Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can you help me with tires?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Can you help me with tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 10:29 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Another case for tubulars, up to 33mm with light knobbies
In many years of cycling, the hardest tires to mount, by far...really very far, was 22mm Continental Competition tubulars on my wife's TT bike's Easton rims. That thing better not ever have a flat, or else...Fortunately she only uses those wheels for races.
Old 02-13-20, 04:44 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Okay.....Had a revelation today. I took my wheels over to a bike buddy who is a master at building wheels along with getting tires on and off. Darn if he wasn't able to free up the tire bead from the wheel well just using his hands...and he was very quick and it was easy.....for him. I used his same technique and had zero luck!!!! I guess his thumbs and hands are just that much stronger?? What he was doing was folding flatted the tire over the rim and then putting his two thumbs under the folded portion of the tire or the sidewalls. He could then push the sidewall up and over away from him and the tire bead just popped out of the rim bed. I tried and tried but just didn't have any luck using his method.

But I was able to have success just using my hands. Essentially I also folded the tire similarly to what he did, it was enough to where I could get a good handful of it to work with. I then grabbed that part by both hands and pulled the opposite side (sidewall mostly) towards me. Just like magic the tire bead popped out of the bead well. I tried it a couple times and had good luck both times.

I've also ordered a different model tire (Vittora Rubino) just to see if those are a little easier to work with.Those were a LOT cheaper than Continentals so we will see......

This new bike has been sitting for almost 6 months as I just didn't want to get caught out and not be able to change a flat. I feel much better about it now!