Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 12:12 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Centerlock shims cost about 10x what they should, but they eliminate caliper alignment issues.
Come to think of it, I remember seeing spacers that came with some rotors that I bought a couple years ago. Now, where the heck did I put them.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-22-20, 12:14 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Quick release or thru axle?
Quick release but I just remembered that I have spacers somewhere.

Old 02-22-20, 12:21 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That can be bothersome, but it's pretty easily fixed. Figure out which of the rotors is further inwards and get some shims to move it out to match the other. Once you take care of this, wheel swaps should be easy peasy.
Another advantage of disc brakes: it's much easier to adjust a rotor by a few micrometers than it is to adjust a rim by a few micrometers.
Old 02-22-20, 12:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Quick release but I just remembered that I have spacers somewhere.
Quick release tend to have a little more "slop" when it comes to positioning. That might be what you're seeing.
Old 02-22-20, 12:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
One solution might be to go down the road I'm going . . . . keep my old bike with my comfy rim brakes and let the new-fangled bikes with disc brakes sit on the merchant shelves. Will this "boycott" ever work, No, because so many folks just gotta have the latest and greatest bicycle cycle, and they're willing to put up with the maintenance complications. Call me a curmudgeon or whatever, but I enjoy riding my bikes the old fashioned way and I have no complaints.
Discs aren't really that new anymore. My disc brake "all road" bike is 4 or 5 years old.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-22-20, 12:51 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Discs aren't really that new anymore. My disc brake "all road" bike is 4 or 5 years old.
My Domane is a 2015, but I can't imagine replacing it in the next 5 years.

Last edited by noodle soup; 02-22-20 at 12:54 PM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-22-20, 02:54 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I haven't seen any alignment issues with the cassette when swapping wheels(disc or rim). I'm sure there are some hubs that aren't exactly identical, but the brakes wouldn't be the cause of the problem.
I had some Chris king hubs that I had to futz with every time I used them. Sold em and solved that problem.
Old 02-22-20, 03:11 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by colnago62
I had some Chris king hubs that I had to futz with every time I used them. Sold em and solved that problem.
Futz with how?
Old 02-22-20, 03:32 PM
colnago62

Futz with how?
Had to adjust the trim. The alignment was off just enough for the system to make a lot of noise and shifting as wonky.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 02-22-20, 04:04 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Argh - this got too much content when I am too busy (sun is out in Chicago so bikes are stopping by all day). So to summarize my responses, "you are incorrect." and "that is correct" - Apply whichever to whatever post makes you feel good.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-22-20, 04:08 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Very true. There is a quote of me in Cyclocross Magazine saying that disc would be ubiquitous in 4 years. That was in 2011 or 2012 IIRC. I had a disc bike within a few months of that article - First Disc Crux they made.

BUT....

The general enthusiast market didn't fully switch to disc until the last 3 years. So much so that all of us in the business of selling bike upgrades all saw our business plummet. 2018 Q4 Zipp didn't pull a single spoke from our supplier. Now that they have balanced out the buying for the last 3 years we are seeing the upgrade requests start to come back. That drop was because everyone wanting an upgrade was having to basically go buy a new bike because so much had changed. Bike sales numbers will plummet in the next 2-5 years as people start to settle in and just buy upgrades instead of new bikes.

Old 02-22-20, 04:18 PM
noodle soup

Had to adjust the trim. The alignment was off just enough for the system to make a lot of noise and shifting as wonky.
All I’m saying is that it’s no worse for disc brake vs rim brake.

There’s always an issue when swapping some wheelsets.
Old 02-22-20, 04:20 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

All I’m saying is that it’s no worse for disc brake vs rim brake.

There’s always an issue when swapping some wheelsets.
Correct.... for shifting. Brake wise - and i believe you guys addressed this earlier, is a complete crap show for swapping unless you get to a couple of sets you always use and take the time to shim them all and have rotors with roughly the same thickness and wear on them.

Old 02-22-20, 04:44 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Correct.... for shifting. Brake wise - and i believe you guys addressed this earlier, is a complete crap show for swapping unless you get to a couple of sets you always use and take the time to shim them all and have rotors with roughly the same thickness and wear on them.
At least it's possible to set the discs to line up with shims.

Cassette alignment is hit or miss when swapping between brands, and there's not much you can do about it. I suppose you could file the freehub body to make everything align perfectly.
Old 02-22-20, 05:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I recently got a new bike with hydraulic disc brakes. I like them a lot. They definitely stop better with less hand pressure. I cannot wait until SRAM comes out with cableless hydraulic brakes. As an added bonus, we get brake metrics on our Garmin.
Old 02-22-20, 06:01 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Hermes
I recently got a new bike with hydraulic disc brakes. I like them a lot. They definitely stop better with less hand pressure. I cannot wait until SRAM comes out with cableless hydraulic brakes.

Don't hold your breath waiting for those.
Old 02-22-20, 07:22 PM
colnago62

At least it's possible to set the discs to line up with shims.

Cassette alignment is hit or miss when swapping between brands, and there's not much you can do about it. I suppose you could file the freehub body to make everything align perfectly.
Which is why I brought this up; The plan I used to deal with the mismatch with cassettes is the same way I plan to deal with my 2nd pair of disc wheels. I will buy the same brand wheels. Solve the problem by not creating a problem.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 02-22-20, 07:44 PM
noodle soup

Which is why I brought this up; The plan I used to deal with the mismatch with cassettes is the same way I plan to deal with my 2nd pair of disc wheels. I will buy the same brand wheels. Solve the problem by not creating a problem.
I probably would have kept the CK hubs, and sold the other set. YMMV
Old 02-23-20, 12:12 AM
colnago62

I probably would have kept the CK hubs, and sold the other set. YMMV
Chris King hubs are good but very expensive to run and maintain. I run Shimano because they have so many different levels to choose from and every shop knows how to work on them. Chris King hubs require some proprietary equipment that not all shops have.
Old 02-23-20, 06:57 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Sure disks work better with carbon rims. Modulation is a bit better than with rim brakes but not all that much more powerful than my rim brakes on aluminum rims.

I think that the real benefit has to do with greater flexibility in frame design and tire clearance. Road bikes with disks can now easily use 30 or 32 or larger tires, blurring the difference between a gravel bike and a more traditional road bike. Swap tires and or wheel set and go gravel or swap back and ride road with more comfort.
Old 02-23-20, 08:34 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I guess that's the best solution. I'm considering the one-bike approach with a new gravel bike as the base. Take an example like a Jamis Renegade.. the 15mm shallow alloy wheelset it comes with, I'd use for the gravel routes I might choose to do (probably with the 40mm tires it comes with). These are Stan's brand wheels, I think with Neo Ultimate hubs? For road, I'd like to be able shop around for a set of wheels, though same-hub solution would be a Stan's Avion Pro wheelset that doesn't look too bad on paper except pricey.

Anyway, not to make this a Jamis/Stan's question, as similar thought process or dilemma with a number of bike brands (ie. the stock brand wheelset, included with complete bike, may not be the same brand you'd normally elect to specify for a 2nd wheelset). Cervelo eg. uses Easton, Scott uses Syncros.
Old 02-23-20, 08:35 AM
noodle soup

Chris King hubs require some proprietary equipment that not all shops have.
I'm surprised the shop you bought them from, didn't explain the pros and cons of CK hubs.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-23-20, 08:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I guess that's the best solution. I'm considering the one-bike approach with a new gravel bike as the base. Take an example like a Jamis Renegade.. the 15mm shallow alloy wheelset it comes with, I'd use for the gravel routes I might choose to do (probably with the 40mm tires it comes with). These are Stan's brand wheels, I think with Neo Ultimate hubs? For road, I'd like to be able shop around for a set of wheels, though same-hub solution would be a Stan's Avion Pro wheelset that doesn't look too bad on paper except pricey.

Anyway, not to make this a Jamis/Stan's question, as similar thought process or dilemma with a number of bike brands (ie. the stock brand wheelset, included with complete bike, may not be the same brand you'd normally elect to specify for a 2nd wheelset). Cervelo eg. uses Easton, Scott uses Syncros.
Too much compromise to avoid a potential problem that's easily remedied, IMO.

First, don't limit your wheel choice because of something that may or may not be a minor problem - the discs on my Domane's stock wheels were in agreement with my Assaults right off the bat (both CenterLock, though they don't always line up, according to the 'nets).

If they're not in agreement, you buy a set of shims, remove the lockring and rotor, pop on the required shims, put the rotor and lockring back on and confirm. Even if you don't quite get it right the first time, you're still talking less than 10 minutes per wheel.
Old 02-23-20, 08:59 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Too much compromise to avoid a potential problem that's easily remedied, IMO.
Disc alignment is a simple one time fix, but proper cassette alignment isn't as easy to fix.

If cassette alignment is the concern, I'd try before buying. Derailleur adjustments aren't a huge hassle, but I wouldn't want to do it every time I wanted to swap wheels.
Old 02-23-20, 09:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Disc alignment is a simple one time fix, but proper cassette alignment isn't as easy to fix.

If cassette alignment is the concern, I'd try before buying. Derailleur adjustments aren't a huge hassle, but I wouldn't want to do it every time I wanted to swap wheels.
Ah. Yeah, that hasn't been much of an issue for me, either. A few clicks of the barrel adjuster, that's about it. I also didn't swap wheels that frequently - the 28/30s that I normally ride on pavement are fine for shorter jaunts on gravel/dirt. I really only swap out when it's going to be a ride with significant gravel, which is more of an event ride, for me/in my area. Now that I have the R3, I'll just be using different bikes.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.