Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Sale: Madone 4.5 vs Domane 4.5 ~$200 difference?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-26-13, 07:40 PM
Bikeisdusty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Madone or Domane? These have basically the same builds, but $200 difference. Worth it or not?
Old 07-26-13, 07:53 PM
Beast Mode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You pay more for the difference in frames. The Domane has features that are supposed to make the ride more comfortable: seat tube partially isolated from the rest of the frame so it works almost like suspension, a fork that is supposed to absorb more vibrations, and a higher head tube.

I ride an H2 fit Madone, and it's comfortable enough for me. Haven't tried the Domane though...
Old 07-26-13, 07:54 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, they are different frames with different geometries. The Madone is a bit more aggressive geometry wise, and a little less comfort oriented. The Domane has a more relaxed geometry and is a bit more comfort oriented. I am sure with the right tires/pressures the Madone would ride pretty well, but personally I like the Domane a lot as I put a premium on comfort.
Old 07-26-13, 08:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The steering on the Domane is actually pretty much the same as the Madone...the trail is very very close. The IsoSpeed unit in the frame is the main thing...it REALLY improves ride quality. Bottom line...ride them both. You'll feel a difference. Whether it's worth it or not isn't something that anyone here can tell you. Some decisions you just have to make for yourself.
Old 07-27-13, 07:20 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I was in this same boat starting around April of this year. I test road both the Madone 4.5 and Domane 4.5 multiple times. 20-30 mile rides.

The Domane does soak up more vibration that the Madone. But for me the Madone with the H2 fit was plenty comfortable.

I just couldn't fall in love with the Domane seatpost coupler. Plus I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker so I wanted something much more sporty.

I have had my Madone now for two months. Got it during the Trek fest for $1,999. The Domane was not on sale so the price difference was even bigger at the time.
Old 07-27-13, 08:27 PM
Pantani98

Bikes: yes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through the same thing. I was debating on both so I went and test road each back to back. I agree, the IsoSpeed and geometry help smooth out the bumps. Both are definitely very nice rides. I ended up picking up my Madone 5.2 this afternoon and love it! You can't go wrong with either. Hell, if it's good enough for Schleck and Cancellara it's good enough for us mere mortals.
Old 07-28-13, 04:45 AM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
That difference is so negligible that you'll kick yourself forever if you make the wrong decision based on price. Go with your preference. If you don't feel a difference in comfort or performance, then you have an answer IMO.
Old 07-28-13, 10:11 AM
gundom66

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you looking for? Comfort? Ride quality? For comfort, I found the 4.5 Domane better than the 4.5 Madone. I didn't like the handling on the Domane though. Too me it was quirky... not as stable as the Madone. I found both in the form of a 2012 5.2 Madone. Yes, to me, the 5.2 was more comfortable than the 4.5 Domane. If you want a better experience on the ISO-Coupler, test ride at least a 5.2. I'm telling you, having a seatpost inserted in the seat tube only gave a slight advantage in comfort between the two 4.5's. You will really feel the "shocks" working on the one-piece seat tube of the 5 and 6 Series Domanes. If you ended up getting the 4.5 Domane and want more "shock", you can get the Specialized COBL GOBL-R seat post.
Old 07-28-13, 06:01 PM
oespinoza83
burp

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madone. But then again, I like the aggressiveness. Comfortable also with a professional fit.
Old 07-28-13, 07:18 PM
Bikeisdusty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went with the Domane, the shops around here are sold out of the Madone. It seems that Trek is short supply on the Madone as it has been on sale all summer. The Madone 4.5 is no longer on sale as of today. They have added the 4.7 in its place.

I am pretty impressed. It rides much better than my old aluminum ride.

Bill
Old 07-28-13, 07:18 PM
Pantani98

Bikes: yes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from my first ride on my Madone 5.2. One word: AWESOME! The bike rides great, is smooth, comfortable, climbs like a machine, race geometry, and the list goes on. You'll love either bike you get. My $.02, I couldn't be more excited about getting my Madone.
Old 07-29-13, 03:56 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I just bought a Madone 4.5 and read just about every article and review out there and the test rides pretty much matched the reviews. Both are comfortable bikes, Madone handles a little better and in my case where maybe 100 miles is the most I'll ride in one day the Madone delivered better performance not to mention that I got the bike for $1999 so the cost difference make the decision easier. Ride both and buy the most comfortable, if you ride a lot then $200 is nothing in the long run.