Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Continental Terra Speed and Terra Trail

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Continental Terra Speed and Terra Trail

Old 03-13-20, 07:29 AM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Funny that Conti puts arrow on the TS, but not the GP5K that has directional-ish "tread" does not.
Mounted the Conti TS "40c" tires on 24mm internal rims, which is about as big as they get here; they measure 39mm. These are 38c tires at best, 37c would be most accurate. These are a full size down from 40c, it's visually obvious. That few mm might not seem like a big deal, but that the difference between carving through some surfaces and floating over it.
Old 03-13-20, 07:41 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
These are a full size down from 40c, it's visually obvious. That few mm might not seem like a big deal, but that the difference between carving through some surfaces and floating over it.
The only thing I can figure is maybe Continental calls them 40mm because they flatten out more at the contact point making them perform like a 40mm tire, although I haven't seen anything that supports that.
Old 03-13-20, 10:08 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Funny that Conti puts arrow on the TS, but not the GP5K that has directional-ish "tread" does not.
Mounted the Conti TS "40c" tires on 24mm internal rims, which is about as big as they get here; they measure 39mm. These are 38c tires at best, 37c would be most accurate. These are a full size down from 40c, it's visually obvious. That few mm might not seem like a big deal, but that the difference between carving through some surfaces and floating over it.
All of the GP5Ks I've had (four sets) have had directional arrows (it's on the drive side). They go the same way the 4Ks did, with the "tread" sweeping back.
Old 03-13-20, 08:39 PM
nellborg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two things: Firstly, these Terra Speeds are 39mm on 22mm ID rims. Too small. Conti messed up, but it's a good start because I've got 50 miles on mine and they are otherwise nice tires. They should make a set in the range of 42-44mm's which is what the vast majority of us would be using. Hopefully, that's coming.

Secondly, as far as the directional arrow, it could be related to the tread pattern or to the casing layup. Trek did research on the directionality of casing layup and how it affects rolling resistance. https://blog.trekbikes.com/en/2019/0...-and-training/
Old 03-16-20, 09:50 AM
jfranci3

Directional casing (as it relates to rolling resistance) is nonsense. I think they meant it is rotated relative to the tire (think latitude/longitude) not to tire spin direction. I did see something interesting... tread splice. There's an overlap of the rubber built into the rubber (and I assume other bits); you want it to tighten, not loosen.
Old 03-16-20, 09:56 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by nellborg
Too small. Conti messed up
I think they're awesome. They did great at The Mid South, I finished with no tire issues. Enough grip in the mud and narrow enough to not build up. And they're supple enough to feel like 42s on the hard pack. I love this tire.
Old 03-16-20, 05:56 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Mine at 40 psi with less than 20 miles on GRX wheels (21mm internal if i recall?) close enough to spec for me.
Can't wait to start logging some miles soon, I have enjoyed so far.

Likes For GravelGurty:
Old 03-17-20, 09:20 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
The only thing I can figure is maybe Continental calls them 40mm because they flatten out more at the contact point making them perform like a 40mm tire, although I haven't seen anything that supports that.
Sometimes they under size tires save weight making them seem lighter than comparable tires (that might actually be 42mm). It also allows them to be compatible with more frames. Doesn't bother me, as long as I know it before buying them!
Likes For chas58:
Old 03-20-20, 07:18 AM
Rides4Beer

Don't care if they're a mil or two under spec, they're fast and grip well, works for me. FWIW, my Terra Trails measure a bit wider, just a hair under 40mm. But the Speeds will be my goto from now on.
Old 04-01-20, 03:49 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by Planemaker
Were they easy to mount?
Looking forward to your ride results.

Awright, I bit the bullet...

These things "roll fast" although I'm not sure I can feel the 3-4 watts difference in resistance compared to any other high end tire gravel tire. Not as swift as the GP5000 obviously (8 watts vs 22 watts).

Its dynamic performance does impress me.
I would not call the ride "supple" (although you could). What surprises me is not how soft it is, but how well damped the ride is. Putting a pair of these on is like going from an aluminum bike to a steel bike. I still feel the road, but the vibrations are very well damped. Its not so much a "twang" but more a "thump".

Its even more noticeable riding on a freshly graded road (with class 5 gravel chunks). It just smooths out the chunky ride. For grins, I've been riding at 70psi rear, and it feels as harsh as a 25 psi tire. Crazy.

The other thing that surprises me is the handling. Even at 30psi on the road, it is responsive, and carves a very nice turn with plenty of traction and no slippage or walking from the knobs. Yet off road it handles like a good gravel tire. Its very well rounded.

The vibration dampening and the consistent performance across multiple surfaces are impressive.

Yeah, they are labeled 40mm, but are 38mm. They are 2mm smaller than 40mm Ramblers or G-Ones. They are the same size as 38mm Ramblers.

Mounted up much, much easier than the 32mm GP5000 (which did not like my rims and took 2 professionals 30 minutes to mount). Work either hookless or hooked (unlike the GP5000). I road them for a couple of days before I got around to putting sealant in them. Held air nicely.

Last edited by chas58; 04-01-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 04:33 PM
jfranci3

Originally Posted by chas58
Awright, I bit the bullet...

These things "roll fast" although I'm not sure I can feel the 3-4 watts difference in resistance compared to any other high end tire gravel tire. Not as swift as the GP5000 obviously (8 watts vs 22 watts).

Its dynamic performance does impress me.
I would not call the ride "supple" (although you could). What surprises me is not how soft it is, but how well damped the ride is. Putting a pair of these on is like going from an aluminum bike to a steel bike. I still feel the road, but the vibrations are very well damped. Its not so much a "twang" but more a "thump".

Its even more noticeable riding on a freshly graded road (with class 5 gravel chunks). It just smooths out the chunky ride. For grins, I've been riding at 70psi rear, and it feels as harsh as a 25 psi tire. Crazy.
1) you’re not reading the test right/you’re commingling data that can’t be directly commingled.
The tests have different parameters and used different equipment. The 8w gp5k was at 120psi TL in one test and the 22psi was at 50psi tubes in another. At 60psi in that same test was closer to 12w on the GP5k. To roughly bridge the data, you need to look at BRR’s test of the One v-guard which was at 14w in BRRs test and 17w in the other - putting our GP5K at 15w. Now you need to take the tube out of the Terra Speed which is about 1w. Apples to apples, you’re looking at 6w disadvantage to the gravel tire rolling. Aero drag, you’re looking at about 15w at 25mph (1.5mph)

2) the reason it ride the same is that you’re stretching the crap out of the sidewall.
Old 04-01-20, 05:35 PM
chas58

1) you’re not reading the test right/you’re commingling data that can’t be directly commingled.
The tests have different parameters and used different equipment. The 8w gp5k was at 120psi TL in one test and the 22psi was at 50psi tubes in another. At 60psi in that same test was closer to 12w on the GP5k. To roughly bridge the data, you need to look at BRR’s test of the One v-guard which was at 14w in BRRs test and 17w in the other - putting our GP5K at 15w. Now you need to take the tube out of the Terra Speed which is about 1w. Apples to apples, you’re looking at 6w disadvantage to the gravel tire rolling. Aero drag, you’re looking at about 15w at 25mph (1.5mph)

2) the reason it ride the same is that you’re stretching the crap out of the sidewall.
ROLF. You crack me up, telling me what I am doing when you don't know me or what I am doing. I guess bored people like to argue???

Speed wise, my terraspeeds roll similar to my Gatorskins, which isn't too far off from my rambler in real world usage. The GP5000 is in a different league. I dunno, we can argue fine points all day if we are bored, but my impressions stand. Your impressions may be different.
Old 04-02-20, 05:04 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Originally Posted by Planemaker
Were they easy to mount?
It will depend on the rim obviously, but mine were easy to mount by hand on Enve G23 wheels.
Old 04-02-20, 09:22 AM
shoota 

Ha, you made me google the definition of "supple", because everything you described would be my exact definition of a supple tire. Anyways, semantics aside it sounds like you like the tire as much as the rest of us. I rode mine on a mixed route again yesterday and I just flipping love them. By far the best gravel tire I've personally used yet.
Old 06-21-20, 09:23 PM
ICU Doc
Prodigal Son

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Cannondale CAAD10, Brompton

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are people's experience with removing the tires? Is it hard to break the bead?
It was tortuous to remove WTBs from my wheels. Made me realize that taking the tires off is actually a really important thing to consider
Old 06-22-20, 03:58 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Originally Posted by ICU Doc
What are people's experience with removing the tires? Is it hard to break the bead?
It was tortuous to remove WTBs from my wheels. Made me realize that taking the tires off is actually a really important thing to consider
It's very much going to depend on the rimset you put them on and your taping of the rim. Enve G23s it's not as easy as a road tube type tire, but it's certainly not tortuous, but i haven't had any real issues getting WTB Nano's off of these wheels either so perhaps not helpful in your question.
Old 06-22-20, 07:12 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by ICU Doc
No issues for me, brand new I can almost get them on by hand, used a single lever to finish the last part with minimal effort. Had to pull the rear and put a tube in on the trail, came off and went back on by hand, no problem.

I'll never run a tire/wheel combo that I can't work on alone when out on the trail/road.
Old 06-22-20, 12:33 PM
chas58

I'm realizing that a lot of the "tire" problems people complain about are really rim problems. There is a significant difference between my hookless carbon rims, and my Aluminum DT rims. Granted, back in the day with traditional tires, the tire/rim interface wasn't such a PITA.
Old 06-22-20, 08:37 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Anyone have the 35mm Terra Speed? I'm wondering how they measure up once mounted. I probably won't go for it if it comes in at 33mm the way the 40mm mounts a little narrower.

So do these mount easy on hookless rims?
Old 06-23-20, 09:51 AM
chas58

The 40mm version mounted fine hookless, unlike the GP5000 which was a friggen nightmare. If you want 35mm, what's wrong with the 40mm (which measures 38)?
Old 06-23-20, 10:04 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Anyone have the 35mm Terra Speed? I'm wondering how they measure up once mounted. I probably won't go for it if it comes in at 33mm the way the 40mm mounts a little narrower.

So do these mount easy on hookless rims?
My buddy has the 35mm version and they're something like 33-34mm measured. My 40mm are now 40mm measured after some miles. But they aren't very durable. This dry Summer heat has made the roads a little harsher and I counted no less than 19 pinholes in my rear tire yesterday. Nothing catastrophic yet though.
Likes For shoota:
Old 06-23-20, 10:13 AM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
My buddy has the 35mm version and they're something like 33-34mm measured. My 40mm are now 40mm measured after some miles. But they aren't very durable. This dry Summer heat has made the roads a little harsher and I counted no less than 19 pinholes in my rear tire yesterday. Nothing catastrophic yet though.
That is nuts re. 19 pinholes.

What wheels does your buddy have these mounted on (what inner width)?

Last edited by vinuneuro; 06-23-20 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-23-20, 01:11 PM
shoota 

What wheels does your buddy have these mounted on (what inner width)?
I think they're about 19mm ID. Basically, these tires are never going to balloon way out past their listed width.
Likes For shoota:
Old 06-23-20, 01:51 PM
chas58

Mine are pretty durable casing wise. I got pin holes all the time with my Ramblers, but these are pretty tight - about the same as Schwalbe G-One series. This is not a thin casing tire.
Likes For chas58:
Old 06-24-20, 07:37 AM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The 40mm version mounted fine hookless, unlike the GP5000 which was a friggen nightmare. If you want 35mm, what's wrong with the 40mm (which measures 38)?
I ride a first gen Diverge carbon. 35-36mm is the limit if you want to preserve mud clearance. It's amazing how much tire clearance has exploded since not that long ago.