Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 02-26-20, 12:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22512 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Too rich for my blood.
We ended up not going as mrs datlas is a little under the weather. I highly recommend the place for lunch, you can have an amazing lunch there for $45-70/person which is expensive but a good value for a special occasion. We never went there for dinner where I suspect the cost would easily be double that.
Old 02-26-20, 12:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Absolutely
How about sprinting away from a line of cars at a green light and going down on black ice in the middle of the intersection? That's how you die of embarrassment.
Old 02-26-20, 12:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by bampilot06
be careful had my first wipe out due to wet roads this morning. It involved the rear brake.
I hope you are ok.

We has a small group of just 4 riders. Several of the usual suspects are out of town or had other commitments. Only casualty was one flat tire. There is an open metal grate bridge on the route, the far left of which is paved, so we slowed down and went far left safely. If there had been oncoming cars I would have yelled for everyone to dismount and walk across.

Wet metal is no bueno.
Old 02-26-20, 12:27 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by LowCel
I completed my first Zwift training plan Monday night, a six week plan to increase FTP. I managed to complete every workout. My FTP is no longer a negative number.
Ride On!
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-26-20, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,283 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
We ended up not going as mrs datlas is a little under the weather.
Any foreign travel recently?

And what veggie stuff do they have their. Too bad you don't eat fish. Vernick Fish was worth the nearly $100 lunch bill. (One appetizer, two entrees, a coffee and no alcohol.)
Old 02-26-20, 12:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The last couple days, I've been frustrated because I haven't had much of an opportunity to be productive. Today, I have an opportunity to be productive, but I just want to sit on my ass and eat bonbons.

It's really unfortunate that we don't have any bonbons.
Old 02-26-20, 01:08 PM
indyfabz

The Girl Scout Cookies I bought were $0.25/cookie. Did I get ripped off?
Old 02-26-20, 01:27 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Saw a jerk dad in Whole Foods yesterday. Son (looks to be about 6) accidentally runs over dad's foot with their empty cart. Dad explodes and pushes the cart at the kind, yanking it back just before it hits him and yells and the kid. He then rides the kid for a couple of minutes about the incident with a mean look on his face. Kid is in tears by now. While dad's back is turned, big sis, who appears to be about 8, gives him a comforting hug that seems to whisper "I o.k.. Dad is an ass."

Of course, I don't have kids. So what do I know?
Yay, big sis.
Old 02-26-20, 01:29 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The last couple days, I've been frustrated because I haven't had much of an opportunity to be productive. Today, I have an opportunity to be productive, but I just want to sit on my ass and eat bonbons.

It's really unfortunate that we don't have any bonbons.
No bonbons here either, but we have gummy bears.
Old 02-26-20, 01:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Any foreign travel recently?

And what veggie stuff do they have their. Too bad you don't eat fish. Vernick Fish was worth the nearly $100 lunch bill. (One appetizer, two entrees, a coffee and no alcohol.)
No foreign travel. This was domestically acquired.

Morimoto does not have a ton of veg options, but I can get veg tempura with rice, a salad, and sweet potato tempura roll. That’s enough for me. I go because it’s my husbandly duty. Would rather eat at the hole in the wall middle eastern place off South St on 4th St. Alyan’s, their food is really good and fresh and inexpensive. Lots of veg options too.
Old 02-26-20, 01:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I can get veg tempura with rice, a salad, and sweet potato tempura roll.
Is that from the renal or the hepatic failure menu?
Old 02-26-20, 02:14 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
So I don't usually talk about work stuff, but I would genuinely like advice as to how to proceed with this.

I am in management and essentially have one minor boss and one big boss above me. EVERYONE in management is a workaholic but me. I arrive early every morning (10-15 minutes usually) because my morning just works that way. I have a few people that work directly for me. A couple of them are habitually late, but something like 2 or 3 minutes. I really do not care one way or the other because they are good workers and get their jobs done without any hassle or chasing them down. My big boss is just not having it. They had a big push/scare middle of last year to get our employees in line and clocking in before 8 a.m. every morning. As a result, the parking lot tends to be pretty full even when I get in at 7:45.

So he's asked me a couple of times to address my group and get it under control. I am quite transparent that it is coming from above and is to be taken seriously. Well I just got an email that he is frustrated to the point of putting out a job listing to replace some people because he's tired of dealing with it. One of the people is a degreed engineer who is a huge asset. I want to tell him that it's not worth getting upset over a few minutes every day for a guy who gets stuff done, has a lot of knowledge, does a chunk of our CNC work, etc. Not to mention he eats short lunches at work and is often here after 5. My boss is just plain obsessed with everyone being present before 8 a.m.

I took this a while back as just being a battle not worth fighting. I think I am just going to have to speak to each person one on one and impress upon them the importance (i.e. they might get replaced) of adhering to this policy. It's just frustrating for me on both ends, really.
Old 02-26-20, 02:21 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,040 Times in 2,152 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
So I don't usually talk about work stuff, but I would genuinely like advice as to how to proceed with this.

I am in management and essentially have one minor boss and one big boss above me. EVERYONE in management is a workaholic but me. I arrive early every morning (10-15 minutes usually) because my morning just works that way. I have a few people that work directly for me. A couple of them are habitually late, but something like 2 or 3 minutes. I really do not care one way or the other because they are good workers and get their jobs done without any hassle or chasing them down. My big boss is just not having it. They had a big push/scare middle of last year to get our employees in line and clocking in before 8 a.m. every morning. As a result, the parking lot tends to be pretty full even when I get in at 7:45.

So he's asked me a couple of times to address my group and get it under control. I am quite transparent that it is coming from above and is to be taken seriously. Well I just got an email that he is frustrated to the point of putting out a job listing to replace some people because he's tired of dealing with it. One of the people is a degreed engineer who is a huge asset. I want to tell him that it's not worth getting upset over a few minutes every day for a guy who gets stuff done, has a lot of knowledge, does a chunk of our CNC work, etc. Not to mention he eats short lunches at work and is often here after 5. My boss is just plain obsessed with everyone being present before 8 a.m.

I took this a while back as just being a battle not worth fighting. I think I am just going to have to speak to each person one on one and impress upon them the importance (i.e. they might get replaced) of adhering to this policy. It's just frustrating for me on both ends, really.
I will never understand someone’s need to feel important.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-26-20, 02:31 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rjones28
Yay, big sis.
That part was very touching. I got the feeling it was not the first time. I was waiting in line and kept watching the dad. He had an angry look on his face at all times.

You never know about people until you do. After the old woman who lived next to us when I was growing up had to go into a nursing home a Quaker couple bought the house. Seemingly normal family with two pre-teen daughters. (IIRC, the husband was the step father of those two.) Mom taught at a well-known Quaker school in town. Dad worked for a trade (e.g., plumbing, carpentry, etc.) co-op. They had another kid and eventually moved to a larger house in the neighborhood. One day, out of sheer coincidence, the husband was sent by my landlord to unclog the tub of a neighborhood apartment I was sharing with my cousin. He came in the evening and was most unpleasant to me. It was a side of him I had never seen before. Told my mom about his visit and she told me that he physically abused his wife. When she got older, the younger of the two original daughters became a heroine addict. IIRC, she got help and was doing OK last I heard.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-26-20, 02:32 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,226 Posts

That's obnoxious. We begrudgingly let go one of our best CNC programmers and machinists last year for chronic tardiness, but he was usually 30 minutes to several hours late, if he came in at all. A few minutes is just silly.

I think that management's main concern with him was that he was setting a bad example for everyone else. Doesn't seem to be the case with your situation, though.
Old 02-26-20, 02:39 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts

It unfortunate that people hold on to these beliefs in this age. However, your instinct is correct that you have to sit with these people and stress to them the significance of what is happening. It is out of your control, and this type of person may also then claim that since these people who come in late work for you and you can't remedy the issue, you are part of the problem. Have a discussion, write down a summary of the discussion with each immediately afterwards and file for yourself. Be compassionate and transparent as to where its coming from. You don't need to explain more. Be aware that a reaction to this will be these employees working to a clock though; in at X, out by Y, no extra time. That's the usual push-back along with a decrease in morale.
Likes For mvnsnd:
Old 02-26-20, 02:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

******g drones.

If you have any production numbers that you can point to, to illustrate their productivity, it might be helpful. Otherwise, rationalizing with someone with an irrational bug up their ass is going to be a no-win situation; talk to your underlings one-on-one as planned.

What's the structure like there, anyway? I would imagine that, in a lot of environments, letting someone go for something so minor would be potential minefield in terms of wrongful termination, etc, and that there would need to be a ton of communication/formal warnings before even considering that course.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-26-20, 03:04 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

******g drones.

If you have any production numbers that you can point to, to illustrate their productivity, it might be helpful. Otherwise, rationalizing with someone with an irrational bug up their ass is going to be a no-win situation; talk to your underlings one-on-one as planned.

What's the structure like there, anyway? I would imagine that, in a lot of environments, letting someone go for something so minor would be potential minefield in terms of wrongful termination, etc, and that there would need to be a ton of communication/formal warnings before even considering that course.
It's a small company, so things can be pretty fluid. The plan moving forward, though, is for me to see their clock-in times and write people up for being late. This is essentially going to create that paper trail. I already had a one on one with two people to express the importance of the matter. I tried to state in ambiguous/non threatening terms (they know where I stand on the matter) that we are also keeping an eye open on future applicants. One of the employees I haven't talked to about it is newer and he's not bad, but could go either way. I'm actually curious to see if he is one of the habitually late people. I don't tend to notice what other people are up to, especially in the morning when I have other things to check up on/get started. So a few minutes doesn't even register to me even when they're in the same office.
Old 02-26-20, 03:07 PM
indyfabz

My boss is just plain obsessed with everyone being present before 8 a.m.
We have something similar going on here, though it involves work locations. For reasons I won't go into, we are legally required to maintain a Philly office. And that's putting aside the fact that it makes total sense to have one since it's a lot easier (and cheaper) for consultants who come from out of town for meetings to meet in town. Also, if there is a snow storm a couple of us can easily walk or take public transit to work. (I cannot tell you how many times I have walked to the office in heavy snow to find an email asking if I made it in to cover the place.) Now that people are not here regularly, the mail piles up and process servers have a hard time finding anyone to accept service.

Our Pres. wants everyone in our NJ office every day. Employees of certain departments were moved over to NJ and told flat out that they may not work in town unless there is a meeting scheduled there. One guy, who does not own a car, found a new job and left. I can think of at least seven people who had to trade their rail commutes for car commutes. One of them lives closer to the Philly office than I do. You can actually see her apartment building from one end of the office. While suburbanites who now have to go to NJ no longer have to pay the city wage tax, they have commuting costs. One guy claims he now spends almost as much to commute than he saves in wage taxes.

Fortunately, I am officially stationed in Philly and have been allowed to split my time. I have been going to NJ twice/week. It entails a 5 a.m. wakeup so I can get there by 7 and leave by 3 (I skip lunch) so I can get home before parking pressure builds. The fact of the matter is that, because of the type of work I do, there is often little need for me to meet face to face with my "clients." Many of them are often out in the field anyway, and they know how to reach me if they need me. And, of course, I am happy to attend any meetings or other things in the NJ office when face to face interaction is warranted. I just hate feeling compelled to be there regularly for no discernable benefit. The real kicker is that the "rank and file" don't give a damn whether I am there every day or not because they know I am equally reachable and responsive by phone, email, etc., and thus they don't need me there every day. Some of them have actually expressed sympathy towards those who have been forced to move. It's only upper management that seems to care.
Old 02-26-20, 03:08 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11320 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
It unfortunate that people hold on to these beliefs in this age. However, your instinct is correct that you have to sit with these people and stress to them the significance of what is happening. It is out of your control, and this type of person may also then claim that since these people who come in late work for you and you can't remedy the issue, you are part of the problem. Have a discussion, write down a summary of the discussion with each immediately afterwards and file for yourself. Be compassionate and transparent as to where its coming from. You don't need to explain more. Be aware that a reaction to this will be these employees working to a clock though; in at X, out by Y, no extra time. That's the usual push-back along with a decrease in morale.
Spot on. Cover your ass.

Stress to them that this is imperative, and if you get this stuff this supervisor's radar, it'll be put to rest, hopefully for a while.

My thoughts on tardy? If one is consistently late, everyone notices, not just those in management, and it sets precedent.
Old 02-26-20, 03:09 PM
MoAlpha
• —

******g drones.

Right answer. Document, document, document. And try to convince these folks to save their own asses.
Old 02-26-20, 03:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

The whole “get there on time” thing for work smacks of style over substance, but agree talk to them 1 on 1. Level with them and fingers crossed they show up on time.
Old 02-26-20, 03:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Shocking story:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...ntl/index.html
Old 02-26-20, 03:54 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

The whole “get there on time” thing for work smacks of style over substance, but agree talk to them 1 on 1. Level with them and fingers crossed they show up on time.
Definitely. That's what makes this hard. On the whole, my boss is actually a good boss. He works hard for us in terms of representation to the owners, put in a real structured bonus program, regularly gives credit where credit is due, etc. He is also fully aware of how key/important this one guy is to the company as a whole, but he can NOT accept habitual tardiness in any form. I even had the chance to spend some real time with the boss on a recent business trip and he's a genuinely nice and a joy to BS with. That's why it's such an odd disconnect that something that costs use minutes a week is worth rolling heads over. But like I said, I long ago accepted that this wasn't a battle worth fighting with him.
Old 02-26-20, 03:54 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
CNN...always hitting you with the important stories.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.