Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Original Hyperglide Chain Connector Pin Removal & Reinstallation?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 01:05 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,050 Posts

7 speed, Hyperglide cassette rear hub.
I want to break the low mileage original Hyperglide chain on my Bridgestone. It still has the factory waxy type coating on it, but it is very dusty from having sat around for the better part of 3 decades.
I want to remove the chain to do a thorough deep cleaning, probably a wax lube, then reinstall the chain.
One of the pins is noticeably different from the others, see pic. I am presuming this is the original connector pin, and I'd like to maintain as much originality on the bike as possible. If I drive this pin out, can I reinstall it?
Or would I be better off picking a different spot on the chain to remove a pin/link and installing a quick link. I realize this option would allow for easier future removal / servicing.

Old 08-09-20, 03:59 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
7 speed, Hyperglide cassette rear hub.
I want to break the low mileage original Hyperglide chain on my Bridgestone. It still has the factory waxy type coating on it, but it is very dusty from having sat around for the better part of 3 decades.
I want to remove the chain to do a thorough deep cleaning, probably a wax lube, then reinstall the chain.
One of the pins is noticeably different from the others, see pic. I am presuming this is the original connector pin, and I'd like to maintain as much originality on the bike as possible. If I drive this pin out, can I reinstall it?
Or would I be better off picking a different spot on the chain to remove a pin/link and installing a quick link. I realize this option would allow for easier future removal / servicing.

You can buy replacement pins for a few bucks. I would not reuse the original.

Edit: https://mikesbikes.com/products/hg-c...AaAmREEALw_wcB

Last edited by MrK.; 08-09-20 at 04:03 PM.
Likes For MrK.:
Old 08-09-20, 04:06 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Although MrK. gives good advice, a chain cleaning 'in situ' is easier than swapping the stoopid Shimano special pin. I think my closeted dislike for Shimano began with those chains.
Old 08-09-20, 04:08 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
Your LBS might have some pins. I use the HG 7/8, 9, and 10 use different pins and like MRk says, leave that pin in the photo alone. Story is that the holes hold that pin just fine but if you drive a replacement into that slot, it may not hold very well.
Old 08-09-20, 04:46 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
don't forget you have to use Shimano's special chain tool meant for HG and UG
Old 08-09-20, 05:04 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I would just pop the HG pin and that link and replace it with a KMC 7/8 master link have done this on several bikes no issues.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 08-09-20, 08:36 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Also I would advise against much chain cleaning beyond whip down if the chain as vintage and good as described heavy cleaning will take off the HG finish on the chain and likely make it worse.
Old 08-10-20, 01:37 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
The early Shimano UG and HG chain tools had a shallow recesses on the opposing face of the tool. This allowed you to put the chain back together without squishing the bowed out plates. These chains could potentially 'break' if joined back together with a standard VAR or Cyclo etc chain tool. I'd imagine there's still a modern equivalent for those that want to use those stupid special pins, or for really old chains with no special pin.

I don't think it's relevant if you're just splitting the chain and using a quick link.