Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tires for wet weather riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 05:36 PM
mstraus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My current tires don't seem to have great grip in wet weather (during rain or after rain when roads are still wet) so I am looking for a new set of tires for the rainy season here (aka winter).

Ideally I want something that
1) is very puncture resistance (I ride recreationally and commute so flats are a real bummer)
2) has good grip, wet and dry
3) Doesn't weight a ton, but doesn't need to be ultra light

I am less concerned with price then, and the above are more important to me then long term durability from normal wear.

I am planning to get 23 mm, but since I plan to use these winter only I might consider something a little bit wider if it would improve wet weather traction (assuming my bike can handle it, probably 25mm is about the most it would take).

I expect I would swap tires out at the end of the rain season to my current tires.

Any suggestions on tires that have great wet weather traction is appreciated.
Old 11-11-13, 05:49 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I'm using Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tires and they work well. Another tire I've heard good things about but haven't tried is the Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-11-13, 06:03 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I'm using the Vredestein Volante Tricomp. Great all around tire, probably about as good as you'll get for what you're looking for. Easy to pop the bead on and off as well. I just picked up another set at Performance for $29.95 each.
Old 11-11-13, 06:15 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been very happy with the stickiness and puncture resistance of Maxxis Re-fuses in the past. But, they're not long lasting, heavy and comparatively slow rolling. But, cheap.

I'm currently using Conti GP 4 Seasons in 25mm and 28mm. I'm reasonably happy with their adhesion in the wet, have yet to suffer a flat with them and suspect they'll last a little longer than the Re-fuses did. But, they're more costly.

I've also been happy with the adhesion of Michelin Optimum Pros. But, those are probably more of a dry weather performance tire and they're not long lasting at all.

Despite online and personal recommendations, I was immensely unhappy with Vittoria Rubino Pros. But, have not tried the Rubino Pro Tech. The normal Rubino Pro were amongst the slipperiest tires I've used. They were hard. But, long lasting. I kept wishing they would die so I could replace them. One of them still remains in the garage as a "when all else fails" and I haven't got a replacement on hand tire.

Amongst those that I've tried, I would give Conti GP 4 Seasons the nod for best combo of traction, puncture resistance, life expectancy and weight. Just at a slight cost premium.
Old 11-11-13, 08:11 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
road bike tires don't disperse water like an automobile, so providing your tires are in decent condition to begin with, lower tire pressures when it rains will have the largest impact. as for puncture resistance, gatorskins and rubino pros worked fine for me. try either in 25mm sizes as you can run lower pressures and achieve more comfort.
Old 11-11-13, 08:15 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
What are your idea of good flat protection? The above mentioned Conti GP Season is a good wet whether tire and has decent protection for a road tire, but it is meant to be an all trainer and not a commuter. I use use them as my winter tires in 25mm and like them quite a bit.
Old 11-11-13, 10:10 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Michelin says you have to be going 120 mph for a 23 mm to hydroplane.

https://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...oothtread.view
Old 11-11-13, 10:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Best year-round tires I've used are the PRO4 Endurance. Best sticking flat resistant tire I've ever used. I've run Rubino Pro Tech and while they were very flat resistant, they didn't stick well in the wet. I've heard the latest ones are a different, better rubber but I haven't tried them. Conti 4000s stick well in the wet, but I had way too many flats with them. Like maybe 20 during the course of one winter, so not just a couple random flats. Zero flats with the Endurance tires.
Old 11-12-13, 05:23 AM
revchuck 
OMC

I've flatted Michelin Krylions, the predecessor to the Pro 4 Endurance. I've also flatted Gatorskins. No tire is flat-proof, but the Krylions/Pro 4 Endurance tires are as flat-resistant as any, and stick better than most. I also race on them, and I'm not alone in that.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-12-13, 07:48 AM
Jay Olson

Bikes: Sarto Asola, Colnago EPS, Specialized Crux Sport E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the past, I have used the Continental GP 4-Seasons and Vittoria Pave as winter tires. The 4-Seasons were quite good, and the Vittorias not as much. Now, I am trying out the Panaracer Pasela in 25mm. I bought them because my GP4000s got cut up quite a bit in gravel. The Paselas seem to be quite durable, and they have a good reputation as a commuting tire. They are also quite reasonably priced.
Old 11-12-13, 09:27 AM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GP 4-seasons, I love them so much I use them year round.
Old 11-20-13, 05:36 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc
GP 4-seasons, I love them so much I use them year round.
So I have heard many good things about the GP 4-seasons and plan to get a pair. I have heard that they run "Small" so a 25mm is really a 23mm, etc. Have people noticed this? How small do they run?

Trying to decide how big I should order.
Old 11-20-13, 05:50 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstraus
So I have heard many good things about the GP 4-seasons and plan to get a pair. I have heard that they run "Small" so a 25mm is really a 23mm, etc. Have people noticed this? How small do they run?

I have a pair of GP4seasons mounted to DT Swiss 585s on my priamry bike right now. 25mm front / 28mm rear, inflated to 8bar/116psi, front measures 25.5mm and the rear 28mm. So, at least in my case they're pretty close to advertised size. Not sure of the inside width of the 585 rims.
Old 11-20-13, 05:52 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Best year-round tires I've used are the PRO4 Endurance.
+1
Old 11-20-13, 06:16 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by mstraus

My 700x25 Gatorskins measure 24.3mm wide on Open Pro rims at 90f/100r. I'd go with bigfred's measurements, though, since he's got the tires you're asking about. I just wonder if the higher pressures he's running increase the tire width.

As for size, go with the 25s. Lots of advantages, no downsides...assuming your frame accepts them (most do).

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-20-13, 06:24 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by revchuck
My 700x25 Gatorskins measure 24.3mm wide on Open Pro rims at 90f/100r. I'd go with bigfred's measurements, though, since he's got the tires you're asking about. I just wonder if the higher pressures he's running increase the tire width.

As for size, go with the 25s. Lots of advantages, no downsides...assuming your frame accepts them (most do).
I suspect that inflation pressure has an effect.

But, also, that people tend to measure their tires when they first install them. I've noticed that most mine seem to stretch or grow a bit over the first week-10days then maintain that size for their lifespan.

Just my experience. YMMV
Old 11-20-13, 06:55 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like my bike could take 25s based on the clearance. My only concerns is getting the tire on and off when inflated as clearing the brakes seems to be the closest part. I tend to run fairly high pressure...maybe too high from what I have been reading recently.
Old 11-20-13, 07:15 PM
revchuck 
OMC

My 700x25 Michelin Krylions measure 26.7mm wide, and they need some encouragement to get past the brake pads when inflated. I don't remember the Gatorskins being a problem (not currently using them).

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-20-13, 08:32 PM
NattyBumpo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
Michelin says you have to be going 120 mph for a 23 mm to hydroplane.

https://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...oothtread.view
The rule of thumb is that dynamic hydroplaning occurs at nine times the square root of tire pressure (9*√psi). For a 100 psi tire, that comes to 90 mph. Dynamic hydroplaning is why they put tread on car tires, but it isn't the only cause of loss of control in the rain. Asphalt's coefficient of friction goes down when wet, so lateral loads are more likely to cause slippage, even if the tire remains in full contact with the pavement.

I love my Veloflex tires. Very grippy, confidence inspiring, even in the wet. And they 'sing' like tubulars. But the natural trade-off of the grippy rubber is shorter tire life. When Vittoria sold out to the Taiwanese, the guys who worked at the old factory bought the place, changed the brand name and kept building quality hand-made Italian tires. Pharmstrong always rode Veloflex tubulars, rebranded by his tire sponsor, Hutchinson, because he thought they were more uniform than Conti tubulars.
Old 11-21-13, 07:33 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
The Challenge Forte is an Italian handmade open tubular 23c with a wet weather specific tread pattern:

Old 11-21-13, 08:11 PM
canam73

"Open tubular". That's rich.
Old 11-21-13, 08:19 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Apparently it's a race-specific tire with no flat protection, not what the OP is looking for.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-21-13, 08:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by canam73
"Open tubular". That's rich.
Well, if you don't know what it means, you could ask...
Old 11-21-13, 08:31 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by revchuck
Apparently it's a race-specific tire with no flat protection, not what the OP is looking for.
It does have flat protection. Per the manufacturer:

Puncture Protection Strip (PPS): An extra layer of uniquely crafted fabric with highly resistant properties sits between the casing and the tire to reduce the risk of punctures. Tires intended for use in intense conditions with a high puncture risk are reinforced with a second PPS layer beneath the casing.

Granted, it doesn't meet the OP's request for "very flat resistant," but it's a bad assed tire.
Old 11-21-13, 08:42 PM
canam73

Originally Posted by chaadster
Well, if you don't know what it means, you could ask...
If that was issue I would have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.