Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 05:29 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
And three days ago Adam Yates blew the doors off of everyone at Jebel Hafeet on a disc-equipped Scott...
The real story at the UAE, before the cancellation due to corona virus, was the sprint field. Lots of the big dogs.
Old 02-28-20, 05:36 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
too many spacers for it to be "Hot".

Half that is acceptable.
I agree. However, I preferred a fitted bike over a hot looking bike. My body wouldn't handle the extra stress caused by an increase saddle to bar drop very well. Not for now at least.
Old 02-28-20, 05:39 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I agree. However, I preferred a fitted bike over a hot looking bike. My body wouldn't handle the extra stress caused by an increase saddle to bar drop very well. Not for now at least.
How many spacers is that? 30 mm? 40 mm?
Old 02-28-20, 05:59 PM
colnago62

I used to ride with my stems slammed. Blessed with great flexibility. What changed for me was the increased need to see better. Slowly over the years traffic has increased all over the region. It also has gotten more aggressive. I feel like I need to be able to see as far ahead as possible.
Old 02-28-20, 06:11 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
The real story at the UAE, before the cancellation due to corona virus, was the sprint field. Lots of the big dogs.
True. And in the context of this thread, Caleb Ewan won UAE Tour Stage 2 at Hatta Dam on a disc-equipped Ridley....
Old 02-28-20, 06:46 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
True. And in the context of this thread, Caleb Ewan won UAE Tour Stage 2 at Hatta Dam on a disc-equipped Ridley....
I plan on watching that stage tonight. With his current situation, he is going to be tough to beat this year.
Old 02-28-20, 09:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I used to ride with my stems slammed. Blessed with great flexibility. What changed for me was the increased need to see better. Slowly over the years traffic has increased all over the region. It also has gotten more aggressive. I feel like I need to be able to see as far ahead as possible.
For clarification my comment was about the desire for people to purchase undersized frames. I see so many people riding frames with numerous spacers and a riser stem when a larger frame or one with a greater stack height would allow for a more balanced ride.
Old 02-28-20, 09:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

If only there was a way to have a bike fit without a big stack of spacers....
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-29-20, 06:17 AM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
If only there was a way to have a bike fit without a big stack of spacers....
... like, maybe, the next larger-sized frame with a taller HT?
Old 02-29-20, 07:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
... like, maybe, the next larger-sized frame with a taller HT?
This was actually the intent of another thread, to discuss whether most people find bigger HT's more appealing than spacers -- more relevant for larger bike sizes. I think i'm on the fence -- eg. a 18cm HT with 2cm of spacers I think looks better than a 20cm HT, but if more spacers than this (aside from safety?), likely the bigger HT would be nicer.
Old 02-29-20, 04:00 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How many spacers is that? 30 mm? 40 mm?
40mm - it's the maximum recommended for carbon steerers I believe. I plan on removing 10mm this summer and see how it goes. Worked on my flexibility during winter, I hope it'll pay off!

Funny story: The large felt big when I tried it. I preferred the ML.

Last edited by eduskator; 02-29-20 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-29-20, 04:15 PM
tomato coupe

40mm - it's the maximum recommended for carbon steerers I believe. I plan on removing 10mm this summer and see how it goes. Worked on my flexibility during winter, I hope it'll pay off!.
Wow. With 40mm of spacers, you might be two frame sizes too small.
Old 02-29-20, 04:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
40mm - it's the maximum recommended for carbon steerers I believe. I plan on removing 10mm this summer and see how it goes. Worked on my flexibility during winter, I hope it'll pay off!

Funny story: The large felt big when I tried it. I preferred the ML.
Why the TCR vs the Defy?
Old 02-29-20, 08:29 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
This thread has gone off the rails.. the topic was every new road bike has discs.

BTW: I've ridden the Defy Advanced. Carbon frame, discs and 105 components. 32mm (fat) tires. Anyway, the bike was around 20 pounds with porky heavy wheels, and it all rode like a farm tractor. I thought that the wide tires would make this bike super stable, but it was still sketchy above 20mph on the gravel in the Yukon. The crappy chip-seal roads were almost as jarring as riding on my other bike with 25s. And this performance coming from a $3k bike.

Anyway, here is the point: current road bikes are sluggish pigs due to weight burden of discs, and especially the heavy rims and tires. Plus the high-Q of the current cranksets are biomechanically inefficient, as are wide 142mm chainstays. But if you have to shove 13 cogs plus discs in the rear stays, then I guess you have to go wide in the rear. Plus thru-axles are an unnecessary PITA.

My $1,500 Allez with rim brakes allowed me to travel everywhere that the Defy did. It was also lighter and felt much more responsive.
Old 02-29-20, 08:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8276 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Now it has really gone off the rails.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-29-20, 08:59 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
BTW: I've ridden the Defy Advanced. Carbon frame, discs and 105 components. 32mm (fat) tires. Anyway, the bike was around 20 pounds with porky heavy wheels, and it all rode like a farm tractor. I thought that the wide tires would make this bike super stable, but it was still sketchy above 20mph on the gravel in the Yukon. The crappy chip-seal roads were almost as jarring as riding on my other bike with 25s. And this performance coming from a $3k bike.

Anyway, here is the point: current road bikes are sluggish pigs due to weight burden of discs, and especially the heavy rims and tires. Plus the high-Q of the current cranksets are biomechanically inefficient, as are wide 142mm chainstays. But if you have to shove 13 cogs plus discs in the rear stays, then I guess you have to go wide in the rear. Plus thru-axles are an unnecessary PITA.

My $1,500 Allez with rim brakes allowed me to travel everywhere that the Defy did. It was also lighter and felt much more responsive.
That's quite a sweeping generalization, and without much merit, considering it's based your experience with one bike that had "porky heavy wheels." I hate to break it to you, but there are many, many disc brake road bikes that would make your Allez feel like a "sluggish pig."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-29-20, 09:20 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's quite a sweeping generalization, and without much merit, considering it's based your experience with one bike that had "porky heavy wheels." I hate to break it to you, but there are many, many disc brake road bikes that would make your Allez feel like a "sluggish pig."
Nope: all disc-brake equipped road bikes are sluggish pigs. I've been shopping and test riding.

It is time to buy my dream retirement bike after coming into some money. Walk into a shop and they invariably ask: "what is your budget?" I respond with: "14.00 pounds max including pedals". I have a couple of 16 pound bikes, and they are sweet indeed. But lighter is always better.

They then ask: "dollar budget?" I respond: 15. $1,500? No: $15,000. That gets their attention. I tell them I would be willing to expand my budget further if I can get external cable routing and a BSA threaded BB shell.

Nobody can deliver me a bike given these simple constraints. I would have bought a Trek Emonda SLR (rim brake version obviously), an added bonus being I could have decked it out with USPS cosmetics and colors. But, the weird BB standard kills the deal. Industry fail. Time to get online for some 800g Chinese carbon frames and 300g carbon tubular rims.
Old 02-29-20, 09:40 PM
tomato coupe

Nope: all disc-brake equipped road bikes are sluggish pigs. I've been shopping and test riding.
Okay, end of discussion then ...
Old 02-29-20, 09:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If every bike you've been on is sluggish, it's probably not the bikes...
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-29-20, 10:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

It is time to buy my dream retirement bike after coming into some money. Walk into a shop and they invariably ask: "what is your budget?" I respond with: "14.00 pounds max including pedals". I have a couple of 16 pound bikes, and they are sweet indeed. But lighter is always better.

They then ask: "dollar budget?" I respond: 15. $1,500? No: $15,000. That gets their attention. I tell them I would be willing to expand my budget further if I can get external cable routing and a BSA threaded BB shell.

Nobody can deliver me a bike given these simple constraints. I would have bought a Trek Emonda SLR (rim brake version obviously), an added bonus being I could have decked it out with USPS cosmetics and colors. But, the weird BB standard kills the deal. Industry fail. Time to get
online for some 800g Chinese carbon frames and 300g carbon tubular rims.
So you've got a specific set of requirements and a very healthy budget, but instead of contacting custom builders, you've got:

Plan A) walk in to random LBS and be a ****** to the employee unfortunate enough to greet you
Plan B) buy some cheap **** of unproven quality and questionable provenance online

Cool. Sounds legit.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-29-20, 10:11 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Dude must not live where feral hogs are. Those things are anything but sluggish.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-29-20, 11:17 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If every bike you've been on is sluggish, it's probably not the bikes...
It was just the disc bikes 😂😂😂
Likes For colnago62:
Old 02-29-20, 11:21 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by seypat
Dude must not live where feral hogs are. Those things are anything but sluggish.
I was watching a news show talking about the problem in Texas. This exterminator got one that was like 400lbs 😳 It sounded like a real serious problem.
Old 02-29-20, 11:58 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
This thread has gone off the rails.. the topic was every new road bike has discs.

Can you imagine how fast current world tour pros, Strava KOM holders and Dirty Kanza racers would be if they weren’t burdened with all this sluggish gear.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-01-20, 09:13 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
So you've got a specific set of requirements and a very healthy budget, but instead of contacting custom builders, you've got:

Plan A) walk in to random LBS and be a ****** to the employee unfortunate enough to greet you
Plan B) buy some cheap **** of unproven quality and questionable provenance online

Cool. Sounds legit.
I'm shocked he didn't say that disc bikes are all 1-2 pounds overweight.
Likes For noodle soup:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.