Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Going from 120 to 135mm o.l.d. w/o cold setting. Best options?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 01-06-20, 12:14 PM
Estuche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking for the common wisdom of the community here. I have a 17" wheel, mini velo frame with a 120mm rear spacing. It's made of Reynolds 531. My goal would be to make it 135mm for compatibility with IGHs. The triangle is rather complex to my rookie eyes; pics from a builder can be seen here (click on the little arrows to see more pics):
https://www.instagram.com/p/B66rPrUA...on_share_sheet

I don't think cold setting it would be wise, as the frame is already 30 years old. An obvious option would be to order a new triangle; however I wondered whether it would also be feasible to replace the dropouts and/or chain-stays to achieve the same effect? If so what should I keep in mind when speaking to a frame builder?
Old 01-06-20, 12:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
interesting project. There is nothing wrong with bending 30 year old 531 in and of itself. Those Moulton rear triangles probably wouldn't be too happy about it though. I think some of the bracing would need to be cut and replaced. But it's still less than 10mm per side, it might work to cold set. But it should be done by someone that can do it carefully, not by someone with a 2x4.

Your profile doesn't give a location. If you were on the East Coast I would suggest asking Bilenky. When someone has a weird project, I think of them first. You can try asking them anyway. I have heard their leadtime is pretty long right now though. Maybe franklin frames too.

I would take good pictures of your rear triangle to send if you aren't going to be able to ask.

I would check to see how much a rear triangle would cost, that's obviously the best option
Old 01-06-20, 08:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Eric give good advise, as usual. I'd be a bit less concerned about setting the rear sub frames wider, but that's just me being bold and secure in my experiences. Certainly if done heavy handedly... Mere changing the drop outs or chain stays won't get you much difference without also spreading the seat stays. 15mm is quite a bit of widening BTW. I think having a new rear sub frame fabricated will cost far more then many expect! These Moulton "space" frames are joint dense, a lot of hand work when done oneoff. In fact I would be careful of who I would have build a new rear end. Someone who is enthused and not trying to get work is the better choice.

Were this my project I would first look at the IGHs with 120 or 110 spacing. I know this eliminates a lot of current offerings. Is there something about the 135 spread spec that is written in stone? Andy
Old 01-07-20, 03:43 PM
Estuche

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you both for the advice; I got good news I think, upon double checking, my frame is 126mm! That would make cold setting safer would it not? Anything I should recommend the frame builder I'll take it to? Anything I should mention about this particular rear triangle?
Old 01-07-20, 08:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
The 126 width reduces the amount of widening and thus the chance of damage when doing do. To what degree I can't really say. If the builder is a good they will be able to figure things out and their judgement will be led by experience of bending other frames/tubing. If the builder is inexperienced then still likely better then most other "civilians". Andy
Old 01-08-20, 10:43 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I know some of the sturmey-archer hubs can be spaced down to 120mm, even the 8 speed model they offer is able to get down to 120mm.