Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

How Much Is My Early 1980's Diamondback Silver Streak BMX Worth?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 12:50 PM
miamibeachcg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

I made a sweet find at a local thrift store a few days ago; buying a early 1980'S Schwinn Predator + a 1984 Diamondback Silver Streak (I know this is a 1984 model because it has 'ABA No.1 Factory Team Diamond Back' decal on the Seatstay and a 'CHROMO MAIN TUBES' decal on the seat post tubes) - for $29.95 each!

I've found the Predator selling for around $150 - $200, but the Diamondback is going for $300 - $600! What exactly is my Silver Streak (Not the Silver Streak II) worth?

I appreciate any help!

[IMG]AA BICYCLE DIAMONDBACK BMX CHROME 1AAAA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr[/IMG]

AA BICYCLE DIAMONDBACK BMX CHROME 2AAA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE DIAMONDBACK BMX CHROME 2AAAB by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE DIAMONDBACK BMX CHROME 3AAA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE DIAMONDBACK BMX CHROME 3AAB by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

AA BICYCLE DIAMONDBACK BMX CHROME 4AAB by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

THIS IS THE SCHWINN PREDATOR I GOT AT THE SAME TIME

AA BICYCLE PREDATOR SCHWINN BMX 1A_A by miamibeachcg, on Flickr
Old 11-04-16, 01:10 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
The Schwinn is known with BMX guys by the nickname "Digital Predator" and "Space Invaders Predator" due to the graphics. You'll see it sometimes with yellow instead of red. I'd be guessing on value, but you seem to be about right. It's always sad to see a mint BMX from the 80's, as you know the kid really wanted a chemistry set or a doll. Those grips on the DB are "ODI Mushrooms" which are a pretty collectible thing themselves, but usually long worn out when you see them today.
Old 11-04-16, 01:15 PM
miamibeachcg

I sold the Predator today on Craigslist for $240 because I could see past sales & take into it that there were no eBay & paypal fees, but I don't know what the DB is worth - or what the difference is between the Silver Streak & the II?
Old 11-04-16, 05:24 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I don't get the pricing on these I would consider the Predator to be a nicer bike. The diamond back Silver Streak was mass produced entry level LBS BMX, fairly simple tig wlelded strait gage chro-mo framset with just Ok components. As presented with slightly rough chrome with some rust and welds that look a little sloppy I would say only $150.
Old 11-05-16, 09:48 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I don't get the pricing on these I would consider the Predator to be a nicer bike. The diamond back Silver Streak was mass produced entry level LBS BMX, fairly simple tig wlelded strait gage chro-mo framset with just Ok components. As presented with slightly rough chrome with some rust and welds that look a little sloppy I would say only $150.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Especially if it's a 1984 which is about one year too late for the big $ from what I have seen. Maybe the Silver Streak is like those mid-80s Hutch Trickstars. Not sure what the allure is but they bring crazy money.
Old 11-07-16, 03:10 AM
miamibeachcg

I didn't realize it but this is a Super Streak, not a Silver Streak - anyone know the difference & is it a good or bad difference?
Old 11-07-16, 06:20 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I don't think there was overlap between the 2 models. Super Streaks seemed to have replace Silver Streaks. You Super may be an '85 models. Buyers know what they're looking for, write a proper ad and let buyers decide market value. Your guesstimates are on the market. Pick a price, advertise it and see what happens.
Old 02-21-20, 02:05 PM
Jkose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Super streak

I know this is an old post but did you sell the diamond back and for how much? This was my very first bike as a kid and am interested in hunting one down. This thing looked amazingly clean.
Old 01-25-21, 12:21 PM
JOSHUASTJOHN

Bikes: DiamondBack 20-in

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamibeachcg
I didn't realize it but this is a Super Streak, not a Silver Streak - anyone know the difference & is it a good or bad difference?
Not really that super streak is more uncommon to find than the silver streak, which you can find every where.I don't know why people invest so much money in the Silver Streak they're not even rideable they're only 18 in I'd rather take the super streak over a silver streak any day
Old 04-22-22, 04:31 PM
osbmxuk

Bikes: Diamond Back Silver Streak

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Just for reference. The Super Streak is a Taiwanese made bike, nice, but not as desirable as the classic Japanese / Koizumi made Diamond Back Silver Streaks. Diamond Back were on a down hill slide at this point and this was the end of the road for them in race bike terms. Cost cutting, lower quality and cheaper components all contributed to a falling in status for the brand.