Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scratch Free Bikes After 1 Year Plus

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Scratch Free Bikes After 1 Year Plus

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 08:43 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I'd love to have scratch free bikes. I don't intend to scratch or damage any of my possessions, but stuff happens.

Of course, my current two bikes were bought "pre-owned" and came "pre-scratched".
Old 11-27-19, 09:49 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I have a powder-coated frame that seems to resist scratches better than any regular-paint bike I've had. Not that I worry too much about scratches. If I had the money for a nice custom Ti tourer I'd probably opt for paint just so it would look pretty.
Old 11-29-19, 03:55 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
My 15 year old LOOK KG461 is still scratch free. It did sit unused for 8 years, but it's been in use for 7 years.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 02-24-20, 05:08 AM
GrantFlower

Bikes: CharlesraP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrantFlower
I am a pretty big time car detailer and I extend that to bikes, my bikes get detailed after each ride. One of my bikes is new, but the other is 2 years old and has a good amount of miles on it, and it's as flawless as the day I bought it. I do hear rocks ding off the downtube sometimes which makes me cringe but so far so good and the films I've seen thus far for downtubes I haven't been impressed with. I also keep my bikes in Feedback Rakks so they never touch walls or anything, and neither bike gets parked anywhere or leaned against anything as they are for fitness, not leisure.
I'm with taz777 and puma1552. It's not difficult to avoid scratches and dings. I ride my bikes plenty, some in poor weather. I handle them with care and detail them often. It's been over 10 years since I've crashed. Yes, I'll get a tiny nick now and then, but even my 20+ year old bikes look nearly new. Same thing with my cars. I like riding and I like keeping my stuff mint. When I see how beat up some bikes are I sometimes wonder if their owners jump off and just let 'em crash into the pile when parking them.
Old 02-24-20, 11:11 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
This is the very first picture of my bike, before I even rode it, only moments after buying it. I managed to scratch the clear coat by leaning it on that pole... It has gone through spring, summer, and fall with no additional scratches, but this still haunts me.
That picture hurts my soul. As you learned, I never let the frame touch anything. only the seat and/or bar end, and even then, very gently, and if the surface looks too rough (concrete/rock/etc.), I don't do it. The nice thing about gloss paint tho, is if the scratches aren't too deep, you can usually get them out, or at least do a good enough repair that they're not noticeable.

My gravel bike has some scratches and nicks, but it's a gravel bike and I beat it like it owes me money. But I still keep it clean and the metallic orange paint still looks great overall. My road bikes have been pretty much scratch free, just got a new one and intend to keep it the same way (barring a catastrophic incident of course).

Also, first thing I did when I got the new road bike home, was go over it with rubbing compound and polish, even factory paint can always use a lil improvement.
Old 02-26-20, 08:13 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
The OCD is strong in this thread.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-26-20, 09:48 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
In S E Asia they stick plastic sheeting over the paint on motor bikes. Sometimes clear, sometimes coloured or with a pattern. It protects the paint from being scratched.

I have had them stick this over the bar on the bikes I have had in S E Asia. The bar can get scratched from knocking it when you step over it.

If someone wanted to remove cables and accessories, you could have it over most of the frame. But it is normally not worth the effort.
Old 02-26-20, 11:35 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by prj71
Yup, I freely admit it.

Makes me cringe when I see people with expensive bikes caked in dirt and crud, and not from that ride, you can clearly see that the bike is not cleaned/maintained regularly, and the noises they make are usually pretty horrible too. Bikes are a tool, a piece of gear, but there's no reason to not take care of it, especially when you've put a lot of money into it.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-26-20, 12:03 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
As is the pride of having a beat up bike.

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Yup, I freely admit it.

Makes me cringe when I see people with expensive bikes caked in dirt and crud, and not from that ride, you can clearly see that the bike is not cleaned/maintained regularly, and the noises they make are usually pretty horrible too. Bikes are a tool, a piece of gear, but there's no reason to not take care of it, especially when you've put a lot of money into it.
Not me. It's not my bike or money, so I'm fine with other folks having trashed up bikes. Meanwhile, mine all look great and command top $$$ when I sell them. If someone wants to call that OCD it's fine with me. I just do what makes me happy.
Old 02-28-20, 08:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Yup, I freely admit it.

You must not mountain bike or gravel ride. You would die from OCD overdose.

Bikes are like cars...they get dinged up, scratched, dirty etc. They are never going to stay new looking unless they sit in the garage doing nothing.

Some of you....
Old 02-28-20, 09:16 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts

Bikes are like cars...they get dinged up, scratched, dirty etc. They are never going to stay new looking unless they sit in the garage doing nothing.

Some of you....
I put over 7000 miles on mine last year and have over 1000miles already this year. What does that mean?
Old 02-28-20, 10:24 AM
Rides4Beer

Some of you....
Nope, as I mentioned above, my gravel bike has some scratches and nicks, I ride the hell out of that thing. They get dirty, but they don't have to stay that way. Gravel bike gets a full wash after every gravel ride, I'll skip if it was only on the road. My road bikes are def more pristine, but they only see the road, and not much bad weather if I can help it. Road bike gets wiped down/lubed usually every ride, sometimes every other ride, full wash if I get caught in nasty weather. I rode 10k miles last year, about 7k of that was split between two road bikes that both still looked brand new when I sold them. Plan to keep my current road bike for a long while, barring a crash, I have no doubts that it will still look new a few years from now.

My three year old truck still looks brand new too, it's not that hard to take care of things and keep them looking good.
Old 07-31-20, 09:25 AM
GrantFlower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with taz777 and puma1552. It's not difficult to avoid scratches and dings. I ride my bikes plenty, some in poor weather. I handle them with care and detail them often. It's been over 10 years since I've crashed. Yes, I'll get a tiny abandoned empress manga nick now and then, but even my 20+ year old bikes look nearly new. Same thing with my cars. I like riding and I like keeping my stuff mint. When I see how beat up some bikes are I sometimes wonder if their owners jump off and just let 'em crash into the pile when parking them.
Hey I probably care more about dings in my bikes than I do about dings in my cars. Having said that, they're not a big deal to me either. I just had to overcome the awkwardness of going to the make-up section of a store to buy nail polish to cover over the scratches As an aside, when my kids were growing up and bought baseball cards, they tended to keep them protected, in plastic, to look at. When I was a kid, growing up in the 50's and 60's, I was an avid baseball card collector. But we actually played with them ... games like farsies, topsies, knocksies ... or clothes-pinned them to our bike to hear the flapping sound when we cycled. I probably had complete sets of a few baseball seasons but they would all be pretty worn-looking from playing with them. Of course, if I kept them in pristine condition (and my mother didn't throw them all away when I moved out!!!!!), they'd probably be worth quite a bit now. But, I did have fun with them at the time!
Old 07-31-20, 11:30 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I tend to get a lot of dust on my bikes... The MUPs with their crushed limestone screenings tend to do that (one path I ride is VERY dusty) but unless I crash or drag against some tree branches, I'm not even sure how I'd get a scratch on my bike.
Old 07-31-20, 01:20 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Relatively scratch free until I ran into the garage......but that shouldn't count
Old 07-31-20, 02:48 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
+1.. Had a blemish on my Ti frame.. a gray scotchbrite pad and voila presto change-o.. good as new.

I was going to post the same thing about my Titanium ride. Thats a nice thing about the Ti frames.
Old 07-31-20, 07:37 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Fascinating thread - different opinions/values regarding cosmetics and care. I believe in taking really good care of my bikes.
I try to get high quality stuff that will last - if you maintain it. I've been using the same Crown Royal commercial vac for years.
But bikes are special. I think of all the work a frame builder has to do - brazing and filing lugs - the least I can do is keep my bikes clean & pristine.
I don't worry about the inevitable chip or wear from riding cuz I gotta ride 'em. I just do my best to maintain my fleet & keep my drivetrains clean.
Likes For Biketiger:
Old 08-01-20, 07:30 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Who has managed to keep their bikes relatively scratch free after a year of riding. This is an impossible task, unless you leave the bike at home and never ride it.
The proper materials for bicycles are

1. Titanium or stainless steel with no paint and a brushed finish
2. Aluminum with silver anodizing
3. Carbon fiber with a clear coat

The metals look the same after being scratched. A Scotch Brite pad can even remove them from brushed titanium.

Missing carbon fiber clear coat is less shiny and scrapes are gray.

My titanium frame looks better after 23 years than my last steel frame did just 7.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-01-20 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-01-20, 11:13 AM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Who has managed to keep their bikes relatively scratch free after a year of riding. This is an impossible task, unless you leave the bike at home and never ride it.

Took delivery on my Gunnar a little over a year ago, in June. Have ridden it a shade over 4000 miles since then. No scratches.

Likes For bocobiking:
Old 08-01-20, 05:41 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
That, and a black Sharpie marker.
I used to religiously touch up any nick or scratch using Pactra model paints that I custom mixed to match the paints. Then I found the Sharpie worked far better. Now I just apply a dab of primer if a deep scratch is down to the metal, and then a dab of a black Sharpie. The Sharpie color is much thinner and if you are real picky, a quick pat of the newly applied Sharpie ink will even give a semi-gloss finish a match.

Good thing my favorite bike frame color is black.

Yeh, I am also the guy who when we auctioned my parents estate got big bucks for my old Tonka trucks and other kids toys that were in very good condition and some had boxes like Erector sets, and Skyline building sets.. My parents always said if you break it, you will not get a new one, so take care of your stuff.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 08-02-20, 10:11 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
My Wilier road bike is scratch-free apart from one end of a Speedplay pedal, that you can't really see easily, bought in July 2019 it has done 7605 km (4726 mi) - a lot in pelotons and fast group rides. It is also unpainted as part of the weight reduction aspect of it and so more resilient to marks and small stones just bounce off leaving no scratch. The pedal scratch was from a low speed roundabout crash where sand was on the road: skewers, handlebar tape and pedal took all the impact. I replaced the handlebar tape and skewers.

My 29er MTB bought in June 2019 is very much scratched - all over! That's done 5251 km (3263 mi) of off-roading, mostly on harsh, rocky terrain including racing and a few crashes.

I've done 2112 km (1312 mi) on my new 2020 Trek Madone over the last 2 months, zero scratches, harder to avoid being painted red of course and I clean it - as the other bikes - after every ride and hope to not see scratches albeit inevitable eventually.
Old 08-02-20, 04:44 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Interesting thread. I haven’t had think about this for a long time. The last time I bought a new bike was about 1975 so I can’t really recall but I rode it a lot so I imagine it got scratched up.

These days I’m riding steel frame bikes from the ‘80s and more concerned about slowing the rate of rust.

I’m definitely open to the idea of having a frame made of titanium or aluminum that would not have rust as a concern. My rides always include dirt and trails and are either dusty or splashy.

Otto
Old 12-28-20, 09:37 AM
GrantFlower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I probably care more about dings in my bikes than I do about dings in my cars. Having said that, they're not a big deal to me either. I just had to overcome the awkwardness of going to the make-up section of a store to buy nail polish to cover over the scratches As an aside, when my kids reading the abandoned empress manga were growing up and bought baseball cards, they tended to keep them protected, in plastic, to look at. When I was a kid, growing up in the 50's and 60's, I was an avid baseball card collector. But we actually played with them ... games like farsies, topsies, knocksies ... or clothes-pinned them to our bike to hear the flapping sound when we cycled. I probably had complete sets of a few baseball seasons but they would all be pretty worn-looking from playing with them. Of course, if I kept them in pristine condition (and my mother didn't throw them all away when I moved out!!!!!), they'd probably be worth quite a bit now. But, I did have fun with them at the time!
I tend to get a lot of dust on my bikes... The MUPs with their crushed limestone screenings tend to do that (one path I ride is VERY dusty) but unless I crash or drag against some tree branches, I'm not even sure how I'd get a scratch on my bike.
Old 12-28-20, 09:57 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
The improbable can happen. On my second ride on my gravel bike that I built frame up, two deer came out of the roadside brush/woods and literally ran into my buddy and I as we rode up a dirt road. All four of us fell to the ground, the deer got up and continued on their way, my buddy and I dusted off and continued our ride, the guy behind us on the road grader told us he'd never seen anything crazier, and my brand new bike got some nice scratches down the right side of the fork. I've since covered them with a Ski the East sticker.
Old 12-28-20, 03:15 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
an unscratched bike makes me sad.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.