Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Pennsylvania masters

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 06:33 AM
plantrob
a runner no more

Bikes: Raleigh Competition C6 Fusion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pennsylvania masters

Went out on a limb this weekend and requested an upgrade to cat 4 based on my 7 races to date - and was approved . That suddenly gives me a wealth of choices for upcoming races - instead of only qualifying for the cat 5 race, I can choose between Cat 4/5, Cat 3/4, or masters. I'm considering this race: https://www.bikereg.com/Net/15528 . Not interested in the Cat 4/5 race (I want the wall ), so it's between 3/4 and masters 40+. Between the two, the masters race distance (12 km shorter) is a better match with my current/expected fitness level - but am I going to regret choosing it? I've read all the comments about masters fields being brutal, was wondering if there's regional variations or pretty much to be expected anywhere.
Old 04-03-12, 07:29 AM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by plantrob
...Between the two, the masters race distance (12 km shorter) is a better match with my current/expected fitness level - but am I going to regret choosing it? I've read all the comments about masters fields being brutal, was wondering if there's regional variations or pretty much to be expected anywhere.
Pretty much everywhere. A cat 1 is a cat 1. The distance won't be what gets you: it'll be the pace over that distance. Very much different than a cat 5 race: tactics, skills, fitness level. Everything.
Old 04-03-12, 08:25 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^with 7 races under your belt, you should be doing the 4/5.

but between the 3/4 and the 40+, definitely the 3/4. unless you won all of your cat 5 races by soloing away and finishing minutes ahead of the field, you'll get destroyed in the 40+, and probably will in the 3/4 as well.

i've done this race multiple times and will be there this year in the P12. i have team mates that could be in the P12 but opt for the 40+. that race will be fast from the start. it's a demanding race. the wall destroys legs, but the shallow grade over the top of it with the wind from the left is what destroys souls.
Old 04-03-12, 08:47 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sshhhh... MDcatV.

Don't listen to him plantrob. Do the Masters race. You'll be fine.

Report back.
Old 04-03-12, 09:33 AM
plantrob
a runner no more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like MDcatV is genuinely trying to scare me (probably with good reason), while wanders is sadistically hoping for an interesting report of shame and defeat in the Race Report Threat
I have a few weeks to think it over. One of my team mates (admittedly the strongest one) is racing the masters, which won't make much of a difference if I'm off the back in a jiffy...
Old 04-03-12, 09:38 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^i'm not trying to scare you or to be a dick, just providing my opinion given that i've been doing this a while, have done that specific race, know the folks that'll be at the pointy end of the 40+, mentor new racers, and know the difference between the abilities of the new racers and the masters racers.
Old 04-03-12, 10:03 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Ha. If you have to ask don't do the masters.
Old 04-03-12, 10:34 AM
45suited
Slave to my PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fact that you are considering the master race, since it is shorter and better suites your fitness, says you likely have no business being in that field. You are basically going from cat5 to trying to mix it up with 1 & 2's If you want to try that out, try it on somewhere where there is not a course feature that is going to be decisive. You are likely wasting your time by driving there and getting popped on the first lap.

Also, I looked at the start times, so you could try the 40+ and if you get popped, then do the 4/5 if it does not fill up. If you go that route, I would just pre reg for both.

Last edited by 45suited; 04-03-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-03-12, 11:19 AM
plantrob
a runner no more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MDcatV, that wasn't a dig in your direction - just my interpretation of the message you were sending (which is appreciated). I wasn't so sure of wanders' intentions

Originally Posted by 45suited
The fact that you are considering the master race, since it is shorter and better suites your fitness, says you likely have no business being in that field.
If the masters is indeed going to be so much more intense than the 3/4, then it does sound like the 3/4, even at the extra distance, may be the better choice. I would rather race 84k (masters) than 40k (4/5) - just wasn't sure about that extra 12k (3/4), which takes me beyond my training ride distances.

Originally Posted by 45suited
Also, I looked at the start times, so you could try the 40+ and if you get popped, then do the 4/5 if it does not fill up. If you go that route, I would just pre reg for both.
That's a good thought - thanks.
Old 04-03-12, 12:14 PM
plantrob
a runner no more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a look at last year's results. The 3/4 race was a bit faster than the masters 40+ race - at least judging by the time/lap of the winners:

masters 40+: 19:12/lap (8 laps)
cat 3/4: 18:38/lap (9 laps)
P1234: 17:53/lap (10 laps)

As they say - past results do not guarantee future performance; but they choose to start the masters after the cat 3/4, which would suggest that the organizers believe the 3/4 will be faster. Of course average speed doesn't paint the whole picture...
Old 04-03-12, 12:54 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My second race ever was a Masters race. I had just finished my first race- a 4/5 on banked .5 mile track. I asked the race official if I could race even though I was only a cat 5.

He let me.

It was a combined field of 30+ and 40+ with the 40ers having red dots on their numbers. The 40+ paid 3 deep and I only saw 3 other red dots beside myself. I took a look at this one guy who appear to be in his 60's and thought to myself "Alright! All I have to do is follow this old goat around for 45 minutes, sprint past him at the end and I'm in the money."

After I got lapped for the seventh time, I quit counting.
Old 04-03-12, 01:16 PM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wanders - lol.

i remember the 1st masters crit i ever did, real crit, not industrial park crit. i was a 4. about 5 laps in i was the last guy in the shrinking thin line of racers that was the race. when ramon benitez and others lapped me, i rode off the course, up the garage ramp to my car, put my bike in the trunk, took my shoes off, and drove home. i've come a long ways.

plantrob - if you do the 40+, pic of Ramon is below. All you'll have to do is follow him and sprint around him at the end.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fieldsprint1.jpg (82.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-03-12, 01:22 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
Wanders - lol.

i remember the 1st masters crit i ever did, real crit, not industrial park crit. i was a 4. about 5 laps in i was the last guy in the shrinking thin line of racers that was the race. when ramon benitez and others lapped me, i rode off the course, up the garage ramp to my car, put my bike in the trunk, took my shoes off, and drove home. i've come a long ways.

plantrob - if you do the 40+, pic of Ramon is below. All you'll have to do is follow him and sprint around him at the end.

Sounds pretty straightforward. I'm going to try that with gsteinb next time.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-03-12, 01:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Ha. If you have to ask don't do the masters.
+1

Don't let the "masters" title fool you. They are still very much 3/4 racers.

Last edited by carleton; 04-03-12 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-03-12, 01:29 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Plantrop,

I'm a 52 year old Cat 3. I race both my category and Masters ( sometimes doubling up, sometimes picking the one that fits my schedule)

A 3/4 race is definitely going to be easier than Masters 40+.

The Master's race is essentially a P 1/2/3 race, with guys a few years older.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-03-12, 01:38 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Lol.

Ramon Benitz was the number one ranked masters rider in the country.
That list is a who's who in NE masters racing.

Masters racing is far more tactical meaning overall time may be slower but there will be decisive moments where your day is done.

Originally Posted by plantrob
Took a look at last year's results. The 3/4 race was a bit faster than the masters 40+ race - at least judging by the time/lap of the winners:

masters 40+: 19:12/lap (8 laps)
cat 3/4: 18:38/lap (9 laps)
P1234: 17:53/lap (10 laps)

As they say - past results do not guarantee future performance; but they choose to start the masters after the cat 3/4, which would suggest that the organizers believe the 3/4 will be faster. Of course average speed doesn't paint the whole picture...
Old 04-03-12, 01:41 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Sounds pretty straightforward. I'm going to try that with gsteinb next time.
I'm usually with Ramon.
Old 04-03-12, 01:58 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i from a personal standpoint, i would like to read the race report if you do decide to do the master's race.
Old 04-03-12, 02:07 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

One more resume item: Dave Taylor was the number one ranked cat 2 road racer in the country in 2010. In 2009 he, I, and one other storied masters RRer were the break at the tour of high bridge.
Old 04-03-12, 02:13 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing to remember is that the higher cat races (road races) usually start off at a much slower docile pace and then all hell will break loose so looking at average pace is very misleading. The first half may be at 21 mph then its go time with a finish of 26+ - makes the average look like a 23.5 but that would be very misleading. Did a crit a while back and most of the race was at a 24 (highly technical crit) - when I bridged the gap to the leaders I jumped at 30+ then went 28 lap after lap (corner crit i think) - ig difference between the two paces if you want to be a contender.
Old 04-03-12, 02:16 PM
plantrob
a runner no more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
i from a personal standpoint, i would like to read the race report if you do decide to do the master's race.
OK, I'll commit to reporting on the results, whatever race I decide on entering and however humiliating the result
Old 04-03-12, 03:06 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm usually with Ramon.
We both beat him at Thater. Certainly the highlight of my career.

OP, one thing. Don't be fooled by what a Master declares as their category. Many of them used to be pros, 1's, and 2's, and downgraded to Cat3. They race Masters to race, and race Cat3 to win. They will crush 20 year old souls.
Old 04-03-12, 06:17 PM
saba
On Tralfmadore

Bikes: T1, Absolutist, VisionLight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And if you go masters you also get to meet Ramon and other masters racers "rubber band treatment," which you will enjoy thoroughly. Racing is also about learning and all of those guys have things to teach us up and comers, go get your race on, win some lose some rinse and repeat.
Old 04-03-12, 08:06 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Yesterday I was chatting some on an easy team ride with a new and pretty talented Cat 5 on our team. He was telling me how he won a race. It involved the Cat 5 field and a Masters 60+ field that started separately, but the officials screwed up and the fields eventually merged. He was smart enough to latch onto Dave Viney's wheel when DV finally decided that he had had enough. Eventually he couldn't hold his wheel any longer, but by that time he was so far in front of his Cat 5 race that he could limp home for the victory.
Old 04-04-12, 08:54 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's another data point, not that you need it. A 40+ teammate of mine, who races P/1/2, M35+ and M40+, but focuses locally on the M40+ season championship, is a sprinter who can crank out 1600w.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.