Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Photo of the bike you use to pick up your groceries

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Photo of the bike you use to pick up your groceries

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 10:11 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Yep it's close, but we like low-"Q" and wide tire clearance. These chainstays are so lightweight that I suppose there must be a lot of flex. Haven't measured the flex, but the tubes are smaller diameter than even traditional (non-OS) steel chainstays, and they're thinner wall (0.7 mm) than most steel, and Ti has roughly half the inherent stiffness (Young's Modulus) of steel. But even with all that (presumed) flex, the stay never touches the chainring teeth, so I call it good. Any more clearance there would serve no purpose. "A miss is as good as a mile", except in horseshoes and hand grenades

The chainstay leaves the BB at an abnormally sharp angle, needed to achieve the wide tire clearance with such a short chainstay dimension (16"). So if the chainring were any larger, it would hit. That's a 24t, but we like that it's so small because it allows a smaller freewheel for the same ratio. That in turn allows the short-cage racing derailer, a Dura-Ace 7400 in this case. So we have no desire to run larger than a 24t granny ring.

Did I answer your question?
Bulgie is a black belt bike geek, any further discussion on the topic is redundant or wrong!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 01-16-20, 11:24 PM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
This is such an awesome thread! It's loaded with my favorite kind of bikes! Here are a couple of my "grocery getters". The first is my favorite bike, and the one that gets ridden most often. It's a 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15 that I've been personalizing for several years now. Still not done lol. I LOVE this bike!

The second is a 1985 Mongoose ATB that I've customised into something more suited for umm, well... Getting groceries! It's not a finished product either though. Most of the parts are just stuff I had laying around already. There are lots of little things I'd like to do and change to both of these bikes, but in my opinion they're both pretty awesome as is too!

Likes For AustinFitz:
Old 01-17-20, 02:43 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinFitz
<snip> my favorite bike, and the one that gets ridden most often. It's a 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15 that I've been personalizing for several years now. Still not done lol. I LOVE this bike!
Yeah that bike is gorgeous. The rear bag is super classy -- any chance of finding something sorta matchy for the front? The gray color of the front bag clashes a bit for me.

The rear derailer looks like a circa '84 Mountech amiright? Suntour's answer to the Huret DuoPar, with a pulley cage that can float up and down, very clever. Frank Berto's verdict was it shifted "beautifully". I never got around to trying the rear Mountech, but I have that front Mountech on a couple of my bikes, and I have heard a few other people say the same thing -- hoard them when you can find them!

I'd advise ditching that Vistalite tail light, unless you have a sentimental attachment -- modern LEDs have improved so much since then. I'm a fan of vintage stuff most everywhere else on the bike, but not lights.

Is that a Crane Riten bell? If so, well done, one of the best bike bells ever. Cheerful sound but loud and excellent sustain. A good bell really enhances my enjoyment of a city bike.
Old 01-17-20, 02:49 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder

Trek 950 with front rack and groceries.

Added rear rack. Works great as grocery getter.
I like this very much. Did you get the frame resprayed? What handlebars are those?
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 01-17-20, 07:21 AM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I use either my MTB, my MTB with dropbar or my touring bike to get groceries or run errands. When getting groceries I use my panniers. When picking up large items I use my Arno straps like in this case when I used my touring bike to bring home my dehumidifier.

Cheers
This is Awesome!
Old 01-17-20, 07:29 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder

Trek 950 with front rack and groceries.

Added rear rack. Works great as grocery getter.
More details, What frame is that and what tires.
Old 01-17-20, 07:30 AM
Sandstrom

This is such an awesome thread! It's loaded with my favorite kind of bikes! Here are a couple of my "grocery getters". The first is my favorite bike, and the one that gets ridden most often. It's a 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15 that I've been personalizing for several years now. Still not done lol. I LOVE this bike!

The second is a 1985 Mongoose ATB that I've customised into something more suited for umm, well... Getting groceries! It's not a finished product either though. Most of the parts are just stuff I had laying around already. There are lots of little things I'd like to do and change to both of these bikes, but in my opinion they're both pretty awesome as is too!
Beautiful bikes! What racks are those on the Centurion? I am guessing the front attaches at the top to the fork crown?
Old 01-17-20, 08:27 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts

Here is my trio of transport bicycles I keep in my frame building shop. The smaller one on the far end is the one my wife uses to sometimes ride to work. The other 2 are prototypes I made for our charity bicycle project in Ukraine. A Dutch RIH bicycle was used as model. The one in the middle with Cyrillic down tube lettering has a one piece lugged head tube. This was to make brazing easier for Kostya the builder. He was a captain in the army that lead a group of men to clean up Chernobyl and the only one of that team still alive. This bicycle is usually used by my frame building class students to get around town. The closest one branded "Messenger" is fillet brazed so the top tube could be sloped to fit a wider range of riders. It is equipped with Wald products. The fully enclosed chain guard makes it easy with street clothes to jump on and go. It has a Sturmey Archer generator front hub powering a Planet Bike headlight. For my purposes the Abus ring lock is sufficient to stop an impulse steal when it is parked at a grocery store in Niles, Michigan. The dropouts and fork crown were laser cut in Ukraine. On the top of the crown I brazed a little stainless steel cross that might make a thief think twice before taking it. The seat and head angles are 71º. Its upright seating position requires a more setback saddle and the angles being parallel makes them easier to build.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-17-20, 09:19 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^^ Looks like your own little bike share program. All you need is a mock dock.
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
This was to make brazing easier for Kostya the builder. He was a captain in the army that lead a group of men to clean up Chernobyl and the only one of that team still alive.
Wow, not the typical provenance of a C&V bike....
On the top of the crown I brazed a little stainless steel cross that might make a thief think twice before taking it.
I like how you think!
Old 01-17-20, 03:12 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I like this very much. Did you get the frame resprayed? What handlebars are those?
Thank you.

It's a 1989 Trek 950 mt. bike.

It came with a bright royal blue color but was pretty scratched up.

I took it to my local powder coater and asked for the closest to chrome coat he could do.

He told me up front it would look silver , not chrome but I like it fine.

The handlebar is a Sunlight North Road in the alloy version.
It also comes in a cheaper steel version.
They have a lot of rise which me ol' back appreciates.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 01-17-20, 03:30 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
More details, What frame is that and what tires.
1989 Trek 950 mt bike.
Discontinued Michelin Pilot Sports 26x2.35 tires in that pic.

They had quite a few miles on them and I started having quite a few flats. That bike now has Maxxis DTH 26x2.15 tires.

I have two of those bikes running now.
One with racks and baskets for groceries and one without for fun riding around my area.

More pics on this interesting thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...rsions-15.html
Old 01-17-20, 03:47 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts

This post brought to you by Wald.
Likes For riva:
Old 01-18-20, 12:55 AM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Originally Posted by bulgie
Yeah that bike is gorgeous. The rear bag is super classy -- any chance of finding something sorta matchy for the front? The gray color of the front bag clashes a bit for me.

The rear derailer looks like a circa '84 Mountech amiright? Suntour's answer to the Huret DuoPar, with a pulley cage that can float up and down, very clever. Frank Berto's verdict was it shifted "beautifully". I never got around to trying the rear Mountech, but I have that front Mountech on a couple of my bikes, and I have heard a few other people say the same thing -- hoard them when you can find them!

I'd advise ditching that Vistalite tail light, unless you have a sentimental attachment -- modern LEDs have improved so much since then. I'm a fan of vintage stuff most everywhere else on the bike, but not lights.

Is that a Crane Riten bell? If so, well done, one of the best bike bells ever. Cheerful sound but loud and excellent sustain. A good bell really enhances my enjoyment of a city bike.
Thank you!!! I think it's beautiful as well. It takes the cake as both the prettiest, and nicest riding bike I've had yet. Best $50 I've ever spent!!! I agree that the front bag needs to be replaced with something that better matches the rear bag though. I was on a super tight budget when I was initially looking for bags for it. The rear bag is an old camera bag from the '70s that belonged to my grandfather, so that was free, and the front was just what I could find with what I had to spend at the time ($10 shipped). I'll eventually get that sorted out.

The rear derailleur is indeed an '84 Suntour Mountech, and is the factory original that came on the bike. For the most part I've heard that they're great when kept clean, but are prone to failure at the integrated spring/jockey wheel if not maintained. I've been using this one regularly for a few years now with zero issues, but then again I do keep everything pretty clean. I do have a backup pair of Suntour Le Tech derailleurs on hand for this bike though just in case.

That tail light is just temporary as well. I found it in a box of parts I had laying around, and all I had on the rear of the Centurion at the time was a plain old red reflector. I figured any kind of light would be better than nothing since I do ride it on the highway often. Like I said, it's still a work in progress. My biggest constraint is budget!

Last but not least, you're correct on the bell too! It's an interesting model though being half brass and half copper. I was having a hard time choosing between the 2 materials, and couldn't find any copper ones in the U.S. when searching online. That's when I came across this half and half version from the U.K. and fell in love. Shipping took a little while, but it definitely is a beautiful sounding bell! I've always loved the classic "bringgg-bringgg" bike bell sound.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-18-20, 01:02 AM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by Sandstrom
Beautiful bikes! What racks are those on the Centurion? I am guessing the front attaches at the top to the fork crown?
Thank you! The rear rack on the Centurion is the factory original rack that came stock on this model. The front is a discontinued version of the Soma Lucas Mini Rack, and yes it attaches to the hole through the top of the fork crown. I was looking for something that would sort of match the original rear rack. The current version of the Soma Lucas Mini is what's on the front of my Mongoose ATB. It's slightly different, and has eyelets. Here's a pic of the discontinued version that's on the Centurion.

Last edited by AustinFitz; 01-18-20 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-22-20, 03:54 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
93 Rockhopper Comp.

Old 01-22-20, 06:08 PM
Sandstrom

Thank you! The rear rack on the Centurion is the factory original rack that came stock on this model. The front is a discontinued version of the Soma Lucas Mini Rack, and yes it attaches to the hole through the top of the fork crown. I was looking for something that would sort of match the original rear rack. The current version of the Soma Lucas Mini is what's on the front of my Mongoose ATB. It's slightly different, and has eyelets. Here's a pic of the discontinued version that's on the Centurion.

Thanks for the info, it seems to be getting harder and harder to find a lower eyelet/caliper brake mount style front rack. Understandable, I suppose, with calipers no longer common and everything seems to have mid fork mounts now...
Old 01-24-20, 11:50 AM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Pug Porteur

My 1972 Peugeot AE-8. $20 Craigslist basket-case repurposed to a French grocery getter. It use it regularly for picking up items from the nearby Walgreens. It’s a pleasure to ride.

Wine crate is vintage 1962 from France w/original US Customs Stamp and French Line cruise ship luggage tag dated July 4, 1963.

Some replacement parts sourced from workbench parts bin, eBay, Amazon or scratch made.

Rustoleum rattle-can repaint with fresh decals.

Condition as acquired.
Likes For Goosecheck:
Old 01-24-20, 12:41 PM
Sandstrom

Originally Posted by Goosecheck
My 1972 Peugeot AE-8. $20 Craigslist basket-case repurposed to a French grocery getter. It use it regularly for picking up items from the nearby Walgreens. It’s a pleasure to ride.
WOW, that's a nice ride, you did a great job on it, I like the color you chose...Très Bon!
Old 01-24-20, 12:58 PM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandstrom
WOW, that's a nice ride, you did a great job on it, I like the color you chose...Très Bon!
Merci!
Old 01-25-20, 01:52 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
My short-hop grocery (and dog-running) bike, a 1970 Supersport:

Old 02-27-20, 11:04 PM
HopHornbeam

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1991 GT Tachyon, 1999 Bike Friday Air Friday, 1986 Bridgestone MB-2, 1995 Trek 970 SHX, One One Inbred, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Jr., 1987 Schwinn Sierra, (formerly owned): 1995 Cannondale R800C, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
1986 Schwinn Sierra with panniers on front and rear racks. I've only used it a couple times so far, but from what I remember the handling is hardly any different with a load than without one. Pics to come once I have enough posts....
Old 02-28-20, 07:52 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts

My son in front, me in back in the santa parade. We routinely haul lots of crap, groceries included.

Loaded for a gig
I carry whatever I can. Any trip that becomes a bike trip is more fun.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-28-20, 08:51 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
This is my dirty work bike – grocery getter, winter beater, errand runner, urban rider. Not pretty but it doesn’t have to be. My third Mirada and they’re unkillable. Gotta get a new basket for the left side as I smashed the old one during an unanticipated high-speed evasive maneuver that took me too close to a low-lying brick wall. Due for some new tires and a general cleaning too…

Likes For Miradaman:
Old 02-28-20, 09:40 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I live in a small town with the grocery store only about one kilometer away. When I need a few things from the store and the roads are clear of snow, I use my Norco town/shopping bike. It is about a
late 80's or 1990 vintage. I completely rebuilt it. The folding pannier shopping bags are fantastic, but alas MEC discontinued them.

Likes For forresterace:
Old 02-28-20, 05:15 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by forresterace
I live in a small town with the grocery store only about one kilometer away. When I need a few things from the store and the roads are clear of snow, I use my Norco town/shopping bike. It is about a
late 80's or 1990 vintage. I completely rebuilt it. The folding pannier shopping bags are fantastic, but alas MEC discontinued them.

I don't know what's with MEC lately as they've dropped a lot of the better stuff they used to sell at reasonable prices. It seems to me as if they're becoming a high-end store.

That Norco Bush Pilot is a nice sturdy bike. My friend in the 1980s had a blue Bush Pilot he used to tour with me on logging/mining roads in Norther Ontario, Canada. The bike handled well with gear, food and water for two weeks unsupported touring. Here's an image of his rig.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.