if you use a computer.

I had lots of issues with my pinky and ring fingers going numb. It seemed to have nothing to do with weight bearing or circulation based on what I tried. I mentioned it to a physical therapist I was seeing and he said it could be a constricting of a nerve running through my elbow. He gave me a stretch and BINGO problem solved!

the stretch btw was (hopefully my description makes sense)... when I was a kid I made a "mask" by forming a ring with my thumb and forefinger... raise your elbow and invert the hand... grab your jaw with the three free fingers and rest the thumb on the eyebrow. Turn your head and arm GENTLY towards the back and you should feel a light stretch in your elbow. Instant relief for me.

I was hesitant to share the stretch because its possible to overdo and screw up the nerve. My real point in sharing was that once my PT understood the issue he gave me something that cleared it up right away. I'm as bad as the next guy when it comes to suffering through stuff but I wouldn't screw around with numbness.
Likes For hebecb:
Old 08-07-20, 06:40 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
SVTNate It could be your neck. Back in 2010 I developed a bulging disk on the left side of my neck. But I felt it in my left arm. When the physician touched the side of my neck, it felt as if he was touching my arm. It was a very strange sensation. Prior to that I had occasional tingling and pain in my left hand that would jump from my middle finger to my ring finger.

My bulging disk was very serious and painful and kept me off the bike for a year. But since then I have had no issues.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-07-20, 07:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ this. Too often we focus on the immediate symptom (hand) without ever diagnosing the "system" of nerves that originate at the spine and travel to the fingertips. The OP may well have a nerve impingement due to (1) structural issues (like a herniated or bulging disc, above), (2) underlying muscular issues in the neck or back (from being unaware of tensing during rides, or a prolonged knotted muscle) that impinges on the nerve path, or from (3) something having to do with the hand itself (gripping too tightly, weight on hands pressing nerves, etc.).

Sometimes (2) knotting, can derive from the body's compensating from (1) structural misalignment.
Old 08-07-20, 07:31 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I had a bulged disk resulting in severe pain in the upper scapula, shoulder, and numbness down the arm. Wound up having C6-7 vertbrea fused. Much better a year later, pain gone. Taking a while for all my muscles to return to normal but 90% there now.

I can still get numbness after resting on the handlebars too much, so change up that riding position and look at your ergonomics.
Old 08-07-20, 07:33 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ this. Too often we focus on the immediate symptom (hand) without ever diagnosing the "system" of nerves that originate at the spine and travel to the fingertips. The OP may well have a nerve impingement due to (1) structural issues (like a herniated or bulging disc, above), (2) underlying muscular issues in the neck or back (from being unaware of tensing during rides, or a prolonged knotted muscle) that impinges on the nerve path, or from (3) something having to do with the hand itself (gripping too tightly, weight on hands pressing nerves, etc.).

Sometimes (2) knotting, can derive from the body's compensating from (1) structural misalignment.
Cool stretch! I tried it and it feels good, felt the scapula, shoulder and elbow muscles stretched and relieved.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 08-07-20, 07:41 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I've had that problem and in my case it seems to be related to rotator cuff issues. Stretching exercises have, at least for the time being, greatly reduced the problem.
Old 08-07-20, 09:28 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Not knowing your age, I'd say it's pretty common. I'm 64 and never noticed it much until the last couple years. I just try to minimize it by changing hand position, standing up to peddle, or deliberately taking weight off hands by engaging core muscles. Just lift hands a little and core muscles automatically engage. Keep hands lightly on bars and numbness subsides.
Old 08-07-20, 09:31 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

I just turned 40.

And yes, I do get pain in my neck/shoulders from being down in the drops and looking forward. I've watched a bunch of YouTube bike fitting videos, and I think my seat may be too far forward (it's almost all the way forward on the rails)
Old 08-07-20, 10:22 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Here's my anecdote about a similar issue I had.

A few months ago my left hand would tingle and go numb after the same amount of riding. After doing some fit checks, I raised the saddle height a bit and determined that it was the saddle tilt. It was a little nose down causing me to put more weight on the hands. Subconsciously, I think lean and steer more with my left hand.

After leveling out the saddle but still messing with the height, I'm supporting my weight on the saddle and with my core; unweighting the hands. Since I haven't had the tingling and numbness return.

Last edited by oris; 08-07-20 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-07-20, 10:37 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

I should probably bring my bike in and get a proper fit, review my saddle tilt/height/etc, take a look at my bars, etc. I was a kid when I bought this bike - and a fat kid at that. I'm 80 pounds lighter today than I was in 2010 when I bought it (actually, maybe more than that).

Also, back then I'd ride maybe 20-30 miles per month. Now, I'm averaging 80 miles per week.
Old 08-07-20, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Keyboarding?
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-07-20, 12:44 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTNate
I'm having a niggling issue where after 15-20 miles on my Specialized Roubaix, my left arm and hand will tingle and be a bit numb. Mostly my hand.

Any ideas? When I get home after a ride, the numbness will stick around maybe 30 minutes, and then it's gone.

The two major causes of this are the difference in the armlength from left to right causing a clumsy position. This is usually rectified by making a far more conservative position on the bike.
The second cause it the most common - wearing the wrong size of glove. They will pinch the hands between the fingers cutting off blood flow and leading to numb hands sometimes radiating all the way back to your shoulders.

This too can often be remediated by a more conservative position on the bike so that you have less pressure on your hands and reducing the effects of a tight glove. You should not go on training rides with a full flat position as you would in a race. The human body was not made to assume positions like that over a great deal of time.
Old 08-07-20, 01:02 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
The two major causes of this are the difference in the armlength from left to right causing a clumsy position. This is usually rectified by making a far more conservative position on the bike.
The second cause it the most common - wearing the wrong size of glove. They will pinch the hands between the fingers cutting off blood flow and leading to numb hands sometimes radiating all the way back to your shoulders.

This too can often be remediated by a more conservative position on the bike so that you have less pressure on your hands and reducing the effects of a tight glove. You should not go on training rides with a full flat position as you would in a race. The human body was not made to assume positions like that over a great deal of time.
This helped me in the past. I wear a cycling glove one size larger than I do for normal gloves. I normally wear a large glove, but for cycling I wear an XL.

Glenn
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 08-07-20, 01:42 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts

I had a similar issue for a while when my gloves started to wear out. My old gloves had these gel pads on the palms that were nice at first, but after a year or so started causing numbness. Basically, the glove material was wearing out and that caused the pads to end up under the heel of my hand. Since any weight on my hands was now effectively spread over a smaller area, the increased pressure caused numbness after a few minutes. I could mitigate the issue by repositioning my gloves on my hands every few minutes, but that was obnoxious. The solution was buying new gloves without those stupid gel pads.

Anyway, is your bar tape worn out? Gloves in good shape? Position is still fine? I would start by answering those questions first, and then look for upstream causes, e.g. neck or spinal issues, heart attack, etc.
Old 08-07-20, 01:44 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Keyboarding?
No, this a forum for people that ride bicycles. I'm sure the fine folks over at red-dit can help you find a good keyboarding forum.
Old 08-07-20, 02:19 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

I don't know what "keyboarding" means

And I don't wear gloves
Old 08-07-20, 02:52 PM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
You might be experiencing the peripheral neuropathy which is damage to the nerves caused by dietary issues. It's easily reversible by dietary changes like avoidance of simple carbohydrates that spike blood insulin and the elimination of all PUFA seed oils, and perhaps you might need to eat more Omega 3 fats to displace those defective PUFAs that damage nerves and cell membranes, and start supplementing with B vitamin-complex especially including thiamine and B12. Peripheral neuropathy is extremely common in people who eat stuff like Dorito chips, breakfast cereal, pizza, beer and coffee. These foods deplete thiamine and increase insulin leading to nerve degeneration and blood capillary damage. Long term it will lead to deadly stuff like diabetes, eye damage, blindness, high blood pressure, and kidney disease so nip it in the bud immediately and start reversing your health decline.

Don't assume it's a simple mechanical issue like bar position or gloves. Examine your dietary choices and research the consequences of them. As you get older and your metabolism slows you have to reconsider diet and start to forsake junk food.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 08-07-20 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 03:15 PM
BoraxKid

I don't know what "keyboarding" means

And I don't wear gloves
What about your bar tape? Is it in good condition or is it getting worn out?
Old 08-07-20, 05:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you typed words to write here, that was a keyboard you were using ..
Old 08-07-20, 07:03 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
Peripheral neuropathy is extremely common in people who eat stuff like Dorito chips, breakfast cereal, pizza, beer and coffee.

Don't assume it's a simple mechanical issue like bar position or gloves. Examine your dietary choices and research the consequences of them. As you get older and your metabolism slows you have to reconsider diet and start to forsake junk food.
Doesn't apply to me, I haven't had a chip or a piece of bread or a beer or a bowl of cereal in over a year.

I drink coffee, probably 1 cup per day.

I don't eat sugar.

I recently had a full blood panel, I have no health issues.

I gave up junk food a long time ago. The only food in my house (meaning - 100% of the time, without exception) is turkey, chicken, salad, olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the salads, lowfat cottage cheese, a jar of green olives that'll last me 6 months, and avocados.

EDIT - and a large collection of hot sauces! Eating nothing but chicken and turkey requires an arsenal of hot sauces, but they have no calories/no sugar.

I do always keep a Costco box of granola bars - but only for fuel when I ride more than 30 miles. I've never eaten one in my house, always out on the road.

Oh, and bar tape is original, 10 years old, but looks new. Like I said, the bike was just serviced at a well known local road bike shop.... they were amazed that the bar tape is original. There is no wear.... well, minimal wear anyway.
Old 08-07-20, 09:24 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts

Start with the basics. Get your seat fore/aft set correctly for you, then address the seat height. My guess is both are not right. Your reach may be too great as well, or maybe too much drop. I would suggest using Steve Hogg's method of setting the fore/aft, and his method of seat height setting as well. Keep an open mind about your seat height too, it is probably too high, despite what you may think based on a fitter's advice, or what you have read. There is a story on Steve's site about the horrific back issues one person had after a professional fitter set her seat height. Her story is in the comment section of the "Seat Height How Hard Can It Be, article, and is also mentioned in the second seat height article. She ended up needed surgery for a bulged disc, and a ruptured disc, due directly to the seat height, set by a professional fitter. The fitter set the seat height too high for her, using all the measurements, including a goniometer. I went through some of it myslef, until I dropped my seat height. I still held out those last few millimeters, all the while having issues with pain, I gave in and dropped it more, based on his method, and low and behold, all my issues went away.

Since you are experiencing the problem on one side, that would suggest you are not sitting symmetrically on the bike, that usually happens with a seat height that is too high. If your seat is too high, you will drop to one side to compensate, and you will not be stable on the bike. As for age, I am 55, and rode across Indiana and Ohio last year with no issues, on days much longer than what are causing your pain. I am also not naturally flexible, still, I had no issues. Now, if I try to overextend to fit a supposed ideal fit, instead of fitting my bike to my body, and its range of motion, there will be issues. If you are on Instagram, also check out bikefitjames.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...or-road-bikes/

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/

Good luck, and take care of it. You don't want it to get worse.

Last edited by phughes; 08-07-20 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 09:58 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I had a similar issue several years ago, and a physical therapist traced it to my posture when working at a computer, causing distress in my neck. He said it's quite common. He put me through a bunch of motions, then had me sit down at the computer in the examining room, and type something. He said: "That's it, your posture sucks."

To get over the problem, I raised the bars on my bike temporarily to quite a high position, and also switched to a standing desk at work.
Old 08-07-20, 10:27 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Thanks for all the help thus far, everyone.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 08-08-20, 08:21 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
My hands and occasionally entire arms go numb and tingle, sometimes for weeks at a time, due to spinal stenosis in my neck. Adjusting bike fit and gear helps but in my case doesn't cure. Just need too live with a certain degree of stiffness.

Chiropractors really help, as does glucosemine. What has practically cured my neck and hand issues has been the recumbent bike. Bit of an extreme cure.

I wonder just how much day discomfort we cyclists need to live with as we age?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.