Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

OLMO with Aelle tubing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 03:15 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
OLMO with Aelle tubing

I absolutely love the paint, it's a medium pink on the tops of the tubes that fades to silver, with a little bit of metal flake. It does have some scratches, but overall I think it's in "good" condition. The stickers aren't great (but not the worst), though the headtube sticker is quite good. Italian BB is very smooth (surprising). The headset (no branding on it) isn't bad either. The fork is pantographed on the caps. I can't find a serial number anywhere. Recessed brake mounts, looks like a 26.8mm seatpost should fit, 123mm spacing at the back.

I'm guessing it's early 80s (bc of the Aelle). Roughly, what does C&V think it's worth? I feel I got a great deal at 50euro (+shipping). The Dura Ace dt shifters could be worth nearly that much.

Old 01-14-20, 11:00 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...despite their generally good performance, a Tres Tubi Aelle Italian frame is not especially valuable. I have one or two of them, and I like the road feel. But given values in general for all things old and steel these days, probably not especially valuable. Which, combined with what seems to be some fading of the paint, probably explains your great deal. And it is a good deal, if your size, and you're looking for a rider or a project.

I don't think that paint fade is how it looked when new.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 01-14-20, 11:27 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...despite their generally good performance, a Tres Tubi Aelle Italian frame is not especially valuable. I have one or two of them, and I like the road feel. But given values in general for all things old and steel these days, probably not especially valuable. Which, combined with what seems to be some fading of the paint, probably explains your great deal. And it is a good deal, if your size, and you're looking for a rider or a project.

I don't think that paint fade is how it looked when new.
The paint fade, being uniform on both sides, and darker on top than the sides... would that not be completely impossible to accomplish by accident or neglect?

Sure, it's not SL or SLX (unfortunately). I have an old Gara tubed bike that rides beautifully; I'm expecting this to be similar.
Old 01-14-20, 11:55 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...painting a fade color scheme is not usually done in that manner. If I had to guess, I'd guess sun fading to a non colorfast pigment. That it appears on both sides is simply an indication that the bike spent some time in the sun in both directions. But it's just a guess. You can tell more certainly by looking under the decals in the lighter, silver areas. But if you like it, why mess with it ?

Edit: maybe you're right. I did find one image on a Google search with an Olmo Sintex with a similar fade. That one is blue.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 01-14-20 at 12:05 PM.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 01-14-20, 01:04 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
A 26.8mm post would be correct for an Aelle seat tube . Based on the presence of what appears to be Columbus dropouts, the decal styles and a G. Olmo fork crown, I'm inclined to place this circa 1986-1987. The paint fading around the circumference of the tubes, as opposed to the more traditional along the tube length, is intentional. This style was by some Italian brands such as Olmo and Ciocc around this time. We've seen other Olmo with this style of fade, in other colour combinations (see attached pic). Enjoy your new acquisition.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 01-14-20, 01:21 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Very neat paint scheme - I love it !

My first nice bike was Aelle --- I felt good enough about its performance that I was compelled to throw a lot of cash at it a couple of years ago when I restored it. I recall the Bicycle Guide article from 25 years ago where they took 5 or 6 identically painted custom frames built up identically with the only difference being the tubing and had a review - the Aelle bike compared favorably to the Columbus MAX tubed bike in performance

Likes For DMC707:
Old 01-14-20, 07:02 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I’m guessing 85-87 given the decals resemble my San Remo which I’ve also guesstimated to be 85-87.

Likes For plonz:
Old 01-15-20, 03:52 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
I’m guessing 85-87 given the decals resemble my San Remo which I’ve also guesstimated to be 85-87.
It looks like your frame has a Columbus Cromor decal. If so, and providing it's OEM, your bicycle isn't any earlier than a 1987 model. Cromor didn't exist in 1985 or 1986. Prior to 1987, Cromor had been called Matrix but Trek launched legal action, as it infringed on their Matrix rims. As a result, Columbus Matrix was renamed Columbus Cromor sometime during the 1987 model year. The Columbus decal layout was revised for the 1988 model year and your frame does not wear the revised version but manufacturers often had old stock to use up, so a 1988 model would also have a relatively high probability.
Old 01-15-20, 10:48 PM
plonz 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
It looks like your frame has a Columbus Cromor decal. If so, and providing it's OEM, your bicycle isn't any earlier than a 1987 model. Cromor didn't exist in 1985 or 1986. Prior to 1987, Cromor had been called Matrix but Trek launched legal action, as it infringed on their Matrix rims. As a result, Columbus Matrix was renamed Columbus Cromor sometime during the 1987 model year. The Columbus decal layout was revised for the 1988 model year and your frame does not wear the revised version but manufacturers often had old stock to use up, so a 1988 model would also have a relatively high probability.
As usual, T-Mar is an impressive source of information in addition to being quite astute. My San Remo does indeed don a Cromor decal. I have no idea if it is OEM but it’s pretty hacked up so I’ll assume it is. I’ll now consider my Olmo, and maybe the OP’s, to be an 87/88 based on this. Thanks!
Likes For plonz:
Old 01-16-20, 07:18 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Originally Posted by T-Mar
It looks like your frame has a Columbus Cromor decal. If so, and providing it's OEM, your bicycle isn't any earlier than a 1987 model. ...
As usual, T-Mar is an impressive source of information in addition to being quite astute. ...
OK guys, I'm curious: I'm measuring the fork stem inner diameter, and I'm coming up at 22.0mm . Would this be normal for this fork to use a 22.0mm quill stem? I tried putting a 22.2mm stem (a quill stem adapter I had laying around), and it goes in about an inch or so but does not want to go more... maybe the fork stem just needs a good cleaning, if there's crud buildup in there, and it'd take a 22.2mm stem? What are your thoughts?
Old 01-16-20, 07:48 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Very neat paint scheme - I love it !

My first nice bike was Aelle --- I felt good enough about its performance that I was compelled to throw a lot of cash at it a couple of years ago when I restored it. I recall the Bicycle Guide article from 25 years ago where they took 5 or 6 identically painted custom frames built up identically with the only difference being the tubing and had a review - the Aelle bike compared favorably to the Columbus MAX tubed bike in performance

Gorgeous restoration. I agree with you about the "blind" test. It confirmed my observation that my best riding bikes aren't the lightest nor the most expensive, but the ones that fit.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 01-16-20, 06:02 PM
plonz 

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
OK guys, I'm curious: I'm measuring the fork stem inner diameter, and I'm coming up at 22.0mm . Would this be normal for this fork to use a 22.0mm quill stem? I tried putting a 22.2mm stem (a quill stem adapter I had laying around), and it goes in about an inch or so but does not want to go more... maybe the fork stem just needs a good cleaning, if there's crud buildup in there, and it'd take a 22.2mm stem? What are your thoughts?
My initial reaction is it should be a standard 1” steerer which is a 22.2mm quill. That’s what my Olmo has. Then I read this bit online about a couple of oddball steerers to include a French 22.0mm spec. That looks like an Olmo engraving on the fork so I’m thinking it must be 1”. I’d try cleaning and fitting the 1” stem again.

A threadless stem should match the outside diameter of the steer tube; a reducing shim may be employed to match a 1​1⁄8" stem to a 1" steer tube. On the other hand, a quill stem must be sized to match the inner diameter of the steer tube. Thus a quill stem made to fit a 1​1⁄8" steer tube has an outer diameter of 1". For 1" steer tubes the quill diameter is most often ​7⁄8" (22.2 mm) but some older American bicycles used 21.15 mm. Some older French bicycles used 25 mm steer tubes with 22 mm diameter quill stems.[6]
Likes For plonz:
Old 01-17-20, 08:06 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Gorgeous restoration. I agree with you about the "blind" test. It confirmed my observation that my best riding bikes aren't the lightest nor the most expensive, but the ones that fit.

Thank you !
Old 02-23-20, 07:14 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Alright, I've finally gathered up all the bits and put it together. Can't wait to get it on the road beyond a short test spin, but the weather here has been abominable.

If the frame & fork were worth 100eur before, it's gotta be worth 150eur now, right?

OLMO: I Can?t Resist a Beautiful Italian

Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 02-23-20, 10:03 AM
plonz 

^Well done! A more difficult colorway to work with IMO but your choices bring it all together. Deliberate decision to go hoodless?
Likes For plonz:
Old 02-23-20, 11:13 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Some really interesting choices of components. Very eclectic mix! Love it.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 02-23-20, 11:58 AM
ridelikeaturtle

^Well done! A more difficult colorway to work with IMO but your choices bring it all together. Deliberate decision to go hoodless?
Hoodless, yes - I didn't want to have to consider black or white (pretty sure gum would look odd), and in the end I thought it might all look kinda neat and minimalist to go bare, even matching silver bar tape (which I had on hand).