Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Specialized touring pedals value?

Old 02-09-20, 06:56 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Specialized touring pedals value?

I've been debating about parting ways with my Specialized touring pedals.

Specifically, these: VeloBase.com - Component: Specialized Touring, SP-PL-T

They're in great shape, although the plates are faded and they could use a little polishing. They spin nicely.

Thing is, I know people love these things as much as I do, literally, they're NEVER for sale anywhere. What's a fair-to-both-parties shipped price on a good pair?

Old 02-10-20, 07:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
The C&V market is thin and there is considerable variation depending on where you sell items (eBay, size of the city, etc.). But the market for this item is thin even by C&V standards. I have a set of the racing versions of these and they are fine pedals.

You need to find a comparable, I'd price them around the price of campy pedals. The question is do you price them around campy NR or SR. But I'd get a sense of eBay prices on these and price it somewhere in that neighborhood. You'll have to put them on the 'Bay to get top dollar for them. I don't think high priced vintage stuff moves too much here.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-10-20, 09:05 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
As for function, those look like they would work pretty much like the SR SP-155 pedals that Miyata used in the late 80s. I recently bought a pair of the SR SP-155s without clips and straps for $32 including shipping. I would be willing to pay a bit more for the specialized because of style -- not only are they nice and wide and good for the purpose, they are handsome pedals. I would consider $40 fair. Or, a trade for a French thread NR headset, if I can figure it out.

edit: I was curious about the Specialized pedal bearings. Apparently, they are cup and cone, as are those of the SR pedals.
Old 02-10-20, 03:13 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by desconhecido
edit: I was curious about the Specialized pedal bearings. Apparently, they are cup and cone, as are those of the SR pedals.
Ok, what both of you are saying is roughly where I am, I was planning to toss them out there at $45 shipped.

I'm needing to buy a hard to find part on a project and need to build up the slush fund, it's spendier than I'd hoped.

Old 02-16-20, 07:04 PM
bsehorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a pair of these I basically gave away at a swap when no one bought them.
Old 02-25-20, 03:13 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Ok, what both of you are saying is roughly where I am, I was planning to toss them out there at $45 shipped.

I'm needing to buy a hard to find part on a project and need to build up the slush fund, it's spendier than I'd hoped.
If these pedals are still available, I'd definitely be interested in buying them.

Also, what part(s) are you looking to find for your project?
Old 02-25-20, 08:22 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by squarenoise
If these pedals are still available, I'd definitely be interested in buying them.

Also, what part(s) are you looking to find for your project?
​​​​​​
Keep eyes peeled on the C&V Sales forum, I want to try and get them up this week if I can manage during what's turning into an insane work week.

On the hard-to-find part. Been looking for a pantographed stem for my Coppi. Another BF'er has one, but the price is steep. It's almost identical to this one, although the font on the stem doesn't match the Coppi panto'd seat post I have which is in this stylized font, along with all my frame's decals.

Still, at this point, I'd like to rebuild the slush fund so the one I can actually get my hands on remains available.

Old 02-25-20, 09:14 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

​​​​​​
Keep eyes peeled on the C&V Sales forum, I want to try and get them up this week if I can manage during what's turning into an insane work week.

On the hard-to-find part. Been looking for a pantographed stem for my Coppi. Another BF'er has one, but the price is steep. It's almost identical to this one, although the font on the stem doesn't match the Coppi panto'd seat post I have which is in this stylized font, along with all my frame's decals.

Still, at this point, I'd like to rebuild the slush fund so the one I can actually get my hands on remains available.
Okay, I've been a member for awhile, learning a lot from these threads, but not familiar with the marketplace area. Could I buy the pedals from you directly? No pressure, just trying to figure this stuff out.

And holy WOW on that panto Stem!!! Absolutely Beautiful!
Old 02-25-20, 09:39 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by squarenoise
Okay, I've been a member for awhile, learning a lot from these threads, but not familiar with the marketplace area.
I usually hang out over in the C&V forum: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

Pinned to the top of the C&V forum is a special vintage-oriented Sales subforum: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/

Not to be confused with the general all-year "Marketplace" forum in the top menu bar here: https://www.bikeforums.net/market-place/

Lots of places to buy/sell here. I usually prefer posting publicly because getting pics up is easier (can't PM w/pics attached).

Likes For francophile:
Old 02-25-20, 09:48 PM
squarenoise 

I usually hang out over in the C&V forum
Thanks so much for the links! Just figured out I can "subscribe" so hopefully that'll help me catch it when it's live. Cheers! -Matt