Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Box O' Crap game take 4 (that's right - 4)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 06:17 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultraspontane
Got the box.

This Box O' Crap game is a neat concept, but should we really be paying to ship a bunch of low end derailleurs and brake levers from the 80's and 90's around the country? The vast majority of the stuff in that box should be thrown out or recycled. I had a few decent pieces to add, but since there is nothing of any worth to take and no room left in the box, I'm leaving it as is and sending it off to the next guy tomorrow.
I am definitely for taking stuff out. I plan to get a box together for freecycle. I have to make sure it has enough crap in it to get someone to pick it up. If room available I will put stuff that I think is usable. Is there a vetting system as to what to remove? Frankly I am more interested in adding stuff then removing, but I am with Ultraspontane that it should be worthy stuff. All my Falcon stuff is going in the freecycle box, not in the Box O' Crap.
Old 08-27-12, 06:21 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any suggestions (I know there are some in the beginning of the thread), other then Campy Delta brakes, as to what put in the box? Like I can give away the Winner A size cogs for nothing. Maybe they should go into the trash. Is there interest in good condition spoke protectors, freewheels, brakes? I have 100+ front hubs I think. Union chrome butted spokes, size 289?
Old 08-27-12, 07:14 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Got the box.

This Box O' Crap game is a neat concept, but should we really be paying to ship a bunch of low end derailleurs and brake levers from the 80's and 90's around the country? The vast majority of the stuff in that box should be thrown out or recycled. I had a few decent pieces to add, but since there is nothing of any worth to take and no room left in the box, I'm leaving it as is and sending it off to the next guy tomorrow.
o.0 I saw tons of stuff in there this crowd would like, I find it hard to believe it's all gone. I find it more likely you just didn't have any use for them

I am also not against replacing the crap, I actually took out a bunch of "garbage" and donated it to the co op then replaced it with what I consider better.

Last edited by RaleighSport; 08-27-12 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-27-12, 07:16 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the box.

No one would fault one by replacing crappy stuff with less crappy stuff.
Old 08-27-12, 07:58 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
I put in some stuff I thought was worthy based on what I saw in the box when it arrived. I believe it was all extracted very quickly (within one or two hops).
Old 08-27-12, 08:17 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

It's a crapshoot, no pun intended. Sometimes you get good stuff and sometimes you don't.
Old 08-27-12, 01:15 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
I think the natural BOC cycle is going to filter down the contents to a core of crap that nobody needs. I'd vote to add "donate stuff to the local co-op" as a legitimate crap reduction strategy. It's a shame if folks have nicer crap they want to add to the box but there is no room, because there's nothing they want to take.
Old 08-27-12, 03:30 PM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeirvine
I think the natural BOC cycle is going to filter down the contents to a core of crap that nobody needs. I'd vote to add "donate stuff to the local co-op" as a legitimate crap reduction strategy.
I did this and nobody yelled.

I posted a picture of the crap I donated to the local CO-OP just in case anybody wanted to say "Wait, send that to me!"
Old 08-27-12, 04:16 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not part of the BOC cycle (yet) but I wonder if now and then a receiver should photo and list everything in the box, and maybe the group sorts out the real crap from the crap that maybe people want.
Old 08-27-12, 04:22 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Savagewolf
I'm not part of the BOC cycle (yet) but I wonder if now and then a receiver should photo and list everything in the box, and maybe the group sorts out the real crap from the crap that maybe people want.
Nah - the mystery is most of the fun. What is lurking beneath the surface of the dim, fuzzy cell phone picture the previous BOC'er posted?
Old 08-27-12, 06:18 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Originally Posted by Savagewolf
I think you didn't read post #1 very carefully.. there be rules!
Old 08-27-12, 09:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Wow, we haven't seen any pics for awhile

As far as the other issue, well, I have to agree with PG's post #556: it's a crapshoot. Last time around I didn't find anything I could use, so I stuffed a bunch of goodies in there and called it good.

Funny - you'da thunk somebody would've made a special effort for the game's originator

Anyway, what's $15.85 for the chance at something you really need? I mean, we're not all going to get lucky and find a near-mint Nuovo Record derailleur lurking at the bottom under the dork-disk collection, but hey - there's a chance, right?

Let 'er ride; if you've got better crap than the crap that arrives on your doorstep and it won't fit, take out the crappier crap and donate it to the local co-op. Then dump in the more-stellar crap and call it good.

This ain't rocket science - it's a game, and the central object of the game is supposed to be a box filled with crap!

Some of you are succeeding admirably in providing the intended service

DD
Old 08-29-12, 08:11 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Sorry I haven't been around lately still working out bugs with my PC stuff and my personal life has had it's share of bugs also. I wanted to thank everyone that gave me well wishes on losing our cat Sqeek, he was a good cat and will be missed.

I was able to get my pics uploaded so I can post them. As far as paying $15 for a box of crap, did you read the title, it's a Box Of Crap. I had to remove a few items that were of the crappiest crap in the box to make room for what I had put in, plus what I took for a couple of projects I have to work on there wasn't any room left. I like putting stuff in the box more then removing it so it can get a chance to be used and not lay forever in my parts bins.

Glenn

I for one still think I got something of use out of the game so

I think I need to set my date/time stamp on my camera again lol.
Old 08-30-12, 10:16 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
Sorry I haven't been around lately still working out bugs with my PC stuff and my personal life has had it's share of bugs also. I wanted to thank everyone that gave me well wishes on losing our cat Sqeek, he was a good cat and will be missed.

I was able to get my pics uploaded so I can post them. As far as paying $15 for a box of crap, did you read the title, it's a Box Of Crap. I had to remove a few items that were of the crappiest crap in the box to make room for what I had put in, plus what I took for a couple of projects I have to work on there wasn't any room left. I like putting stuff in the box more then removing it so it can get a chance to be used and not lay forever in my parts bins.

Glenn

I for one still think I got something of use out of the game so

I think I need to set my date/time stamp on my camera again lol.
Ha that stem narrowly avoided a coop visit same for that rapid fire pod too actually.

Edit: I love your cat btw Glen.
Old 08-30-12, 11:00 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Nice stuff Glenn. That's a funny picture of Sqeek with his tongue out. How long ago was that taken?
Old 09-03-12, 10:52 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
LOL, That's not Sqeek that's my Cat LIL Kris, she is a little cross eyed if you couldn't tell from the photo. I took the pic the same day the BOC arrived. She is one of 7 solid black cats we own, 6 are from the same litter.

Glenn
Old 09-03-12, 11:01 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

^ D'oh! I should have noticed the date. I do see the crossed-eyes not. We have one black cat, Chastity, and previously has another black cat, Pepper, who got cancer and we had to put him to sleep. He was a special needs kitty and was one of my all-time favorites. Widget is my current favorite of the 3 cats we have right now. We got her when she was 6 weeks old and we've now had her a year!
Old 09-08-12, 01:57 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
so where is the box?
Old 09-08-12, 11:54 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
^ Gooood question

I'm done herding cats, tho - got a house and a couple bikes to sell, not to mention a job

While I will continue to update Post #1 as I get info/requests, I am leaving the rest up to you guys; everyone here is a literate adult and the rules are all spelled out on page one.

Play nice, play well and best of luck to all!

DD
Old 09-09-12, 09:14 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
everyone here is a literate adult
He said with no hint of irony. . . .
Old 09-09-12, 09:20 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

So last known receiver is Ultra, I assume Photograv would have posted by now if he had it.
Old 09-09-12, 09:50 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Unfortunately, I do not have the box yet.
Old 09-09-12, 09:54 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by photogravity
Unfortunately, I do not have the box yet.
Thank you for checking in, guess I'm going to try my hand at herding cats.

Edit: Looks like Ultra hasn't been on since august 26th... anyone have means of reaching him? PM me if so.
Old 09-09-12, 11:36 AM
KvltBryce
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
ooooohhhhhhnnnnooooooooo.

Come back, Ultraspontane!
Old 09-09-12, 11:55 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
I will announce my december trip to Baltimore

I would love to get that box o crap,
I will bring some really nice crap from finland to throw in there!
Maybe Jirvine can get the box same time as I would like to visit my old friend.

So can you put me on the list but I have a time slot.

I have to start thinking of the cool crap I will bring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.