Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Too old to BMX

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Too old to BMX

Old 02-27-20, 03:37 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
And they say you can't teach on old dog new tricks.... LOL. The stop action photo makes it look so much cooler than the video. LOL.

outstanding 👍
Old 02-27-20, 12:19 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Thank you!!! Would be cool if I could measure how high I got. But then I would just get depressed about how low it actually is. I think it MIGHT be 6" if I'm lucky.
Old 02-27-20, 06:07 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

6 inches is awesome at our age
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 02-28-20, 10:20 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Thanks man!!! If you wanna watch my progress, I started an Instagram page. And if you got pics or are on Instagram I'd love to follow it. Mine is @SilentNightSun. Just be prepared to be unwowed. LOL.

I was excited. I did a new trick last night. I did a foot jam and fakied for about 6" and rode away forwards. LOL. I had to do a lot to just get to one where I didn't tip over. LOL. I'm starting to learn how to tailwhip and I'm starting to get sort of close. One time last night my bike rotated about 270 and I twisted a little and moved toward the bike. I think it's possible I might be able to eventually get all the way around and hop back on. If I can do that.... I'll be like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaa? That would be mega cool.

The trick I want to learn the most is manuals but man they are not easy. I work on them every night and I'm not getting any farther. I'm starting to feel like I can find the balance point but dang if I can't get past the distance I've already gotten to. I've got a concrete driveway and the joints are just a bit over 9'. Most nights I can make it from one joint to another like one time. And that's as far as I've gotten. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…….

Last edited by 3S1M; 02-28-20 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-28-20, 02:27 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Instagram. Got it
Old 02-28-20, 04:17 PM
3S1M

You wanna share your handle with me?
Old 02-28-20, 05:29 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I’m not officially on there but I do go check out Instagram when I can 👍
Old 02-29-20, 10:53 AM
3S1M

Ah cool. Well if you do any vids, post em up here!!!! We need all the traffic we can get for BMX here.
Old 03-01-20, 08:38 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Ah cool. Well if you do any vids, post em up here!!!! We need all the traffic we can get for BMX here.
so true 👍
Old 03-11-20, 11:10 AM
3S1M

https://imgur.com/M6hjZqz
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-11-20, 11:11 AM
3S1M

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-11-20, 11:15 AM
3S1M

Ugh, I keep posting the same picture. LOL. SORRY!!!

Here's a different one of the same trick. LOL.

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-11-20, 07:54 PM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I am stoked, uncle!!!!
Old 03-12-20, 10:15 PM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

flat sess. on the 16th flr of my apartment block...
Likes For acir71:
Old 03-13-20, 09:36 AM
3S1M

I think I'm gonna need to get 4 pegs and start learning more flatland type tricks. I didn't necessarily want to add the extra weight..... But....

What's the top tube on your bike? I kind of wish mine was shorter, but it was the right deal for me, so.....

And you run without breaks eh? I'm trying to avoid brakes...… I just don't want the extra junk on the bars and the frame.......

What size tire are your runnin?

That is a great shot of you!!! You look like you know what you're doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock on!!!

Last edited by 3S1M; 03-13-20 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 09:38 AM
3S1M

https://imgur.com/IutIhv4
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-13-20, 04:55 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Getting more confidant,...
Old 03-18-20, 12:14 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by acir71

flat sess. on the 16th flr of my apartment block...
Excellent
Old 03-18-20, 02:14 PM
3S1M

Originally Posted by tds101
Getting more confidant,...

Thank you!!! Getting there.

These are the tricks I'm currently working on and do, some better than others.

Manuals (I find them very difficult to ride for any distance. whenever I get to feeling I've found the spot to ride a distance I loop out. Grrrrrrrr)
Bunny Hops. I'm getting better. Not sure how high I'm getting. I'm thinking somewhere around 8" at the rear wheel.
Foot jam to fakie. I've only managed to ride away twice on that. I'm always tipping from one side to the other while doing the footjam…..
Foot jam to tail whip. I'm like 60% there to landing it. Last night I stayed up on my wheel longer than ever waiting for the tail to come all the way around. I didn't land it but it felt good to stay up on the wheel so long.
Barspins. I only do 180 degrees. Lifting the front up and not lifting the front up. I can do 360 with not lifting the front up going the opposite way of my natural way.... LOL. I've yet to even attempt a 360 while lifting up or during a hop. I feel like I have more control pinching my seat but then all these guys on VitalBMX say you don't have to pinch. Yet I see pros pinching their seats when they barspin…. I just was watching an X games bowl riders and there was even a slo mo of a guy doing a barspin in the air and he clearly pinched his seat.
This includes cross ups. I can't ride very far with my arms backwards so when I do them I just spin it back right away.
Rotating hops. I can only get 90 degrees thus far. LOL.
half of a surfer. I just put my foot on the front of the top tube and my rear foot on the seat.
Fakies against an obstacle. I try to do them on my front stoop but the walkway going up to it isn't straight so it poses an extra challenge.
rear wheel kick outs. I like these but can only do 1 way so far.
lastly I do some trick I don't know the name of it. I lay the bike down on it's side. Forward foot stays on the pedal rear foot comes around and rests on the seat post or seat depending on how low I have the seat. And then I pull the bike back up and ride away. I saw Spencer Foresman do that.

I have all of these on my Instagram page. SilentnightSun. I can't remember if I posted that here or not.

Now I gotta learn some new tricks. I'm open to suggestions..... Mainly stuff that can be done on flat ground.... Although before the 15 day lockdown I was starting to go to a park but it was after dropping my daughter off at the high school for an after school Bible study. Now they're all shut down I haven't been up that way. Today is usually the day we go up there.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-20-20, 09:47 AM
acir71

I think I'm gonna need to get 4 pegs and start learning more flatland type tricks. I didn't necessarily want to add the extra weight..... But....

What's the top tube on your bike? I kind of wish mine was shorter, but it was the right deal for me, so.....

And you run without breaks eh? I'm trying to avoid brakes...… I just don't want the extra junk on the bars and the frame.......

What size tire are your runnin?

That is a great shot of you!!! You look like you know what you're doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock on!!!

There are real light pegs out there, St Martin has some sweet ones chk it out.
Tt is 20.75. I tried my friend's 20.5 setup, it feels much better into & out of the bowls. A bit fast & aggresive? Nvr thought you'd actually feel the diff. I'm 5'7.
Now am running 20.1 front n back. You hv 20.4 on yours?
Old 03-20-20, 09:49 AM
acir71

hahaa pull that fakie and show em whos daddy!!
Old 03-20-20, 09:58 AM
3S1M

hahaa pull that fakie and show em whos daddy!!
I keep working on fakies but my success rate is really low. After trying a bunch of footjam fakies the other night I rode away once. I do think it was actually longer than that one in the video though. So that's progress. I feel like I have pretty good balance but the biggest obstacle about fakies for me is I end up leaned one way or the other and can't adjust and have to put my foot down. I gotta learn how to adjust when I'm just a tad bit leaned one way or the other.
Old 03-20-20, 10:06 AM
3S1M

There are real light pegs out there, St Martin has some sweet ones chk it out.
Tt is 20.75. I tried my friend's 20.5 setup, it feels much better into & out of the bowls. A bit fast & aggresive? Nvr thought you'd actually feel the diff. I'm 5'7.
Now am running 20.1 front n back. You hv 20.4 on yours?

Yeah 2.4 (came on the bike), I keep debating about if I wanna change the tires or not. They guy I bought it from gives a lot of good advice and he lives near me. He's been riding since the 80s and he prefers smaller tires. He just built one with Maxxis Grifters 2.1. I have some cheap bell 2.125's on my cheap bike that I debate switching out to see if I'd like smaller but I just remember feeling like they're hard as a rock when doing hops. BUT, that bike is also heavier. And probably some higher quality tires at 2.1 compared to a lower quality 2.1 probably feel a lot better.

I'm not sure what the pros and cons are. The pros to a fat tire is it is pretty comfy. I like the 2.3 kenda K rads on my daughters MTB. It's one of the most comfy bikes we got. But my BMX bike feels pretty comfy too and I'm sure the fat tires has something to do with that. But one thing I don't like about them is they look almost cartoonish. Since my rims are matte black and they kind of have a bow in the middle (different design than some other rims) it just all looks like a huge balloon of a wheel. Sort of annoying me. And Easterns huge billboard of lettering is sort of goofy too.

So... I've been sort of trying to figure out if I want to swap them. They feel good but maybe a smaller tire would help with manuals???? I here one pro of smaller tires is easier to go faster and possibly they might feel a bit more stable when doing flatland type tricks?
Old 03-21-20, 11:38 AM
3S1M

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 03-21-20, 08:23 PM
acir71

Damn! How to not go out n ride when you got that beauty waiting...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.