Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Could use some opinions

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Could use some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 04:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You can't really go wrong by trying out a vintage MTB (one with a rigid fork). They're not so great for single track but they'll do fine on fire roads and gravel roads. Heck they were gravel bikes before gravel bikes became a thing. Plus they're cheap. If you look around on CL, you'll find a good one likely for right around $100. Plus it's a perfect bike to run errands on, just throw a rack on it. You can always buy a fancier (and much more expensive) bike later if you decide that's what you need/want.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-29-20, 09:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm a big, big fan of vintage MTBs and the price on them is pretty good even for upper end models. In the last few years, I picked up an '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, a 1992 Stumpjumper, and a 1992 Trek 950 for $100-$125 each. Just throw a fat cushy 26 inch tire on them, a comfy saddle, bmx pedals (so you can use any shoes you want), and a rack and you are good to go. The bikes come stock with all the gearing you will need. Plus these bikes come with stout wheels that tend to hold up pretty well.

If there is a downside to vintage MTBs, it's the handlebars. They're good for control in offroad riding but not all that comfortable for longer distances. There are a couple of ways of dealing with this: drop bar conversion, ergon grips, bar ends, and a trekking bar. I like all of these solutions but it's hard to beat the humble trekking bar. It's cheap and comfortable. The bars don't cost much and all the original MTB parts (brake levers and shifters) will work. Just think of it as a drop bar squished flat.

This is my '92 Trek 950. I paid $125 for it but I've obviously modified it (mainly the cantilevers and the trekking bar). The tires are 26 x 1.75 Continental Travel Contact tires. Good tires for mixed surface use.

Last edited by bikemig; 01-29-20 at 01:09 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-22-20, 05:44 PM
OldJack9211

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
A decently-built 1980s-1990s MTB might suit you nicely. Say, something like a Trek 930/950/970, a Miyata Ridge Runner, a Univega Alpina-series MTB, a Specialized StumpJumper/Rockhopper, or similar. Supports 26in tires of reasonable (off-road grade) widths, can handle studded tires for winter weather, and (depending on your luck) can often be found for "a song." Lots of such bikes across the country, if you're willing to pick up the freight charges. Decent enough quality and low enough gearing for rougher terrain, and reasonably easy to swap parts to something more-contemporary or -suitable.

Here's one, over in the Burlington (VT) area: Univega Alpina Sport, 19in frame size, $199/OBO. Ride as-is, or alter the stem/bars/saddle to your preference.

Congrats on getting back into trail biking.

Your area looks fairly "country" ... and beautiful.

our winter
Likes For OldJack9211:
Old 02-22-20, 08:06 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Another fan of old mtb's! Started with a $30 outlay, in 2013, and still riding it today....

FRANKENTREK rolls on!

When I finally am ready to roll
obligatory disclaimer: ignore the silly front bag experiment....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 02-26-20, 03:15 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
If your not seeking sensual single track or white line fever look at recumbent trikes and bikes.

I did,

absolute comfort with no damage to your man parts,
or neck,
or wrists,
and falls are not really a concern either..
Old 02-26-20, 03:20 PM
OldJack9211

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
If your not seeking sensual single track or white line fever look at recumbent trikes and bikes.

I did,

absolute comfort with no damage to your man parts,
or neck,
or wrists,
and falls are not really a concern either..
hahaha.....thanks. but i am stuck on mountain bikes for now. i hope anyway.
Old 02-27-20, 01:50 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I suggest that you check out the Rivendell Bike site and then get a Rigid Mountain bike from the 80s early 90s and put some new fangled riser swept back bars on it. It will be a very nice dirt road all rounder for little money.
Old 03-04-20, 09:31 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by OldJack9211
i thank you guys for your input.....i am 66 now and will not be riding the way i did in my 30's and 40's. i need to find out if my old body will take to it before i invest big bucks.
I've retired also. I find that now I have more time to train and also we all have a much better understanding of how to train and we all own heart rate monitors and such that simply were not available years ago, so I'm doing better than I did in the past. Bicycling is an endurance sport and because of that, it is well suited to older people.
I think with logging roads a full suspension bike i not needed. Better to go with those really bir wheels and tires and gearing. What they are calling a "cyclecross" bike wold be ideal. They are fast but also tought enough and geared for drt roads. The true mountain bikes are made of single track trails.
Old 03-05-20, 12:15 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'll disagree with the vintage mtn bike idea.

Get a modern hardtail mtn bike- no fuss, no repairs or hunting for parts, full range of cost/spec.

Adjust tires to your conditions. Get a drop bar bike later if you get the bug.

Personally, I ride a cross bike on dirt, but we don't really have winter here.

Something like this:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...ext=91220-3304

Last edited by woodcraft; 03-05-20 at 12:23 AM.